The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Before attending the University of Alabama I got the idea that the student population would be full of southern gentlemen and belles. Everyone is very polite and very welcoming. In my opinion there is a stereotype that the University of Alabama is very sorority and fraternity oriented. While this is true and the Greek community is a large part of the campus, more than half the population is not Greek. However, I don't think that the students involved in the Greek community are stereotypical "frat guys and sorority girls"; everyone is polite and accepting. There is definitely a group for everyone. If Greek life is your thing, there is definitely that. There are also plenty of sports teams, clubs, activities, and different groups to join.

Due to the unfortunate location of the University of Alabama... in Alabama, we already receive the stereotype of being sibling-marrying hicks, but add in a very active football community, and you get sibling-marrying, loud, rowdy, overly-emotional, drunken hicks. The guys all wear red polo shirts and the girls are decked out in houndstooth. The alternative side to that is the elitist nature of the Greek society (which is elitist no matter where you go, despite how much they might pretend otherwise). So when you fuse those two elements together, you get poised and proper rednecks who think they're better than anyone else because they get louder and drunker than anyone else on Saturday nights.

A common stereotype exist between Greek members and other non-Greek students. Greek life is a major part of the University of Alabama.Many people argue that Greeks run the University of Alabama. Personally, I think this stereotype is accurate because Greek Life is a major part of the University of Alabama. Many argue that Greek students are primarily business major with little future ahead of them. However, I argue that there are several other majors to consider,as well as many intelligent Greek members.Greeks should not be included in this stereotype.

That at least 75% of this school is made up of Greek. This is absolutely not true. There are roughly only about 28% of students that are Greek. But, yes you do see a lot of girls with messy hair, XXXL t-shirts, and Nike shorts with bright colored nike tennis shoes on. This is nothing out of the ordinary. It really isn't that bad and you get used to seeing it around quickly.

The students at the University of Alabama are mainly stereotyped as either Fraternity/ Sorority kids or GDI (non-greek) kids. Although I am not fond of these terms used to describe the students, this is basically how the student community really is. The good thing about our campus is that there is a lot to offer to anyone whether you are in the greek system or not.

The University of Alabama does have a very large greek system with more sororities and fraternities constantly being built. Although there are many frat kids amongst the student population at the University there are also many other things going on that people who do not decide to "go greek" can get involved in.

The stereotype is that Alabama is a party school. Not true at all! Sure we have parties, but what college doesn't. The students here at Alabama are focused and here to get and education first and foremost. Everything else comes second to graduating in four years with a degree.

The stereotype is that sports is the only thing that matters, but the environment is extremely welcoming. This stereotype is very true. Sports, especially football, are king but everyone is very cordial and it brings about southern charm.

Common stereotypes for students at UA is definitely greek girls/guys, the smart kids, the stoners, and the older students.

I don't truly believe that there are any stereotypes of students at my school. There's just so many of us.