The University of Alabama Top Questions

I moved to Georgia, from Kentucky, my senior year of high school. It seems trivial now, but I think that it affected me more than anybody realized. I sunk into depression and didn't enjoy my senior year as much as I should have. If I could go back and talk to myself now, I would hold my own hand and tell myself that it gets so much better. I never could've imagined the opportunities that I have been given. Being in college has allowed me to experience so much more than I ever thought possible. I would tell myself that if I hadn't moved my senior year, I probably never would've considered applying to University of Alabama. This is where I ended up because of the move, and I couldn't be more thankful for it. I have found my new home. I would love to be able to tell myself a year ago the amazing things that were in store for me, but then again, maybe the fact that I didn't already know, made me that much more thankful for my new life.

Mollie

Have fun but always keep education first. You will not like every professor or class but push through it. Find what you are good at and try to be the best you can be at it. You have to like what you do to be successful.

Alaina

Not to get caught up in making people think differently about you. Don't care what people think and they will beg for your attention.

I hear a lot of my friends using the buzzwords "no regrets." Adopting those words cavalierly makes making snap decisions or actions thoughtless. And I have found in my ripe old age of twenty-one that thoughtless decisions and actions result in the ones with the most horrifying regrets. I would tell my former high school self to live spontaneously in the exciting moments of college but not so aggressively that using your noodle is abandoned. I would tell her to always stop and think about the consequences of her actions. This is not to deny freedom but to ensure freedom for lifetime. For unresolved regret can steal happiness. And as for a tidbit of simple and practical advice: Practice diciplined time management!

The only advice I would give to my high school self would be to work more hours at your job. I am extremely happy with my choice of school and would not change my choice for anything. I only wish that I had not cut my hours at my job, to be able to spend more time with friends I don’t keep in contact with anymore. After winter break, I now see how useless that was because I am at school 14 hours away from home and barely talk to anyone from my high school. If I had worked more I would have possibly doubled the amount of money I made for college. I am also trying to pay my way through college on my own without any financial assistance from my parents. Senior year I didn’t really realize I wanted this. Now that I have practically started a new life, I feel like a true adult and want to be able take on some responsibilities that come along with this new freedom. Don’t sacrifice college money for friends. You will make all new ones and be even happier than you were in high school.

I would tell myself to stop worrying what people thought of me so much. I was extremely self conscious in high school about my looks, what people thought of me and what could come of every single action I made. I wish that I would have been a bit more social, I was always the one to turn down going to a pool party and instead stay in and read a book because I was worried that people woldn't like what they saw when I put on a swimsuit. Nobody has the "perfect body" and God didn't intend for any of us to be perfect. I would also tell myself not to date someone just because everyone wanted me to. I know now that if someone doesn't have a positive impact on me, I don't need that person in my life. When I came to college I saw that half of the stuff I worried about doesn't matter. I now have so many great friends that I wouldn't trade for the world and high school didn't affect that at all. Lastly, I would tell myself have faith in God's plan for me.

I would give myself the advice of applying for more scholarhsips and looking for more money for school. Simply so that when I got to college I would not have to worry about how my rent is going to get paid for the next month, or wonder if I was going to have to eat noodles for dinner for a whole week straight. Financial stress is the worst stress that you can have while you are in college it can completely take your focus away from school, and you will fail!

Joey

Hello Joey, I have been in collge for about a semester now, and I have to tell you, the transition could have gone a little bit better. For starters, I do not like my roommates. If I were you I would go on the University of Alabama Facebook page and seek out some people that you could see yourself being friends with. Another thing, nurture your relationships with your good friends in Kentucky. You will want people to hangout with when you come back in town for break. I would also encourage you to look into exactly what you want to major in, and find out what you can do with that degree. I picked a business major, but am thinking about changing to something like international business. One last thing, don't worry about girls. Worry about your personal development first. Get involved on campus, and don't force friendships if you're the one putting in most of the effort. Sincerly, Joey Vranicar

Think for yourself. You don't have to be a part of this club or that club just because you're sorority sisters are. Join something that you're interested in because it is what YOU like, not because it will impress someone else. If you aren't interested in what you're learning and want to change your major, DO IT. Don't let money or someone's negative attitude determine your career path. You'll learn this lesson as you go throughout your college career through experience, but try to start out with the right mindset. You are here to learn about yourself, to better yourself, and to ultimately leave with an education and an experience that will equip you with the skills you need to live the rest of your life. So do it for YOU, not for any other person.

Dear Kelsey, Lacrosse is the most familiar thing in the world to you. I know it is your security blanket in the realm of social experiences, and I know it is how you identify yourself. I also know that when you attend the University of Alabama you will join the club lacrosse team there, because your entire life you have played lacrosse. You will be interested in so many other organizations and club sports, but club lacrosse will be where you settle because "it is what you have always done". Kelsey, do not ever live life doing things because "it is what you have always done". College is filled with so many amazing opportunities. Get out there and try everything that interests you in the slightest bit. Never be afraid to chose the unfamilar option. Keep yourself interesting by doing things that interest you. SIncerely, The older better version of you.

nichalas

The only thing I could tell myself to help is that studying is so important!

I would tell myself to put myself out there more. I was shy my first year and even beyond that. This year, as a junior, I have made a concious effort to not be so self-concious. Moving far away from home from the Midwest to the South is a big step. It is important to be aware that things will not be as easy as they were in high school.

Given the opportunity to go back and talk to myself, I would say to not try to do everything on your own. You want to act like an adult and believe that don't need anybody's help, but you're going to learn that you do and when this happens, you need to be the adult you think you are and own up. Stop being petty (because you know you are) and realize that the adults in your life are just trying to help you succeed. You need to not only listen, but take their advice seriously. Accepting help doesn not show weakness, but is a sign that you are growing up and shows that you are becoming a responsible adult.

To do what you want and to not let others determine your future.

Advice I would give to myself as a high school senior: Put school before any and everything. No matter how much time you may think it will take up, or away from your social life take every opportunity and advantage that is given to you to be involved in your school. Don't care what people think about you. You're not there to please everyone, you're there to get your education to help better your future and career. Keep your grades up all year, do everything you can to keep your GPA as high as possible. Don't try and take the easy way out of everything because in the long run it can only hurt you. Stay involved, and join any clubs that you are eligible for.

Adarius

The advice that I would give myself is to be more in tune of your surroundings than ever before and also study more everyday.

Jade

I would tell myself to learn better study techniques so that I would be more prepared for my freshman year of college.

First and foremost, I would tell myself to not worry about choosing a major. I changed my major twice after moving away to college, which I now know is completely normal. Although I do believe I had better time management skills then most due to my busy schedule in high school, I would tell myself to make sure I allow time for relaxation. Life gets pretty hectic once college begins. You're constantly balancing classes, homework, your social life, and campus clubs and activities; it's important to give your body the relaxation it needs to get through all of this stuff. Alongside relaxing, I would also remind myself to make time for the things I enjoy. I really slacked on my blog my freshman year, which was my outlet for how I was feeling. It's so incredibly crucial to keep doing what you enjoy, and that applies to every area in college: your clubs, classes, majors, minors, what have you. College is supposed to be fun and yes, it will get stressful, but only as much as you allow it to.

Hayden

If i could journey back in time and have the opportunity to talk with myself as a highschool senior, I would explain to myself that I need to focus more on school and put more effort into making the best grades possible. I would explain to learn the discipline of balancing my school work and social life better. As a freshman at the University of Alabama, I have learned that school comes before social and the this teaches the responsibility of putting a future job first and all social activites come after this is mastered.

Jalen

If I could go back in time, I'd tell my high school senior self that college is a great opportunity to advance in life’s endeavors. I'd say that paying for a proper education in Engineering is a hassle without extra money. I would say I should apply for scholarships because it will allow me to establish myself, educate the black community, and create technology that’ll prolong the life of Earth. I would convice myself that I will be able to acquire necessary programs and research tools that’ll ultimately allow me to continue to pay for my education. I'd say follow your passion so you can someday build a company that will donate money to inner cities through events, teach young black children how to program and understand technology, and represent young educated black men. Jalen, get yourself together so that you can make your dent in the universe. So you can own a company that not only would create jobs, but would create intelligence enhancing technology and convert almost everything into a solar powered format. Get yourself together so you can change the world Jalen.

Chandler

The primary thing I would want to tell myself is to stay positive and remain humble. Humility is such a rare quality in college freshmen, although I feel it is so incredibly important. Those who are not humble are tumultuous and unhealthy. However, I would also remind myself that humility does not mean thinking less of yourself, it simply means to think of yourself less. I would tell myself to make gratitude the center of my life. Wake up every morning with a thankful heart. I have learned that confidence is so important in college, and I know that I was lacking in that area while I was in high school. So to end my advice to my younger self, I would quote the late Maya Angelou and tell myself, "No one even holds a candle to the light God already has shining on your face." Thank you.

Randall

If I could go back, I would have many tips to teach myself. Making new friends is very important, and they can help you by studying as a team. Having true friends is key, the friends that want to see you succeed. I am not the partying type, and I am glad to not be associated with bad influences. Staying organized is far more important in college. I have had two exams and a research paper due at the same time during my freshman year in college. That was never the case in high school. I have learned that repitition is key to success. You need to communicate with your instructors. I have paid to go to school there, and I have paid to talk to my teachers for help when I need it. Faith is crucial when being a full time student and a full time worker. I have a dream of becoming a nurse, and I have accepted all of the stress that comes with this load. I do my personal best, and ask God to allow me to stay strong and do what is right. In the end, you know what the transition takes.

Calvin

College is important, there are more opportunities available than you can participate in. With that in mind, be sure to think things through - what will help you develop most? Whether through internships, co-ops, clubs, or research it is essential to stay active. From classes alone, one does not develop fully.

Drew

If I could go back to my final year of high school I would have taken care of choosing a university to attend a lot earlier. During my senior year of high school I knew what I wanted to major in, but I did not know what school I wanted to attend until late in the school year around Spring. After visiting many schools, I finally chose a school that I felt I would be successful at, but I had made the decision so late that I missed a lot of opportunities for financial aid. This resulted in me missing out on grant money, as well as scholarships that I would have been eligible for if I had searched and applied much earlier than I did. Getting the application process out of the way ahead of the bunch would have put me in a much better position for financing my education, and that is the main concern I have with college.

College life has been the most challenging, rewarding, and impactful series of events that I have ever experienced. However, if I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, one of the most profound pieces of advice I would give myself is this: do not be afraid to fail. Too often have I been told that in order to be successful in college, I must be social and outgoing, but also study hard and get good grades. No one told me what I should do in the event that I do fail at something, whether in a class, in a relationship, or something else. I have learned that not doing well in something that I usually excel in has made me not only a better student, but also a better person. I reflect on what I faltered in and immediately improve on it. My peers have noticed this quality in me and have complimented me on it, and it is something that I cherish dearly of myself. So indeed, I would tell my high school senior self to not break down in the face of future failure: it will only make you stronger.

Jyl

Dear high school senior, After graduation, there will be a huge transition in your life. College is nothing like high school. You are going to feel vulnerable, yet independent. When you attend Northwest Shoals Community College, you will be satisfied with the atmosphere because the classes will be an average size and the majority of students will have a similar background. You will get to live at home, yet you are going to manage your own time. It will be a difficult transition from high school, however, because teachers will not be telling you what tasks to fulfill or to follow a certain schedule. Your success will completely depend on your motivation. When you attend the University of Alabama, you will have an even more difficult transition. The University is about twenty times bigger than the community college you attended and the social scene will be much different than you grew up around. You are from a small town and Tuscaloosa, Alabama is a very diverse city. You will be exposed to differnt cultures, religions, and backgrounds. You will, also, be living in your own apartment. It will be a frightening experience, but don't give up. Achieve your goals.

Davis

When I was in high school I would often get caught up in the juicy gossip of the day – the “blank said blank about blank” and all other excuses to terminate a good friendship or spread gossip about an ‘enemy’. Now that I am in college and have settled down the emotional schizophrenia of high school, I hear the stories from my younger friends about the same things that, 2 years ago, I would have been telling and I see that it’s not about the actual event, it’s about the excitement that follows the gossip. I now realize that it is so stupid to let these little things control your life. If I have a problem with somebody I address it with them calmly, if they want to react negatively then the blame is on them. And if I somebody has a problem with me I try to understand what I can do to neutralize it, if there is no reasoning with them then I let the moment pass. I only get one life and I can’t waste it trying to correct every bad thing anyone thinks about me.

Go in and take advantage of every opportunity that comes at you whether it interests you or not. If you still dont like it once you're involved you can always stop. Its worse to pass on an opportunity and later wish you took it. And studying your brains out instead of going out for thirtsy thursday? Totally always worth it, so dont feel bad when you stay in while everyone is out.

Lacee

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have to give myself the advice of making a habit of not procrastinating and time management. I have a planner to decide when I am going to do certain things but I always forget to look in my planner. I should have made that a better habit when I was in high school rather than try to start now. I also have a problem with doing something I like (i.e. Reading) and doing it for a long enough time that I don't leave myself enough time to get the important stuff done. That's a time management problem for me. So the things I would have to inform myself if I could write a letter to myself as a senior in high school, is about learning to not procrastinate and to manage my time better.

emerald

I would tell myself that money will come after graduation and that you don't have to work so much. Credit cards you pay your school with can be paid off later. It will be hard and it will seem unfair that others get financial aid because they got pregnant and you don't because you decided to wait. House chores can wait till after you finish your school work, school is more important. And, no matter what happens to Papa, he will always want you to do well in school and pull yourself together. You need to see that hard times will pass and the better you keep yourself together and push through those hard times the easier life will be later. Also you need to keep all rewards, certificates and evaluations given to you to help build your portfolio.

Jocelyn

There is tons of advice I would give myself. First off, I would tell myself to do better on the placement test, that way I wouldn’t have wasted time on unnecessary classes. All it did was take more time to complete an Associate’s Degree and waste my time. I would also tell myself to manage my money carefully. I shouldn’t t have wasted it on things I didn’t need and should have saved it for future expenses, like a university where it is more expensive. I would also tell myself that college is harder than high school and there will be more homework and tests will be much more complicated than in high school. It is also important to become more involved in clubs and activities while in college. Asking questions during lectures is also important and will help you better understand the material. There are many more things I would tell myself but I am limited. The most important is to try your best and you will go far in your college experience.

If I told myself that college was going to actually require study time, I would have laughed at my future self. Knowing myself, I would need something more than my future self telling me what I need to do. Instead of trying to convince myself to study, I would bring a copy of my transcripts from my first time through college, which was a 2.8 GPA average, and a copy of my recent college work which was a 4.0 GPA average. Now that I've got my past-self's attention I would go on to explain that all the fun things that will happen in college are not bad in themselves, but will have damaging effects on our academics if our time isn't managed well. I would also advise myself to not judge myself so harshly. People will not like us, but we shouldn't base the "who we are" on how we think other people think of us; you'll be much happier once you've learned this lesson. Then I would recap what I just said because I enjoy bullet points: time management, study hard, and love yourself.

Sylvia

I would like to tell you that you are a intelligent person, and you have the potential to do great things in life. However, your journey will not be as easy as the paths you have been on before now. Instead of stepping on pebbles, you will now climb up rocky hills and sometimes move mountains to get your destination. But as I have said before, you have great potential. I believe in you; however, I know you do not believe in yourself because you lack confidence. I know you can not just look in the mirror right after reading this letter and feel like the most confident person in the world. But I know if you can at least look in the mirror once a day, and tell yourself that you can complete the most difficult tasks, your confidence will begin to bloom like a daisy. You'll have more success, and you will take more risks. And the best part about confidence is that even when you fail, you know enough of your potential to rise back up to the next challenge. So put a smile on your face and hold your head up high. Be Confident!

Mallori

I have often answered this same queston to my friends and family about this situation. The number one thing I would tell myself would be to take high school classes more seriously. I was never a bad student, but I only worked to make the grades I needed to keep from being grounded. Now, knowing how expensive college is, I would tell myself to work your tail off and earn a fully paid scholarship. Also, to not jump around from career to career but to focus on the path that I was truly passionate about so I would be more determined my first year of college, instead of going with the flow of being a college freshman. I would advise myself to visit more colleges, sit down and learn about what that University could offer before jumping into the University that was familiar. To myself: Take a chance and don't get distracted, keep your mind focused on your path and dont let anyone hold you back, because you will eventually get to where you are going, and it will be worth it.

It would be nice if we could go back in time and talk to oneself with the knowledge and experience of the present time; if this were possible so many people, including myself, could have avoided a lot of wasted time and grief going through college aimlessly. First of all, I would tell myself to go to the high school counselor to ask her what is required by the colleges; what courses and tests should I take to improve my academics and be more attractive to colleges. I would tell Andrea, me, to take more challenging courses, make good grades, focus on challenging courses.. I would tell myself to get advance placement courses to prepare myself better for college level work. I would advice myself to volunteered more in the community and would have gotten involved with groups that best match my interests, such as cancer research. I would study more and prepare myself for the standardize tests that are required for college admission. There's so much I would tell myself if I had the opportunity to go back in time; however, at this time I'm very happy with my choice of career.

Dillon

Exclusively, I would tell myself to be exactly that, myself. A lot of my life I have been the person that everyone else has wanted me to be, and until college my mindset thought no differently. Earlier on in my life, during my high school experience, I should have learned to become less molded to society’s norms, and form my own category. High school has many classifications in its hierarchy, and I with my juvenile naivetés fell for it. Without my college friends, more mature mentality, and especially my college professors, I would have never learned what it feels like to absolutely be myself, and to let go of what others want, becoming exactly who I strive to be. Actions as well as choices play a major part in this, and I know now what it feels like to stray from the average and present who I truly am. If I would have conditioned this into myself earlier then I would have had more vivid goals, and my decision making processes would have become less difficult. This would have taught me that only I have the right answers, and that I cannot search for resolution in others beliefs.

Aubrielle

I would tell myself no matter what, you need to apply for as many scholarships as you possibly can. Making those prepartions to pay for school and potentially having extra money in your pocket pays off in the long run. If you get enough money in scholarships, then will not have to take out loans. Along with that, you need to make sure you prepare yourself for graduate school as soon as you can, so you will not be scrambling to get everything ready to turn in. Once you prepare yourself, you will have plenty of time to have fun with your peers along with getting the good grades.

constantia

Being a high school senior can play a very important role for the career path you decide to take. If I could go back and speak to myself as a high school senior I would give many pointers. Not necessarily bad but just pointers that would actually allow me to really think of life for myself and think ahead. 10 things I wish someone would have told me: 1)commit myself to making lots of mistakes: take a chance, don;t hesitate and dont doubt yourself. 2)Explore new ideas/opportunities: Live to explore. 3)Make swift decisions and take action: knowledge is useless without actions. 4) Always be honest with yourself 5) Accept and embrace change; after all things happen for a reason. 6) Ask questions: inquiring gives you the ability to be adventurous and more knowledgeable. 7) Sit alone in silence for atleast ten minutes every day: hearing your thoughts can allow you to plan, reflect and dream. 8) Excel at what you do: Effort = Results. 9)Use your resources wisely: One day you will remember them. ......and lastly 10) Be who you were born to be: follow your heart; fulfill YOUR dreams and desires.

Sedrik

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now would be to apply for every scholarship that you can. What I realize know is that I didn’t apply for enough scholarships, which is causing me to scramble to find more to help offset the cost of Western Oregon University. I didn’t realize that since Western Oregon University is in Oregon and I live in Vancouver, Washington; which is bordered to Oregon, that I’m considered out of state. Every little bit of scholarship money helps so that you won’t have to take out as much loans to cover the offset of a Bachelor’s degree that you will get starting in the fall of 2013 for criminal justice.

The best advice I could give to an incoming freshman is that if you do not know exactly what career path you want to take it is ok! You have plenty of time to figure it out. I would suggest not declaring a major until you are fully committed to it in order to use your time most efficently and not end up taking a bunch of classes you do not need. Be bold and trust your instincts. College is a place where you can be whoever you want to be. Know who you are and persue your dreams with everything you've got! It will be the best four, or more if you can drag it out, years of your life!

Knowing what I know now about college, there are a few changes that I would advise myself to make. My first year of college was a rough year, for I saw my grades become sub-par allowing my GPA to not meet certain standards I held myself to. I lost my drive, my concern for my grades, and my focus of what the future had in store for me. Nor did I have a regimented study habit, this causing me to fail on tests and quizzes. This pattern continued into my sophomore year. This is when I realized I would not achieve my goals in life if I continued in this pattern. I determined to change my mind-set toward my college education, and to work hard at learning the school material. I now have straight A’s in all the classes I have taken this past year. I am preparing for this upcoming fall semester; transferring to Oklahoma State University from Ozarks Technical Community College where I currently attend. The advice I would give myself as a senior is this; do not give up, study hard, and do not give up on your dream of becoming a landscape contractor.

Sybil

If I could go back in time and speak to myself I would encourage me to follow my own heart. To major in something I loved and not what my parents insisted on me majoring in. I tell me to start my education at a community college to save my mother money on student loans, then transfer to a four year institution. I would surely encourage me to STAY FOCUSED!! No matter what happens stay focused and complete my degree the first time. I would make sure to tell myself to be carefule of who I associated with and surround myself with intellectual people as I was at that time. The main point I would have to instill in me is the importance of a college degree seventeen years later. I would make sure to let myself know that I am smart enough to finish college and to never doubt myself. I would tell myself to seek counseling when feeling overwhelmed and deal with my anxiety issues head on.

Dear my high school self, remember when you couldn’t wait to leave your house and finally have freedom? Well, it isn’t that great. Save every penny you get now, because once you get to college you might not even have enough quarters to do laundry. Being in college, when I find quarters on the ground it almost feels as good as Christmas morning. Don't take those southern home cooked meals for granted, because in college you will have to choose between the usual cardboard pizza, or whatever “fancy” entrée the dining halls have that day (and by fancy, it’s usually a processed fried chicken sandwich, yumm). As for the parties, they get old after the first month. Every party is filled with the exact same events, only different people and locations. I’ve gotten to the point where I would rather do homework then go to a party. Sad, right? Don't procrastinate with your homework! Teachers are so lenient in high school. Once you get to college, they treat you like adults. Maybe it’s because we are? Who knows. Enjoy senior year! Sincerely, the big bad freshman you thought I would be.

Dear Catherine, There are a lot of aspects of your life that are about to change and I want to make sure that you, at 17, are prepared. You see, this version of yourself is now 21. You have had a lot of experiences and are defintely a little wiser. I know you are scared to leave home and meet new people, but starting all over again isn't that scary, its actually liberating, so make the absolute most of it. I know you can by shy, but now is not the time to wait for opportunities to approach you, you have to create them for yourself. Another thing, by the time you graduate in 2014, the job market will be feircly competitive. . I'll tell you that your 21 year old self is extremely involved and in all of the ways you would hope. . You are learning more than you ever imagined but it comes with a price. Don't let yourself forget that no matter how caught up you may get in your involvement, you are at school to study and get good grades. . I may be wiser now, but I am still learning new things everyday.

Dionne

I would have told myself to take a year off to work and save money for college. College is expensive, and I will be surprised at how much food costs at stores here compared to home. Cooking my own home cooked meals will be hard if I do have time to cook, and Ramen noodles will be my staple diet because I will always out of money or close to it. It'll be hard to get on campus housing and those rates will rise at some point; finding affordable apartments is even worse than finding on campus ones because most place charge by location even though they are not worth that much. I will have to learn how to budget and to keep a scheulde in order to be at least moderately successfull in college.

Latasha

I would research all financial aid opportunities. Student loans are a great, last minute way of financing higher education but after college it is extremely expensive to pay back! Knowing what I know now, I am not sure that I would have taken out additional private loans, or at least made wiser decisions about interest rates and promissory notes. I am now left with the burden of trying to pay back student loans without the career that I had studied for in college, and with the way the job market is, my only hope is to go back to school and get my masters degree. I would have also been more active in other student organizations and internships, where possible. All of these activities look fantastic on job resumes!

Jenae

Dear Jenae, First off, take a deep breath because everything will work out, not in the way you want, but it will work out to be just fine. There is so much ahead of you that will be exciting, scarry, and stressful, but you'll get through it. Make sure you apply early (and p.s. you'll decide on going to UA-so don't worry about visiting WVU). Also, don't forget about scholarships, there are tons out there, you just have to sit down and look for them, you'll recieve some, but you going to need A LOT more! Out of state tuition is like murder! When it comes time for housing application, make sure you get it done early, though living in Parham is pretty great! So, on second thought, don't worry about it. When packing, just remember it's small space to be moving into. The few days before you leave, don't forget to do Alcohol Edu. Take a deep breath-everything will be fine, make sure you get everything figured out before you leave. One last thought, have fun, get your work done, excercise alot, and meet new people. Roll Tide!!

The advice that I would give myself would be to take the ACT more seriously and score high on it so that I can get a scholarship to attend any school of my choosing rather than just pay. I would also tell myself that I will need a great work ethic because college is not cheap and I have to be able to help my parents with tuition.

Diandra

I was homeschooled so I would recommend to myself to work harder to learn the best ways to be more structured and organized. I would also recommend that I should learn the best tips and tricks to learn how to study the right way. I would push to learn to apply for scholarships and grants. I would teach myself how to balance my time more effectivly and I would tell myself what are the best places to use for study and what are the worst. I would show myself how to manage my time and get the most use out of it. I would also give the best advice anyone could ever give. Do not let anything distract you from your goal in life and do not let anyone tell you what you can and can not do. These are the best words and actions I can use to make the transition from an homeschooled High School student to a brand new college student. Also make sure you get a lot of rest and relaxation included into your busy lifestyle. Do not over work yourself. That concludes my advice and tasitional efforts to make life easyier to handle.

Be ready for CHANGE. It is not high school anymore; mom and dad aren't there looking over your shoulder every day. You need to take charge of your own succes in college or you will not do well. Be prepared for class. Pay attention and ask questions. Meet the professor and talk to him/her. They want to get to know you and they want you to succeed. If you have the right attitude, have a real interest in the class and work hard you will get good grades. And the professors will notice, which will lead to more opportuniities when you become an upper classman. Many colleges can provide you with an excellent education. The most importan factor is you. You will get out of it what you put into it. Socially, it is important to understand that you will not know everybody anymore like high school was. You need to work at building new friendships. Don't be shy and don't be quiet. If nobody is willing to start the conversation then friendships don't begin. Join clubs or intramural sports or anything that interests you. Get out of your room and get involved!