The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

In spite of the many extra-curricular activities sponsored by my univeristy, there seems to be a barrier surrounding certain organizations that prevent many talented and interested students from obtaining membership. For example, the SGA is reserved for the majority of Caucasian male and female students in fraternities and sororities which control decision making bodies and influence faculty and administration. In addition the SGA also contols Homecoming Queen elections and SGA elections which are never representative of the campus as a whole. Many students feel that their voice is never heard and tend to not cast ballots at elections.

The University of Alabama's campus so large that I have classes a whole mile apart from each other, and I often need to travel that distance in under 10 minutes. Public transportation is neither timely nor reliable, and, if you live on campus, driving is nearly impossible. Parking is limited to the area around your residence hall. My residence hall is a mile away from where the majority of my classes are, the music building. Parking outside of your appointed zone results in hefty fines. The current system is extremely inconvenient, and getting around campus can be a nightmare!

I often find myself over stretched, not because of my work load, but because there are so many opportunities. All of those opportunites leave me wanting to explore. So, the most frustrating thing for me is time management. One might be in a study group when you here that your favorite author is speaking in the library in ten minutes, while at the same time a great band could be playing on the quad. Despite the frustration, having all of those choices has taught me to manage my time, which is an important skill to have for life.

What frustrates me is the huge amount of focus on only "practical" fields like business, law, and medicine have all the nice buildings inside and all the lastest technology and featues while the art program and buildings are left up to the people in it. I wish they would put as much merit into their art program as they do the others because the students and the faculty are really good and really innovative, we just do not have all the resources and attention we need. I wish we could be more modernized and involved with the campus.

Being able to get involved in some student organizations can be frustrating at times if you are not in a Greek fraternity or sorority. Some organizations are heavily populated with members of the Greek system, making it very discouraging for those who are not associated with the Greek system. Many times people can apply for these organizations, but it appears that they are not qualified enough as their Greek counterparts. While they may not be as qualified, it does not help encourage lots of student involvement.

The only frustrating thing about the University of Alabama is actually found in other Universities as well. Although Alabama offers limitless opportunities, most of them are quite expensive. The high cost of classes, study abroad programs, and club dues is a difficult obstacle to defeat. Our campus is beautiful, our professors are wonderful and genuine, and the education we earn is incalculable. Unfortunately the stresses of money can sometimes overwhelm those things.

I LOVE my school. But I can't afford it. I'm an out of state student. Tuition seems to be rising each year, and when I do the math, the government gives me a little more every year; however, I still end up paying $12,000 a year out of pocket. I want to be a pediatric nurse when I grow up, and that dream seems to be slowly fading due to my poor financial situation. I LOVE THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA. I HATE MONEY :)

The most frustrating thing about attending the University of Alabama is that most people will assume you are either a partier or a jock. The school is notorious for being a "fun school with a great football team"; it doesn't receive enough credit for the wonderful academics offered. The stigma is one that has to be worked past and falsified unlike most schools where schools don't have to contend with it at all.

My school cares more about the money it makes off the students than the students themselves. They take as much money from the students as possible. The reason you are able to accept them taking all of your money is because the atmosphere is great down here but the students are the ones who make the atmosphere.

The most frustrating thing about the school is the strong point for the school also. Even though I am just a new freshman, the school's campus is ridiculously huge! There are still more building being added on to the school as we speak right now. With that said, it can be a win-lose situation for new students.