The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

That time management is the most important thing you have to make yourself be good at. There are a lot of smart people that go to college and never graduate. You have to make yourself do things that you do not want to do like go to class when your're tired, study when you're friends are out having fun, and make sure you have time to complete your work. College prepares you for real life, which means being responsibe for all your actions. Most importantly, find something you like to do and be the best at it.

I feel like I was well prepared when I started this year here at the University of Alabama. I feel at home and truly love the campus and environment that UA supplies. I recommend that before you arrive at UA to try and meet with faculty or staff to discuss the steps needed to take to obtain scholarships and start your acceptance process to UA. I wish I had of checked up on my scholarship application that I sent in online because it got lost and I am having to wait to apply for scholarships next year.

The University of Alabama is a very large school. One of the main words of advice I would give to prospective students, is to get to know the school grounds very well. Move in a couple days before classes begin and take a walk around the school campus with a list of your class rooms. The best way to not get lost and to really know what Alabama looks like is to take time to get to know it. It is a beautiful campus and the more you know about it, the more you will grow to love and it!

There is a very large and strong greek system here. However, there is some controversy involving a "secret" greek society that basically almost every elected student member in a prominent position at the university is a member of. Greeks have control of the politics and are very united unlike the independents. The only problem is that the greeks in power are the all white fraternities and sororities with very conservative beliefs.

I wish I had known how beneficial taking AP courses would be. I also wish I would have learned better study skills. My first semester would have been significantly easier if I had known the importance of doing all homework assignments and how attending class is a necessity. One thing that I really wish I had known is that it is not necessary to purchase books for every class.

I had a certain image and idea of what I thought the people and activities would be like when I got to Tuscaloosa based off of how life is in Birmingham, where my family is from. I wish I had known a little bit more of the southern culture and life because it is so different from where I grew up. This is not a bad thing, it actually has given me a new and opening experience.

I wish I had known how many people there were here. It hasn't been a huge problem so far, but I think that once I get a car around here it'll be a hassle to drive around campus. Also, football season is so much more than you could ever imagine. The atmosphere is crazy, if I had known that before I came here it would've made my decision to pick Alabama that much easier.

It is difficult to transition from the life you know at home to the one at the University of Alabama. I wish I had known that it takes awhile to finally find your own niche here, but when you do you are more comfortable. Don't expect to be comfortable during your first semester, even if you have a very outgoing personality.

I wish I knew how "greek" it was. I don't necessarily believe you have to be in a sorority or fraternity to make friends, but it makes finding friends a lot easier. Many students believe they're the "in crowd" because they are in the sorority or fraternity; making events very "clique" like, which I hate.

When I arrived I expected school spirit with it being the home of the, Crimson Tide. However, upon my arrival school spirit was so great that it surpassed anything I could have ever possibly imagined. Another thing I wish I had known was the true cost of attending school. What a wake-up call.