The University of Montana-Western Top Questions

Kaelyn

I would tell myself to go ahead and apply for BYU. I would not let family members or others sway my decision or go to a "normal" college for a "normal" college experience, because I am not enjoying the so-called normal college experience. It would be much easier going to a school where I know someone, to have support, especially since I struggle so much with leaving my family.

"Danielle, I know you are a high school senior and the LAST thing you want to do right now is apply for scholarships, but believe me, it is important! Do it now. This is the time where the most scholarship opportunites are available, you will never have an opportunity like this again. Trying to qualify for scholarships while you are in college or trying to get back into college are way, way tougher then they are right now. You worked so hard to build community service hours, keep a high GPA, be involved in your school, don't let that all go to waste! Apply for scholarships to lessen your debt load, because believe me, student loans are expensive. That little thing called interest? Yeah, it's really important, and expensive. You might think that student loans are an easy way out, but in the long run you end up paying way more for school then you needed to in the first place. Take advantage of the wonderful scholarship opportunites that are out there right now! You won't regret it, I promise."

alysea

If I could go back to High School I would tell my self to stay focused and fill out more scholarships as a senior. Also I play basketball for Western and I wished I would have worked on my game a lot more, so I could be a lot more confident in the sport I am playing. Staying organized would be another thing I wish I was able to do. Staying organized is a big thing in college, because there is a way to procrastinate and then fall behind. College proffesors really dont care if you show up to class, but being responisble and organized is the right thing to do in order to maintain a high GPA.

Chantel

I would tell myself to go to college before you have kids and choose a differnet school

Sierra

I would tell myself to run far away from college and to start living in the real world. I believe I needed time to figure out what I wanted to do before I wasted $12,000 of my own hard-earned money on a year of college that I didn't want at the time. I would say not to conform to the ideals of my parents or society. I would tell myself to go out and get "kicked in the face a few times". Experience life, visit other countries, meet people, make mistakes, find yourself! And never apologize for living. But I would also tell my younger self, that when I got sick of jobs I had no passion for, when my creativity slowly died and showed no sign of resurfacing, and when I couldn't stand another moment of monotony, perhaps that would be the time to return to school. And I am so glad I did just that. Entering college now, I find that I have a willingness to learn as never before, years of unbridled character built in the time I was not in school, and a whole different perspective on the educated experience.

I was a very confused young lady when I graduated from high school. I lacked confidence and didn't think that I would ever go to college. My parents strongly encouraged me to go to college and reluctantly I went. It was the best decision I have ever made. Not only did I earn my Bachelors in Elementary Education with a minor in Special Education, but I gained confidence in myself and my abilities. I have earned my Masters in Education and am currently working on my Doctorate in Administration. I teach Special Education and I love my job and my students. My education has blessed me with a job I love, my husband and daughter, and life long friends. I am thankful everyday for the education I have and eager for the education that is to come.

Bristii

College has been a life changing experience in both good and bad. I have learned that life isn't easy or always fun but it's sure worth the ride. Expecially the first time you pull off that 4.0, or ace that really hard class, and definatly the first time they hand you your diploma or certificate. That feeling is incredible, and it makes all the time you felt down and homesick worth it. I wouldn't change going for anything, it has given me the credentials and experience to go on and follow my dreams.

I wouldn't of had so much "Senoritis" if i knew what i knew now. College life is freeing and it great to know that someones not constantly on your shoulder telling you what you have to do, but the consequences for bad choice are still there. The difference that you have no one to rely on but yourself. You may have to choice to put the people in your life that wil help you make the positive decisions, because in college it's nobodies job to care if you make it thru or not.

Carissa

I honestly didn't have a huge problem adjusting to college life. Probably the toughest part was the first week or so when I didn't know anyone because I went to a school so far away from home. I would tell myself to be prepared for that part, and just to know that it gets a lot better. Try a little harder to speak up and talk to new people, but don't worry about it, because you have plenty of new friends soon enough.

Dear (high school senior) Sarah, I know right now you think that choosing the right college is the biggest decision you?ll ever make, but it?s not. Life is full of decisions and this is simply one along the way. Don?t stress too much and don?t over think everything, because when the right college comes into view you?ll just know! Now, when it?s time to leave home you'll probably have feelings of axiety but that's to be expected. Afterall, you are leaving the place where you grew-up' where your whole life is and where you feel most comfortable. You are also beginning a new chapter in life, which can be very exciting. Once on campus, you may feel like the ?awkward new kid,? but remember, so does everyone else. All the freshmen are going through exactly the same feelings as you. So, don?t be afraid to ask questions and meet new people. The first few weeks or so will seem difficult to be away from home, but stay strong and you?ll begin to settle in and feel comfortable in your new second home. Sincerely, (college freshman) Sarah

michelle

Dont waste your time, dont worry about the small stuff and the most important thing is to do things for yourself. In high school you may not know it but your used to things getting done for you, and a big news flash is that when it comes to getting your life together, YOU have to do it. The sooner is not always better take your time to grow up and find out who you are and what you really want to be in life. Always remember this time is for learning and growing. The most important thing i could tell my self, even though i would not understand, would be to not get caught up in all the drama and the boys. Focusing on your self is the only way your going to get the things done that you really want, and all the other BS you will go through will just cloud your view of what that truely is. Making moving up in your life and going to college impossible.However, you will soon learn that when the boy friends and the girly drama are gone its still up to you to make all your dreams happen.

Susanne

I would tell myself to not be afraid of anything. The reason I choose the University of Montana-Western is because of their block system, my offer to play college volleyball, and because it is my home. I was born and raised here in Dillon and I choose to stay here to go to college and play volleyball. I would tell myself to never hold back, and to do whatever it is that I wanted to do no matter what anyone else has to say about it. If I could go back, I would make the same decision. I have enjoyed my time here at Western and I am glad that I stayed home, close to my family and friends. I wasn't ready to go out into the world two years ago, but I can't wait for two more when I get to try something new. Now I am ready to get out and see the world and I am planning on going to graduate school somewhere completely different. I want to get out and experience something new. I don't regret the past, I am living in the present and looking forward to the future.

Find a college that will tailor to your needs and apply early. To make the most of the experience you should look into clubs and do the orientation activites. I found that if I have someone to talk to and hang out with, I do my homework with more gusto and I have study partners.

When you make the choice, check how active your major of choice is in that college. Also check teacher to student ratio. To make the most of the experience, join clubs that interest you and get active in campus activities.

In order to find the right college; the student needs to have an idea of what type of career they would like, knowing whether they will thrive in a large university or a smaller one, be determined to complete every project and class no matter how hard it is. Be involved in everything on campus by joining clubs or doing sports. Try everything once and have fun while doing and do not be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone.

Chloe

I would say parents advise your child but do not make the decision for them. This is a big step in someones life. To the future students, its ok to weigh all your options. This is a huge decision for you. Don't be afraid to follow your dreams. Every goal you set, every choice you make, and every person you meet, has an impact on your life. You hold your future in your hands.

Patricia

Know what the child intends to major in. If this is unknown, make sure that the student goes somewhere that has a wide variety of programs offered. Also make sure the school has very friendly professors and staff. This will allow the student to make a connection with them. This connection helps when coming to a decision about what to do with their future. If the student already knows what major they would like, choose a school with a very competitive program. This competition will make the student adjust to it and better prepare them for the real world after college. The college is important but the town and surroundings are also important. The student needs to have access to the activities they enjoy to balance the course work. Also, if the family is religious, make sure that the church available is one agreeable with the religious views. Services can vary between churches and may not always agree with the family traditions. The town also needs to help the student feel safe. Many towns are willing to reach out to the school to welcome the college students and help them feel accepted in the area.

Really look at the area around a school. And go to class!!! It's the easiest thing to do especially if you don't like to study on your own, like me.

Lyndsee

I would suggest that a student goes to whatever college they desire for their first year because this will open their eyes and make it easier for them to decide where they want to go to school and what they want to go to school for. I would also advise that students try their best and put forth their best efforts to acheiving the grades they are capable of and stay focused. There are alot of things off campus that can be distracting so stay focused.

Go with your instincts. You are going to be there for four years, make sure that is somewhere you can be yourself. Don't forget to have a little fun along the way! Classes can be stressful, so you need to find a balance! Finally, ENJOY it while it lasts! :)

Decide what job field you want to be in, research the top 5 schools in that discipline then look at the job placement percentages; then look at the available social clubs and activities you would be interested in and also talk to some of the professors on campus to find out their teaching philosopy. I think that is the best way to find a school you would most like to attend. As for making the most of your college experience.... study hard during the week then relax and socialize on the weekends. That way you are still putting your best into the classwork, but also enjoying fun with your friends and relaxing during the weekend. I have found this is the only way to have your cake and eat it to!