The University of Montana Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Montana

Colby

Because Montanans are white, tall, skinny and dress alike in dark colors, they don't realize they are conservative, intolerant and uncommunicative. An us vs them' mentality exists. 'Them = Californians, blacks, Native Americans, Hispanics, Chinese, Japanese, African, Iranian, Southeast Asian, etc.' The unvarying response of most students and town residents is deafening indifference and aversion of gaze. If you walk like a griz, talk like a griz, and quack like a griz, you're okay especially if you are a blond, athletic girl. A common refrain by students and Missoulans from all socioeconomic levels is, " I wish Missoula hadn't changed. It's those Californians and foreign exchange students." No mingling exists here. No talking. It's not a friendly place. The peculiar administrative staff are impersonal and use any inane reason to chastise you, eg, 'You used the wrong number and I don't check that (voice mail box.)' The Registrar will quickly send you to the business office who will send you to the financial aid office who will then send you back to the Registrar. A graduate assistant yells several times at the best student in the class without provocation. Montana is for Montanans and they highly resent anyone who comes in and buys their land. Hostility comes in waves at Murdoch's or Costco from the ranchers and rural folk from outlying areas. The university president is a professionally trained killer with little academic experience. The Griz football coach who ran the permissive football team that assaulted girls was rehired from Nevada. A ROTC mentality is too much of a presence in the rather deserted campus where the student enrollment has declined 40% in the past 7 years. The school board and executive hierarchy still does not understand why people do not want to attend school here. The big splashy Native American Indian Center has only a few teachers. Native students come and go. Native Americans are despised, "Why do they act so angry like they have chips on their shoulders?" No self respecting white girl would be caught out in the open talking to a non-white.

Leah

The University of Montana has the potential to be a fantastic school. It's in an amazing place for outdoor rec, the campus is beautiful, the professors truly care about their work, everyone here is so friendly, there is living and breathing school spirit, and it's walking distance from downtown. The only thing missing is academics, and its not really the school's fault. Budget cuts, as well as declining enrollment, have slashed multiple programs with more cuts to come, which is disheartening, to say the least. However, if you major in wildlife biology, journalism, forestry, or another popular major, you will receive a world-class education in an amazing place.

Adele

The University of Montana is a great place for people to go out and be adventurous in the outdoors. It also has activities that allow students to find groups that they normally would not think of. Also the campus if close to stores and other places of food, so you can walk almost anywhere. The recreational facilities are really nice and fairly clean.

I think they value money so much that it's deterring students from attending. They recently raised tuition, added more fees, and upped prices of everything. It's so hard to pay for, and there's so much political activity on campus that it's distracting from my education.

Susannah

Montana is a beautiful state to live in, but the college is lacking certain things. Their anthropology program is very good, the other extra classes are not very good and are often over looked. overall the school is okay, but there are definitely improvements that could be made

The University offers a wide range of academic majors and opportunities. Missoula is a good area for finding community service or internships, it you're in the sciences, and has a great range of activities for people of any interest or age. Choosing to go to UM has changed my life!

Katherine

I love this school. It is very welcoming. The environment encourages growth academically and individually. There is something for everyone here. I am currently living in the dorms, and the on-campus housing is very clean. The students and faculty are both outgoing, and it is overall a very active and positive environment.

Marin

Good school, but the school lacks leadership and the students suffer. Programs are cut on a regular basis and the provost office does little to recruit new students. There are limited resources for the students to receive help. The university also takes too much interest in the football team and plenty of other departments suffer because of it.

Sydney

It's a really great school! The campus is the prettiest out of all the ones I visited. The professors are very personable and have regular office hours, which is convenient. There are always parties on the weekends, but the campus is still pretty safe. I really like it so far!

Mackenzie

The University of Montana is a great school for students in the liberal arts fields. Campus can be slightly scary at night and I would suggest walking in groups at night or not at all. Missoula is such a fun town with a great food scene, especially downtown. There is always something going on in Missoula, so you won't ever get bored.

Jordan

You must be ready for a slow-paced lifestyle here. There is a great shop-local scene with dining and arts, and a lot of opportunities to explore the magic that is Montana. But, if you're not from around here, things can get quite boring. There are some new, more expensive apartments being built here. I think Missoula is gaining popularity from the celebrity, and sub-sequentially, a wealthier population. The University has very little cultural diversity presence and the higher-ups do very little to improve that. They also just did a huge budget cut and layoff of some of the best faculty this school has seen. That concerns me as a prospective grad student here. Not a lot of money is put into the existing buildings. The campus is quite small and easy to get around, which makes the residency halls centrally located. The food is actually quite good, and the vegan selection is expanding. The Farm to College program is great. There is plenty of fun to be had on the river here in the summer, and there are tons of lakes in driving distance. The area is full of quirky little festivals and celebrations. Although this is a more liberal city, there are definitely still a lot of stereotypical Montana conservatives. A lot of very valuable and excellent professors choose to teach here. There is just something about Montana that pulls people. There is also a lot of good-ole'-boy politics going on here. There are a lot of unique learning and studying opportunities here at UM.

Suzie

UM is a fantastic institution. It has it's issues, including financial aide, but the academic environment and the eclectic people make the Campus one of my favorite places.

Kate

The University of Montana captured the best years of my life. Transitioning from a town of 400 to "city life"was nearly traumatizing, but the warm, welcoming nature of the school quickly made all fear dissipate. Every night was characterized by impromptu sports competitions, snowball fights, midnight hikes up the on-campus mountain, musical jam sessions, nail painting contests, study sessions, games, dance practices, or volunteer opportunities. On-campus food was incredible, and the family dynamic our dorm created led to friend groups of ten or more trekking to the dining hall for every meal. The University of Montana promotes culture, is environmentally friendly, employs phenomenal educators, and attracts premier events. I would recommend the school with no hesitation; my worst memory of my collegiate education will always be having to leave it.

Lily

I love the University of Montana! There is a lot of friendly people and great classes. There is also a lot of helpful resources for anything you would need help with. Like any college, there is dangers, however, I think the University is relatively safer than most people think.

Rory

The University of Montana is an absolutely wonderful school! There is always something for everyone of all interests and backgrounds. The football and basketball games are the absolute best. No matter what the event may be, we are always ready to show our Griz pride. Also, all of the professors, advisors, and ambassadors are the best in the state. They are willing to go that extra mile to ensure each and every student is successful in school, and also in the future. I am proud to be a Griz, and I know the University will take me far in life.

Corinne

I love UM! I feel so at home here after moving across the country for college. Missoula is such a fun city to live in and this is a great place to go to college if you are an outdoorsy person. Faculty is always within reach if you email them and the school has fantastic resources to take advantage of!

Cassidy

I feel like I have entered a college that is right for me. With my major being in creative writing, there is a large importance with my education, especially because of our growing creative writing/ English program. Students here are highly passionate about what they believe in and each program produces successful graduates, ranging from J.K. Simmons and Jeannette Rankin, to Richard Hugo.

alexis

They are trying very hard to become a good school again after the rape scandal that happened a few years ago. They added more to the campus and have a great arts program, I just wished that football wasn't as important as it is because glorifying a sport never ends well.

I may be partially biased, as Montana has been a huge part of my life. But the campus is lovely and full of people just alike. I can tell the education I'm receiving is stable and worthy of my time. Food on and near campus is pretty amazing: there are lots of options and the quality is spectacular. It's purely a good time even with the level of academics.

Brookyn

I generally enjoy The University of Montana. Everyone is extremely caring and tries their best for you to succeed. Anywhere you go for help, there will always be an answer. Even if the person you asked does not have the answer, usually they can point you in the right direction.

Allyson

I love the University of Montana. There are faults and some negatives about it but I love the city and the campus is beautiful. The students are always very friendly and the class sizes are great. The theatre program is great and I am learning so much. Overall: 9/10. I love it here and I plan tp graduate from here.

Andrew

Its a good school the staff and professors are easy going and the "food zoo" has high quality meals. Living on campus is the down side of this university, it seems like administrators don't account for the overflow of students, so being cramped into a room with multiple students is common for awhile.

Emmalee

I love the University of Montana. My parents and one of my uncles went there. While they were there, they all loved it and thought it was a great environment to be in. It is a liberal school, but a majority of the time that has no effect on anything. The U is positioned in a prime location; You are never from town, water, mountains or prairies. There are many activities and everyone loves to get involved when our Grizzlies go out on the field.

Morrigan

If you have extenuating circumstances like I did, please do not hesitate to talk to someone in Curry, TRIO, or SARC. These organizations on campus are here to help students not slip into the cracks, and it is to help those students, like me, that did slip through the cracks. I did months of research before I left Ireland, and I know that this is the best "last" place to study ecological sciences HANDS-ON.

This school has had it's ups and its downs, I grew up near this college town so it will always be close to my heart. In grade school I would go to their lady Griz basketball games, shiver out in their football games, explore their campus, participate in their community events as well as buy and wear their merchandise. At heart I am a die hard Griz fan, however no one can ignore that in the recent years since I have been attending our campus is slowly dying. The students are leaving to join our rival school Montana State because they have better academic opportunity. Our college is bankrupt professors are leaving and tuition is creeping up. There is a lot to love about the people and location of this University, but I rated my University a three star school.

Mikayla

I love the location of The University of Montana, the views and directly off campus you can hike the M and see the whole valley. There are a ton of activities and groups you can go into. The school is very on top of trying to get everyone involved and having a lot of options for the varied school body. I love that this is a community and that the people and professors on campus are very friendly and willing to help. Overall my experience on this campus is amazing and I recommend coming here!

Marissa

The University of Montana is a very special place. Running across this scholarship is a strange coincidence as very recently some friends and I were rating our school ourselves. With a beautiful landscape, UM is a refuge for those who cherish nature. The people who come to this institution are incredible and undoubtedly the most special part of attending UM. When faced with a decision of whether to stay or transfer universities, the community of UM and Missoula were the main factor leading to my staying. Our town is humble, wholesome, artistic and unique. Missoulians and students at UM care more about being present in our incredible world here than we do most other things. When even a crack of sunlight breaks through an overcast sky, half the student body convenes on our central Oval for games, casual conversation and studying. UM students are very special people, and Missoulians are even better. I am very happy here in Missoula and am forever changed by this university and its students.

Amber

As a student here I love it, everyone wants to see you go places and will help you get there. Plus it's Montana aka beautiful and snow! Also there is a ton of things you can do on campus, you can rent snowboards or a raft to go down the river. Don't know how to do any of that they will teach you. The U of M is my home and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Maia

I take some hard classes like calculus and chemistry and I appreciate that there are so many resources where I can go to get help if i need it. There are a lot of interesting classes offered here but this year there were some programs that were cut or shrunk, including the program that brought me here in the first place. I decided to come here because they offered a minor in Arabic studies, I found out that this is the last year that third year Arabic language instruction will be taught; this is only one example of the programs getting cut.

Thomas

Nice school, beautiful campus. Snow covered mountains as a backdrop in the winter. There is plenty to do outside of school, especially if you enjoy being outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, hunting, amazing fishing, kayaking, and mountain biking to name a few. Missoula itself has plenty to offer as well, from music venues to art galleries, great restaurants, and shopping areas.

Lewis

Frankly, I'm a "nerd." I'm working on a double major in mathematics and physics, so I'm not taking advantage of all of the opportunities afforded at UM. My head is in the books and computer. I know they have a lot of sports and I think the team is "Griz" or something. The internet in my dorm is very good.

The University of Montana provided an experience far away from home, the exact experience I had been looking to have. The University is a wonderful place to meet new people, and enjoy the great outdoors. The culture of Montana can weigh on people from time to time as the main hobbies include drinking, college football, and shoveling yourself out of a snowstorm. As fun as the first two things might sound it gets to be incredibly redundant, and the seemingly constant challenges that the athletic teams faced with sexual assault accusations a couple years back makes me hesitant to share that I am an alumni. However, the professors and my classmates are all incredible people, I have no regrets about the program I graduated from or the friends I made while making my way through the program. The University of Montana provided some of the most memorable and influential experiences of my life, and I wouldn't give that back for any reason whatsoever.

Alessandra

The Music Department at The University of Montana is incredible. After looking at a few other schools in larger cities, I never dreamed that this gem of a program would exist in Missoula. The professors are always available and are supportive of the students. They show their deep passion and knowledge for their craft not only in classes, but at any given time as their doors are always open to welcome students' questions, concerns, and general conversation about music and this beautiful art. There are ensembles for majors and non-majors alike-students from any department are encouraged to participate and create music. It is truly unique!

Sydney

The University of Montana is not only a beautiful campus but an enriching academic experience. There's always something fun to do and places to get together with classmates, whether it be for play or work. The professors at UM are top-notch researchers in their fields of study; they're not just amazing intellectuals, but incredible people who have a genuine care for their students. They are prepared to work longer hours to ensure your success, meet with you after hours to discuss phenomenons, or to make sure you're following your passions. At UM, you are welcomed by a community readily available to make sure your passions become reality. Despite the pre-college jitters, the university makes you feel comfortable and right at home. At UM not only offers an amazing source of knowledge from dedicated professors, but encourages their students to get outside, do some hands-on research, or explore newfound opportunities so that they can better themselves. From study-abroad trips to working at the Flathead Lake Bio Station, or even staring in your own art show, UM has it all. I personally came from outside of Montana, but I soon discovered a large community ready to make my personal and academic goals come to fruition. I was surrounded by encouraging professors, understanding advisors, and ambitious classmates, who pushed me to be the best version of myself. In summation, The University of Montana celebrates the diverse individual living inside everyone and understands that not all education is that same, but that education needs to be tailored to the student. If you are looking for a university that is prepared to help you succeed and take on any challenge, then The University of Montana is for you.

It is an amazing campus and environment. This is a superior school which requires rigorous academics, but also provides many recreational opportunities, both in terms of inside as well as the great outdoors! Football season is key and presents a great tie for everyone to meet and also to source future employment as many alums return for games.

Mira

UM is a great campus, with awesome students, excellent faculty, and a beautiful location. The students I have encountered are hardworking, dedicated, and great people. There are plenty of good options on campus for a variety of activities, from food to recreation.

Kelsi

The University of Montana provides a very decent education. The university is currently struggling financially which has placed a strain on many departments and led to many changes but they are actively trying to turn things around and continue to place the focus on providing a quality education.

matthew

It is an awesome school to be a part of with very friendly students. I have Visited a lot of campuses and the University of Montana has by far the most beautiful campus. Located in the best city in Montana! There are endless outdoor activities you can get involved in. The best part about Missoula and the University of Montana are the people who live here. 99% of the people are very friendly and would bend over backwards to help another person.

I absolutely love The University of Montana. Starting my college career, I came here knowing no one and I was very nervous to start out here but it turned out to be the best choice of my life. Although there are some issues (what school doesn't) it does not take away from my experience here at the U. The one main issue I have been having is the tuition increase which is really tough financially because this is somewhere I would never want to leave because I am unable to afford it here. The other issue I have is being in Greek life, it seems as though the university is trying to rid of the greek system which really is unfortunate because it has built so many friendships and life long memories. I think this school is great for many reasons. One, it is in one of the most amazing cities I have been to. Missoula is a great college tow and is always presenting students with fun activities around the city. Being in a college town means game days are absolutely crazy with the whole town there. Everybody is always looking forward to griz football. This school also has amazing new facilities which make doing things around campus easier. Another wonderful thing about the U is the advisers. I have always had bad luck with advisers but once I came here, I found people who actually care about my future and want to help me reach my goals no matter what it takes. Overall I love the U and have never questioned my choice on picking The University of Montana.

Cassidy

UM is a wonderful university for anybody interested in research. The professors are very interactive and easy to talk to as well as knowledgeable about their subject. Generally, the classes are small with only a few larger classes that are general education classes. Like any college class, hard work is necessary but professors will reward the hard work as they see if. There are almost always people on the oval hanging out when there isnt snow on the ground.

James

My overall opinion of the University of Montana is relatively high. The campus is beautiful and there is always plenty to do. It's located very close to downtown and there is always something going on downtown. It's located right next to a river so you can float, fish, or just hang out. The food is quality and cooked by moderately high rated chefs.

Nicholas

The University of Montana is a great school with great professors and great opportunities. The campus life is amazing, and it's easy to make friends. Class size is small and it's easy to get a hold of professors. Everyone on campus is there to help you.

I believe there is an important community at UM. People are getting involved and trying out new things. There is always something on campus to be doing whether it is going to game or going to a movie night at one of the residence halls. These events allows students to connect with each other. As the President says, "If you want to go fast go alone but if you want to go far go together." As a student I have used this saying more than once to try to find student group that have the same goals as me.

Brittini

The University of Montana is a beautiful campus filled with open minded people, lots to do, and dedicated professors. The class options are good and there is always beneficial resources provided to help your learning. It is overall a great place to further my education!

Hope

From a visitors point of view I think the University of Montana is an accepting university. Everyone I met and saw on campus was very kind and self-inviting. I took a tour of the campus and there was no trouble finding a tour guide. They provided water and food before we got started and answered any questions I had. They showed us everything they had available on the campus. There are residence halls for just women, just men, and both men and women. You can take a survey that fits you in with a roommate that likes the same things as you to get your best match. You can also request your friend to be in your room if they request you back. If you have any problems with your rooms there is an advisor in every residence hall to help you out if you have any questions. There are also so many clubs and sororities the students can be a part of, especially Greek clubs. I have heard that the professors are always available and will help you with any questions in class. The sports culture is very enthusiastic. Everyone is involved and the students get a discount off ticket prices to attend the games. The campus food is very nutritious and the cooks and advisors make sure you get the food you need. There is about eight or more coffee shops around the campus so you have one around every corner. The university wants to ensure that you have a place to study but also a place to eat and buy some Griz gear. So they made the University Center. It’s public to everyone and you would not want to miss out. I personally think that the University of Montana is a great university to go to. There is a 100% acceptance rate and the in-state tuition is one of the lowest out of a variety of universities. I would recommend this university to everybody that is looking for an accepting community, enthusiastic sports community, and someone who wants to go to an affording university.

Laci

I haven't been to University of Montana. But I got accepted into the college and I plan on attending this fall. But from what I have heard about the school It was a well and good/social school. I am very excited to see and attend the school.

Brian

As a new non-traditional student, my current experience has been minimal but very positive. The director of the program that I applied for returned my email inquiry the same day and we scheduled a face to face meeting within the week. He was very helpful in getting me started on the application and registration process and was even willing to share his own personal experiences he had with the college and work he had done throughout the years. I have lived in Missoula since 1990 and am looking forward to attending classes starting this summer!

Aubree

Great school, great opportunities! Professors and staff care about students, classes are engaging, and students are friendly and supportive of one another. Campus is beautiful and Missoula in itself is a great place. It's really a great university, and I'm glad I chose to pursue my higher education here.

Melodee

I enjoy attending The University of Montana. The new president of the university is making some amazing new changes that the UM has needed for many years. Seth Bodner is changing the reputation that the UM has and hopefully more people will want to come here and enjoy all the possibilities that Montana can offer them!

Allison

With the research I have done and the visit that I plan to attend soon I believe it is a great school. Being an out of state student comfort is my number one priority and with the dorms, housing options, food, and hospitality I have seen this school is perfect for me!