The University of Tampa

« See more reviews of The University of Tampa

I currently attend UMASS Lowell. I do not have much to complain about my school: the classes are fantastic, the professors are excited to teach, and my classmates have a lot of enthusiasm. However, my school doesn't have much to do around campus because it is primarily a commuter school. This school has all the potential in the world, but the lack of activities creates a cold atmosphere that drives students off campus. If UMASS Lowell made legitimate activites that were widely available, they would find that the student body would have even more school spirt.

I can walk from one side of campus to the other in five minutes; the worst thing about The University of Tampa is its size. When you go to college you want the college experience and because UT is so small, sometimes it feels like I am missing out. But though it being so small can be a bad thing, it’s also great because of the intimate class sizes. Because of these classroom sizes, I have gained stronger connections with my classmates, as well as professors, making a comfortable learning environment. This has resulted in a better education.

There is a very shallow atmosphere at my school. It kind of reminds me of high school, with the obvious cliques, and so much racial segregation. I also feel that the professors don't genuinely care about the success of the students. I'm unlike the majority of the student body because I'm African-American, low-income, and married with two children. Many times when I tried to explain a dilemma I may have been having to a professor, they encouraged me to simply drop their course rather than offer any type of advice on catching up.

I believe the worst thing about our school is there is a lot of peer pressure on you to go out and drink on the weekends. Since the school is in the city everyone wants to go to bars and clubs from tuesday -saturday and it is hard to stay focused on schoolwork. Also it is incredibly easy to get fake id?s, alcohol or anything else you want which leads many students down a wrong path; especially when they are new to the school. Because of the excesive partying many students GPA's suffer.

Although I love the overall experience as a student at the University of Tampa, I would consider the lack of available transportation the worst thing about this school. As a freshman from Ohio, I was not permitted to bring my car to Tampa with me and often find myself stranded on the campus with expensive taxi rides being my only option to leave. The lack of transportation also makes it impossible to have a part-time job, which makes the daily taxi rides even more of an impossibility.

The worst thing about my school is that it is considered a party school. Yes, there are a lot of people who drink here, but that is not the case with everyone. There are people who drink and party, and there are people who don't. People tend to focus on the party side of my school so much that they don't realize how good my school is. We have excellent professors, and our location in the heart of Tampa provides countless opportunities for jobs, internships, and community service.

The cost of the credits. They are high and it is understandable, but for someone like me, I cannot get PELL Grants or FINANCIAL AID because my parents earn a decent income. To me that does not always seem fair as we are an average middle class family and my older brother also goes to college so funds are tight. I understand I could have gone to a public university but this school provides everything I need for my education in a double major of biology and marine science.

The good thing about this question is that, for the University of Tampa, this one is really hard to find an answer for. If there is one thing that I could complain about for my school is the lack of on-campus jobs. There are a lot of job opportunities, but they are mainly for work-study qualified students. If you don't mind though, there are hundreds of part-time job opportunities in the city of Tampa that is literally steps outside of campus.

The thing that I consider the worst about my school is that its too small. The University of Tampa is a really small school, though its not always a bad thing, some times i just wish it was a bit bigger and think they should expand it more. I feel that the more they expand it, the more things that can be done in the sense of activities and bigger facilities like for example, a bigger gym to workout in.

The worst thing about the University of Tampa is the lack of school spirit. Since we do not have a football team, it is hard to get a large crowd to come out to support the sports teams. I feel that it would bring students closer together and improve our athletic program as a whole if there was more effort put into the sporting events in attempt to increase the crowd diversity at games.