The University of Tampa

« See more reviews of The University of Tampa

I wish I had known about the campus life a little more. The students don't seem to take college seriously and treat being there a lot like summer camp. That sort of attitude makes me less likely to enjoy being there and want to get involved with my classmates, for fear of their careless attitudes rubbing off negatively. I also wish I had known more about the freshman required classes that don't really help in any way. I want to try and remain as focused as possible on my future career, including my freshman year, not excluding it.

As a transfer student to University of Tampa, my experience has been a little different than incoming freshmen. My best advice would be to get involved in as many activities that interest you right away. This will be the best way to meet other students who are interested in the same things as you. Also, time management is the most difficult thing I have had to cope with. Figuring out how to complete assignments, have a social life, and participate in different things around campus can be overwhelming at times.

Before attending my University, I learned a little bit about what my school offered to undergraduates, specifically freshman, such as tutoring, activities, groups, etc. What I wish I had known a bit more about was where everything was located on campus. By now, I know where everything is located, but I do believe it might have been easier for me to get around campus if I had familiarized myself with maps of the campus or the buildings on campus beforehand.

Although, I am very happy and pleased to be a student at this school, I wish I would have known more information about the financial aid available to me. As a part time student when starting at this school, there was not much information given to me as far as financial aid. There was also not much help to receive because I was a part time student so if there was more knowledge prior to starting school, my financial situation would have been better.

I wish that I had known how much money I was going to spend. Since I am from a small town with the closest mall being over an hour away and no nightlife, I was not anticipating how often I would be going out with friends. If you are planning on joining a fraternity or sorority, those are also hundreds of dollar investments. I barely got by with the $600 I saved for my first semester, but now I know that next semester I need to save a lot more.

Before attending the University of Tampa I wish I knew about saltmoney.org. I wish I had known of all the scholarship opportunities that were available to me, because even though I work full time I will not be able to afford University of Tampa next year along with an apartment and car. I'm glad I found out about the website through campus though because I'm trying to do everything I can to stay on this campus, and keep my campus organization.

I found it hard to make the adjustment from the community college I attended to a private university. The workload was much heavier but I adjusted well and was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA dispite working, going to school full time, traveling two hours and day and raising a family as a single mom. I've learned more self control at the University of Tampa than I have at any other school I've attended.

I don't feel I would change anything I have experienced. I believe that everything that I have learned here and all the goals I have set may have not happened if I had been different. I would have still been a political science major most likely. Now I am a Psychology and Advertising double major and I am happy with it. I love my expirience at Tampa with the knowledge I had, or lacked, coming in.

I wish I had known how little the administrative offices care about the students, for example, financial aid, the registars office, academic advising and even the College of Arts and Letters. I wish I knew prior to coming here if I ever had a problem with anything I would be on my own to deal with it and not to count on getting help elsewhere.

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. If you see yourself wanting to be friends with someone, go for it. Just because this is a private school it doesn't mean you're the only one having to feel like you're less fortunate/richer than the other students who go here. They're also going through the same struggle as you.