The University of Tampa Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Tampa

Maya

It's a great university, great location and very picturesque. The classes are extremely challenging. There is a great variety of events going on all the time. I wish they had better housing policy for senior students, we are more or less on our own to find off campus housing, and I personally love being on campus all the time due the safety concerns as well as convenience factors. The food is also very good and healthy choices are ample. My favorite hangout is the Starbucks on campus.

Adam

I love The University of Tampa. It is the ideal size for me, and I am never bored here. Warm weather all the time, and a short car ride away from the beach. Academics are very important here and taken seriously, but there is always room for partying and having fun.

Nelson

I absolutely love it, it is in the heart of Tampa Bay. The professors are always there to help and are always readily available. The class sizes range anywhere from 15 - 50 which is great if you prefer having one-on-one time with professors. I recommend this school to anyone who prefers more interactions with their professors.

Spencer Johnson

The University of Tampa is my dream school and I would love to attend this school starting in the fall of 2016. But as the economy gets worse and the price of schooling rises it is harder to attend your dream school. UTampa is a very nice school and the students and staff are amazing!

Marjorie

Overall the school is really big and pretty, but there's not much to do that is close by. You have to constantly take an uber everyday to get necessities because there's no stores in downtown. The school is good academic wise, but the only bad thing is that the classes are really small, which means that they get filled up way to quick. Also, tuition keeps going up every year; it recently just went up 4,000 for the new school year to help provide money for the new nurses building they are constructing.

Allanie

Very nice

Kim

UT while known for it's exceptional business school and high price tag, is without a doubt a school for well-off families and those who are guaranteed a position in their Daddy's company after graduation. The new gym is nice, the class size is small which is ideal, the food is good but can get boring after a couple of weeks. The academics are highly acclaimed and the classes will challenge you, but be prepared to be in debt for the next 20+ years if your parents aren't wealthy. An active party scene (mainly for lower class-men and those who prey on the innocence of freshmen). Warning, VERY hot and humid during the beginning and end of the school year but very comfortable and pretty scenery for most of it. UT may have some of it's down sides but it is still a great school and there's plenty of opportunities for students who work for them.

Gianna

I really enjoyed my visit and soon plan to apply to continue my undergraduate degree as a college freshman. I know at a place like this school i can get a good education while feeling safe and secure. I plan to major in Advertising and Public relations - Creative Concentration. This is in the school of communications, which is well renowned. Love it in Tampa, with so many things to see and so many internship opportunities.

Sam

An amazing school with endless opportunities for people who are willing to take advantage of them. There is something for everyone at this university and they've done a fantastic job of making prospective students feel welcome. I am so excited to continue to study here at the University of Tampa

Talia

I love the campus view and setup. I also love the food and the fact that our classes aren't humongous. I don't like the fact that it is not that diverse in culture and would like that the quota for the amount of black student be raised. It is kind of overwhelming not to be surrounded by the people you have been around your whole life minimally. Other than that, things here are great.

Kimber

The administration and the University as a whole are very inflexible and do not respect your request.

Briana

The University of Tampa is a beautiful campus with about 8,000 students who attend each year. The University of Tampa is very diverse and has approximately about 1,400 international students from all 50 states and 140 countries. All together there are about 256 clubs, organizations and sports to choose from. Being that the school is very diverse, I love that each student has the opportunity to connect and meet many people from all over the world. UT is a medium sized private school that allows a 17:1 ratio of students to a classroom. I like the idea of smaller classes because it allows me to be one on one with my professors. The Campus offers many things to choose from and has lots of things to do, considering it is in downtown Tampa and not far from main sites and attractions. I love the fact that the school has many options in dining services, academic programs, and clubs, organization, sorority life, etc. UT is like my second home and because of the programs they offer that offer assigned mentors, my transition into college was better than I expected and there is always someone I could express any concerns or problems with.

Victoria

I really like the university! There are some great places to study or just spend down time. The campus is beautiful and the people are amazing! There are a lot of international students and people from the northeast of the US. The class sizes are small and allow you to feel more a part of the classroom and the discussion. Professors are almost always available and will work with you to ensure you understand the lectures. There is also a lot to do in your downtime around campus. We are right across the river from downtown so the weekends are never boring.

Katelyn

I love the University of Tampa and all the students here because everyone is so genuine and nice. I love my classes as well as professors because they actually care about how you're doing and the class sizes are not overwhelming at all. University of Tampa is an amazing university.

Nathan

When I first came to the UT, I had to start my life anew. I took every opportunity to get involved, and I'm so thankful I did. The people at school, whether student or faculty, try their best to see you succeed at the highest extent possible. The environment is fantastic, and I recommend it to everyone who is willing to make an impact on a smaller scale campus.

I never toured the campus before I got here and I wish I did! It's prettier and sounds better online.

I am a sophomore at The University majoring in marine science-biology. UT is a very involved and close community. The amount of faculty and students that care about the environment is amazing. The class sizes are relatively small and the professors are very helpful inside and outside of the classroom. The University of Tampa provides it's students with so many opportunities, from campus organization to study abroad programs. There are extracurricular activities for everyone, partaking in an organization and volunteering events is a great way to make friends. The students at UT are very dedicated and hardworking people. The campus feels very safe and is the most beautiful campus I have ever seen, with views of downtown Tampa. I moved from Ohio to Tampa, Florida for UT's marine science program, the education that UT gives is exemplary. The school provides everything, from a pool to alternative break opportunities. It's a growing campus that is always improving, they recently built a new fitness center and now are working on a new science building. The wifi can be weak from time to time, the pool closes early at 4:00pm, and there could be more student spirit at sporting events, but overall, The University of Tampa is a close and supportive community. The University of Tampa has built a strong community full of successful students.

Alexandria

I love this school! UT has so many great opportunities for students, alumni, and even faculty I don't know why anyone would not choose to go here for their secondary education. All of the programs are set to the highest levels of success to make sure the student is able to get the most out of their time here, while allowing them to progress on their own goals if they wish. The new gym facility boasts classes and equipment that is far profound to other school's recreation complexes. The professors answer emails as soon as they can and are always willing to help during their office hours. There's plenty of places to study and relax and everyone is always there to give a helping hand. From academics to cocurriculars, school spirit, and just healthy living, this school offers it all for a variety of students that come from all over the world. Being located in downtown Tampa places internships at easy grabs and activities for all to get involved in during downtime. UT is not only my dream school, but the right one for me to pursue and conquer my future endeavors.

Amber

The campus is composed of 8,000 people, but everyone is a familiar face. Through opportunities of involvement on campus and small class sizes, networking and building friendships is simple and less stressful. Human beings need support and motivation to achieve their goals. The University of Tampa has created an environment where students can succeed alongside the beautiful historic sights on campus.

Brianna

I am so happy with my decision to come to The University of Tampa. It was the best choice for me and is home to so many students.

Jordan

Beautiful

Christina

I loved my experience at The University of Tampa. Aside from the gorgeous setting, I felt very motivated by my professors, and think the course offering was diverse. Facilities were beautiful, in most cases brand new, and were well taken care of. Great to see so many recent graduates planning to return for their MBA - the Sykes Business School is top notch.

Alysha

The University of Tampa is not meant for students who are looking for a vacation away from home. The academics are rigorous and demanding and professors take note of when students are not in class. Class sizes make up for difficult courses and the friendships you can make are life-long. There are so many opportunities to join clubs, Greek life, or go out that there won't be a weekend where you are not involved.

Jaden

From my visit I am very excited to attend the University this fall. It had an overall feel of comfort and a serious academic focus. The housing looked comfortable and the cafeteria seemed to fit my needs for what I will enjoy eating. All of the people, including the adults and the students, were friendly and helpful during our tour. They were able to answer all of our questions and give us a good feel for how the campus really is.

Aspen

It's great! A truely amazing experience. Faculty are always setting aside time to talk to and get know their students. The Greek life has such a good influence on the students and our campus safety ensure that we never feel unsafe! There's always something happening on campus as well for students to go to and hang out with friends and/or family.

Melissa

I like UT, there are a few things that could be improved upon, like the environmentally friendly status. I enjoy the fact that the classes are small and the professors are accessible. In other larger schools, you may not get to see your professor at all due to long wait times but at UT the professors are all generally available and they all know your name.

Allison

I have so excited about going to the University of Tampa this fall.

I will be a December 2016 Graduate with a BFA in Musical Theatre. I have lived both on and off campus and have had a wonderful experience at UT. I've loved it so much, my little sister is going too!

Nicholas

I was very pleased with my visit to UT. The atmosphere was nice, it was small enough to walk from one side of campus to the other, it was right on the river with a great view of downtown. i enjoyed my time there. I live in the area so i would be able to drive to and from there and that is a plus.

Danielle

Absolutely love it. Everyone is so nice and it is a great environment to learn in. The class sizes are nice and small and the teachers are incredibly helpful and very accessible. It is a beautiful campus with great facilities. The food on campus isn't great but there are a ton of options in the city which is so close.

Julia

This is just my first week. During the summer walk through I was told dorms were 2 students and shared bathroom. My dorm is 3 students shared bathroom of 6. It is not as diverse of students than originally stated. They had explained that there is a large number of study abroad program. I have yet to see any students from abroad. The staff is very friendly except when it comes to financial aide office. They constantly send me emails asking for more information and when I go in person no one is ava I able to speak to or they advise to just look at their website. I'm not sure if they just have no idea what they are doing or if they are understaffed. From the tour I was told I would have an individual counselor to assist with all these questions however per them my counselor is to be determined. The other staff is very friendly and the food is amazing. Thanks to Boris!!! They do not allow drinking and obnoxious party kids. I am able to focus on my work. The curriculum and professors are perfect. I plan to join some other activities to co tinge to see if this is the best place for me to get my degree. They have a non competitive rowing team and a competitive one as well. The pool is under construction at this time and being in Florida it makes it less appealing since it is hot. Maybe by my next term it will be finished. However once again o the tour this summer I was not made aware of all the construction that seems to be going on at this time. Overall my experience has been satisfactory, they have room for improvements and I'm confident those improvements will happen.

Sydney

I came to college with the intention of staying for all four years of my degree, and I could not have picked a better school. The campus beautiful and convenient, everyone is friendly, and the weather is unmatched. I am an International Business/Finance major with a French minor and I work hard every day to reach my goals of success. The greatest thing about the University of Tampa is that the faculty works just as hard as you to ensure your success. If you put in the work, you’ll graduate with an education far more advanced than your peers, and will have enjoyed your degree in the process. Not only will you leave the school with a wealth of knowledge, but you will also have made friendships that will last you a lifetime. I am confident that I will remain close with my peers well into my career. However, like any school, I believe that there will always be room for improvement. Communication can definitely be an issue at times. Whether it is between departments, professors, or universities, you’re probably going to have to talk to a couple different people and run to a few different offices to get simple tasks achieved. It seems as though many people and departments are unaware of certain things that go on at the school, which can create a lot of stress. For example, studying abroad is a requirement for International Business majors, and in my pursuit of this opportunity, I have had to talk to seven different offices and get forms signed by six different department chairs. But, at the end of the day, inconvenient communication is a small price to pay, when in reality, the staff at the University of Tampa is simply trying to ensure success in every way.

Cassandra

I love it here. Its perfect size for me. Teachers are friendly and the size of the classrooms make the environment more personable. Housing is nice and spacious. Location is beautiful and the campus is beautiful as well. Only downfall is that there isn't enough on campus housing for the amount of students enrolled.

Melissa

Pros: The class sizes are small, but I personally like that because your professors know your name and actually form a bond with you if you put in the effort. The weather is great for people who like the heat; I do not. The faculty in all the departments are helpful and do their best to answer any questions or concerns you have. There are about 3 housing buildings that are even worth your money, but they are saved for upperclassmen. Also, the environment is stunning. The school is located in Downtown Tampa and there's a CVS and Walgreens close-by. There's also a small Walmart down the street, along with Taco Bell, McDonald's, Starbucks on-campus and off-campus, KFC, Wendy's, and Dunkin Donuts. There's a river on the East side of campus where people put up their hammocks between the palm trees. There's plenty of places to go downtown for restaurants and activities. The school itself is very historical and beautiful, can't say anything negative about that. Cons: The housing. Austin Hall, for freshmen, is generally a s**thole. We had cockroaches the day we moved in freshman year. There are people down at the front desk of the building, but they just sit there and do their homework or watch Netflix. When you're a sophomore, that's when things get better. You can live in Jenkins, Palm, Straz, Urso, or Brevard. Those buildings are very nice. But, once you're a junior and senior, housing is impossible to get. The school implemented a new policy in 2016 I believe that said that students with the FEWEST credits get to pick their housing first. Meaning, all the upperclassmen are left without housing, or they have the option to live off-campus in the Barrymore hotel. It's a 15-20 minute walk maybe, but there's a shuttle that runs pretty much all day. Either way, I came to this university and planned to stay here for all 4 years because it's beautiful, but I'm transferring back to my home-state because the housing system is ridiculous here. I refuse to get an apartment off-campus or live in a hotel that's the same price as if I lived in a double-room on-campus. ANOTHER con is the food. Oh wow, the food is disgusting. The dining hall food is seriously out of this world, and not in a good way. The workers are always rude, pretty much in any dining facility across campus. The dining selection is extremely small and eating the same food throughout the week gets old very very fast. ANOTHERRRR con is the fact that there is NO diversity at this school. It's filled with rice, white, blonde, skinny females and super-buff high-testosterone males, also white. The few black or Asian students all stick together. So if you don't fit the typical female or male description, you feel like an outcast. Overall, I wish I did more research before coming to this school. I wasted over $50k in loans for nothing because I genuinely regret attending this university. I'm transferring back after completing my 2nd year in May and going to a school that will give me a full ride and probably a better experience.

Allison

I like my school but the professors are extremely unavailable even though they claim to have time for their students. I tried multiple times to meet with my two of my professors during their office hours and every time I went to meet with them, they didn't show up. When I had questions on assignments, I emailed them and wouldn't hear back for weeks. The same goes for my counselor. It's a pretty campus but could definitely be staffed better.

Andrea

I think that The university of tampa is a great school overall. The staff really helpa you with any problem that may arise during your years attending the university and advisors really help you based on your situation and major. The location is great too.

Ayanna

I love the diversity of UT. Everyone has a different background yet make you feel like family and safe. So many activities going on for students to partake in which is lovely. If needed help to get to classes there are many upperclassmen helping us find our way.

Katelyn

I have enjoyed my time at UT. I found when I came in as a freshman it is a little difficult to find a group of friends because everyone is focused on their own inner circle. The school seems large but I run into people I know or recognize everytime I'm out and about. I have loved my professors and feel as though I am learning and am learning important pieces and facts that will help me in my life and career.

Qua'Daja

When I first stepped foot on campus I was amazed at how beautiful everything is. The university of Tampa is a beautiful school. Just like anywhere you go there are those people who have no interest in socializing with others but there are many more of those people that make it known that its okay to come up to them and ask them for help. The classroom sizes are okay and the teacher to student ratio in my first semester classes were perfect. I think this school is a wonderful place to attend despite the expense.

Rhiley

There is not much rooming for upper class students which is a complete pain. There is not a whole lot of parking on campus either which makes it hard for students to get to class on time because they have trouble finding a parking spot. The thing I like the most about this campus is that it is right in the center of downtown Tampa. It is also a very gorgeous campus as well.

I’ve only been at the University for a short amount of time but I already love it. The campus is beautiful and right in the middle of Tampa which is an amazing city with tons to explore. I would recomend UT to any and every college student. There is no place I’d rather be.

Alyssa

It is a great school to go to if you're looking to meet new people from all different places. Tampa is a great city and there is always something to do! The campus is beautiful, not to big or small, and the food is pretty good. Greatest perk of them all if you attend the university of Tampa is of course the weather.

Dimitra

I am currently a sophomore at UT majoring in Biology with a pre-med concentration. The advising staff doesn't have much information and are not much help. However, professors are always willing to help and answer your questions both in and out of class. The classes are moderately sized which makes for a comfortable learning environment. The overall campus is great and its proximity to downtown Tampa means that there is always something for you to do!

The University of Tampa is a college that needs a lot of improvements. The buildings are brand new and are nice to look at. However, the school needs to focus more on their students’ needs than the school’s appearance. Most students know that they can slack off because their work load and courses aren’t rigorous. I do not feel challenged at the University of Tampa. I believe some of the courses I took in high school were harder than my college courses. The school has an extremely laid back atmosphere. There are plenty of spots on campus to do work and lay out, however, you may not get work done if you choose to do so.

lauren

The University of Tampa is a great school, it's classroom sizes are small, professors are extremely helpful and always looking for individuals to accompany them with their own research, and there are always opportunities just around the corner. The school is absolutely amazing at providing more than enough, keeping students constantly up to date and what is happening on campus and there is a club for everybody no matter your interests.

I love The University of Tampa. It is a small, close-knit school that is easy to maneuver around. My favorite thing about it is the small class sizes. It makes it easy to get to know your professors. Also, make sure to bring a hammock! Plant Park has plenty of palm trees to relax and get work done by the river!

Haily

The University of tampa is a particularly special undergraduate school. The students are provided with the tools needed to succeed, and the campus always appears to be well taken care of. The students I’ve spoken with have said that teachers are around most of the time when you need them and there is a 17:1 student to teacher ratio. Overall, I am immensely impressed with The University Of Tampa. I am utterly excited and grateful to be attending next year.

Skylah

I enjoy attending the University of Tampa, but it is definitely lacking in some areas, such as extracurricular activities. A lot of classes are also not very intellectually stimulating and it sometimes feel as though most people around you are extremely unintelligent. The class size is small and intimate, which really helps with connecting to your professor. Partying is our strong suit and there is never a shortage of things to do in the downtown area of Tampa around campus, no matter the day of the week or time of day.

deana

The University of Tampa is a beautiful campus, located in the heart of the city. The grounds are breathtaking, with crew taking good care of them year-round. Facilities and dorms are up to date and well kept. Academic faculty is qualified and helpful, even off 'office hours.'

Gabriella

Amazing teachers and office staff that are always there to help you and guide you. The student and teacher ratios is great since there are smaller sized classrooms allowing more time for teacher interaction with the students. The food is amazing and plento to choose from, especially if you have food allergies.