Chattanooga, TN
The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

Brian

To not take unnessecary classes, as well to focus more during the first semester due to it being one of the most important semesters one will have during college.

How relaxed UTC is. Whether it is the faculty, to the students, to the laws, and so on. Plus their business school is ranked by Forbes as in the top 100 in the nation.

I wish I had truly known what college life is like. Meaning, how a college student lives and the best way to prepare for this. As well as how to focus best with tons of distractions that come with setting out on one's own.

Paul

I enjoy this school. I enjoy its size, not to big and not to small. There always seems to be something to do in Chattanooga, even more than the more larger cities I have been in. A beautiful surrounding area, perfect for hiking and rowing. Unfortunately our athletics department leaves much room for improvement, I base this purely on the success of our athletic teams. However, I have been told from the "jocks" that the coaches and administration are very good at what they do. There is an organization for everyone here on campus, and some of the most exciting and controversial experiences I've had, i.e. seeing pictures of aborted babies placed strategically around the busiest pathway on campus as a pro life protest, take place between them. Overall, I would say my good experiences outweigh the bad. UTC places at about a seven on a one to ten scale. Now if we could just figure out a way to get better cafeteria food.

Academics are wonderful at this school. In most of its majors the school has at least one big name professor employed. The professors are helpful and intelligible about there subjects. This goes for every class except general education classes, more specifically basic Chemistry. I absolutely hate the way the teachers teach this subject. That being said all around the school has impressed me with its effectiveness, especially being a state school. My major, biology, is represented well here. You can take any variety of classes from Geology to Mycology, all of which are taught by passionate professors that usually allow for individual study with them outside of class. The amount of studying also varies from class to class, which I assume is like most college campuses. With this in mind, if every state school had the academics UTC had they wouldn't receive such a bad rap.

Types of people on campus : Frat kids, Sorority girls, Stoners, Geeks/Nerds, and then everyone else. I would say these stereotypes are fairly accurate. The Greeks tend to stay with the Greeks, in which they have parties, and on average maintain the lowest of the GPA's on campus. The Stoners are here, but of course you barely see them out and about, if you do it will be down at the Yellow Deli, a 24/5 study spot that makes all sorts of "Hippy" type foods, in the middle of the night. Of course there are Geeks/nerds on every campus. At UTC this particular stereotype tends to stray from the smart, socially awkward norm to the mostly just awkward. You can catch them LARPing in the local student park in the middle of the day.

Justin

My High School senior year was very easy academically, yet the college search and application process was quite overwhelming. However, I did apply to all the colleges I wanted to go to, got accepted at every one I applied to, and completed everything I needed to. Everything went smoothly, aside from the financial aspect of college. Having applied for numerous scholarships, not getting even a single one was incredibly discouraging, and I ended up not attending college because of it. My parents have decided to have me pay for my own college with no assistance from them, so finding a way to close the gap between what is paid for and what is needed for college is a serious challenge, but one that shouldn't have discouraged me in to not going. Although I did work and get a better hold on my financial situation, I wish I had gone to college, even if it were a community college. With everything that has happened in the past year, if I could go back and tell myself one thing, I would simply say go for it, and worry about costs and all the technicalities later on, or as they come.

Jakson

There is a lot of schoole pride at UTC. Lots of people go to sporting events and wear school colors around campus. There is a very active student body here so ther is always something going on somewhere. There are lots of clubs and opportunites here that offer many opportunities. It has a high class feel and people dress rather nicely.

There isn't a big problem with race here. Everyone fits in and there isn't much bullying. Students are very politically aware and news oriented. Teachers are the same way. Most students are from Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville. Most students dress nice for class and do not dicriminate about each others situations in school. Many different types of student interact with each other. Thats all you see. There is an awsome climbing wall and new gym. They are building a new library right now.

Classes are not too big or too small here. The teachers get to know your name easily and class participation is becomes better and better as you ge tin higher level classes. I am a business major and love the business deptment and building. It has a good location on campus and a cafe where you can spend your mocs bucks. It has multiple computer labs and great classrooms.

The sterotypes at UTC are fairly accurate. The greeks dress like sterotypical greeks. The jocks all wear school clothes and hangout together. The isn't that many stoners. It is mostly looked down upon here. There aren't really geeks here everyone respects people who do their work and they aren't picked on and called geeks.

Morgan

UTC is best known for the Business Program that is offers. Also, the school offers various departments, giving students many options to choose from if they attend school here. With so many various departments, this gives students the opportunity to pick a major and/or minor of so many different possibilities.

I would have pushed myself to study more than once. In college, I’ve realized that studying is an essential part of passing your classes. Studying for the class and knowing the material cannot be accomplished the night before the big test, therefore in high school I would have begun preparing for tests a lot sooner to be used to for college. Being accustomed to that would have helped me a lot in my first semester, simply because I was not used to studying more than once for a test. My college classes required you to be prepared before you came to class and this was never the case in high school. When I was a senior, I would of pushed myself to excel harder, being more prepared for school, not procrastinating, and studying way more for tests.

I wouldn’t recommend going to UTC if you are close to your family and you live more than half an hour away. I wouldn’t go here if you are into big SEC teams because the sporting events are not a big deal at UTC. The campus is directly downtown, so if you are uncomfortable with people other than staff and students being on campus, this isn’t the right school. UTC offers a lot of organizations to be involved in, but you have to make an effort to be a part of them.

Lea

If I could go back and give myself advice as a high school senior, I would say to always be myself and stand up for what I believe in, no matter what. I would say not to give in to peer pressure, and to not contradict my values and standards to "fit in". I would teach myself how to actually study, and how important it is to learn and not memorize. I would also say to try harder to find and apply for a variety of different scholarships so I would not have to get student loans. And lastly, I would say to stay single until you find a career, and have as much fun as possible with friends because this will be the best time of your life.

Courtney

Courtney M. Milligan Campus Discovery scholarship essay Don’t give up. No matter what you encounter, don’t quit. God has so many plans for your life, and you wouldn’t believe me if I told you. Your teachers will become your closest friends, and you will also meet people who are like-minded. Friends will come at you in the snap of a finger. You have such a vibrant personality, and people will flock around you without ever feeling like you have to belong. In college, the sky’s the limit. Even when the situation seems hopeless, and you haven’t been accepted anywhere and you have no financial aid, don’t give up. I know that God can take a young lady from struggling in remedial classes, to excelling, in her junior year, at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga. And it doesn’t stop there. As long as you believe in yourself, you can do anything you put your mind to. Yes you can, yes you can…and yes…I did.

The kind of person that schould attend this school, is the kind if person; like any other person or persons, who wants to be successful in life and learn the fundementals needed to succcede in the forfullness of their poitential; and be great doing it. The kind of person who says, "I believe now, more than ever that it is imperative to get and education, because without it, I will get nowhere in life". And not let anyone or anybody come in the way of them and their education.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that, it's difficult to find the right help you need; as a transfer student, to be successful. As we'll as the lack of communication in the campus as a whole; wheather it involves with the houising department or in your major department. When seeking help it sceams their is no one in particular that can assist you, without giving you the run around, as well as, the fact that their is little to no school unity; which causes a division among campus students.

Brandon

Its size and location are unique compared to other schools I considered.

Its size and location are unique compared to other schools I considered.

Know what I know now about college life and making the transition , I would advise myself as a high school senior to stay focussed on the path I want my life to take. I would say study hard and play hard too, because life has to be balanced. Never let bad influences take you over.

I brag most about what a great learning environment UTC provides. Smaller class sizes and more attentive professors.

stavros

The most important advice I could possibly give myself at that point in time is to strive for success even after high school.

The school I am planning on attending projects a great campus and includes mostly a friendly environment to learn under.

The current location of the school is quite fat from my home, so it may seem difficult for me to move into the campus.

The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.