Chattanooga, TN
The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

David

I would say to my high school senior self, " I know that you're worried about college, and I know you're especially worried about people. You think that, even now, kids are making decisions you don't agree with- drinking, smoking, having sex, and just trying to grow up too fast in general. It's frustrating! They're not bad people, but you just can't seem to get over their bad decisions. It seems that, unchained from their parents, people are only going to get worse in college, and you'll be surrounded by them. Adam, I want you to know that people are just that- people. You may disagree with some things that they do, but there's more to them than that. They have just as many thoughts and feelings as you. It is wrong to judge them because they act differently than you. Accept them, talk to them, be their friends, and you'll find that... well, it's hard to find a bad person! You're going to find many great friendships in college if you see past differences instead of fight them. See people as people, and treat everyone as your friend."

The best thing about UTC is its size. The university is a small school, but with just the right amount of people. This familiarity among students encourages friendships that are made even stronger by the intimate size of the the campus. I often hear from my friends who attend larger universities that it 's difficult to get to know anyone. You hardly see the same person twice, and the daunting number of people create feelings of isolation, lonliness, and anonymity. I'm quite grateful for the "just right" size of UTC, and for my friends because of it!

Before I came to UTC, I wish I had known how great it was going to be. I was worried before I came about how I was going to make friends, if coming to college was even worth it, and if I was going to have a good time. I'm glad to say that all my fears turned out not to be true- I've made wonderful friends, I enjoy and value the education I'm recieving, and I've had a great time. You just have to be open and accepting, and these years will be your best.

Kristal

Theres not one word to descirbe them, they all are different but funny in many ways.

I dont think many would think this is unique but the dorms that are on UTC campus are all co-ed. I know most of the colleges I considered, if not all, were bot girl dorms and I just thought it was neat. Plus we do not have the traditional dorm, like everyone mates up to one room and the whole floor shares BATHROOM or KITCHEN. All students basically live in an appartment. 4 to each complex and i love it.

I turely wish that Icould go back in time to tell myself to not be lazy. I beleive the cut off point for everyone to be lazy is the senior year. The things I used to do or should I say didnt want to do, came back and hit me in the face. I wish i could tell myself to be super prepared for every class, assignment, even study time, weeks ahead. Also I wish I could tell myself a year before to feel out a housing application. It make things easier to get to class and have the resources with in walking difference. Since this is my first year in college, there are things that I will progress in as the years come but the simple things I explained earlier would make a difference to my academic year.

Sydney

UTC is a beautiful and smaller campus, with all the opportunities and benefits of the larger schools and great housing.

As I said before, UTC isn't a huge campus. It allows me to get the full college experience without overwhelming me. It isn't so large that I get lost in the masses and it has enabled me to meet new people and develop relationships with my professors after only a short time there. It is located in great city and only a 2 hour drive from my parents. The distance allows me to become independent but I also know that home isn't that far away. It was a great choice for me.

After talking to many of my friends from high school after our first semester in college, we all agreed on a few things. First, no matter how good grades were in high school, we were not prepared for college. We were ready to live on our own, independent from our parents' houses, but we were not prepared for the actual amount of studying that is required to be successful in college. My best advice to high school seniors is to learn how to study now and don't wait until you get that first test back before you take that class seriously. Learn what works for you, whether you need to make flash cards or find a special place to study, but learn that now so you can start your college classes with a proactive approach. Be confident in your abilities. College can be intimidating, but having the confidence that you can tackle that project or tough professor will allow you to relax and be successful. Second, appreciate living at home. The independence is great, but we all miss eating at home and clean clothes!

carmisha

i think it's best known for our graduation history.

i think it's best known for our graduation history.

i would tell myself that college is nothing like high school. focus on your grades and not only on friends. college is very hard and not all your professors will hold your hand through thr process like high school teachers. your grade and success depemds on going to class on time and the amount of studying you do.

some of the students tend to act childish.

Kila

I like the fact that this school is not too big to where you will never make friends because all of the classrooms are like stadium seating.

Do not go into college thinking solely about the party scene. Make sure all of your grades are in order before you set foot in the clubs. It is very easy to get off track. The hardest thing to do is bring up your GPA, yet it is so easy to decrease it. Be friendly to everyone becasue you never knbow what benefit it may serve you in the near future or even in the long run.

The worst thing about this campus is the fire drills. People set off the fire alarm with the slightest hint of smoke. They cook at all hours of the morning!

Serenity

The only advice that I can percieve giving to the High School Senior version of myself is not to worry. It may seem rather cliche, but if I had not stressed about college so much throughout my Senior Year then it would have went by much more smoothly, and with an infinite amount less of emotional breakdowns--struggling with the ideal of college level work, and crying over tuition costs--had all been for not. My college offered me grants, work study, and loans to help cover some of my costs. In addition to that, a free-tutoring lab is almost always open on campus for all students in need of assitence; and the friends I've met at college I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I would have forewarned myself about the constant...inconviences of dormitory living--such as leaky faucets, and moldy shower curtains--and would have strongly cautioned to bring a cell phone, as they come in handy during emergencies. Oh, by the way, self? Your 11th Grade History teacher was right when he warned you about the strict essay gradings of college History professors. Keep on moving, you can do it.

I consider the geographical location on Arkansas State University is the worst thing for me. Whenever strong downpours of rain come then the campus, especially the central area, is horribly prone to flooding. Not to mention the Craighead County is fairly flat land, so Tornado Watches and Warnings are current off and on during the Spring season. This is to be expected since Arkansas is considered the outskirts of Tornado Alley. Also, the university over 300 miles away from the nearest residence of a relative. of mine. However, this helps aid in learning self-dependence as well.

Arkansas State University is not a college in which you can clearly define what sort of person should and should not attend. At least, not anymore than any other colleges. Those wanting to attend should be ready to be emerged in cultural diversity, as the plethora of international students living on the university grounds makes the campus our own personal melting pot. Only students serious in the pursuit of furthering his or her education should attend, otherwise it would be money spent down the drain. Besides ASU not offering certain majors, I see no reason why anyone shouldn't attend.

UTC is known for its education program and the Physical Therapy department. It is also known for the surrounding outdoor active environment with plenty of places to go hiking, rock climbing, backpacking, or biking.

If given the chance to travel back to my time as a high school senior, I would tell myself that upon entering college I should keep doing the things I love. Just because you are no longer playing a sport for a varsity team does not mean that you should give it up completely; join a club team or play intramurals. Also, be yourself in every situation; let people see you for who you truly are and they will respect you and the decisions you make. Try new campus activities; they help you to make new friends and network with other people on campus. Do not be bashful about asking someone to room with you; if you do not ask a friend, you may be stuck with someone you do not get along with well. Classes will sometimes frustrate you and you will have more work than you think possible to handle, but do not be discouraged; persevere and you will succeed in the end. When you know no one in your classes, branch out and introduce yourself to those around you; you never know who might become one of your best frineds.

UTC has a very friendly and active environment that encourages friendship between students and an active lifestyle both on campus and in the surrounding area.

Hope

I thought that the transition to college was going to be a lot easier than it was. From the scholastic aspect, it was very easy. the emotional transition was very different. If i could go back to my senior year, I would tell myself that I am going to have to put myself out there more than I ever have before. I have always been a people person, but it was not so hard to be a people person when I was in a place where every one knew me. I upheld many leadership roles in high school like Beta club president and Class secretary, but I was leading a group of people that I had went to school with and grown up with for years. Coming to college put me out of my comfort zone in that aspect. I was not mentally prepared, so I ran to the group of friends that came from my home to the same school as me. I would tell myself to venture out and not be afraid to take chances. Now in the spring semester I am getting settled and more comfortable with college life and meeting new people.

I wish I would have known that the school is not as spirited as what I am used to. My high school did things that made the biggest majority of the student body want to be envolved but that isn't always the case here. Homecoming was a big disappointment. School spirit is not a big deal here.

I tell my friends about the class sizes and the outdoor recreational opportunities. Fitness is a big part of my life and future career and we have an amazing facility. My friends can relate with me about outdoors events because we come from a small town that offers a lot of those things. In that sense, my school creates a home-away-from-home atmosphere.

Ciara

They are cool classmates.

They are cool classmates.

Ciara, when you are accepted to UTC, you will have to venture outside your comfort zone. In order to know what is waiting for you. You have so many options and you must take your classwork serious. You can socialize, but do not forget your schoolwork comes before anything. Especially, before your job. Do not worry about how school will get paid. If you leave it in God's hands, he will make away. School can be fun and learning experience. Enjoy yourself and balance your priorities.

My school will lead me to do great things when Igraduate. I will be well prepared for what is ahead?

Christian

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga has everything you could ever want from a college; apartment style dorms, city life, outdoor life, friends, a great academic program, and tons of experiences to be made.

Do not be afraid to let loose a little bit, but just not too much. This is something that every high school should hear before going to their first semster at college. Every part of college is new and can be a little intimdating, especially if you have come to a school where you dont have any of your friends with you. You have to be able to experience new things, and if you dont do that your college life will be less fun and less productive. You can't be afraid to meet new people, raise your hand in class, or go have some fun. College becomes a lot more fun once you have got to know some people, so dont be afraid, just do it and you will enjoy your college career a lot more. Then again you can't always be out having fun, because that happens too often, and, freshman especially, end up not going to class and failing classes their first semester. So have fun, meet some people, and remember why you are in school, and it will be the time of your life.

This school is awesome. You get to be right in the city and no more than 30 miles from anything and everything outdoors. In the city you have everything you would expect to keep you entertained. What makes UTC different is that in the surrounding area we have mountains, rock climbing, white water rafting, skydiving, and much more. Also, soon to come in our brand new work out facility is a lazy river. It can be used by anyone, and for the canoeing and scuba diving classes too. It has everything and is the perfect school.

The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.