Chattanooga, TN
The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

Cody

I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, you're going to need the money. Then I would tell myself to avoid eating out more than once a week and to save as much money as possible. Then I would probably go on a bit of a rant towards my younger self, saying things like, "If you can rent a textbook instead of buying it, do it. Go greek, it's awesome. Don't let yourself procrastinate over school work. Study first, then party if you want to. Don't get those two mixed up. Use the library, it will help you more than you may think. Don't live too far away from campus, you're going to hate that drive everyday and sometimes twice a day. Don't let the gas gauge get anywhere near empty because it's really hard to find someone with a gas can two hours from home. Don't drink and drive, it never has and never will be worth it. Don't get embarrased over anything, just be yourself. And most importantly, have fun with everything you do because you only get to experience college once."

The worst thing about UTC is the parking. There isn't nearly enough parking spaces for students on campus, unless you're willing to fork out $250 for a reserved parking pass, and even that spot isn't guaranteed. Luckily I live close enough to campus to where I can walk to campus, but the majority of students do have to put up with this issue.

Jordan

There are two main things I would give myself advise on if I could talk to my highschool self. The first thing would be to take dual enrollment courses before I graduate. I opted out of taking them and didn't realize how beneficial they would have been. If I would have taken them I could have seen what a college course was like and be more prepared. It would have also given me more credit hours. Since the time you get to register for classes depends on your credit hours this would have helped me not to miss out on some of the classes I wanted that were filled before I could sign up. I had to take some classes during a later semester which put me behind on my graduation plan. Another piece of advise I would give myself is to make a study plan and stick to it. I would often push off studying to hang out with friends, and then later I would end up without time to study. My grades could have been much better if I would have stayed focused and committed.

The teachers here are really great. They are always willing to help you. They make themselves available to their students in many ways so that the students are always able to reach them if they have any questions or need anything. A lot of my teachers have found students internships and have even offered to be listed as a reference for job applications. They all seem to really care about their students.

I wish I would have gotten a campus tour and learned more about the school and its campus. I still do not know much about it except for the parts I am involved in. It would have helped me so I would have known good study spots and places to get food and hang out during breaks. I would have been more knowledgeable about the resources that are provided to me.

Molly

Always read ahead for your classes in order to stay on top of things. Even though college may seem more lax than highschool, especially freshman year, keep in mind that the grades you make in college determine either your graduate school or career. You're building your life with your grades for four years, so make sure to keep them up. Also, get involved in the school and community in order to begin making a name for yourself. That way, when you're out in the "real world," you have plenty of references and experience to make yourself a viable choice for an open job position. Even with all these committments and stressors, still make time for fun and relaxation as well. If one thing is bound to drive you crazy in college, it's over-loading yourself with time committments and not having the time to unwind now and then.

Anyone who hates hills and mountains.

katelyn

As a senior i was obsorbed in the here and now. I was more concired about my dance team than what school i wanted to go to, or more focused on my chior performances than i was on what major i wanted to go into. Although my grades were always important to me and i always kept a high gpa i never took classes that would push me and perpare me for college. After my first semester without any finacail aid and little perporation, i had a rude awakening to what i know had to do to catch up. If i could go back and give myself advice i would make sure that i realize then the importance of perparing for college finacailly and metally. Another thing i wold want to tell myself is to make sure i make choices that are important to me. If i go to college becuse my parents want me to i am less likely to be successful than if i make the choice myslef. The last thing i would tell myslef is to not be a follower, you are your own person so do something for yourself.

Alfred

A lot can happen in a year. Now four years removed from high school, I've learned a lot about college life and life itself. If i was telling myself about college life, I'd say not to freak out. College is the same as high school. The workload is a tad more, but the overall experience isn't different. The freedom is a stress relaxor and time is more available. I would tell myself to take more liberal arts classes right off the start. Stick with the one online class I took that I figured was worth dropping. My choice to double major was a late decison and could have helped when I only took three classes for two semesters. The extra four classes could move my graduation date up by a semester or so. Above all I would tell myself to continue on my path. Every question that pops up and forces me to stress or worry is just a stepping stone. Never quit on anything. You're mind and creativity will propell you farther than you thought. Don't overthink things.

The location. Chattanooga is like a city that grew out of the mountains. The setting creates a tranquil overcast while the city and student population keep us on a level mindset. A side note, we have a public bike system on campus which I thought was very cool.

The school is the "younger sibling" of University of Tennessee at Knoxville. because of this out faculty and curriculem is much lower than the other campus. I would love to change that for all of the student body.

Rodney

The university of tennesse at chattanooga is best know for its business opportunities.

I woud tell myself to not be so nervous about college and not to be afraid to apply. I would also tell myself to try not to slack off as much and don't do anything to get into trouble. I also would tell him to try to seriously apply to as many scholarships as you can and get a job to save some money for the future.

So far, the most frustrating thing is the price of items.

Christine

Hey Self, I know that everything is scary right now. You are moving away from home, you are starting college, and finally you are becoming an adult! Just calm down. This huge transition is something that you will get used to fast. One thing that you need to do is get out of your dorm room! There is so much that you can go and do. Go to the many different RA activates, they are a lot of fun and you will meet many different people. Take it from me, spending the whole first semester in your dorm room get boring and lonely. A second thing that you need to do is to join in clubs. There are so many different clubs on campus that you can join, as well as joining in the Student Government. Joining in these activities will help immensely with the homesick. Yes, you will miss mom and dad, and even Spike, but being active takes away from that. A final tip I would give you for your transition to college life, is to get to know your professors. They are all very nice and enjoy having you come visit them. So do it! Sincerely, Me

Kelle

My classmates were like a community inside and outside the classroom.

My classmates were like a community inside and outside the classroom.

I would say to self, "You do not have it all figured out like you think you do!" I remember back in high school I had this plan. Graduate high school, go to college, graduate college, and start my career. I did not seem to pay too much attention to all those little details inbetween. Details such as changing my major for the fifth time, or working 2 part-time jobs, or having to live off-campus. All these things we not planned, but my end destination still remains the same; to have a career where I make a difference. I never thought I would be where I am now. Life does not seem to get easier as I strive to graduate college and start my career, but then again...I have always liked a challenge.

I wish I had known that I had looked into all the majors provided by the school because compared to other univeristies ours is limited.

Zach

"Hey, Zach. I'm you from the future. Congratulations on making it to your senior year at Davidson Academy. You've got a bright future ahead of you, but I'm here to help you out and save you a lot of grief. Firstly, stop chasing girls. You are in high school. Enjoy all of your friends right now. When you get to college, there will be plenty of girls that will be drooling over you. Be patient. You should see your girlfriend now!! That brings me to my second point. Spend as much time with your friends as possible. This is the time to mold strong friendships that will benefit you in college and throughout your life. When the stress of three papers and two exams during finals week becomes too much, you will be turning to those friends for comfort. With my final words of advice, I tell you this. Open your mind! You are no longer protected by the bubble that was your private high school. You will encounter people of different races, languages, sexual orientations, etc. When you are closed-minded, you only limit your opportunities for growth. I must go now. Good luck!"

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is not too big but not too small. If a person is looking for a very large place to attend college, this university might not be for them. If a person doesn't like interacting with nice, genuine people, they should not attend this university.

The most frustrating thing about my school is registering for classes. For example, I am a pre-dietetics major needing to take human phsyiology. However, only 7 spots for dietetics majors are alloted for that class. I'll be a senior this year. There are freshmen in the class. That frustrates me.

Alix

Hey wake up! Go to IB Biology, read that IB History chapter, write that poem for IB English, this is just one year and you will make it through it just fine. It seems hard now? It’s not, these teachers care whether you fail or succeed, next year you can not show up to any class and your professors won’t care. You will be completely on your own, something you aren’t used to, but guess what. You’ll survive that too! Stay focused, buy a couple of Rockstars, and know that you ARE strong enough to make it through. There are going to be lots of times where you just break down and cry, and that’s okay just get back up and continue up. It’s true when they say that the first time is the hardest, first time buying books, first time without parents, first time having to write down notes so fast that you swear your hand is going to fall of (hint: record your lectures.) What do I have to say for that? Oh well. You survived IB in high school and now you will survive this like a pro.

The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.