Chattanooga, TN
The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

Alfred

A lot can happen in a year. Now four years removed from high school, I've learned a lot about college life and life itself. If i was telling myself about college life, I'd say not to freak out. College is the same as high school. The workload is a tad more, but the overall experience isn't different. The freedom is a stress relaxor and time is more available. I would tell myself to take more liberal arts classes right off the start. Stick with the one online class I took that I figured was worth dropping. My choice to double major was a late decison and could have helped when I only took three classes for two semesters. The extra four classes could move my graduation date up by a semester or so. Above all I would tell myself to continue on my path. Every question that pops up and forces me to stress or worry is just a stepping stone. Never quit on anything. You're mind and creativity will propell you farther than you thought. Don't overthink things.

The location. Chattanooga is like a city that grew out of the mountains. The setting creates a tranquil overcast while the city and student population keep us on a level mindset. A side note, we have a public bike system on campus which I thought was very cool.

The school is the "younger sibling" of University of Tennessee at Knoxville. because of this out faculty and curriculem is much lower than the other campus. I would love to change that for all of the student body.

Rodney

The university of tennesse at chattanooga is best know for its business opportunities.

I woud tell myself to not be so nervous about college and not to be afraid to apply. I would also tell myself to try not to slack off as much and don't do anything to get into trouble. I also would tell him to try to seriously apply to as many scholarships as you can and get a job to save some money for the future.

So far, the most frustrating thing is the price of items.

Christine

Hey Self, I know that everything is scary right now. You are moving away from home, you are starting college, and finally you are becoming an adult! Just calm down. This huge transition is something that you will get used to fast. One thing that you need to do is get out of your dorm room! There is so much that you can go and do. Go to the many different RA activates, they are a lot of fun and you will meet many different people. Take it from me, spending the whole first semester in your dorm room get boring and lonely. A second thing that you need to do is to join in clubs. There are so many different clubs on campus that you can join, as well as joining in the Student Government. Joining in these activities will help immensely with the homesick. Yes, you will miss mom and dad, and even Spike, but being active takes away from that. A final tip I would give you for your transition to college life, is to get to know your professors. They are all very nice and enjoy having you come visit them. So do it! Sincerely, Me

Kelle

My classmates were like a community inside and outside the classroom.

My classmates were like a community inside and outside the classroom.

I would say to self, "You do not have it all figured out like you think you do!" I remember back in high school I had this plan. Graduate high school, go to college, graduate college, and start my career. I did not seem to pay too much attention to all those little details inbetween. Details such as changing my major for the fifth time, or working 2 part-time jobs, or having to live off-campus. All these things we not planned, but my end destination still remains the same; to have a career where I make a difference. I never thought I would be where I am now. Life does not seem to get easier as I strive to graduate college and start my career, but then again...I have always liked a challenge.

I wish I had known that I had looked into all the majors provided by the school because compared to other univeristies ours is limited.

Zach

"Hey, Zach. I'm you from the future. Congratulations on making it to your senior year at Davidson Academy. You've got a bright future ahead of you, but I'm here to help you out and save you a lot of grief. Firstly, stop chasing girls. You are in high school. Enjoy all of your friends right now. When you get to college, there will be plenty of girls that will be drooling over you. Be patient. You should see your girlfriend now!! That brings me to my second point. Spend as much time with your friends as possible. This is the time to mold strong friendships that will benefit you in college and throughout your life. When the stress of three papers and two exams during finals week becomes too much, you will be turning to those friends for comfort. With my final words of advice, I tell you this. Open your mind! You are no longer protected by the bubble that was your private high school. You will encounter people of different races, languages, sexual orientations, etc. When you are closed-minded, you only limit your opportunities for growth. I must go now. Good luck!"

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is not too big but not too small. If a person is looking for a very large place to attend college, this university might not be for them. If a person doesn't like interacting with nice, genuine people, they should not attend this university.

The most frustrating thing about my school is registering for classes. For example, I am a pre-dietetics major needing to take human phsyiology. However, only 7 spots for dietetics majors are alloted for that class. I'll be a senior this year. There are freshmen in the class. That frustrates me.

Alix

Hey wake up! Go to IB Biology, read that IB History chapter, write that poem for IB English, this is just one year and you will make it through it just fine. It seems hard now? It’s not, these teachers care whether you fail or succeed, next year you can not show up to any class and your professors won’t care. You will be completely on your own, something you aren’t used to, but guess what. You’ll survive that too! Stay focused, buy a couple of Rockstars, and know that you ARE strong enough to make it through. There are going to be lots of times where you just break down and cry, and that’s okay just get back up and continue up. It’s true when they say that the first time is the hardest, first time buying books, first time without parents, first time having to write down notes so fast that you swear your hand is going to fall of (hint: record your lectures.) What do I have to say for that? Oh well. You survived IB in high school and now you will survive this like a pro.

Kirstie

If I could go back in time, to when I was a senior in high school, and give myself advice about college, I would tell myself how to handle the challenges I will be faced with in many different ways than ever before. By this, I am referring to one of life's most important aspects, which is morals and values. I would tell myself that it is reasonable to experience new things, but not to get carried away or forget about the morals by setting boundaries. Another challenge I would warn myself about is the procrastination. This is because in college, my mom and dad aren't around to tell me when to do my homework anymore, when I need to study, or when I can hang out with friends. This is crucial when understanding how to manage my time wisely. Lastly, I would tell myself that I should have a good time while I'm in college, but also stay focused and make my school work come first. I would encourage getting involved with activities on campus where I could meet new people and step out of my comfort zone.

I wish I had known more about my surroundings, such as where restaurants or shopping centers are located and being familiar with the names of roads.

I think that a student who likes being out in the country would not like this school and shouldn't attend this school because it is a very large city and is never quiet.

Alex

My classmates are amazingly polite, and I have never had any problems with them.

DO NOT become lazy in your high school senior year. You need to get a jump on things ahead of time. You would probably be a lot richer and better off if you do not slack the last year.

Someone who does not want to apply themselves to their school. I think everyone would enjoy something about UTC.

Terica

I attend a lovely four-year university in the beautiful city of Chattanooga, Tennessee that offers an unlimited number of opportunities that allow students to become involved, enjoy their college experience, and help plan out their future beyond receiving a diploma.

It would awesome to have the opportunity to go back in time and give my "high school senior self" some advice about college! I would definitely begin by congratulating myself for all of my hard work and achievements made thus far. However, I would also tell myself that the hard work had to continue and that senior year of high school was not the time to be in "relaxation mode." I would tell myself to be sure to fill out as many scholarship applications as possible, and to retake the ACT because I could be a point away from a scholarship. I would also tell myself to think of types organizations and ways to stay active and involved on campus. Lastly, I would tell myself to continue to have such outstanding self discipline because it most definitely would come in handy in college. I'd tell myself to enjoy high school and not to rush through life. Talking to my self as a high school senior would be nice, but overall I am happy with the way my college life has turned out so far!

I wish that I had taken scholarships and the ACT more seiously. Although I applied for many scholarships and achieved a nice score on the ACT, I wish I would have worked just a little harder. I also wish I understood how competitive financial aid for school was. I always assumed that if I worked hard and made good grades I could go to college where ever I wanted to. Now I understand the realities of the costs of being a college student.

UTC is known for its friendly and hospitable people, its student organizational involvement, and its beautiful campus. Our business program is one of the best in the world , and many programs like nursing and computer science are following. Our resident halls are one of a kind and the environment that envelopes them is contagously positive. The students are sociable, willing to get involved, and work hard. It has a small campus feel but it's smack in the middle of downtown Chattanooga. Overall, UTC is a wonderful place to live and grow into the person you want to be.

Looking back, I would tell my stressed out self to take a deep breath and that life moves on. What feels like an eternity now will soon fly by faster than the blink of an eye, so enjoy it. I know you're having a difficult time with your group of friends, but you're going to join four different organizations in which you will meet wonderful new people who will become your new best friends and will love you for who YOU are! Your journey academically will be hard and challenging, but you are a strong young women who has been through so much already and can get through so much more. Daniel will love you more than ever and understand that you are the women he needs in his life, so stop worrying about him. Momma gets better with time so listen to her, trust me. You can make it to graduation, and when you do you'll feel yourself take that next step in your life. Believe and have faith in yourself and try to look at things day by day because that is what is going to get you through these next four years.

One of the more frustrating characteristics of UTC is all of the contruction going on. Our campus is expanding, therefore the usual routes are detoured. Also, there is a shortage of housing since we are an urban campus and cannot quicly build a residence hall. Sometimes the advisement is not so accurate when telling students what to take for a certain major. Miscommunication happens, and students end up taking classes they do not need therefore making them stay for five years. UTC is a work in progress and these problems are constantly being worked on by staff and students.

The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.