Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

I love going to a big school! It is the only school I applied to attend. I think there is school pride here but I don't like seeing people in other university's apparel. I love gamedays here. I love having so many people available to meet. I don't like large class sizes in upper level classes

I tend to spend time within my own demographics. Students wear t-shirts and jeans/sweats to class. anything comfortable lots of students from instate most greek organizations are predominantly conservative

That it is a party school. That you can get good grades without trying. That we are hillbillies

Greek organizations are the most popular, especially in certain demographics. Athletic events (particularly football and basketball) are populat Met my closest friends through sorority and my boyfriend's fraternity If I'm awake, I'm studying on a tuesday people party thursday-sunday i love my sorority! Went out last weekend Hang out with friends, see a movie, dinner

Some professors know my name. I study lots! Class participation is common if the teacher requires it, or if a student is trying to get a letter of recommendation. Students are very competitive. I don't think lots of genereal education requirements are that necessary, especially for people who are certain about what they want to do.

Lindsay

The best thing about UTK is the atmosphere. The campus is beautiful, and the people are friendly. It's a big school, but if you get to know a lot more people than you would imagine. This school is large compared to what I'm used to, but I don't think it's too large. I spend most of my time on campus either in my dorm, hanging out with friends, or at the library. The most recent controversy that I can remember than directly affected me were the fires that were started in Humes Hall, where I live. UTK has SO much school pride. Sports are huge. We're awesome at basketball and pretty decent at football. People love orange here, and everyone has so much pride in our sports teams and just our university in general. I'll always remember the football games and the excitement that could be felt on campus after a big win.

I think any type of student could feel at home at UTK. There are SO many different organizations that could be beneficial to anyone that chose to come here. Most students wear casual clothes to class, appropriate for the weather. Different types of students interact, mostly within class time. Most UTK students are from Tennessee or the surrounding states. Many students here seem to be conservative, but I'd say it's equal both ways.

I'm involved in Delta Zeta sorority here on campus. Students in dorms don't generally leave their doors open, besides in the sorority and fraternity housing, where everyone knows everyone else pretty well. I met my closest friends through my sorority and the girls that I live with. If I'm awake at two am on a Tuesday, it's usually because I'm studying or just goofing off with my roommate. Every year there are various traditions on campus, such as tailgating before football games. People party a lot here at UTK, but not as much as some might think. Fraternities and sororities are a big part of this campus, but not all students are involved in them.

Academics at UTK are getting better. Most of my professors know my name, because many of my classes are smaller than I expected them to be. My favorite class is Spanish, and my least favorite would have to be Sociology, just because it doesn't interest me. Students aren't as competitive here than they were at my small high school. The most unique class for me has been Scandalous Women in American History. It was a class I had to take for the Honors program. I'm majoring in Advertising, but I just now switched so I don't know much about the department thus far.

Not everyone parties all the time. UTK is a lot more based on academics than it seems.

That everyone here parties constantly. UTK is supposedly a huge party school.

Laura

I love UTK so much and everything about it. the sports, my soroity, my friends, the school pride.

UTK is a wonderful school and I enjoy being a part of it. This is my first semester here, but I love it very much! My soroity, Pi Beta Phi, is something I really love being a part of and all the girls are so friendly and welcoming. There is tons of school pride at Tennessee from the football games to the basketball games to orange nation.

no students should ever feel out of place anywhere. utk and all schools should never be judgemental. no one ever really says anything mean, or nothing i have ever heard of.

Soroity girls are rich, slutty, stuck up, dumb blondes. Frat guys just want some and then they'll forget about you

some proffesors get to know the students, and some don't care at all. i like the teachers who actually take time to get to know the students and have a small number of students in their classes. larger classes seem to lack people because normally the professor is boring and talks the whole time.

i love my soroity and i think every girl should join one. they are so much fun and a great way to meet friends, and have lifelong sisters. they also offer intermural sports that are always fun and non competetive. you can always go out without drinking. you can go to the movies or have a girls night out, or even go to the parties and bars and just don't drink, just hang out and have fun.

The student body is pretty friendly. I never hear any racial comments or religious views put down. Everyone seems to like everyone from what I have seen.

hippie, materalistic, soroity slut, frat tat

The acdemics are very good. The teachers know how to enrich the lives of the students by teaching them everything they need to know. There is lots of tutors avaiable for every subject and they are willing to help! You also have the writing center, which is very useful in writing papers.

I think it is a great idea to have intermural sports so it gives everyone a chance to play or do something they love. It is a great opportunity to meet friends as well. People party every night, but that doesn't mean you have to. There are always going to be people who get drunk every night. You can still have fun without drinking. You can go see a movie, or go on a date, or even go to parties that have alcohol, you just don't have to drink any of it.

Lindsey

I love the people and the campus the most about my school. I think the only thing I would change would be the air/ heat system; it is always either too hot or too cold. I think my school is just the right size; I thought it would be too big and crowded, but now I know so many people that I pass by everyday. I believe a big controversy is the frat, Pike, and the trouble they have been getting into. There is a ton of school pride here. I spend most of my time in the library studying, or either at the frat, sigma phi epsilon with my friends.

Most students wear jeans and a tee shirt or sweats. After the first day of class there is no reason to dress up anymore. Most UTK students are from all over Tennessee with a concentration on Knoxville and Nashville.

I am involved with the sorority Pi Beta Phi. Students don't really leave their doors open while in the dorm, except for the sorority dorms and the frat houses. UTK basketball and football teams are major events that people stand in line for just to get tickets. The dating scene is huge. People are usually looking for someone to date. If I am up at 2am I am usually in the library studying. People party regularly, but mainly on the weekends.

no. We are into sports, but that is not what we are all about. Students do like to party, but not all of us drink, and those that do don't drink hardcore all the time. I always see students studying and even miss parties to do well in their academics.

I know my teachers' names. My favorite class so far was Acting 101. My least favorite is geology, it is so boring and seems pointless. I personally study a few hours a day. We don't really have class participation. I believe that we usually do have intellectual conversations out of the classroom all the time. Students really are competitive, we all want to do better than eachother.

That UTK is only into sports and that we are a party school. That UTK students drink 24/7 and don't really care about grades.

I love the unity of UT. I feel at home, cared for, and most of all like i belong. Its a feeling I know other colleges don't have.

I think the student body needs improvement most because most do not care about voting or the effects that take place because of SGA.

I think lots of students leave their doors open. I think dating is a big thing here, most are looking for a compaignion.

I think academics here at UT are challanging. They have been useful and interesting.

Devin

The best thing about UTK is the football games and school spirit. I would change the way to get student basketball tickets. Most students who want to go, most of the time don't because they don't want to wait hours in the cold to get into the game.

I think things should be more unified. Different kinds of students interact. It seems most students are from Tennessee especially the Nashville area. The students who care about politics and are interested in them participate in politics. Students do talk about how much they will earn someday.

Its complete crap to get in trouble for being in a dorm room with alcohol and NOT drinking. Because of that you have to take an alcohol diversion program class. by the name it is suppose to divert you from alcohol, but how can you really do that if you weren't drinking? exactly. UTK has a lot of great things to offer, but there needs to be more sections of classes and a new way of student tickets to basketball games.

Sororities and fraternities are the most popular organizations on campus. I am in the sorority Pi Beta Phi. Girls on the sorority floors leave their doors open. They trust one another. Football and basketball games seem to be the most popular athletic events. It can be harder to meet someone to date at such a large school, but once you find one it is worth it. At 2am on a tuesday i would either be watching tv, on the computer, or hanging out. Depends on the person as to how much they party. Some party a lot, some don't. Frats and sororities are important. Last weekend I went home.

My favorite class is my acting class. It is something that I love to do and the teacher is energetic and makes class fun. I think UTK students do participate in class. I love my major but with the large amount of students, signing up for required classes is too much of a pain. A required course only has two sections allowing a total of 40 students to sign up is obsured.

Alex

UTK is a big campus in Knoxville TN. However, once you get use to it, it feels so small!! I love going to UT! My favorite thing about it is the football games! We have alot of school pride and tradition and that makes going to UT even better!!!! The most common complaints about UT that I know I and other students have is the parking situation. UT does not have enough parking spaces on campus to hold the number of students that they have, it is truly ridiculousy!!! But i still would not want to be anywhere else!

UT has organizations for everyone on campus!! There is always somewhere you can fit in, I can guarantee that no student will ever feel out of place! Students wear all different types of clothing to class. You see everything from sweatpants to dresses. UT students are from everywhere! There is not one paticular location that the bulk of students are from.

I have heard that UTK is a party school with drunks as students, i have heard that UTK is trashy and dirty.

The Greek Life is very popular on UT's campus. Im involved in Delta Zeta and i love it! I have made my very best friends that way! Students for the mot part will go off and leave their door inlock, where i live this is true anyways. If you are awake at 2 a.m on a Tuesday, its moe than likely because you are studying your brains out!! UT is a bog party school, but at the same time we get our work done! You will find people partying just about any night of the week. Knoxville is a big city, so if a saturday night you don't want to drink there is tons of things to do!

In some classes profressors will know your name, but alot of times they wont unless you go up and get to know them yourselve, by going to office hours and etc. UT is a very hard academic school and students do have to spend alot of time studying!!! Class participation is common in almost every class that you will take. UT is a very competitive acedimic school, anyone can tell that just by looking at the admissions requirements.

The best thing about UT is the school spirit and pride! We bleed ORANGE! And this makes UT stand out and be distinct. I think that UT is a good size for me. I dont think I am intimidated by being in a big school. UT is definitly in a college town, seeing as how we have the "strip". Most of my time spent on campus is at the HPER building because that is where all my Exercise Science classes are. A big controversy that is going on is that the grading scale is changing to a minus scale which will lower students GPAs. The biggest complaints from students is that there is not enough parking spots for the number of students that attend this university. Due to this problem, UT Police gives outrageous amounts of parking tickets when it is inevitable to have to park in a wrong permit area.

I have little experience with other racial, religious,etc groups on campus. Most students wear jeans and tshirts to class or work out clothing. Most students are probably from Tennessee because of the lottery scholarships.

I think some stereotypes about UT is when it comes to football season. Tennessee fans come across very rude and often times redneck. I think also that our student body dresses more casual during football season than other SEC schools.

I unfortunately think that these stereotypes are accurate.

My major is Exercise Science. The class sizes are small in my major, around 30. Teachers learn your names in classes that small. In my general education classes teachers never knew my name because they had over 100 students usually. Class participation is common in certain classes but not all. I feel that the education UT provides is geared towards getting a job.

I am involved in Greek Life. I am part of Delta Zeta sorority. I lived in the dorms freshman and sophomore year and I always left my doors unlocked. Athletic events such as football and basketball are very popular but others ones are not so much. I met my closest friends through my sorority. If I am awake at 2 on a Tuesday night I am either studying or hanging out with my 5 roommates. People usually begin partying Thursday nights through Saturday nights. I prefer to go out on Fridays. Saturday nights my friends and I hang out and watch movies.

I think that one thing I will always remember about my UT college experience will definently be the football games, just game day in general. The entire university turns in to a tailgating wonderland and you get up really early in the morning even if it is a night game! A great experience just to be in the stadium!

THe best thing out the Student Body is that you can wear whatever you want to class. I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt or gym shorts. No one really cares what you look like, and the professors do not mind either. It is great!

I am a member of ZETA TAU ALPHA!! Give us a point please!!!!

NO!! They just think that we are from the South and that it automatically means that we are country-bumpkins!

I think that my favorite classes are my minor classes, Elementary Education. The professors know my name enough to be willing to write me a letter of recomendation for scholarships or jobs. My program is more like a community, doing all of our Spring Senior Year classes together and then embarking on our internship year together, a wonderful experience.

THe most popular groups on campus are definently the Greek Life organizations. They run the majority of the other campus activities and organizations.

That we are all country people. And that we marry our cousins.

Ariel

UTK is too large- there aren't enough dorms for the freshmen when they come in, but the advantage of the Hope Scholarship makes going to a state school too appealing to turn down for a lot of people. People generally react unfavorably when I tell them I go here, they think, probably correctly, that I'm too good for this place. Knoxville is definitely a college town. There's too much school spirit, I think, esp for orange.

I don't care for most of UT's student body. Most of them are from Tennessee. I feel like most of them are supposedly Christian and conservative, but in actuallity are wild at parties and like getting drunk.

UTK is super into football, the students aren't smart, everyone drinks to excess

I joined a sorority this semester, and I feel like a lot of girls are friendly, but I don't really get to go to all the social events cause I have a job. Some girls leave their doors open, but I don't, and I don't think the majority do. Football is extremely popular, but I don't know about other sports. I thing basketball is also a big deal. I don't know about the dating scene because I have a boyfriend. I get out of classes early in the afternoon, but I stay up till about 3 every night, watching TV or reading, but usually talking to my bf.

To a large extent, but obviously not always.

My professors know my name. My favorite classes are my German classes, though I feel that the other students aren't up to standards. I think the general education requirements are absurd for my major.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.