Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Gene

I love absolutely everything about UTK except for one thing that has a major influence in my life: nursing school. I am in pre-nursing right now and I am going to apply for nursing school soon, however, my chances of getting into the nursing school here are not as high as other places because UTK only takes about 100 people each year. With such a high demand for nurses, I would think UT would try to provide the chance for all who want to become a nurse, especially since UT is such a large school. Also, since UTK only accepts students during one semester, I have had to make so many different rearrangements in order to please UTK's standards. Because of the disadvantages of the nursing program at UTK I have decided to go elsewhere. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything else major about UT except for the fact that we need more parking and that we need to make the area safer. I love the atmosphere here all throughout the year and am very appreciative of the fact that I have been able to attend UTK.

It is hard to walk around campus or sit in class without noticing how diverse UTK is. However, it seems to me as if the Greek life stands out more to people. I myself am Greek so maybe that is why I notice this group, but the Greeks tend to stick out on campus. I really am not a judgmental person so I don't really take notice of people's background, but our campus is definitely one of the most cultural campuses I have been to.

i think I have said everything I need to say!

The only stereotype I have ever heard about UTK and UTK students is that we are all alcoholics that start drinking at 8 in the morning on the weekends...and every other day of the week for that matter.

I know in one of my previous answers I stated that a majority of students at UTK live in non-stop party mode, but even they find time to study. Studying is essential at UTK if you are wanting to maintain an acceptable GPA. I could walk into the library at any time of the day, any day of the week and have a hard time finding a spot to study...in quiet. Most of the people that I see in the library are people I saw the previous night stumbling back to their apartment after a late night out. Regardless of what most people think of the amount of studying that goes on here, it does happen and students are able to manage grades and their social life.

For the most part, I wouldn't say that was a false stereotype. UTK definitely has a lot of students that are habitual drinkers. On game days especially, UTK as a whole is an extremely drunken campus from 8 in the morning until about 2 in the morning of the next day. Whenever I have friends come visit from Ole Miss and Alabama, they can hardly keep up with the party scene here at UTK. However, most of those people are still able to get their work done and maintain high GPAs.

The dating scene at UTK is probably one of the most annoying things I have been around, especially within the Greek world. Sorority girls and fraternity guys are ALWAYS having conflicts about who is dating who, who just broke up with who, who hooked up with who etc. The Greeks are just in our own world and it seems as if people passed around among each other every week. Sometimes it just seems difficult to have a "normal" relationship with someone in the Greek system because you are undoubtedly going to piss quite a few people off whether you are doing something right or not.

Jenna

when i first came here i thought the school was huge but after going to my classes for the 1st week it became very small it was very easy to get use to. being in a sorority helped make friends and have a room mate that i became best friends with also made it easier. there is a lot of school pride which made it a lot of fun and it definitely is a college town. game days are the best time of the year here at UT.

religion is a very strong topic here at this university. many of the students attend church. there is also speakers who stand out on the walk way and preach about there religion. I this a student that is gay would feel out of place at this university because the religious speakers speak down about them. Many different types of student interact. many students go to class in running shorts and t-shirts or jeans and t shirts it is very casual. no one really dresses to impress here unless they have to if they are presenting in a class.

The University of Tennessee is a lot of fun and it gives you great opportunities. I have only been here one year and i have learned more then i have in my whole life. You learn alot living on your own.

Although there are a lot of greeks on campus i don't think one group is more popular then the other. I am involved in a sorority but i have many friends that aren't involved in sororities. I absolutely love it though. I encourage everyone to at least to go through rush to meet other girls. No students for the most part do not leave there dorms open once in a while u will see someone do it but i haven't really met that many people in my dorm. Many people do have boyfriends or girlfriends but there are a lot of kids that are just looking to have a good time so it doesn't really matter if u have a boyfriend or girlfriend. if i'm awake at 2 am on tuesday i'm usually studying. people usually go out on thursdays fridays and saturdays. those are the biggest nights to go out.

classes at this university are amazing. there are so many opportunities here it is unbelievable. My favorite class is my math 113. the this i like best about it is my teacher. she makes it very enjoyable. i am terrible at math and she has helped me start to like it. she does many hands on activities and explains the concepts very well. the most unique class i am enrolled in right now is bowling. I love it i have made a lot of friends in the class and it is a fun way to get college credit for an extra curricular activity. the education here is geared mostly for getting a job so you are prepared right out of college they give you many ways to get experience in the field you want to study.

Everyone is Greek Everyone is hick

Meredith

UTK overall is a very good school both academically and extracurricular wise. I think the biggest problem I faced while being here was the parking situation on campus and I feel that that is an issue that needs to be delt with. I think this is a complaint that many students have as well. I feel like the atmosphere here suits me well because I wanted to attend a fairly large school that had a college atmosphere.

Once I got into my major the classes were smaller so it gave the professors a better opportunity to know who you were. I feel that some of the classes that were required for my major were totally useless and I will definitely never use them for what my occupation is going to be.

Very preppy students, big party school, good athletics

Caitlin

One of the only things that could make UT better is smaller classes. Sometimes I do feel like just a number in classes as opposed to a student trying to learn. Some professors just don't make me feel like my teacher cares about my education. Most of my time on campus is in the dorm, the library, or the classrooms. Some classroom buildings are a tad bit dilapidated, but we always have construction efforts going on to improve the aesthetics of our campus. UTK has a HUGE amount of school pride. I really don't know of anyone who doesn't WANT to be here or go to every sporting event possible. The biggest controversy on campus is the security matter. It seems like the campus police are more concerned with underage drinking and breaking up parties than the actual safety of the students.

I don't think anyone is out of place at UT. There are many interest groups on campus, and a lot of them interact with one another. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are tensions between some groups of people that wear different clothes or whatever. You can't exactly escape those kinds of stereotypes. A lot of people know each other (kids from big cities/ schools in Memphis/Nashville/Knoxville) and a lot of them are from similar socio-economic backgrounds. Most I think are middle-to-upper-middle class. I think students generally get along, however, despite background, orientation, race, etc.

The education at UTK seems like it's geared towards getting a job more than actually learning. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing all the time. In my major classes, I actually want to learn since I am a Microbiology major and want to go to medical school. This program is very competitive. Sometimes, my 3.6/3.7 GPA doesn't feel competitive enough for the program. So, I study more, along with the other million people in the library! It's very difficult to find a seat in the Commons area of the library on weeknights, so I also go to a lot of study groups. I'll be doing a lot of this next semester with killer classes. I think I'll like organic chemistry though!

Not at all! I've leaned a lot here at UT...in CLASSES, not at parties. Given we DO make a big deal about our football and basketball teams, but who wouldn't? We have a national championship legacy in women's basketball! Anyone would be overly proud about that!

I guess an important group is the Greek group. Quite a few students on our campus are in fraternities or sororities. I myself am a Delta Zeta. I live on the sorority floor, and I am close enough to my sisters to leave my door open or unlocked. I've also made some of the best friends I've ever had here. I'm also in Alpha Epsilon Delta, a pre-medical honor society, and I volunteer. I also keep meaning to sign up for TeamVOLS, but I haven't made it to the UC this semester yet! Athletics are very popular on campus. We only missed one home football game and only a couple of my favorite sport, baseball! You don't HAVE to drink, but quite a few students do. My friends and I have fun even if we don't whether we go out to RT's or just hang out at another friend's apartment!

I've heard that we are just a HUGE party school and all we care about is football and basketball. Supposedly, our students only care about partying and getting drunk all the time. Oh, and we think we're better than other schools in Tennessee and the SEC.

Liz

-i love ut! -i love how every student is so different yet we form a common bond with our school spirit! -best thing about utk? the SPORTS! i love going to the free football and basketball games, and the occasional baseball games. -greek life at ut is amazing! im never bored!(the houses could be better tho!) -i think the size is just right...but thats just personal opinion -when people from my highschool find out i go to utk they are often like "but EVERYONE goes there", while this is true, ive had a completely new experience here, and almost never see my highschool friends. -on campus i spend some time at the library, some time at the cafeterias, and mostly in my dorm(that sounds kinda basic but its true) -college town? well sorta. knoxville has its city and activities but 37916 is its own little town. i almost never go off campus on the weekends. there is so much to do! why leave? take for instance auburn...boring! i would hate to have UT be in a college town like that...i like the option of going to the city, even though i rarely do! -utk's administration...is ehhh...less than perfect, but what major university isnt! -controversry...everyone loves a controversy...idn i live in hess so there is usually some kind of crime going on...although i dont hear about it til 5 days later ha. but something that has made me mad is utk housing. next year i have to live in the sorority apartments and the university made us sign a contract before giving us the final accurate price...BOO not okay -BIG ORANGE COUNTRY! helll yeah we have a lot of school pride! go UT! -unusual? maybe we should add more foliage...seriously our school is ugly...more trees please! -homecoming. love it -student complaints-not enough of the popular classes offered at good times...not enough parking spots, too many parking tickets, yucky food...i mean its college. duhh

-i think we are diverse. there is something for everyone -however, its important to be open to new experiences and ready to participate -students wear anything. i always wear shorts and a tshirt or sweatpants...no dressing up for me...waste of time -there are more than four tables at the dining hall actually...but i honestly dont pay attention to other people when im eating! -TENNESSEE! virginia, ohio, north carolina -middle working class families -yes...GO CONNECT! haha -im not sure, i think we have a mix of both political views -nope

gee i dont think you left anything out...loooong survey but i hope my answers helped in whatever this was for!!!

no! i love ut...and our academics are improving every year...i think we just get bad press...

-GREEK LIFE!!! -Delta Zeta sorority. i love it! i have alot of fun and have made some lifelong friends! -nope. not on my hall. people steal things -athletics are top! theater, i personally love but most people dont...guest speakers could be better -there are lots of hotttt boys at ut! but i have a bf so im not really looking! -i met my closest friends in my sorority and through their friends -eating gus's, guthries, jimmy johns...haha studying probably or watching a movie! -homecoming -alot! yayay its fun -important...we have alot of dedication to our philanthropies and really accomplish alot in the community! -last weekend was parents weekend for my sorority..we had a lunch and an auction to raise money for our philanthropy...friday night i went to a frat house band party with my friends...saturday night i watched a movie in my friends dorm with the girls... -saturday night with no alcohol...anything you want to! you dont need to drink to have fun! -off campus i work...shop...eat

-yes i know my professors name because its on my syllabus! -my favorite class this year has been my art 101 class...its hands on... -poli sci 102( and poli sci is my second major so this was a bummer) it was just SO boring and all he did was read of the slide show which was posted online, but attendance was part of our grade soooo we had to be there! -i study alot..but not too much! some of my friends never study but they do poorly -class participation is mandatory in some classes, so yes -students are very competitive with leadership roles in organizations -unique? not sure if ive had one yet -the art department is tricky and mean...there is not enought opportunity -i went to my teacher's art show last friday -i think the GEN ED needs to be GENERAL EDUCATION for everyone and it does not need to CHANGE between schools because this screws people that change their minds over -depends on what your major is...

-southern good ole boys -beautiful girls(so true) -not an academically great school

Adrian

I think the size if the university is just right for me, i think if it were any bigger it wouldn't feel like a home. When I tell people I go to UTK they respond with how beautiful the fall must be, and how much fun the football program must be. There is A LOT of school pride which is GREAT!

I feel as though the student body is very diverse and it is really great having a class with a diverse group of people and really getting to know them. Most UTK students are from Tennessee.

Some stereotypes about UTK would be that it is a party school, a football school, and not as academically challenging as other universities. Some stereotypes of UTK students is that those students involved in the greek life just party all the time and that they "buy" their friends.

Being an exercise science major with a minor in adolescent health with the intention of going to Medical School, i feel as though the core classes for Medical School like Organic Chemistry the teacher i had, Jim Green, was an awsome teacher and i visited him quite often during his office hours. He was very willing to help me and anyone else. When i first arrives at UTK i was not pleased with the academic major choices for the Pre-Med program. I wanted to major in biology but UTK does not offer just that major and BCMB and microbiology are not the area i want to have a degree in.

Although UTK may be BIG into football we are still very focused on academincs. Greek life people may be paying to be in a sorority or fraternity but we are not "buying" our friends.

Natalie

I love the atmosphere of the UT campus, expecially on game days. The campus itself is very pretty, while some of the buildings are out-dated. Just recently people have began to wonder if they're safe or not on campus. I think an increased awareness and increased attention to these matters will fix them.

I think the student body of UT is pretty diverse. Large amounts of the UT campus are from the Memphis and Nashville area which has its advantages and disadvantages. Since Tennessee (especially Memphis) is a very culturally diverse place, many of the students come to UT which makes our campus more diverse.

Greek life is important to me since I'm in a sorority. However, if one choses not to go Greek, there are just as many opportunities for them to get involved. My closest friends all came through my sorority and I would highly encourage everyone to go Greek because it's a wonderful opportunity for people to get connected to people of similar backgrounds and to make lifelong friendships. And contrary to popular belief, greek life is not centered around drinking. My friends and I have so much fun together no matter where we go or what we do.

Since I am an architecture major most of my classes are smaller and more one on one. However, my gen ed classes are all very large and the professors don't usually know any of our names. I wish those classes were smaller because I often feel like the professor doesn't care about us. Also, I wish more was done to make sure we are getting a good education, without the main focus on our GPA.

there is a vast majority of kids that come from well off and conservative families

that we're all rich, snobby, preppy white kids

Suzanne

It is a huge school, but I am in a sorority, which makes it seem smaller. I come from a small town, so everyone is amazed by the fact I go here. I spend most of my time in my dorm room studying, or out somewhere with my sorority sisters. Knoxville is most defenitely a college town; i love it right now, but I would not want to live here after college. UT's administration is fair; I have talked to really nice people and really rude people, but I guess you'll have that everywhere. I believe we have more school pride than any other school there is. Our sports are always expected to dominate, because that's what we are known for. There is nothing like going to a UT football game. Rocky Top is played at least 20 times, but it never gets old! Overall, I wouldn't choose any other school to go to; i love it here!

I don't believe any student at UT should feel out of place. I see different kinds of people everyday and think nothing of it, although I must say, I think UT is predominantly caucasion students. I believe most of the white students come from more money if not granted scholarships, because they have to get in- and most of the non-white students come from lower-medium income, because I know of different-raced students who just get scholarships to come here based soley on their race, because UT wants diversity. Although UT is a diverse campus, most types/race usually stick together.

I would say the most popular organization on campus is Greek life, which I am involved in. I see everyone representing their letters; I know a good percentage of this campus is Greek. I met my closest friends through Delta Zeta. The athletic program here is amazing; I try to attend every game!

I usually try to introduce myself to my professors, so they will know me. They cut you more slack if they actually know your name. College is pretty hard. I don't study as much as I need to, and I'm sure a lot of students are like me. I am so busy with my sorority that sometimes I don't have time to study. All sorority events must be attended, unless you want to be fined. Managing studies and extra curricular activities is tough to do. Sometimes I go to office hours when I am desperate for help. I'm an undecided major, but gearing towards business.

yes, it is very sports-oriented...not so much southern- there is a lot of diversity.

It is a very sports-oriented school..... very country and southern.

Danielle

UTK is huge, but I absolutely wouldn't have it any other way. Being 3 hours from home a lot of people are shocked that I would go to school that far and love it so much but I do, and I hardly have gone back home at all this year. I spend almost all of my time on campus with my friends, whether I'm at the library or at an event or just sitting in my room, the great thing about being here is that you are always surrounded by people you want to be around! And the school pride here is ridiculous! Everyone loves Tennessee and being at UTK, and its great to be around people that all feel the same way as you do.

This is why I love UTK! There are so many different types of students and people here that it's impossible to not meet new people that you will have so much in common with. People come from everywhere with all different backgrounds and so many students here are actually interested in learning and knowing about what's going on in the world. I don't think I know anyone who would feel out of place at UTK.

There are always people that come here just for those reasons and try to live up to the stereotype, but overall it's not true at all. While there are so many opportunities here and you probably could go out and find something to do every night, not everyone is that irresponsible and a lot of people are here for school as their priority. There will always be that stereotypical person, but at UTK, there is such a diverse population that this is definetaly not true of all of Knoxville's students.

Classes vary, I've had some with around 700 people and some under 20. But I believe that a lot of people here are very studious, yet many don't always go to every class. Every professor I've had so far has also been very helpful and would go the extra mile if a student asked for extra help in a class. UTK also has some pretty strict academic requirements and I think that's very important to maintain.

I came to UTK to live with 3 completely random girls, none of us knew eachother. Now we are all best friends and 2 of my roommates are even living together again next year! I met some of my closest friends randomly as roommates or just in classes I had. And I am in a sorority, so of course, I have met tons of my great friends through Greek life. While there is only a small percentage of people at UTK that are actually Greek, the Greek life here is extremely prevelant and well known. I think it is the best way to meet new people that you will have a lot in common with if you're coming from somewhere where you don't know a lot of people here, or, if you're like me and you just wanted to meet new people in college! And as far as the party scene goes here, while drinking is extremely common just like it is on any other college campus, there are plenty of things to do without drinking and plenty of students here who do not drink very much or at all.

A lot of people think that UTK is just a huge party school and that their students party every night and go out every night of the week and drink all the time. Also UTK is known very well for its strong Greek life, and so there are always stereotypes that go along with what people typically think of a sorority or fraternity.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.