Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Courtney

I love the campus, but it is very spread out. The T is a great tool for transportation. I love the sports and the sports facilities. A lot of students are drawn in to UT just because of the huge and dedicated fan base. There are a lot of things to do in Knoxville as well. We are located in an awesome location. We are hours from the beach or the mountains.

Everyone is different here. I wouldn't classify the entire student body in one category. Some students are very academically driven while others love sports. THe greek life here is very appealing as well. CLubs here are not exclusive to just one type of person.

I think a lot of people think that Tennessee has a lot of hillbillies!

I like how the dorms are clubs. It is important to have that bond of people you live with.

The classes are fine. I have large and small classes. They prepare you for the real world and challenge your thinking.

NO! We have a very diverse campus.

Amy

I think UTK is the perfect school to go to! I love that it is so big, but at the same time I feel that its small within individual colleges. Knoxville is a great town too. Plenty of things to do and places to go and its not huge so you still have the small town feeling. Volunteer pride is like nothing i've ever experienced and i've truly become a fan for life.

The student body is very diverse. There are lots of rich people, but I don't think they qualify as a majority. I've met people of all backgrounds, with a variety of political and social views.

The art department is under appreciated here!!

A lot of people party, but at the same time the classes are tough and most people I know don't let the partying get out of control and make good grades.

I am an art major so I've become very close with a lot of my professors and plan to keep in touch with them after graduation. My classes are a lot of work, but I think most of it is teaching me valuable stuff that may actually be valid in my career one day.

I think many people are connected through the greek system, and that is how i met my best friends here at school. Football season is always a bonding time and most thursday friday and saturday nights are the party nights.

I would say people generally think of UTK as a party school, and don't believe that it is actually hard.

Jenny

The food at school is awesome! Especially the breakfast at Presidential. So many choice, so little time...

I think everyone here feels welcome and accepted. There is someone out there for everyone, it just takes time to find them.

I met my closest friends through my sorority, I am still friends with them today. Although I have friends from my old dorm that I still stay in touch with as well.

Not really! A good portion of school, but not everyone.

I wish I was graduating on time. I didn't get through portfolio review, so now I am a year behind. My parents now have to pay another years worth of out of state tuition...and I feel really bad about it!

Everyone is obsessed with football!

Andy

Coming from a small town where everyone knew everyone, I went through quite a culture shock to come to such a large school like UTK. Over the years though, I have come to realize that our campus is truely the smallest big school ever. Everyone seems to in someway or another be linked together, hallways are filled with friendly smiles and familiar faces. Beyond the welcoming atmosphere, the school pride which each and every student has is something that makes UTK so unique. We truely "bleed orange," with our sports teams becoming more recognized and winning major tournaments makes our school come together to support Big Orange Country.

Our student body is one which is drastically different as expected on any large campus. There are those who are Greek, there are those who are not Greek but you would suppose they would be, there are those "hippies" whom are the intellects and there are the athletes. Despite the difference though, you rarely see individuals be bluntly mean to others or automactically write people off; i feel like for the most part our school is very accepting and though you would think that, as many schools in the south, there would be linger traces of racism; I feel like for the most part there is none of that and that many students these days are open minded and accepting;

Without Delta Zeta I would not be an involved student, I would be just another name and face in the crowd. By joining DZ I became active in other organizations and know that there are always sisters in whatever event I am participating in to be there to join in the experience with me and support me in whatever I am doing. My sorority has become my support system, by backbone which empowers me to be a better person.

Many people think that because its a public Tennessee school that the education and academic level are lower than other schools.

When I was not in Greek life I found it hard to become involved in and around campus, there are always posters up adverstising various events but it was not until I joined Delta Zeta did I really begin to become aware of happenings on campus and the possibilities to become involved in the school and community.

Professors at UT, especially as you get into your major classes, are much more hands on and easily accessable. Currently enrolled in upperclassmen classes, professors are much more eager to have small discussions and are eager to get students excited about thier class. In general education classes it is harder to get noticed and easy to slip under the radar because teachers have such large classes and you are just another number. Though the older you get, the smaller the classes become and the more intellectually stimulating the classes become.

This of course is very false. I have met some of the most intelligent and motivated people at UTK.

Alex

UTK is a campus that seems just right for me. There are days when I am walking around where I see so many people I know, and other days when I see no one. I like it this way because it's not too small where you see and know everyone, but it's not too big that you walk around feeling lost because you see no familiar faces. Knoxville, its self is not such a college town, but the strip close to the campus for sure is. It has a lot of bars and places where the students can go and hang out. Many student housing buildings are available off campus. To me, the surrounding parts of the campus are definitely catered toward the college students, but the outskirts of Knoxville are nicer, more established older people where life is normal. The school pride at UTK is wonderful. Just about every single car you see around campus has a UT sticker on it. Support is a big thing on big college campuses and I think UTK definitely gets its' support from the students.

There seem to be a mix of the student body here at UTK. There are many different races, religious groups, and just about every group that you want to get in, you would be able to find something. I see different types of students interact all the time. It is easy to do this in classes when you have to do groups. I find that students from all over the world come to this university. There is a guy from Germany in one of my classes! Financial backgrounds are also very diverse amoung the students. Some receive a lot of scholarships to come here, while others pay in full with no problem. It is expensive coming up here, with housing and everything, but it can be done with help if needed i am sure.

That sorority and fraternity students live inside a "bubble" and do not know what the real world is like. That they are considered "rich," "stuck up" and think they are "better" than the average student at UT. UT is a big party school. We are just into sports.

I am involved with Delta Zeta sorority and am so glad to be a part of it. We focus on sisterhood and my older sister is actually a senior in Delta Zeta and it is neat to get to share a sorority sisterhood with her, as well as her jsut being my actual sister. I always lock my dorm, just because I do not want to take that chance, but I feel comfortable with leaving it open if I needed to. Athletic events are really popular, at least among the students that I hang out with. If I am awake at 2am on Tuesday, then I am studying for a test the next day. It seems that if you ever want to find a party at UT, then it won't be a problem, but there are a lot of weekend that I do not even do anything, maybe because I have important things coming up or just am tired from the hard week of school. Last weekend my parents and boyfriend were here visiting and my sorority had parents weekend. Friday night was Carnicus that I participated in, Saturday I had parents lunch, then that night I watched a movie. Studied all day Sunday. You can hang with friends, go shopping, bowling, see a movie, or just chill on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking.

Some classes at UT are very large, while some are very small. The small classes teachers most always know your name, and if you make the professors in the large classes aware of who you are, by visiting their office hours, then they also will remember your name. My favorite class is my Retail 210 class because it is my first class that is part of my major. Students are very competitive here, probably because this school has a lot of very competitive programs. UTK's academic requirements are hard, but I feel they are accurate.

No. Just because I am in a sorority does not mean that I do not know what the real world is about. It just means that I was coming to a big school and wanted to get involved with a smaller group to meet people and do something other than jsut school. And, just because sports are a big thing at our school, when you look around, more people do not care about it than do.

Alex

I love attending the University of Tennessee. Many people may argue this campus is too large, but that is the main reason I chose to come here. I wanted to meet completely knew people. This university has opened up so many doors for me because of the numerous opportunities it offers. Most of our school pride, comes through our athletics. I have always heard the phrase, "my blood runs orange" but now I truely understand it. No words can describe the feeling one gets on a football game day when the team runs through the T. Or witnessing our once forgettable basketball team beat Memphis in regular season to be come number one in the country.

I would encourage anyone who is coming to Tennessee to become involved in some type of extra curricular activities. This campus is so large, students need a group: whether that be a fraternity/sorority, athletic/intramural team, religous group, ect.. If one is not involved and staying busy, it is so easy to get lost in the shuffle of things. You cannot study all the time, and everyone needs a group of friends to keep them active and busy over campus so they don't get homesick.

I feel UT has offered me a great education. The only problem I have run in to is having several foreign teachers in my upper level academic courses. Those classes are difficult enough, but then adding on a language barrier between you and your teacher makes it even tougher.

No. I feel we do have a very diverse campus. I feel a certain percentage of students party often, but a mass majority of students realize why they are here and make education their main priority.

Red Necks We party and drink a lot

I really feel like there are a lot of places I can get help at UT. Whether it be free tutoring in the chem lab, the writing center for help on papers, or connections through my sorority.

I personally feel like a part of the student body, because I got involved with the greek community and a couple other organizations and campus ministries. I feel like it would be easy to feel "out of the loop" at such a large university.

My favorite class at UT so far has been psychology 110 with Laura Widman. She was so thorough and religiously used blackboard, which is always a plus. I really dislike it when teachers do not use blackboard. For the most part I have been quite satisfied with all of my teachers and professors. Of course not all of them do everything the way I would like, but thats just life. I feel like all of my teachers have been willing to help me or make exceptions at some points, and if I didn't experience a situation like this with some of them I feel like they would have been easy to work with and talk to if the situation arose. My roommate on the other hand has had terrible luck with professors. They have been outrageous with some of their assignments and requirements for the course. Most of her teachers have not offered adequate help either. Therefore, she is suffering in some of the classes I excelled in with ease. This compairison shows the leinience the professors have that I feel is unfair

I feel like athletic events are the center for a lot of social events. I also enjoy my sororities mixers and date parties.

No, I've actually met a lot of people that don't

Jordan

I love UTK in the fall, because we have great tailgating and awesome football games. However, I do feel that UTK is a little too big, it can be very over whelming especially when you come from a smal high school. When I tell people I go to UTK they seem very intergetic and usually will tell me thats a hard school to get into. I actually spend most of my time in my dorm room, and I think Knoxville is a great college town. I would say we have some of the best school pride throughout the SEC. One complaint I always hear and is one of mine as well is that there is no parking and some areas of campus are not safe.

I really havent seen any problems with racial or religious groups on campus. It just seems you find your group to be friends with and thats who your with most of the time. Most girls wear sweat pants and t-shirts and the guys usually just wear polos and jeans or khakis

I love UTK and I couldnt see myself at any other school

We are all really smart since we were accepted into UTK

My first semester here I really didnt try to get to know the professor or allow the professor to know me. My first semester in college my grades were not good at all, but I just felt really over whelmed and I didnt try hard enough to receive good grades. My second semester I was able to do a 360. I made contact with my professors, and I was able to see that they really care if I'm understanding the material and will really help with problems. I think UTK has a great academic requirement status. Class participation is very common and usually asked by the professor. My most unique class I have taken here so far is my english class on terrorism. My major is in enterprise managment with a minor in retail and consumer sciences

There are a ton of clubs and activities to join at UTK. I am apart of delta zeta sorority but I really havent had much time to become apart of anything else. Im hoping my sophomore year i can become more involved in other things

ali

our school is very spirited when it comes to football and basketball. gamedays are awesome. i feel that the size of the school is just right despite all the hills.

their are numerous groups on campus. i think that utk is very diverse so many students could find a group to belong to. most students wear t shits to class anything to be comfortable.

most professors do not know the names of their students. i think that psychology classes at utk are very interesting. class participation is only common in a few classes. most students do not spend time with their professors outside of class.

for some students yes but i will say that utk parties alot more than other universities

The greek life on campus is huge. i'm involved in a sorority. i met my closest friends thru my sorority and by goin to parties a frat houses. The average student parties at least 3 times a week.

The best tihng about UTK-FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL games! There is nothing like Neyland Stadium or Thompson Boling Arena on a game day. Orange, LOTS of school spirit, LOTS of fun. One thing I'd change is parking! People react when I tell them that I go to UTK by being impressed. I spend most of my time with friends in dorms, or apartments. I feel that Knoxville is enough of a city by itself that it is not defined as a "college town." THERE IS LOTS OF SCHOOL PRIDE!

There is a large greek/rich/white/upper class population at UT. But, being a LARGE state university, you have every type of student and every type of clique/crowd: Ghetto, bible beaters, LGBT, conservative, liberal, geeky, and normal!

Athletic events, theater/cultural events, greek life, hanging out at apartment parties, the fort, bars/clubs on the strip

Lots of lecture classes with 100-200 plus students. But for English and Foreign Langage the class size is smaller. I study every day. Many teachres are willing to help you if you ask.

yes there is a large group of those stereotypes

preppy, rich, white, southern, partiers

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.