Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Brittney

I think the size of the school is just right. I have never felt like that I dont have a name on campus. I have made great relationships with my professors you just have to take the time. There is a lot of school pride here and that is one thing that I love! The only thing I would change is the parking situation.

It is very diverse here. I thought since I am from out of state that it would be hard for me to make friends but I have made friendships that will last forever. Most people at UT are from TN but there are a lot of out of state students. Students here are politically aware and they are predominantly right wing.

Yes I always take time to get to know my professors. It is competitive here just as any school. People are always studying and trying to be in the top of the class. I hate that you have to take so many pre-reqs that really do not pertain to your major but I guess thats part of being well rounded.

Greek life is a big thing on campus. One of the hardest organizations to be in is SAA. It is very competitive to get into. This group works with the president and helps with events. The football games are by far the most popular thing although mens basketball has done well. Most of my close friends are girls that I have met through my sororities and working with panhellenic.

UTK: All the school cares about it football UTK Students: Southern rednecks

Abby

Its a fun place with a lot of people. Sports are a huge part of social life, and there is a lot of extracurricular things to be involved it. You have to pretty much TRY to not be involved in something.

Student body is extremely diverse. I dont think anybody could feel out of place at UT. Ive seen everything from emo kids to frat stars.

Whoever said classes were easy at UTK lied. They are actually pretty tough, even the freshman general ed classes.

GREEK LIFE!!! It helps you meet SO many new people. I recommend it for almost everyone. Also, there is SGA, SAA, and other organizations. I met my closest friends through my sorority though.

Brooke

It is very diverse, which is good. Sometimes I feel lost because there are so many people and Iwish it was smaller. When people hear that I go to UT they tell me it's a good school and they bet that I have fun. I spend most of my time in my dorm i guess..There is tons of school pride, everyone is proud to be a volunteer.

There are not many races besides white, black, and asian here, so any other race would feel out of place. I interact with different types of students. Most students are from TN and if not they are from the south. Moat people are also on the upper class of society.

Most popular groups are the Greek Community. My sorority is the best decision I have ever made, they are all my sisters and I love them. We participate in many community service activities and social events together. I leave my door open, but many people do not. I met my closest friends through my sorority. If I am awake late I am on the computer, watching TV, or talking to my boyfriend. People party very often, at least thursday through saturday.

sometimes the party, but you have to be smart to get in here.

Most classes are big so most professors dont know my name, but in the smaller classes they do. To keep good grades you have to study often. Students are very competitive.

Alexandra

Best thing about UTK: School pride and traditions One thing I'd change: More parking Size: Just right, it might seem really big, but its really just a small community. I see at least 15 people I know every day walking to class. Reaction to UTK: impressed College town: for sure Opinion of UTK's administration: Money hungry-they don't really take into account what is best for the students, only what's going to make them richer Biggest controversy on campus: the fact that not only are they charging us an activities fee in our dues, but also football games will cost us money beginning fall 2008 School pride: TONS! anywhere you go the walls are painted orange and white Most frequent student complaints: the fact that UTPD are more worried about issuing parking and underage unsumption citations than they are actual crime around campus.

I am in a sorority and we work a lot with many other groups on campus. Students who are really anti-social may feel out of place here. We are a big community and you're never going to be known if you don't get out and meet people. Most students wear t-shirts and jeans/athletic shorts to class. You're pretty much going to get made fun of if you dress up for class. Most UTK students are from Knoxville, Memphis, or out of state. The most prevalent financial back grounds are rich. I'm not saying that you'll be shunned if you're not wealthy, but you might feel somewhat out of place. Students don't really talk about how much we're going to make one day, we just dream about it when the classes get us down.

nope, pretty much covered it all

THe most popular groups are definitely Greeks. I'm in a sorority, we do tons of philanthropic events, socials, and keep UTK traditions alive. Athletic events are pretty popular: Can you say, it's football time in tennessee?! Dating scene: Crazy! I actually met my boyfriend in Chemistry class I met my closest friends thru my sorority People party pretty often around here. THere is always something going on. Traditions every year include Torch Night, Homecoming, Lip Sync, Carnicus, All-Sing, Boxing Tournament, and the list goes on! Last weekend I stayed in and watched basketball b/c I had pneumonia. You can do anything without drinking. You would actually be surprised at the number of people that DON'T drink-it's A LOT! THere is plenty of stuff to do off campus-Knoxville Ice Bears Games, camping in Gatlinburg, ice skating, shopping

That we are a party school. Honestly, we don't party more than any other college. We work and study just as hard as we party.

No, there is a lot more to UTK that just partying. There is awesome school pride and we have many intelligent students who study a lot!

Professors know my name in my smaller classes, but in lectures they'll only know your face unless you put yourself out there and frequenty go to their office hours Favorite class: math least favorite: communications studies Students study a LOT Most unique class: History of Rock and Roll

Kathleen

the best thing about UT is the football!!

the best thing about UT is the football!!

everyone is usually friendly everywhere you go

I know all my professors names and i enjoy most classes and i am in honor societies

the activities and social life are great! i love my sorority and everything about it! we are involved in so many different things!

Jess

The Greek system at UT is one of its strong suits. As well as sports, of course. However, getting good football tickets is awful, and they're cutting down on the number of student tickets. Parking ios horrendous, they tell you up front they're is not enough parking for every student yet they sell anyone a parking pass. Most of our time spent on campus is in the Greek dorms, fraternity park, the Strip, or at TRECS (our physical fitness facility). Our administration appearsto be very hands off. Ask 3 students if they know who the President is and maybe 1 would answer correctly. Teachers in teh Math and English department are a joke, as well as certain sciences. Only 20% of my freshman chemistry class ( 300+) passed. You really have to check around and find out who is the best in their department or youre pretty mcuh doomed.

UTK is farely divided. They have campus tours and then special African American tours. Dorms are segregated and campus life is generally segregated. They say anyone can visit the Black Cultural Center, but I dare any caucasian to walk in and be excepted. Fraternities are fairly racist as well. Greek life dominates but I love it. We have a very active SGA I am a part of. UTK also has many career based societies as well as majo based groups. To be Greek you must have some form of money as all greeks on campus dress very "fratty" and cost quite a bit of money. However, not as "fratty" as say Ole Miss or Alabama. Most Greek students lean right, while non-Greeks seem to lean left/libertarian. A student who has no ineterest in Greek life or sports would probably feel out of place unless they were enrolled in the honors program. Most students that go to UTK seem to be from Knoxville, Nashville(and surrounding cities), and Memphis respectively. Although many students dress preppy they do so by wearing croakies and greek life shirts, not necessarily polos and skirts, however it is not uncommon to see Polo button downs and Polos all over campus.

hicks, only obssessed with football, poor academic cirriculum, everyone's in Greek life

Professors are not eager to help students outside of class. Theyre required to keep office hours but many students do not use them. It feels as though all of your Freshmen courses are taught by TA's or GA's. You have to dig to find good professors but theyre out there. UTK does offer an Honors Program. UTK is known for "The Big Orange Screw", they wil tell you on your tour that you more than likely will not graduate in 4 years, in fact most don't graduate for 6 years. Freshmen are ill advised and very rarely are able to take all the classes required. And forget about changing your major.

no, they're are very challenging course, I chose UTK because I found classes just as difficult as those at Vanderbilt University only with scholarship money given. I'm a greek so I'm slightly biased, but yes, if you're not a Greek you pretty much go unnoticed

The Strip and Old City are pretty much the only places to go to at night. This is where a sororotiy comes in handy because they have mixers and date parties. Greek life is very important. Many fraternities have band parties on the weekends. Alcohol seems very prevelant however, I don't drink and am heavily involved in my sorority as well as liking to party. People hang out all over campus at all hours of the day. The Commons is a prevelant place for students to attempt to study located in our massive library.

Laura

*One of the best things about UTK is how it's so big! I love the big campus! There's always a ton of new people to meet and new places to go. *I would change how expensive it is to buy food on campus - it's overpriced and not that great. Oh and the parking tickets are ridiculous, I got one once for being there for seven minutes... a little unfair I think. *When I tell people I go to UTK, they're like "Oh, big party school, huh???"

*I feel like the student body is probably pretty diverse, but I seem to be surrounded by a lot of people who are very similar. * I think foreign students would feel inferior here. *Most students are from Tennessee - mainly Nashville & Memphis.

Big Party-ers. Country. Too much orange.

Greek life is definitely a huge thing here. I am involved with Delta Zeta and I love it. It's one of the best decisions I have made about my college life. I have met a ton of people and have had a bunch of great experiences by being involved with such a supportive organization.

*I really like my classes here actually. The majority of the professors I have had here have been pretty great. They're pretty laid back and really seem to care about student involvement. However, I have had a couple teachers who seem... a bit worthless and clueless about student interaction, but for the most part... I like my teachers. *I know most of my professors names - mainly because my classes are pretty small. * I think that students study a lot here, at least.. I feel like I'm always studying... haha. *The most unique class I have taken is probably either ice skating or stress management... totally random, but I love those classes.

KJ

i love the football games and tailgating and school spirit. it is the ultimate college town and has lots to offer

the fan base is awesome. lots of school spirit

football and basketball games are popular. our the fraterenities and sororities are a big part of the social scene

i love my major. most of my classes are very interesting. the teachers are usually very sociable and personable

Paige

The best thing about UTK is the FOOTBALL! One thing I would change would be the parking situation- it sucks! My school is just right! People react that it's a huge school where there is a lot of partying. I spend most of my time on campus either in my dorm room or in the library.

OUr school is a very diverse student population. There are many programs for all students no matter what origin or background. We are a very accepting university. Most students wear nice clothes to class...mostly jeans and tees or even polos and khakis.

That we are hicks who party too much

Some professors know my name- it depends on whether the class is small enough to know them. My favorite class this semester is British Literature 202, Romantics through Modernists. My least favorite class is Math 119, it was pointless and had too much homework with the tests not even reflecting what we learned in class.

The most popular groups on campus are sororities and fraternities, even though there are many groups that include sports teams and interest clubs. Most students end up leaving their doors open after a couple of months of being here because they feel so comfortable with their neighbors and RA's.

Lee

perfect size - FOOTBALL is the best - amazing school spirit - definitely a college town - greek life could be better

mostly conservative southerners

that they are really southern and redneck

love child & family studies classes - advising is awful

greek life is important - the strip

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.