Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

I haven't not seen many discrimination acts on campus and i feel that is something that you should be able to take pride in on your campus. UTK is very diverse and that probably helps with the discrimination aspect. I dont think that anyone who came to UT could feel out of place there are so many organizations that they would be able to find a place where they fit in.

I would say that the biggest stereotype about UTK is that it is a party school and that everyone who goes here just wants to get drunk all the time.

I mean of course some people are that way but i dont feel that enough people feel that way to make it acceptable to generalize the entire UTK campus

I feel that the professors at UTK genuinely care about helping you to succeed. They always allow time for questions at the end of class and they have times where you can meet with them on a regular basis. I feel that studying is something that takes different amounts of time for different people, but if you are truly dedicated to making good grades then you will study until you feel comfortable with the material.

the most popular sports on campus to watch would probably be football and men's basketball. there are so many traditions that are surrounding the campus that is very easy to be overwhelmed by everything that's going on. The students in the regular dorms do not leave there doors open, but the sorority dorms however do leave theirs open.

taylor

I love the size of UT, it is my perfect college, i cannot picture myself anywhere else. It is truely a college town. Everyone has so much pride in their school it is unreal.

Everyone here is so nice, and willing to help you out whenever needed. There tends to be alot of crime on campus though. It seems almost everyone here is from TN, and they have that in common.

Delta Zeta really helps my social life, it has helped me meet so many new people.

The professors are alot different than the teachers in high school. They don't take the time to get to know you, or care about you as much as high school. There is so much more responsibility placed on the student it's almost overwhelming.

Chelsey

I love UTK! I think that it's the best size school because I always end up meeting someone new everyday. The best part of it is that it's the quintessential college town. It seems all of Knoxville revolves around the university which is why there is so much school spirit on campus. I spend most of my time right now in the sorority dorms, the library, the trecs, or just hanging out on the strip. I personally don't have any major problems with the administration at UT. I feel that the biggest controversy has to be with the search for a new president. The experiences that I will always remember will most likely be UT football games, and being with my sorority.

I feel that the UTK student body is so diverse that there is definitely a place for everyone. It seems that the various types of students are definitely segregated though.

I think that the stereotypes are more true than not.

I feel that the academic curriculum at UTK has been increasingly harder lately. I know that the administration is trying to make the school much more competitive, so in return they have to make the work harder. I am having to spend much more time studying than I have been. I feel that many students are competitive with academics because there are so many students here, you need to do well to stand out.

I think that the most popular organization are Greek organizations and athletic teams. Many students seem very open about meeting new people for the most part. Dating seems very popular on campus.

A very southern school with all the students being the same type of student. The students are only concerned with football and partying.

Kelsey

Many people think that UTK is too big to attend. When you first get here it does seem that way. But it only takes about two weeks and you figure out your way around and where everything is and its not that big at all. And most people lilke myself join a group or activity such as Greek or Student Council which gives them a real place just like any other school.

UTK student body is very broad and unique. There are all sorts of students which is the way it should be.

some stereotypes are that they have alot of school spirit and put down other schools

Academics at UTK are not easy. They require alot of studying and staying on top of your work. But the programs are wonderful and most of teachers are easy to work with.

The activites are never ending. There is always something going on at every corner.

Robin

The best thing about UTK is that the opportunties here are endless. I feel as though I am not restricted. One thing I would change is the lay out of the campus. The campus sites and buildings needed to be renovated. (which is in process) I think the student body is just right. I love to tell people I attend the University of Tennessee, I am proud to be a Volunteer! I love our schools traditions. I spend most of my time in a book studying. I believe there is a lot of school pride...I mean who else would just wear bright orange around? I will never forget moving into the dorms and realizing how small they were. I loved my roomate and the class rooms in the auditorium were overwhelming at first, but I began to enjoy them as I made new friends.

A student that is close minded and not sociable would have a hard time at UT. The student body is mostly friendly and willing to lend a hand. Since UT does have a larger student body, if you ever wanted to establish yourself with an organization or anything, you would have to make yourself known.

That we are VOLUNTEERS :)! UTK is a party school.

As with the organization I am involved with, I am surrounded by a lot of volunteers. Yet for the majority of students I don't think this is so true. Again, depending on who you associate with, depends on the atmosphere. But with any college there will be a party

I don't think most students study as much as they should. Esp. freshman. I began to notice those in my class that would not show up to lecture. I would make it a point to meet with my teacher at least once a semester. I think it is essential to establish that relationship. The most unique class I have taken thus far has been Social Ballroom Dancing.

I think Greek life is pretty big on this campus. Also any sports club or sports event is popular on this campus.

Brittney

Its big but everyone seems to enjoy it. We are big on football, but are increasing becoming more known for academics. I think administration may be a little too political but they still do an outstanding job. Most students have alot of school spirit.

There is a very divers group of students at utk. I have even met many international students. I dont think anyone would feel out of place because there is something for everyone.

I think greek like is very important and there are alot of students who participate in greek events even if they are not in a fraternity or sorority.

The library is always packed so I know students care about their grades. I have noticed there are very intellectual conversations between students in the classroom and some what of a competiveness when it comes to grades.

Carson

Since UTK is so big, when I answer that I go here, questions immediately follow if I am active within the Greek community; Greeks are really big here, but I feel that a negative stereotype accompanies that notion and it is difficult to be associated with that at times. Overall administration at UTK is not that great, but it depends on the department a student declares his or her major. The Exercise Science department has a great group of faculty members and is an exception in my eyes. The biggest recent controversy/student complaints is campus safety; the UTPD focuses its attention on matters that should come secondary when looking to perserve safety. Several students have been robbed/injured this year on the Fort. School pride is AWESOME!! I love the ROCK, which UT is trying to get rid of...what! One experience I will always remember: Being apart of Torch Night my freshman year :) The strip needs to be cleaned up; it makes our university look trashier than it actually is. I spend most of my time in the library when on campus...I study ALOT!

All students are welcomed; most of us where t-shirts and jeans--naturally there are cliques though. UTK has students from everywhere...are we politically aware?? Yes.

I can't believe I'm graduating in May 2009...but it is worth it; encourage students to push themselves because UT definitely won't.

The Greek community is huge on UT's campus--I am in a sorority (AOII) and am very involved and have held several different positions...I live in a sorority dorms and doors remain unlocked until we go to sleep. Dating Scene...it differs for everyone right--I have found myself dating within the Greek community. 2am on a Tuesday...studying. We have a good time...starting Thursday :) Frats/Sororities, important? You can have just as good of a time if you choose not to do one...but it's a family and you will never regret it. Last weekend-Carnicus!!! haha you wouldn't understand :) Saturday night, no drinking? Anything, go out and don't drink...no one is making you. Off campus--groceries, movies, shop for clothes and my pet, Gizzmo, eat dinner (Mexican) visit friends.

Students are appreciative of our orange and white colors and we like to have a good time, but come to UT to get an education, granted not all departments guide their students as well as they should. It is not easy to get into UT...not at all.

I make it a point to get to know my professors because my classes are rather small since I have declared a major within a small department. I love anatomy and exercise physiology classes...classes dealing directly with my major. I hate English courses past 101 and 102. Students study however much they need to, I guess...for me that is everyday. Class participation is not common, but intellectual conversations outside of class are. Students might be competitive, but my friends help each other out. Unique class: I took yoga once with some football players-that was funny! My major is awesome :) It focuses on health and human performance. It looks at exercise recommendations and what needs to be done to prevent the onset of disease--I want to become a physical therapist! Academic requirements are so, so...education is geared to getting a job and learning.

UTK is a party school and that anyone can get in as incoming Freshman or transfer student.

Meghann

I like UTK because of all of the different extracurricular activities which you can participate in. I personally do not think it is too big of a school; at first it seems really big, but once you start getting involved in different activities, it definitely becomes a lot smaller. I love the whole "college town" town atmosphere that surrounds UTK and the Strip, which is where everyone hangs out. Also, fall semester is the best because of football season and all the different things that go on with UT football.

I think UTK's student body is very diverse. Most students wear jeans and t-shirts to class. No one dresses up really, even though occasionally you will see some girls dress up. Freshman year is when the girls dress up the most I would say for the first couple of weeks of class. Most UTK students are from Tennessee, and I would say the two main cities that UTK students are from are Memphis and Knoxville. I would say that most people are from middle to upper class financial backgrounds.

I am involved in Delta Zeta sorority.

I think coming into UTK, a lot of people think that it is a big party school.

I would say the most popular groups on campus are the fraternities and sororities. I am involved with Delta Zeta, and I love being it. Coming into UTK as a freshman, it made me feel really at home and find a close group of friends. I don't think that in many dorms people live their dorm rooms open, but I know when we lived on the sorority floor, we all left our doors open and I never locked mine really. Dating in college isn't great. I haven't found a good guy yet. Maybe once I graduate and get out of college and away from the party scene things will change. Football is the biggest tradition that I think UT has. On the weekends, I either go to a party, or now that I'm 21 I will go to the bars a lot more often now. I think fraternities and sororities are pretty important here at UT. On a Saturday night if people aren't at a party or at the bars drinking, I would say they are probably hanging out with their boyfriend/girlfriend, or hanging out with other friends and going to see a movie or just chilling in the dorm room or their apartment. You could also go see a movie if you don't want to drink on the weekends. There is also shopping and going out to eat for other options.

Since UT is such a large school, you definitely will have larger classes than a smaller school would, but I have had classes as large as a couple hundred of students, and then I have also had classes where there are 20-30 people at most in the classroom at a time. I like the smaller classroom size better because it is easier to participate in. I would say some students are more competitive than others in different aspects; some students care about school and getting a good degree, and then there are others that are there to get a degree, but just "barely make it by."

I would say it can and can't be accurate. I won't say that people don't party because there definitely are plenty of people that do, but out the 30,000 people that go here there are plenty of people that also do not party.

Bethany

I love UT. I like it being a big school and would not like a small one. People are usually somewhat impressed when I tell them I go to UT because it's a big SEC school. I live off campus so when I am there I usually spend my time either in class, the library or the UC. I haven't had much interaction with the main administration at UT, but instead I've dealt with the College of Business Admin. They are very accomodating to work with and it's been a good experience. And if I could change something about UT, I'd definently add more student parking. No matter what anyone says, there is simply not enough.

I really don't interact with other groups of people on campus. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at UT b/c there seems to be a group for everyone. I usually see people in t-shirts and/or the polo/preppy look. I would say most students are from Tennessee, but there's definently alot from other places.

I was told to type "Delta Zeta" in this caption.

I don't have much interactiong with my professors outside of class. That is my own choice, their help is there if I need it. I would say students are competitive and study alot. I feel like academic requirements are fair. I major in Marketing and Finance and I have had a great experience with the business department. From talking to people in other majors, I think the business college is one of the most helpful and interactive with its students.

I would say the most popular groups on campus are Greek organizations and athletes. It seems like everyone I meet is involved in some form of these two organizations. No one left their doors open in South Carrick when I lived there. However on my sorority floor in Greve we always did. Athletic events are probably the most popular events on campus. As far as the "dating scene" goes, I've come to the conclusion that college guys suck so I've pretty much given up on dating in college. I met my closest friends through my sorority and classes. If I am actually still awake at 2am, it would be because I am cramming for an exam. I would also say people party pretty regularly at UT. Last weekend I went to a few parties and bars on the strip. As far as other activities go, Knoxville has things like movies, restuarants, shopping, etc.

People I know at places like Vanderbilt see us as rednecks.

Andy

UT is a great school and I have really enjoyed all my time here. I have met many great people. One thing I like about UT is there is ALWAYS something to do. No matter what you want to get involved in, you can find it here. This applys to extracurricular activities as well as classes. If you come here and are not sure what you wanna do, they have classes for just about every catigory you can think of. This leads me to another topic... advising. It is known as the "big orange screw". I was originally a nursing student, I did not get in when I applied for nursing school. No one told me if I wanted to apply to other schools that every school requires different prerequisites. So when I thought about transferring, it was going to set me back another semster to year depending on the school I chose. I know that many people get frustrated with our advising. You go to one person they may tell you one thing and your graduating on time, then you go to someone else, and you are graduateing a semester late. The best thing is to look at everythign yourself and know what you are talking about when you talk to your advisor. Knoxville as a whole is a nice place. It has a lot to do and I would recommend it to anyone.

This is a very diverse school in all aspects, religion, race, econimical, etc. There are all kinds of people here. Anyone can find a group of people they like. There are groups and orginizations for every single person. If you come here and don't meet anyone you like, that is because you have not tried. That are people here for everyone. Class here is laid back as far as dress goes. you can dress up if you want, but with the hills you have to climb, you are just worried about your feet being comfortable. Heels are not an option, and if you wear them, eveything thinks your crazy because we know your feet are killing you. If you come to class in your pjs that is ok, or if you wanna look cute, that is fine too.

UT is great! It is worth coming and taking a look at. Don't let all the conrete scare you (its not the prettiest campus). They are slowly redoing the campus to make it more green. If you want a school that will give you great opportunities and a great college experience, UT is the place! Delta Zeta

I am involved in a Sorority, Delta Zeta, and I love it. i would reccomend at least looking into the greek life. It is a great way to meet people and gives you a way to be involved on campus. Football is a huge deal here and the games are ALL day events. Also basketball is a big deal. Bruce Pearl is amazing!! If you like sporting events, this is a great school for you.

I just talked about some of this, but the down fall with a big school is big classes. I guess this is not always a down fall, but it can hurt some people. Usually big lecture classes have time where you meet in smaller groups with TA's so you can get more personal attention. It is usually a good idea to meet your professor and talk to them when you are having problems in the class. The smaller classes I have, my teachers do know my name. once you get into your major your classes are usually smaller. And of course I have teachers that do not know my name, but that has to do with the specific teacher. Some just don't care to know names. That happens everywhere, not just at big schools. UT also has a lot of resources for helping you find a job when you get out of school. They have a lot of resoucrces to help you out, you just have to make the effort of using them.

There are the Frat boys and the sorority girls. They all dress the same.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.