Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Alex

I wish that the administration would care more about current students then incoming freshmen. As soon as we become sophmores, the adminstration seems to lose interest in us. Also, I wish the university would spend more time on beautification of the campus. We have some very attractive buildings, but the need to spend more time on making the grounds look better. The administration only cares about money. If there are not making money, then they dont care.

Well, students who are liberal in the way that they think would feel left out. We all tend to wear the same exact thing. The majority of students seem to be very wealthy.

That we are all country red-necks

The proffesors here are very good. There are few that dont seem to care about students, but the majority seem to care. I do not agree with the new grading scale involving A-,B- etc... because the administration is trying to make us into a type of school that we are not. There are alot of students who do study, but there are also alot that dont. The library here on campus is more of a social gathering place then a library.

No, there are not, that are a great number of students who were not born in south enrolled at UT

Sports is the number one area on campus. I have no compliants because Tennessee is a football school, and everyone who comes here knows that, so when people complain about football, Its confusing because they had to have known that UT is a football school

chelsea

UTK is definitely a college town but I think the university is just the right size. There is a lot of school pride which is nice to see and be proud of. There is too much crime though which seriously needs to be changed.

Most students wear confortable clothes to class. Usually just a t-shirt, pants, and comfotable shoes. I dont think different types of students interact very much which is a problem and creates segregation.

I'm involved with my sorority, Pi Beta Phi and there are a lot of students involved in the greek communtiy. Others and in addition, students are involved in intramurals and other organizations such as clubs.

yes, we party a good amount and the student body really does stick to their own "groups"

UT is geared towards getting a job. Some professors know my name, others not. Some professors here do not even speak very good English which I think especially in certain classes is necessary more than others. If you can't understand your professor how are you supposed to learn anything? We need to be able to understand our professors which should be reconsidered by the administration.

we party a lot and the students are segregated

UTK is a southern college with many college traditions (especially sports), however, the students are very sheltered and do not come from vary many places outside of Tennesee. This sometimes makes it difficult for people that have experience more of life to fit in. Alot of students are spoiled and drink excessively. People are very close minded... not caring about the environment or other people or places in general. UTK has little to no international cultural influences, but the campus does have a great deal of a variety of student organizations. UTK is very cheap, asking students to pay for everything and the parking is a nightmare. I would not go to UT if I got to choose again.

Everyone looks like everyone else. Students usually fall into the two stereotypical categories of hippies or preps... very sad.

Pi Beta Phi-- the best sorority ever

The university does not fund certain programs like the nursing program the way it should. And although the nursing program doesn't have national recognition only few students can actually get into the program because of ridiculous budget constraints. The advising is a joke, not catering to students personal needs whatsoever. If youre failing they'll say "do better" and pat you on the ass. They dont care if you did not get a proper education before coming to college and they will not give you tools or tips to get back up to par. I feel bad for the people who actually need the advisors here because they are no help.

If you are not Greek or into athletics there is little organized activities on campus.

The stereotypes other people have about us: hillbillies stupid poor Stereotypes we have about our peers: spoiled brats everyone lives in a bubble were all Greek everyones parents pay for everything

Emma

i love the people. i love knoxville. i hate the campus. the construction and side walks are so ugly. And they need to fix their flooding problem as well. Football games are priceless.

very involved, but i have noticed that the same people run almost every organization.

sorority girls are drunk and loose

my major is hard as hell. i can't speck for others.

Charlie

At first glance, UTK is a pretty large campus, but once you start meeting people, it gets smaller. Some of my friends met a random guy at a party, and then the next week met his sister! Everyone has a sense of friendship within the school, here in Knoxville it's a privilege to wear orange!

From what I've seen most of our students have a sense of unity within one another, but are also very active in everything going on campus.

Football is at the heart of everything in the fall at UT. Everyone knows what you're doing on a Saturday: either going to the game, or watching it on television. I am in a sorority which is a good sense of family for me, especially because I have moved around every five years throughout my life, so right now, Knoxville is my home! Most sorority girls and fraternity boys hang out with each other, because they mostly are the same personality and party-wise.

Class sizes, teachers, and participation vary so much. Like any other school, all of that depends on what teachers you have, their personalities, your personality, and the personalities of other students.

I'm also very sure that everyone is very different and you can find any type of person on campus.

I'm not really too sure about any stereotypes, besides that we are all supposed to be really smart and studious?

the atmosphereis amazing. i love that knoxville is a college town but there are other things to do besides go to parties or football games. its great that there are towns like gatlinburg, pigeon forge, and ashville to go to on the weekends. the staff at ut is always helpful. the t is one of my favorite things about the school....and the fact that we have a starbucks that only closes for about an hour a day in the library for all of the all nighters that i pull. i love ppl's reactions when i tell them where i go, esp. if they dont like ut sports. even if they are fans of another team, our coaches are some of the best in the country! pat is a legend!!! my only complaint is parking, esp. for guests. i think the administration should have a guest lot and give out passes for ppl who either just staying for a few hours or a few days. maybe tear down one of the many rundown (although they could be really pretty if ppl had the money to fix them up) houses around the fort area and have a guest lot. but overall i love ut.

im not really involved with religion at school but there are a lot of opportunities if i were. the greek community is great. my only complaint would be that panhellnic and white fraternities are not at all involved with the black sororities and fraternities and that should change. students and professors need to communicate more. i realize its difficult in large classes but i would like it if students were told earlier in the semester if they are not doing well in the class that way they dont stress at the very end and find that they still fail. dress varies alot, esp depending on the time of the class. overall, most people wear t shirts and jeans to class and dress up when they go out at night to parties. students arent very judgemental though when it comes to clothes.

everyone parties a lot, everyone is obnoxious when it comes to sports, we will sing rocky top whereever we go

not everyone parties and a surprising number of people dont drink, and we are obnoxious but in a sportsman-like way

i transferred from another school and ut is a lot harder for me but there are also a lot of free studt resources that i have here that were not available at other schools.

i like that not every event on campus has to do with greek life. there are tons of other organizations to get involved with. athletic events are hugely popular. guest speakers are popular with the groups that they are involved with and then other ppl might come to get credit for a particular class. i met my friends by being involved in the greek community but ive also met some ppl at church, the library, class study groups, and out at events. if im awake at 2 am on tuesday, im not out partying but, being a last minutes person, i probably wouldnt be studying either unless the test was the next day. i do know that if i am up at 2am and im hungry, i can order jimmy johns and not even have to drive anywhere!!

Chelsea

the ut campus is very diverse. The school is so large that everyone can fit in somewhere and find something they can do

The student body and UT is very diverse.

there will always be stereotypes any where you go

Classes require your full focus

you have the frat boys and sorority girls, the hippies, the jocks, the smart people, Asians, the church people, the party people

Reese

tradition, big-but people know that coming in, for the most part is a college town, BIG school pride, parking is big complain...

tradition, big-but people know that coming in, for the most part is a college town, BIG school pride, parking is big complaint

great student organizations, students wear casual clothing to class, most utk students are from memphis and nashville and rural TN, most out of state students come from virginia

professors know people better in higher-level classes within your major, academic requirements are getting higher with each incoming freshman class

I think they would change parking. It has been an issue for years. There is no parking and it's a million buck to park there anyway.

Most students I would say wear their p.j.s to class. Nothing wrong with that but when there are a million hills to walk up who is going to put on their finest.

I think academics are all right. You go to school to learn if you aren't doing that it's your own fault.

I am in Pi Beta Phi. It is a great organization. I love the philanthropy and the girls. I wouldn't be lying if I said most college students go out a couple nights a week.

Well if it is from the north that we are stupid and we don't wear shoes. Don't know where that one comes from? I think everyone else from the south doesn't really have a problem with us.

Ash

The campus is beautiful, the professors are helpful, and the atmosphere of the school is great.

The student body is not as diverse as one would think but students are friendly and make the college experience great.

Being involved in activities at UTK help fuel your social life. I am Greek and thus I feel like the only way to be involved and have a social life is to be Greek. However, this is not the case. Less than 20% of our campus is Greek but I couldn't image being anything but Greek.

The academics at UTK are challenging and very informative.

The stereotype is accurate for some but as a whole I believe our campus is not like that.

The students at UTK do not study and party.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.