Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

tori

Tennessee has more school spirit then it knows what to do with. Which is great when it comes to games. Unfortunately some people take their spirit a little too far. I have seen people threatening to kick the asses of fans from the opposing team.

The student body on the whole is very good.

Please stop screwing people over for changing their majors. Books are ridiculously high. There should be more parking.

NO. I do not like to drink, nor do I like staying out all night.

Academics at UT are good, but could be better. One main issue is that many students change their majors. While doing so they normally add an extra year onto their graduation time. Just because you change your mind doesn't mean that you should be penalized for it.

I am a member of the Greek community on campus. As such I have a lot of experience with many different kinds of people. I feel that this interaction will help me in the future.

christy

I think the best thing about UTK is the football games...one thing to change would be general ed classes to be smaller..I think the school size is not to big just some classes are very large...they are like wow PARTY!!..either in the library, panhellnic, or hess...it is somewhat of a college more of a college town in the fall then the spring...I think the administration try hard...the biggest controversy on campus would be sercurity...I think there is a lot of school pride..I think going through recruit would have to be an experience i will always remember.

I think the BCC should be more inviting to white people as well as black people..the people on campus i think come from middle to upper class...most people are very casual when going to class..I think most students are not politically aware..

I think classes should be smaller so it would encourage students to go because when classes are bigger students dont feel the need to go, and more students would pay attention and grades would go up!

I think there is some truth but for the most part people do work hard and care about their grades

I am involved in Pi Beta Phi Sorority..I personally do not leave my dorm door open..Sports events are very popular on campus..I met my closest friend in high school and we have gotten closer since i have been in school.. I think that black and white fraterenities/sororites should come together more and learn more about each other so there isnt separation between the two..I went home...When I go off campus I usually go hang out with friends at their apartment or go to the mall..

Party all the time, football school

Katelin

UTK is the right school for me. I love meeting new people and with over 26,000 students and faculty, I never see the same people. The one thing I would change are the professors. I wish that the professors of big sections would be more open to getting to know ALL the students in their classes not just the ones that talk all the time.

I love everything I'm involved in and UTK has SO many opportunities that it's almost impossible not be involved in something.

Professors generally know my name because I'm kind of a goof ball but for the most part the academics are challenging and I've learned a lot.

The social scene is awesome. People are chill and know how to be smart about partying.

Not true at all. We party just as much as other college kids and I find the curriculums very challenging.

That it's a party school and that the classes are not hard.

Alicia

The bigest reaction I get when I tell someone I go to UTK is, "UT, huh? How 'bout them vols?" It's true that we have a wonderful athletic department, but that isn't all we have going for us. UT has excellent professors and classes as well. I am a member of the Chancellor's Honors Program. We're a group of students who entered UT with high GPAs and ACT scores who must meet higher academic standards and take classes that challenge us. It's unfortunate that people don't see the academic side of UT.

I cannot for the life of me imagine what kind of student would feel out of place at UT. We have everything here! There is an active life on the strip and in the fort for kids who like to party. We have countless religious activities for students so inclined. For the preppier students, there is a thriving Greek community, and for the skater kids there are always large groups congragated around their skate-boards. Goth and emo kids flood HSS and Art and Arcitecture, and there is always some group of hippies trying to raise awareness of an obscure cause. I had a friend in my honors sociology class last year that was homeschooled from K-12th grade! I asked her what life at UT was like and if she felt out of place and she said, "Not at all! I'll admit that having a roommate gets to me sometimes, but I've found a community in the Chancellor's Honors Program and I have more friends now than I ever have before!" At a school this big, you just can't feel like the odd-man-out.

My weekend definitely illustrates the thriving social life that can be found on UT campus. Friday after class I hung out with my "family" in my sorority - that is my Big Sis, my Little Sis, and my Grand-Little. We got ice cream and just talked about our lives. It was realy fun. Then Saturday my best friend and sorority sister threw a huge cabin party up in Gatlinburg. I went with my boyfriend. At first everyone just kind of hung out drinking (except for me and my best friend who are non-drinkers...yes, a non-drinker threw a cabin party) then when everyone had a pretty good buzz going people started to split off and I spent most of my time just talking to my boyfriend. When he decided to play drinking games my best friend and I just hung out laughing at all of our drunk friends. My boyfriend and I stuck around the next day and hung out with my best friend and her boyfriend. We ate, hung out at the cabin, and went with them to buy new puppies.

I'll admit that not all my professors know my name. All the ones from my smaller classes do, and certainly my Western Civ TA does as does my biology lab instructer. In larger classes with hundreds of students it can't be expected that the professor will memorize each and every individual in his/her class. However, if you want to be known you can be known. My Bio 101 class was one such class and my professor definitely knew my name because I would frequently come up to her after class to discuss various different things that we were learning. UT is one of those schools where you get back what you put in. If you do your work and participate in class then you will find that you have higher grades and better relationships with members of the faculty.

Well, there are definitly a lot of students who come here to party, but those kids flunk out after their 1st year. Most students care about academics and have a good balance.

UTK and UF are constantly head to head for the ranking of #1 party school. A big stereotype is that we don't care about school we just want to party.

Jill

UTK is only a good school if you can handle big classrooms and not having a close relationship with the teacher!

Students here at UTK know what they are doing and why they are here. Yes there may be a little partying going on on the weekends but during the week it is all academics.

Professors arent close to students at UTK, only in smaller classes they may be a little bit closer.

I'm involved in Pi Beta Phi and the intermurals. It has been a really good experience so far. I have met a lot of new people and i can truly say that it has helped me find what I want to do for the rest of my life!

That we are hard core football fans!

Sara

I love the campus. For the most part, I believe that it is a great size. There are some buildings that are not convenient, but overall the campus allows you to walk from class to class, getting exercise too. I will never forget my first football game on this campus. Game days in orange country and unlike anything else you will ever experience! It gives you chills to walk in Neyland and see the sea of orange and hear the vols cheers.

There seems to be great diversity. Some students are more involved than others, but there always seems to be some student lead activity every single day I walk to classes. Students are able to get their ideas to others easily and they are able to speak their minds too.

There is plenty available at UTK for the party scene. The strip is a great place to go out with friends and there is plenty to do right around campus that does not even require a car. This keeps the social scene safer. There seems to be a good balance between greeks and non greeks on campus.

Parts of the campus are ugly, like Humanities and Glocker but the Hill is beautiful. I do believe parts of knoxville have many bums but again other parts dont. UTK is a football campus defiinitely, but now we are basketball too

I do not like the large lecture classes because I am used to classes of about 20 maximum at my high school. I have a math and enlgish class which feel close and I feel comfortable asking questions. Having lectures with more than 150 or 200 students i believe is not a good way to teach because usually it consists of writing notes and no real explanations to understand the information.

UTK is known as an ugly campus with lots of bums and homeless people. UTK has a stereotype for being a football campus because of all the orange!

I love the school spirit at UTK it makes the campus feel more unified. I also enjoy being apart of the greek system here on campus because it is a large here and you make many life long friendships. Knoxville is defintely a college town and when I suggest utk to prospective students they definately seem interested. The campus is large but it is not too large and the professors are willing to help if you seek them out for help. Friends of mine who were between utk and another school in their decision that went with their other choice tell me that they wish they had gone to utk they just do not want to hassel with the transfer.

It seems as though all students from all different backgrounds can feel comfortable on campus

I am a biochemistry major, and the lectures are usually large so the professor does not know my name. However, if you need help the professors have office hours frequently through the week where you can go for one on one help.

although our sports program is a big part of campus, so is our academics, the classes here present challenges and its very difficult to just get by without studying. It seems that all the students do is party, but it is usually a select group that parties and you see the same people all the time going out.

The greek community seems very influential on campus. Football and basketball is a big part of campus as well. I met my closest friends through my sorority. If i was awake at two am on a tuesday i am probably in the commons working on homework and visiting with other friends who just cannot sleep due to procrastination on an assignment.

that they do nothing but party and do not care about academics, also that we only care about football and basketball

Jenny

School pride doesn't quite cover how the UTK students feel about our school. If asked most students would say that they bleed orange. Not only do students have a lot of school pride when it comes to sporting events but any of the other activities they are involved in.

The student body is very diverse. You will find students form all over the world, from all SES backgrounds, and ethnicities. Students that are politically actiev on both sides of the spectrum. There are students that interact but a lot of the time I've noticed students interacting predominately with other like themselves.

That UT is a party school and every student is drunk a good majority of the time.

Yes and no. Yes UT has lived up to its party school reputation but not every student drink all the time. There a good number of students don't drink at all.

Sports are very popular on the UTK campus. A lot of the social calendar is made around whichever sport is in season. Greek life is also present on our campus. While much less than half the student body is Greek their presence is well known on campus. The majority of offices held on student boards are Greeks.

The most unique class I've taken is RLS 425, Camp Koinonia. The class meets all semester long to prepare for a week at camp. This is more tahn just camp though, its a camp you children with disabilities. Each student is assigned a child to work with. It's a wonderful experience that will last a lifetime!

Lindsey

Knoxville is a huge college town, that is why our school pride shines through the SEC. I hated the color orange before I moved to Knoxville but just being here just makes you love the VOL pride!

I considered myself to be very socially liberal. I have many friends that are of different socio-economic statuses, races, and sexual orientations. Though they do face some negativity from the extremely religious and conservative groups, they all feel accepted.

The TN Gamma chapter of Pi Beta Phi rocks!!!!!!

We are a party school. It is as simple as that. We live by the motto: "The wettest dry campus in the nation." About 30% of the student body is involved in a Greek organization. Of that 30% we hold almost 75% of the leadership positions on campus. We are a community that supports each other and has improved not only the campus, but the Knoxville area.

As mentioned before a stereotype of UTK students is that we do not take academics seriously. However, most students take education very seriously. As a sorority woman I have to maintain a certain GPA to be able to stay in my organization. Most students belong to organizations and have to maintain a good GPA.

I think people misinterpret 'Big Orange Pride' for stupidity. If I never study, how have I maintained a 3.7 GPA? There are a lot of conservative Christians on campus, however the liberal side of campus is also a huge force.

I think a huge stereotype is that we are white conservative Christians. We don't ever study and all we care about is sports.

Audrey

The best thing about UT is having such a big campus, but at the same time being so close to all of my friends

It's been very different from my catholic high school, but race and religious beliefs are very different with everyone, and most people that I know accept everyone

I'm a shy student so i don't sit up front in class and therefore most of my professors probably don't know my name, but if I wasn't so shy I'm sure that they would

the Greek system here is very big, but it doesn't encompass the entire campus, there are many other clubs like the outdoor adventures club and things like that

I've heard that people see UTK students as rednecks and stupid people

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.