Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

UTK is a southern college with many college traditions (especially sports), however, the students are very sheltered and do not come from vary many places outside of Tennesee. This sometimes makes it difficult for people that have experience more of life to fit in. Alot of students are spoiled and drink excessively. People are very close minded... not caring about the environment or other people or places in general. UTK has little to no international cultural influences, but the campus does have a great deal of a variety of student organizations. UTK is very cheap, asking students to pay for everything and the parking is a nightmare. I would not go to UT if I got to choose again.

Everyone looks like everyone else. Students usually fall into the two stereotypical categories of hippies or preps... very sad.

Pi Beta Phi-- the best sorority ever

The stereotypes other people have about us: hillbillies stupid poor Stereotypes we have about our peers: spoiled brats everyone lives in a bubble were all Greek everyones parents pay for everything

If you are not Greek or into athletics there is little organized activities on campus.

The university does not fund certain programs like the nursing program the way it should. And although the nursing program doesn't have national recognition only few students can actually get into the program because of ridiculous budget constraints. The advising is a joke, not catering to students personal needs whatsoever. If youre failing they'll say "do better" and pat you on the ass. They dont care if you did not get a proper education before coming to college and they will not give you tools or tips to get back up to par. I feel bad for the people who actually need the advisors here because they are no help.

Emma

i love the people. i love knoxville. i hate the campus. the construction and side walks are so ugly. And they need to fix their flooding problem as well. Football games are priceless.

very involved, but i have noticed that the same people run almost every organization.

sorority girls are drunk and loose

my major is hard as hell. i can't speck for others.

Charlie

At first glance, UTK is a pretty large campus, but once you start meeting people, it gets smaller. Some of my friends met a random guy at a party, and then the next week met his sister! Everyone has a sense of friendship within the school, here in Knoxville it's a privilege to wear orange!

From what I've seen most of our students have a sense of unity within one another, but are also very active in everything going on campus.

Football is at the heart of everything in the fall at UT. Everyone knows what you're doing on a Saturday: either going to the game, or watching it on television. I am in a sorority which is a good sense of family for me, especially because I have moved around every five years throughout my life, so right now, Knoxville is my home! Most sorority girls and fraternity boys hang out with each other, because they mostly are the same personality and party-wise.

I'm also very sure that everyone is very different and you can find any type of person on campus.

Class sizes, teachers, and participation vary so much. Like any other school, all of that depends on what teachers you have, their personalities, your personality, and the personalities of other students.

I'm not really too sure about any stereotypes, besides that we are all supposed to be really smart and studious?

the atmosphereis amazing. i love that knoxville is a college town but there are other things to do besides go to parties or football games. its great that there are towns like gatlinburg, pigeon forge, and ashville to go to on the weekends. the staff at ut is always helpful. the t is one of my favorite things about the school....and the fact that we have a starbucks that only closes for about an hour a day in the library for all of the all nighters that i pull. i love ppl's reactions when i tell them where i go, esp. if they dont like ut sports. even if they are fans of another team, our coaches are some of the best in the country! pat is a legend!!! my only complaint is parking, esp. for guests. i think the administration should have a guest lot and give out passes for ppl who either just staying for a few hours or a few days. maybe tear down one of the many rundown (although they could be really pretty if ppl had the money to fix them up) houses around the fort area and have a guest lot. but overall i love ut.

im not really involved with religion at school but there are a lot of opportunities if i were. the greek community is great. my only complaint would be that panhellnic and white fraternities are not at all involved with the black sororities and fraternities and that should change. students and professors need to communicate more. i realize its difficult in large classes but i would like it if students were told earlier in the semester if they are not doing well in the class that way they dont stress at the very end and find that they still fail. dress varies alot, esp depending on the time of the class. overall, most people wear t shirts and jeans to class and dress up when they go out at night to parties. students arent very judgemental though when it comes to clothes.

everyone parties a lot, everyone is obnoxious when it comes to sports, we will sing rocky top whereever we go

not everyone parties and a surprising number of people dont drink, and we are obnoxious but in a sportsman-like way

i transferred from another school and ut is a lot harder for me but there are also a lot of free studt resources that i have here that were not available at other schools.

i like that not every event on campus has to do with greek life. there are tons of other organizations to get involved with. athletic events are hugely popular. guest speakers are popular with the groups that they are involved with and then other ppl might come to get credit for a particular class. i met my friends by being involved in the greek community but ive also met some ppl at church, the library, class study groups, and out at events. if im awake at 2 am on tuesday, im not out partying but, being a last minutes person, i probably wouldnt be studying either unless the test was the next day. i do know that if i am up at 2am and im hungry, i can order jimmy johns and not even have to drive anywhere!!

Chelsea

the ut campus is very diverse. The school is so large that everyone can fit in somewhere and find something they can do

The student body and UT is very diverse.

there will always be stereotypes any where you go

Classes require your full focus

you have the frat boys and sorority girls, the hippies, the jocks, the smart people, Asians, the church people, the party people

Reese

tradition, big-but people know that coming in, for the most part is a college town, BIG school pride, parking is big complain...

tradition, big-but people know that coming in, for the most part is a college town, BIG school pride, parking is big complaint

great student organizations, students wear casual clothing to class, most utk students are from memphis and nashville and rural TN, most out of state students come from virginia

professors know people better in higher-level classes within your major, academic requirements are getting higher with each incoming freshman class

I think they would change parking. It has been an issue for years. There is no parking and it's a million buck to park there anyway.

Most students I would say wear their p.j.s to class. Nothing wrong with that but when there are a million hills to walk up who is going to put on their finest.

I think academics are all right. You go to school to learn if you aren't doing that it's your own fault.

I am in Pi Beta Phi. It is a great organization. I love the philanthropy and the girls. I wouldn't be lying if I said most college students go out a couple nights a week.

Well if it is from the north that we are stupid and we don't wear shoes. Don't know where that one comes from? I think everyone else from the south doesn't really have a problem with us.

Ash

The campus is beautiful, the professors are helpful, and the atmosphere of the school is great.

The student body is not as diverse as one would think but students are friendly and make the college experience great.

Being involved in activities at UTK help fuel your social life. I am Greek and thus I feel like the only way to be involved and have a social life is to be Greek. However, this is not the case. Less than 20% of our campus is Greek but I couldn't image being anything but Greek.

The academics at UTK are challenging and very informative.

The stereotype is accurate for some but as a whole I believe our campus is not like that.

The students at UTK do not study and party.

Kris

The best thing about the University of Tennessee, is that there is always an event, activity, social, or academic group that you can get involved in. If you want to learn something new, there will definitely be an avenue here at UTK for you to pursue that.

In my opinion, the student body environment is a very relaxed and accepting one. While a few students dress up to go to class, the mass majority of students go in shorts, jeans, and tshirts. This makes for a warm, relaxed environment that does not seem so straight-laced.

I believe that there is a stereotype that UTK students are not challenged and educated well at the University of Tennessee. I also feel that people believe that UTK is not very diversified.

I am involved with Pi Beta Pi, one of the greek sororities with the Panhellenic council at UTK. It has been a great way to get involved within the community, meet new people, and stay active in UTK's campus life.

No, I believe that there are many people that work hard here and school, and you will find people that do not work as hard at any college. I feel that although there needs to be more improvement here at UTK, there is adequate diversity. Coming from an all girls private school, I have met many people and been and many diverse situations that have broadened my horizons and enlightened me which will ultimately help me become a better person.

In my opinion, the academic challenges vary from class to class. Although classes such as English 101, 102, are required classes for incoming freshman, I do not feel as if they challenge me intellectually as a student. I feel that some students in other English 101, 102 classes can get a very different academic experience from the one I receive only because of what their graduate student teacher feels like teaching them. I do not like that. I often feel like class time is wasted, and that there is no intellectual stimulation. For example, I greatly enjoyed my English 101 class. The teacher, who was a graduate student, was very enthusiastic and sincere about helping us learn more through our English 101 class. We had stimulating and thought provoking class discussions, and I highly looked forward to that class because my mind was being stretched and worked, and I actually learned. However, second semester rolls around, and I am in English 102. My teacher is also a graduate student, but her style is completely different than my first semester teacher. She has a more laissez-faire attitude, almost seeming indifferent to her students actually learning much during each class. English 102, which I assumed would be "more challenging" than English 101 brings me back to my roots of sixth and seventh grade going over MLA format and basic english principals which I have been taught since I was fourteen years old. I would assume by now as a freshman in college we would be getting to more challenging and thought provoking assignments in english class. However, these are just two specific experiences that I have had with two classes at UTK. My classes in Math, Foreign Language, and Science have proved to be challenging, and although at times I might complain of that, when it ultimately comes down to it, I do want to be challenged as a student.

Jaimee

I believe that this school can seem too large for some people, but it's all about who you are and what you get involved with. If you are involved in a group, like a sorority, you establish friends and the school doesn't seem so large. I believe that it does seem like a college town because the businesses Cumberland Ave. are designed more for college age students. The biggest controversy right now on campus is probably the lack of lighting in the Fort Sanders area because there has been an increase in crime over the past few months. When I tell people I live in the Fort they cringe because they know it's not safe.

I feel that anyone who came to UT would be able to find a place where they fit in. There really isnt anyone that would feel out of place as long as they are open-minded and willing to find a place where they fit in. I feel that our campus is very diverse. Most students wear t-shirts and jeans to class. If you walk in to an 8:00 am lecture you will even see sweat pants, flip flops, etc. It's very casual.

That we all like to drink an obscene amount of alcohol and that we only care about football.

Most professors on campus will not get to know you or your name if you simply show up to lecture and don't engage in the course. If you don't feel comfortable speaking up in class, going to the professor's office hours will help them get to know you. This can also help if your border in a class. If the professor gets to know you, they're more apt to bump your grade up because you've shown that you care about their class. Students can be seen in the library at all times of the day or night. My roommate is in architecture and there are cots and showers in that building specifically for them since they pull all nighters regularly. One problem that I have with the curriculum is for transfer students because there are many classes that do not transfer at all from other schools. I also think that with as athletically involved as our school is that we should offer an undergraduate degree in athletic training.

Maybe for some people but I wouldn't say the majority only parties and attends football games. Others are able to be supportive of our sports as well as get good grades.

A lot of our students seem to be involved with the Greek community. I joined the Greek society my sophomore year because I was an athlete my freshman year, and I believe I had a great experience with both. I lived in the dorms both my freshman and sophomore year and in some dorms they do leave their doors wide open. We would roam the halls and introduce ourselves to different girls on our floor. My sophomore year, however, it was a dorm for both boys and girls so that may be the reason we never kept our door open.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.