Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Brittney

UTK is AWESOME! It is on the large side, but it is a perfect size for me. There is always something going on no matter where you are. There is the strip, which has the bars, clubs, and some great restaurants. There is also market square which is close to campus that has some shopping and more food. Football games are huge and so exciting! GO VOLS! There is a lot of school pride. I coulc not imagine myself anywhere else.

Unfortunatly, I do not think that UTK is very diverse in race, religion, and socioeconomic status. I think that most students are middle to upper class white males and females. Most students that I know are from Tennessee or Virginia, although i have met people from all over the U.S.

We are all party preppy students.

Sororities and Fraternities are big on UTK's campus. I live on the Sorority floor in a dorm and the doors are always open because we all know each other. When i was a freshman the people in the dorms did not know each other very well. Although some of my best friends now are my random roomate from last year and my neighbors. Parties are ALWAYS going on on and off campus. There are very few weekends when options are limited. In those cases I usually just go and hang out at friends apartments. Partying gets old quick.

Academics at UTK are good. Students have oppurtunities to get to know the professors even though classes can be big. For the most part the professors are great! Attendence is taken seriously by mist teachers, and students grades tend to show it. I have been lucky to get a few really good professors. Some are not very helpful but you get lucky sometimes. : )

Parker

The best thing about UTK is football season the school is just the right size and does not need to increase enrollment as proposed by the administration. When I tell people I go to UT they say oh "football and sundresses" I spend most of my time on campus either in the library or the fraternity house. There is an enormous ammount of school pride. The most frequent student complaint is about parking and the dry campus policy.

The kind of student that would feel out of place at UTK is an LGBT student. What students wear to class depends on the time of day in the morning its not un common to see most kids wearing sweats and pajamas however as the day wears on kids clean up and start to wear polos and more preppy attire.

That we party hard, Love football

The most popular organizations to be part of fraternitys and sororitys as well as the Orange Nation and College Republicans/ Democrats. I love all of the groups I particpate in. In the dorms students leave there doors locked at almost all times. Athletic events are hugely popular as well as big name guest speakers such as Bob Woodward. Theater is not that popular. THe dating scene is fun, you can almost always meet somebody cool on the strip. I met my closest friends through my fraternity. If I'm awake at 2 AM on a tuesday I am studying. Every year the the biggest events are football games, homecoming, all sing, and carnicus. People party every friday and saturday night for sure. Also sometimes people participate in social events such as Tuesday Night Throwdowns, Whiskey Wendsdays, and Thirsty Thursdays. The greek scene is very important almost every major party is organized by a fraternity. Last weekend I went to bar both nights. If I'm not drinking on a saturday night I'm sick.

Academics at UTK are satisfactory classes that need to be smaller such as english are and the big classes are the kind it dosent matter how many people are in it such as history of rock. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class especially about politics. I fell that the curriculam is geared towards getting a job as it should be.

Laura

The best thing about UT is that it feels like a community even though it's so big. One thing I would change is definitely the parking! I think UTK's size is just right. Most people are impressed to hear that I'm a UT student. When on campus, I spend most of my time on the Hill or in the UC. Knoxville is definitely a college town. UTK's administration does a good job of keeping the school going. On campus, one of the main things is safety; the bomb threat a couple of months ago definitely caused chaos. School pride is HUGE at UT. We wouldn't be UT without it!

Diversity is a big thing at UT. We're all different, and that's what makes us UT. I think a student who feels out of place is one who has no desire to be social. Most students just wear whatever to class. It's not really a fashion show! It seems most students come from rich backgrounds, and most are politically active, predominantly left. Most students are from around Knoxville.

I wouldn't change the fact that I'm in a sorority for anything. Pi Beta Phi has brought so much happiness to my life, and every connection I have on campus is because of my Greek background. The networking options it gives you is enormous, and how much fun you have is always good. It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

I believe some stereotypes are that UTK is a party school and that all of our students are drinkers. Also, there's the stereotype of that our parents pay for everything,.

Greek life is huge on campus. I'm in Pi Beta Phi, a sorority on campus. I love it! In most dorms, students don't leave the doors open, maybe unlocked though. Athletic events are key! My closest friends I met in my sorority, but some of them are old friends from back in the day at home. If I was awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I'd be studying! At UT, Greeks are important; they hold a lot of offices and are really involved. Thus, they have a lot of say in what goes on around campus. Weekends are full of partying and good times. I love eating off-campus and shopping!

To an extent, I think so. We do party a lot at UTK, but we also know how to study, too!

Most of my professors are good about knowing my name. I really enjoy psychology; after all, it is my major. My least favorite class is chemistry! At UT, we study all the time. The library is always packed. Class participation is a must. As a student, I definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class. UT's academic requirements are sometimes hard to deal with, but I think for the most part it helps us become more well-rounded.

Kyle

Utk is a great school with a lot of things to do and tons of things to get involved in. The school is a great size, and people are usually impressed by the fact that i go here. Utk is its own town within knoxville.

UTK's Student body is the most diverse group of people i have ever seen, and that is what makes it so great.

Academics are great at Ut. I study several nights a week, but feel like i have a pretty good relationship with my teachers.

Greek Life is pretty popular on campus, and athletic events make Ut.

Tyler

People that don't like football would feel out of place. Most students are from Knoxville and memphis.

Football games are amazing. People party every night. If i'm not drinking on a saturday night I'm either sick or in jail.

We love football and get wasted.

katy

I think that utk is a pretty good size, not too small, not too big. But one thing that suprised me is that knoxville is very much a university town. There are many historical aspects surrounding knoxville and nature cites. But other than the university, there is not much going on in "the social scene" such as bands coming to knoxville or night out spots. But maybe that is a good thing, because when football season comes knoxville is a crowded place. There is a lot of school spirit when it comes to athletics. In my opinion the only bad part about the campus is that it is dirty. There are many groups that try to get involved to make the campus "green" and cleaner, but the fact of the matter is, it is just a dirty place. vomit stained sidewalks and beer cans, underwear, and paper are some of the most common things. I would like to see change, but until people stop being lazy, it will be dirty.

The dress for class is casual. For the girls, typically a greek t-shirt, or a shirt that shows your status, along with nike running shorts, with either chacos or rainbows. for the winter all you have to do is slip some leggings on under your shorts and add uggs. and all year round you can wear your ray ban sunglasses and croakies. I am able to give such an exact discreption because almost EVERYONE wears this. for the boys: most boys wear a polo, or a t-shirt (greek or patagonia, or I ran 4 marathons in one day) along with jeans or polo pants, typically orange or any other light color and flip flops along with ray ban sunglasses and croakies and a baseball hat.

If i am awake on at 2am on a tuesday night I am either writing a paper or at a party/mixer. Many people involved in the greek chapters party on week nights becuase that is when the mixers and date parties are, and there is always one going on. Many people just like to go to the library and talk or do whatever at 2am. some people sleep all day and do homeowrk all night. But 2am on a tuesday night is prime time for most people on campus.

Not really. Many people come to this school to fulfill the sterotype, but do not make it back the second year. But with 26000 students one is able to find the sterotype or avoid it.

In my first year so far the professors usually know my name, but I also make an effort to talk to the prof and keep in contact with them. Class participation is not a big thing. In most of my classes no one will speak. I try to participate, but there is only so much one student can do. It has also been my experience to notice how dumb ut students are. I know a lot of people might be "book" smart and have great scholorships but a lot of people do not know what is going on in the world around them. Not a lot of people that I hang around have intellectual conversations outside of class. conversation usually consists of food, the weekend, someone's hometown, blah blah blah.

obsessed with football, absorbed with being in a frat or sorority, party animals.

Mallory

There is a LOT of school pride which makes students really excited to go here. The people in charge keep cutting budgets though and they are making students who love the school hate it because less teachers mean less classes which means people get stuck here until the end of time.

I think there's a wide gap between races on campus. It's really strange to see it so divided and I'm really unsure of the cause. I'm so happy that you can pretty much wear what you want to class. If you want to dress up: have at it but t-shirt and jeans is cool too.

Sororities and fraternities are important because they sponsor alot of on campus social events and contain most of the SGA candidates. They're not everything though.

Pretty decent until you get into the science department. They hire researchers to get grants but who either suck at or are uninterested in teaching. Political Science and Russian department are exceptional and these departments are the most helpful with outside class help.

tori

Tennessee has more school spirit then it knows what to do with. Which is great when it comes to games. Unfortunately some people take their spirit a little too far. I have seen people threatening to kick the asses of fans from the opposing team.

The student body on the whole is very good.

Please stop screwing people over for changing their majors. Books are ridiculously high. There should be more parking.

NO. I do not like to drink, nor do I like staying out all night.

Academics at UT are good, but could be better. One main issue is that many students change their majors. While doing so they normally add an extra year onto their graduation time. Just because you change your mind doesn't mean that you should be penalized for it.

I am a member of the Greek community on campus. As such I have a lot of experience with many different kinds of people. I feel that this interaction will help me in the future.

christy

I think the best thing about UTK is the football games...one thing to change would be general ed classes to be smaller..I think the school size is not to big just some classes are very large...they are like wow PARTY!!..either in the library, panhellnic, or hess...it is somewhat of a college more of a college town in the fall then the spring...I think the administration try hard...the biggest controversy on campus would be sercurity...I think there is a lot of school pride..I think going through recruit would have to be an experience i will always remember.

I think the BCC should be more inviting to white people as well as black people..the people on campus i think come from middle to upper class...most people are very casual when going to class..I think most students are not politically aware..

I think classes should be smaller so it would encourage students to go because when classes are bigger students dont feel the need to go, and more students would pay attention and grades would go up!

I think there is some truth but for the most part people do work hard and care about their grades

I am involved in Pi Beta Phi Sorority..I personally do not leave my dorm door open..Sports events are very popular on campus..I met my closest friend in high school and we have gotten closer since i have been in school.. I think that black and white fraterenities/sororites should come together more and learn more about each other so there isnt separation between the two..I went home...When I go off campus I usually go hang out with friends at their apartment or go to the mall..

Party all the time, football school

Katelin

UTK is the right school for me. I love meeting new people and with over 26,000 students and faculty, I never see the same people. The one thing I would change are the professors. I wish that the professors of big sections would be more open to getting to know ALL the students in their classes not just the ones that talk all the time.

I love everything I'm involved in and UTK has SO many opportunities that it's almost impossible not be involved in something.

Professors generally know my name because I'm kind of a goof ball but for the most part the academics are challenging and I've learned a lot.

The social scene is awesome. People are chill and know how to be smart about partying.

Not true at all. We party just as much as other college kids and I find the curriculums very challenging.

That it's a party school and that the classes are not hard.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.