Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Audrey

The best thing about UT is having such a big campus, but at the same time being so close to all of my friends

It's been very different from my catholic high school, but race and religious beliefs are very different with everyone, and most people that I know accept everyone

I'm a shy student so i don't sit up front in class and therefore most of my professors probably don't know my name, but if I wasn't so shy I'm sure that they would

the Greek system here is very big, but it doesn't encompass the entire campus, there are many other clubs like the outdoor adventures club and things like that

I've heard that people see UTK students as rednecks and stupid people

School pride is probably my favorite thing about attending the University of Tennessee Knoxville. I transferred here from a smaller college and school spirit, as much as we tried, was just not what I expected. To have great school spirit a school has to have high morale in the community and here at UTK we defiantly have that. You can’t go to any store in the area without finding something “Tennessee” and that’s a good feeling. Even though it’s only April, I’m already looking forward to football season! It’s the best time to be in Knoxville, school spirit is out of control on Saturday afternoons. Walking down the strip is a sea of orange, cars are painted with the UT symbol, and you can’t go anywhere without hearing the uplifting song “Rocky Top”! School pride makes UTK my favorite place to be. I can’t wait to be one of those proud alumni here for a game flaunting my orange!

Here at the University of Tennessee Knoxville walking around campus you will see a little of everything. By that, I mean you will see people in all types of clothing. Some people choose to dress up for classes and others choose to wear sweats. It’s really a personal choice and no matter what you choose to wear you won’t feel out of place. We do have a pretty big Greek scene, but we also have people who wear punk clothing, great athletes, and people who like to be individuals. Personally, I don’t think anyone would feel out of place on this campus.

For being such a big school, UTK surprisingly has a real interest in their students. For the most part, professors are helpful and easy to meet with. If you are having an issue with their class they are happy to talk with you and help you through it. An up side to being such a big school is there is so much opportunity to get help if you are struggling. There are numbers you can call to get help with math homework, several groups that are free for study sessions, and people in classes often organize study groups within classes. The library, as lame as this sounds, is actually fun to be in and very social. Its actually kind of fun to study there!

For the most part, they are pretty true. However, like every school not everyones like that we have a wide variety of people that go here.

College is what you make of it. If you want to party every night of the week, well you can. The strip is full of bars that are walking distance and no cover, the old city has a great night scene that is a little classier than the college bar, and there’s always some sort of Greek event taking place. But if that’s not your thing there are so many events that go on at UTK to take advantage of that do not involve partying and drinking. There are rec-teams through the T-rec for almost any sport you want, speakers on pretty much a weekly basis, and more clubs than I could even imagine. The town of Knoxville is also a great place to be in comparison to many college towns because it’s also a pretty big city. You can find almost anything you want in Knoxville from shopping to food, it’s a great place to be!

big greek society, football obsessed, redneck

Steph

The things I don't like about UT are housing, none of the places are that nice, food, the cafeteria food is pretty awful, parking, it is so hard to find a parking spot even when you pay over $300 for a parking pass, and I don't like that UT is a dry campus. UT students have a lot of school pride which is awesome.

Most students at UT are from Tennessee and know one another. If you're an out-of-state student you'll feel left out every once in a while. UT is not very integrated, people tend to hang out with people that have the same skin color and/or culture as they do.

Greek life is huge at UT. Basketball and football games are a big deal and most students follow those sports. People go out and party every night of the week but thursday, friday, and saturday nights are the main party nights.

No, we are strong in academics too, we just get media coverage for our sports programs.

Most professors are very knowledgeable and easy to approach.

That UTK is just an athletic school.

UTK may be a big school, but we're all family here. People in Knoxville will do anything to help the students here. The Administration treats us fairly and there is a massive amount of school pride.

The student body is fairly diverse, but it is some what segregated. Different races/ethnicities -- as a whole -- choose not to mix with each other (for instance, the black people on campus will rarely mix with the white people on campus).

A lot of people feel like UTK students are huge party kids that don't work hard.

Absolutely not. I've met some of the smartest people I know here and I know a good number of people that don't party.

The professors at UTK are amazing! They are all very knowledgeable about their particular areas of study and will do anything they can to help the students out.

Sororities and Fraternities are pretty big on campus (something like 35% of the campus is Greek); however, that doesn't mean you HAVE to be in one, because plenty of people aren't. There's always something going, whether it's a cookout in Presidential Courtyard or a party on the strip.

Ali

School pride. Is there a lot of school pride? We're the VOLS. How can that even be a question? Man oh man. Not only is our football team known across the country, not only are our Lady VOLS basketball team known across the country, not only is Rocky Top one of the best known (and most overplayed---to others) college fight songs, but the students really do bleed orange. I haven't come across one student who doesn't have pride for the VOLS. We get hated on a lot, but we always know how to stand up for ourselves... and having the Lady VOLS and our men's basketball team having done well this year it's pretty easy to show others how awesome we are.

We're diverse. Sure the majority is made up of white-middle class-Tennesseans... but there is a little bit of everyone here. I haven't seen any discrimination towards one group or another, but I'm sure it happens. However, I doubt it's that bad because we're from the south, therefore generally kind.

PI BETA PHI IS THE BEST SORORITY. and we need that donation!!!

country hicks, rednecks, partiers

What did I do last weekend? We are very fortunate to have plenty of restaurants that have built up around the campus. Knoxville is a city built around the university, rather than a university placed in the middle of a city. We are also very fortunate to have plenty of movie theaters around as well. I went out to eat with a couple of my sorority sisters to Calhoun's on the River... which is the in the top three restaurants you must go to if you're ever in Knoxville. I later went to the movies with my boyfriend... and my friends went to see the same movie earlier. So later on when we all met up at a party we could discuss it. Plenty of the people were drinking, but a few of us weren't, and there was no pressure to drink, and there never is. People are nice to you and welcoming no matter what your situation and beliefs. Winner winner chicken dinner.

I think one misunderstanding of UTK is that we're not as greatly focused on education as some private schools may be. I went to Lehigh University, a private school in Bethlehem, which is placed among Yale and Cornell, etc. last year and transferred back home to Tennessee, here. Surprisingly, I found UTK to be just as difficult, if not more so, than Lehigh. A lot of students here are smarter than we get credit for and the education at UTK is the number one thing people are focused here, no matter what others hear.

no. there are a few rednecks here and there, and we do like to party, but it's not as heavy as the stereotypes make it to be.

Emmerson

Most people get a big smile on their face when I tell them I go to the University of Tennessee. MOst often times this is followed by a question about football or Bruce Pearl. Campus life is good; there is always something going on that you can get involved with. The administration at UT is fairly good. There is always someone willing to give you extra help, although it may not be your professor. There is alot of diveristy on campus, which is great until you have a teacher that you cannot understand. The advising service is not very good, but students also do not activley persue career services like they should. I love the college town, but safety can be a problem. Overall, I cannot think of another school that would be better for me.

The student body is very diverse. Everyone is generally accepted into their own groups. Clicks and groups seem to fade away during athletic events though, and everyone unites as one under the orange pride we all seem to have. Most people are from in state, but there is also a high percentage of out of state people and international students. I would say the best kind of person to choose UT would be someone who is looking for the whole package. UT is a balanced school with focuses on many areas of life, both serious and fun, and I think a student solely focused on one area of life might feel out of place here.

The greek like if strong on campus, but you do not have to be greek to partake in social events and make a statement. Intramurals are very popular. There are man political groups that get together to inform the student body and also have protests. The are hundreds of volunteer organizations to get involved with as well. Basically, there is something to do at all hours of the day in just about any activity you could want.

The first one is not. The second one is somewhat true. Many students just do not want to overload themselves with the hours necessary to graduate in time.

Most of my undergraduate classes were huge, ranging from 300-600 students. Professors were typically willing to help you out if you can to office hours and made yourself an active part of lecture. There are tons of groups students can join to stimulate their minds and advance their aducation outside of just the classroom. Academics are very competitive at UT, especially when it comes time to seek acceptance into the college of your major. UT encourages internships and actively seeking experience to better prepare you for life after college.

Many people think since we are from the south we are less educated. The Univeristy is known fo the "Big Orange Screw" and makes it hard for students to graduate within four years.

Katie

the best thing is that I have met so many friends through my past two years. My school is just the right size. You have to make a large school small by finding small groups to match your interests.

The student body is a mixture of every race. I have met people from India, and some from California, and even some from China. So everyone is mixed in.

Parties are usually Thursday or friday/Saturday nights. At a party that does not involve drinking you can mingle, watch movies, meet people who are close to what you like, really anything you can think of. Plus there is not alot of pressure to drink at UTK.

frats guy...to a point but the girls no!

I know all my teachers names, and my favorite class is child psychology. It is so interesting and easy to get involved and stay interested in. Students are very compeitive and everyone wants the best grades possible.

frat guys are drunks and soroity girls are whores

Meg

I think the size of our school is just right; I love it here and had always wanted to come. Most people are very proud to go here, and many of our athletic programs have done very well this year, which will definitely benefit the school. One thing that I would love to see change is the way all student organizations are treated; I would love to have equal opportunities for all student organizations. My experience here has been a positive one in pretty much every aspect the university has to offer. I am very pleased with the education I am receiving.

Students are pretty laid back here, with dress and attire. But they show up for class which is more important. I think most students are polotically aware of things these days, and no matter what their view or opinion is, at least they have one.

I am a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority, and this is where I have met my closest friends. I love the philinthropic activities the greek system has to offer.

We have guest speakers in my social work classes, people in my dorms leave their doors open.

I feel that the way UTK students behave are identical to how others behave at most all other universities. Students at UTK are very studious and they have to be. Most of the majors here have high requirements, especially the business school, nursing school, and law school.

I love the college of social work, and I have come to find, in the huge GenEd classes, if you take the time to know your teacher, they will take the time to help you. The college of social work is one of the top 20 in the country, and my professors take pride in what they teach us.

Huge partiers, the girls sleep around, not into academics.

I think my school is too large because its size inhibits students from talking to eachother because each person is so imtimidated by the amount of people. It requires joining some of kind of socialized group to attain friends.

UTK is very diverse. No student would feel out of place, unless they are just extremely shy.

Greeks are a minority on our campus so the social life varies with each student. Different people are partying every night.

Academics at UT, for myself, are quite easy. My teachers are fairly nice which makes it easier for me to approach them if I have a problem.

Kind of. It doesn't apply to everyone

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.