Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Amy

The pride people have for the school is the best thing. If I could change on thing I would get rid of the construction and add more landscaping. It's defintely a college town within a city.

Girls wear pearls and Wallabe shoes everywhere here, which is the complete opposite of Maryland (and the north in general) where girls are most commonly in messy-bun hair styles and sweats. Most UTK students are from in or around Nashville, from my experience.

i would said overall they are somewhere accurate, although there are some people who abstain from the partying and don't care about sports. and the school makes a good effort to create diversity through the I-house, and other similar programs.

Most of my professors do know my name- it's another thing I love about UT. Students may going out and party alot, but I think in general people study really hard here. Class participation is definitely common.

Sports club teams are really common; rugby, lacrosse, etc. Greek life is also pretty big. Dorm room doors are often open. Sporting events are a top priority. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm facebooking.

no diversity, party school, only care about sports

Carolyn

Our school is just the right size and right place to be. At first, the school seems amazingly huge and as though every building is miles away from the rest, but after a short time, the campus becomes small and everything is relatively close. People react very differently when I tell them I go to UT. Most have that typical response, "Oh! I bet you have lots of fun." The majority have the stereotype in mind of the party scene and not so much on the academic side. one of my favorite places on campus is actually the library. Our library at UT is more than just a place to study. It is a major hang out spot for all of our students. Honestly, when I go to the library, I socialize and hang out with my friends sometimes more than I actually study. Our college town has an orange and white atmosphere everywhere one goes. UT has an enormous amount of school pride, which is lead by our strong and efficient administration. Our chancellor and deans are very active in all aspects of campus life. They have a genuine concern for the well-being of all students and their interests.

Our student body is very diverse and open to anyone. We have over 200 organizations and activities that anyone could find multiple things suited just for them. Some of the best experiences I have had here at UT have been meeting random students around campus. I met people through Greek life, intramurals, class, going out on the weekends and mainly through routine things I do everyday. Different types of students interact all the time at UT. Even though a majority of our students are from Tennessee, we still have a large amount of out-of-state students and students from outside the U.S. I have heard foreign students say that they tend to end up all hanging out together. Students from other countries live with other students from outside the U.S., so to some extent, they are forced into a group of their own.

I feel as though many students look at UT as a "redneck" type school. People from outside east Tennessee and more specifically, the state of Tennessee, view our school as a southern, country institution. Some could view UT as not very diverse or lacking in cultural and ethnic diversity. Most importantly, and the most wide-spread belief is that UT is a party school. Apparently we do nothing except party, get drunk, and go out.

Greek life holds a dominant force on our campus. Although it only makes up a little less than 20% of the student body, over 80% of leadership positions on our campus are held by Greek members. I am very passionately and actively involved in my sorority. For me, it incorporates academics, athletics and philanthropy all with a fantastic group of 150 other women. I met some of my best friends at school through my chapter. Likewise, the most dominant force is athletic events. All of our sports attract large crowds, but our football and men's and women's basketball teams help to unify and loudly support UT. Our athletics have revolutionized the university and also established numerous traditions that have been here at UT for countless years. A game day in Neyland Stadium surpasses a game at any other stadium in the SEC or the country as a whole. The partying scene just depends on the individual. If you want to find it, you do not have to look far. However, if you do not care to party or go out at all, there is so much else to do. Last Saturday night, I stayed in with a bunch of girls that I live with on my sorority floor to watch movies and eat pizza. Going out is not essential, although it is fun. UT offers $1.00 movie nights and very cheap bowling in our University Center.

Academics are no "cake-walk" here at UT. We have a rigorous class schedule for all students. One of the biggest complaints that I have heard about the university is the difficulty in advising and graduating in four years. We have specific requirements for general education classes that are built into each major that lasts the first two years in school. If you change your major after your first year this can cause problems with graduating on time. Advising can also be a very challenging thing. Students must assume responsibility to meet with their advisor as many times as they need. Keeping up with your class requirements is very important at any school, but even more so at a school the size of UT. A few of my least favorite classes include: Geography, Anthropology and Statistics. My favorite classes besides Journalism (my major) classes include: Psychology, Spanish and Public Relations. The Journalism department is a very exciting one at UT. We have many school television programs and our own radio station. UT prepares you for the job world and offers fantastic internships and opportunities outside and within the university.

No. All three stereotypes are inaccurate. UT, of course, has its fair share of southern students, and yes, some are very southern. However, this is not a dominant force on our campus. Our school is extremely diverse and has students from all over the United States, as well as students from other countries. Last year, I met random guys, including one from Africa, just by playing a pick-up game of soccer at our exercise facility. Lastly, we are in college and every school is a party school. It is true that here at UT the partying may be more out in the open, but that does not mean that every student goes out the majority of the week and is not concerned about their classes.

Cameron

The University of Tennessee has come a long way since the institution of the lottery scholarship. More high-achieving in-state students are choosing to go to UTK instead of out of state somewhere. Because of this, UTK is becoming more and more competitive and its educational quality is greatly improving. The only downside to this is that UTK is rapidly expanding their incoming freshman class sizes, and the rest of the university is not yet able to accomodate all of the extra students in housing, parking, etc.

UTK has a lot of diversity, but the predominant group you mostly see are upper-middle class "preppy" types that tend to also be the ones that are obsessed with football and dedicate their entire weekend to pregaming, going to games, and celebrating them afterwards.

Football-obsessed partiers. And super-Greek.

I have always had good experiences in my classes. All of them have been taught by professors, with TA's only teaching the discussions for large lecture classes like Chemistry. The classes have been engaging for the most part. The only classes I have not enjoyed were the ones that are required by the University and not something I would have taken otherwise. Students are not competitive at UT. No one really talks about their classroom performance outside of their close group of friends, if at all.

Student Government is really big on campus, as well as all the sororities and fraternities. Behind those two, a lot of students are involved in intermurals and sports clubs. On a Saturday night a lot of students will go to various places downtown in Market Square which is Knoxville's newest cultural area that has many restaurants, a Hookah bar, a movie theater, and is just an interesting place to walk around in general.

UTK is not full of dumb rednecks from the Hills of Tennessee. It's just a state university like all the rest!

Getting to be close to home and still far enough away to be independent. All of the construction on campus. Just right I love it! They say oh that's great. In my friends rooms. college town. The administration could use some serious work. If we could keep a president for more than 3 years that would be great. The big crime spike is the most recent controversy. TONS of Volunteer Spirit. Nothing unusual that I can think of. I will always remember my first time in the student section at the football game it is amazing! Most complaints are about lack of security and protection from adminisration.

There is a great mix of people on campus. I think a student who is not interested in sports would feel out of place. Most students wear jeans and tee shirts or sweats. Yes they interact all the time. Soroity girls are all wearing letters and have their make up done. There is a table of athletes in sweats just from practice. the other two tables are both just a mix of girls and guys all having fun and eating. Most are talking and doing homework for the next class. Most utk students are from somewhere in tennessee. The most prevalent ses is middle class women. Yes most students are politically active. Predominatly left. Yes $ is a big deal in pickin a major for most people.

Not completely. We do party but we definately go to school too. And yes we are southern but in the good sense with manners and respect, not the stupid and slow part.

I love UT I wouldn't be happy anywhere else.

Some do. Favorite class child psych the professor was hysterical and he made even the technical infromation interesting and used great analogies to help you understand. My least favorite class is religous stds. I think its rediculous that we have so many graduation requirements that I don't need. No mostly it is sit and lecture. Yes I have had several intellectual conversation outside of class. Motivated students are very competitive at academics, other students are also very competitive just at many different things. Most unique class has got to be child psych simply because the teaching was so great. My psych major is alright, the advising kind of sucks but otherwise I have no complaints. My minor is elementary ed and thay advising department is amazing and they are great about answering questions. No I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I think gen ed req. are a way to make kids stay in college for more than 4 years. I think depending on the major most classes are for getting a job. But the gen ed req. are learning only.

Soroities, basketball, football. I don't really do any of those. Yes they do and they are mostly social with other girls on the floor. Athletic events are extremely popular as are theater events. Guest speakers depend on the person speaking. I'm married I can't really tell you about the dating scene. Rowing on the novice rowing team is hw I met my friends. Studying. sports, vagina monolouges (hilarious), blood drives, women's week. Pretty much every night there is a party for you to go to if you want. To me not very important to others life or death matter. Last weekend I went to a party at a friends house had some drinks and went dancing. watch sports, go bowling at the UC, go to the movies downtown, go to a concert somewhere, hockey at the coliseum, go to the mall. Work, eat at great new places,

Party school, country and very southern.

Brown

What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Well it still is an issue, but safety in Fort Sanders. I'm not sure that there have been evident changes made and I think that lots of people have just tuned out, which is sad. The Fort has a lot of potential to be a nice, unique area to live in Knoxville. As a student I feel bad for homeowners who are going to continue living here when there is potential for conditions to get worse over time.

I think that Sport Clubs are a pretty big deal on campus. They seem to reach out to a lot of different people (fans, and participants). Its more fun to watch when you know the people playing and they're doing it for more of a competitive fun vs. they got paid to go to school here and play a particular sport.

Yes my professors know my name, but seeing as I have a class of 20 and my professors & classmates never change that isn't really an epiphany.

Some things are, but I definitely have friends who are participating in greek life who don't fit this description and as an Art student Ive come to find out there's so many different kinds of people who consider themselves artists. And yeah, Ive met a few true free thinkers/hippies in the past four years. I consider them to be inspirations for us all.

We're from the south. UT and the overall state of TN gets stereotyped in general. For students Im not really sure, there's your typical sorority girls that everyone thinks about (usually blonde wears pearl earrings and has a pastel lacoste polo for every occasion with Vera Bradley bag to match). Frat guy about the same without the vera bradley, and ray bans instead of pearls. Thats only the Greek stereos, I really couldn't say much about the student body as a whole. Art students aren't all liberal hippies thats for sure, I should know. *note: all statements are not to be taken personally just as observation

Richard

the best thing is the sports whether it is football or basketball i love them all. i could have gone to georgia for free with the hope scholarship since i am from there, but eversince i have been born i have bled orange. i would change the parking situation it sucks. and tuition is really high. when i am on campus i am in class or at a sporting event or in the TREX. Its not really a college town past the strip. i dont know anything about the administration-which is probably a good thing because no news is good news. the biggest controversy was something with the president. i have tried to have conversations about it but no one seems to really agree to what he has done. it seems to me that know one really knows because everyone i have talked to has heard different rumors. there is a lot of school pride especially now that the mens basketball team is doing so well. nothing seems unusual. beating memphis in basketball. frequent complaints: parking the new grading policy student sitting in basketball games.

i am a white straight male so i cant really say. most student wear t shirts and jeans very casual. most student i would say are middle to upper-middle class. i am politically aware and active but most arent. mostly conservative. yes

some do. not freshman or sophmore year but junior and senior year is better. favorite class international law and international relations with professor prins. he was amazing. students are not competitive in my classes. i am a legal studies major (which you dont have) and i love it. i love my classes especially political science. no i dont spend time with professors outside of class. our current academic requirement are ok but i dont know why i would ever have to take anthropology and geography if i am going to go to law school.

we are a party school but we are very educated.

party school. that we are stupid and less educated.

Nick

Best thing about utk is the sports/ downtown life/ to small/ they think i'm redneck/ sports facilities/ knoxville is nothing but a college town/ na/ i dunno/ lots/ not really/ first time running through the T/ parking

i've been tryin to go to FCA on a religious standpoint but other than that i just go to class/ none/ casual clothes/ yeah alot/ there's really alot of different tables/ tennessee probably/ middle class/ yes/ right/ not really

Real southern kids that are all from tennessee

not sure/ play football and its a pretty big group/ never/ very/ kinda not really/ not at all/ its pretty prevalent bc most people have boyfriends or girlfriends/ high school and football/ studying most likely/ homecoming/ alot!/ really important, greek life is huge/ stayed at home and rested up from the week before/ see a movie go out to rt's (you dont have to drink there)/ go home

some/ my favorite is probably spanish and least favorite is accounting/ alot/ yeah/ not really/ kind of but not really/ career development/ majoring in business and just waiting to get in so don't know a whole lot about it other than the prereq's/ nope/ they're fair but not too hard/ gettin a job

The best thing about UTK is its school spirit. UTK is definitely just right in size, not too big , not too small. When I tell people I go to UTK they ask about athletics. Knoxville is definately a college town, I mean we are walking distance from the Bars! Not sure if it is the biggest, but the safety concern off campus is a big issue for me. There is definately a TON of school pride! I will always remember the first time I went to see a game at Neyland Stadium, no one could had ever described to me how huge it really is!

Depending upon the class and the size, some professors learned my name. It is a tie between my two least favorite classes, Western Civilization and U.S. History. Well judging on the amount of students that are always in Hodges Library I would say studying is a pretty common thing around here.

On-campus living is very involved and there is a wealth of nicer off-campus apartments. Knoxville is a city built around a huge university. The school is downtown, making the scenery spectacular and bars and restaurants accessible. Although UT is downtown, the area surrounding it is a whole different world with its own apartments, houses, clubs, bars, restaurants and cafes. It is community oriented as well. During football season, 3/4 of the Knoxville population piles into the stadium and its surrounding parts to tailgate. Football time in Tennessee is certainly something that cannot be explained. It has to be experienced. Out of all of the other SEC football games I have attended around the South, UT has the most passionate fans, revered traditions and energetic atmosphere.

Knoxville is located in the heart of the Bible-belt. Unfortunately, some UT students and community members have radical views and racism is still a big issue. However, UT offers several programs and groups about diversity, cultural integration and international experience. Several of the schools at UT have international outreach programs. These programs result in a large number of international students from around the world that choose to study abroad at UT. Therefore, it is hard to feel like a minority due to one's race or religion. Most students come to class in casual clothes, jean and t-shirts. However, the 8 a.m. classes usually see sweat pants and messy hair, but that is not frowned upon at all.

While UT has its party goers and wild greek life, it also has some of the most enriching education providers. Upper level professors' resumes are beyond impressive. There is also a wonderful library that boasts the newest technology and cozy places to study. As for the energy on game days and stand-out athletic teams, that's just icing on the big orange cake.

UT is a very large university that boasts an array of tailor-made graduate programs and research opportunities. Most of the classes are large, making teacher-student connections hard. This is not a school to go to if you tend to slack off or need to be accounted for. The professors are very hard when you get to upper-level classes. They are not going to e-mail you if you miss class, and late work is not forgiven. It is a challenge if you make it a challenge. Many people go in with a party hard mindset and fail miserably. You have to be responsible and diligent to attend UT because there are a lot of social activities that surround the university.

UT is a party school, and fraternities and sororities run all student activities. UT students are sometimes seen as irresponsible and wild.

The greek community is a big deal on campus. However, if this isn't for you, there is a variety of different groups, from the Bluegrass lovers club to the fencing club. Sports is everything at this university. Football games days are holidays in Knoxville. There is always something to do on Friday and Saturday nights, even if it is just going to one of the bars on the edge of campus. On the weekends, one can here students' laughter and party screams throughout the entire night. In spite of all of this, UT actually has great educational outreach programs that host an array of famous and noteworthy speakers. Students have a choice of several events that they can attend each night of the week.

While fraternities and sororities are abundant and large, they do not run the student activities and not everything is catered to these greek organizations. It is true that UT is a party school, just go to any home football game and the smell of beer and liquor is evident on about 3/5 of the student attendees. However, while UT does have its wild students and parties, it also has some of the most focused and intelligent students and faculty members. There is a very obvious line between the students that come to UT to party and the students that are there to get a college education.

Evan

I'll always remember watching the UGA fans leave early both years that I've been here, as we beat them in Football. The roar of the stadium is life-changing and inspiring. School pride here is completely polar opposite of home, where basketball season in the spring unites the students. Here at Tennessee, football fall weekends bring the city to life and pride of the state shows truest. I spend the most time on campus in the fraternity house, with my brothers, whom I have learned to confide in, as well as the very same people who motivate me to acheive and lead around campus. The administration hates the greek system, though we have multiple chapters on campus that are the best in the nation for their particular chapter. I feel like the days of great greek life is over, as it has been invaded by media and by liberal ideals, and it has steadily gone on a decline since. However, lingering traditions within the greek community remain. Greeks rule the campus, and UTK has done a fine job in producing great alumni from the greek community. The strip makes it feel like there is very little near campus, but the fort makes up for it. Bomb threats scare people, but so does change.

Most people I deal with are not in the minority. UTK lacks diversity, and doesn't do a great job of encouraging interaction with the minority student body. Most students wear school colors around campus, however the greek community has a good image as far as dress code goes, but then again, keep in mind the liberal/artsy crowd that dress in an eccentric manner.

Some professors know who I am, some don't. I hate sciences, but love spanish and math. I study quite a bit, but get things done ahead of time so I can play harder. Class participation is uncommon unless provoked by the instructor. School of business can't retain any of its advisors, so I don't know who has my life in their hands anymore. I think that the school's entry requirements are increasing, putting us ahead of UGA when educational value and sports are compared.

Greek life, SGA, and SAA are most popular on campus. I'm in a fraternity. It is the best thing that UTK can offer, even above education and athletics. No one I know leaves their door open unless they're in it. Football and basketball make the population of Knoxville double. Nothing is better than a tailgate on a saturday, and you'll never have a chance of bleeding orange or seeing it bled as much as a gameday in K-Town. Guest speakers are rarely advertised, and don't attract major audiences, but they are relatively popular speakers. My closest friends were my pledge brothers, and the girls i've met during my time here, in sororities. If I'm awake in the early AM hours on a weeknight, I've either been to a date party or in John Hodges, ha, the library. Greek life owns campus and is one of the best in the nation. Alabama and Ole Miss, as well as UGA are all completely overrated. The plain truth: no one can party like a Tennessee Vol. I went on dates and went out with friends last weekend, as well as saw a jam band concert. I go hang out with buddies and kick it off campus, but I live in the fraternity house.

Extremely liberal for SEC southern schools. Very traditional sports program, very heavy drinking, very big party scene. Underrated educational system because it is overlooked and replaced by party scene and sports.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.