Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

The best thing is the sports. The parking is terrible. They should put a parking garage by the library instead of the small staff lot. The size of UT is just right. This is certainly a college town. Most of my time is spent in the library or in class. The administration on campus is great in some departments such as business while lacking in others like science classes. The school has an enormous amount of pride from its students.

I do not think anybody would really feel out of place here. This campus is extremely diverse. Students wear from pajamas to jeans and a sweater for the most part. Most UT students are from TN. Everything about these people is diverse, from poor to rich.

Party people. Very school spirited

Greek organizations are fairly popular since there are so many. People in the greek living halls do leave their doors open, while freshman don't so much. I met my friends from me sorority. If I'm awake at 2 am on Tuesday I'm studying. Torch Night is a campus wide event for freshman, while Vol Walks occur before each football game. Some people don't party and others do a lot. I went to the bar on Friday and stayed in a watched a movie on Saturday. You can go bowling, go to movies, and hang out with friends.

Teachers only know your name if you want them to, by going to office hours and you initiating the contact. In class participation is very hard in large classes, but a little more common in smaller ones. I'm a BCMB major, and most of my classes are large. The academic requirements are good for the most part.

I love being a student at UTK. I love the atmosphere of the campus and the school spirit that is found everywhere. One thing i would change, would be the lack of parking. Finding a parking spot can become very stressful. Some people think that UTK is just too big, but really its not as big as people make out to be. When I tell people that I'm a student at UTK, i sometimes get that look like "oh, your a party girl" and it frustrates me, because i chose UTK for its Education program, not for the amount of parties i can attend on the weekends. I would say that Knoxville can be a college town, on game day you see orange everywhere. When I have to work on game days at the mall, people are shopping in there orange and white. Right now there has been a lot of controversy with the safety of UT's students but i think that the administration and UTPD is working hard to fix the problem.

I would say that the student body of UTK is very diverse. I personally, do not hang out with a very diverse crowd...in fact most of the people i hang out with on a daily basis are from my same home town. But I'd say we all come from different backgrounds as far as religion and socio-economic class. I would say that most of the students here do come from Tennessee, but there are still a lot from various other states and countries.

I have my really big classes, and then i have my small classes. If your in a big class, then its up to you to get to know your professors and TA's on your own. But they do make themselves available through out the week by there office hours and email. Plus there are many tutorial centers for a lot of the academic departments that you can turn to if your professors are not giving you the help you need. My major is a little bit unique here at UTK. I'm doing Elementary Education, but at UTK you can not major in it, you have to choose it as a minor and pick another major from the College of Arts and Sciences. I choose Psychology. The reason for this is bc the Education program is a 5 year progam, and your 5th year is spent student teaching. Its considered your "graduate year". The cool thing about this program is if you take an additional 12 hours of grad school you can earn your masters degree. Also,this program makes your so much more marketable when it comes to getting a job.

A lot of people think that UTK is a big party school and that we are loud and obnoxious and that all we care about is football.

Greek life is very popular at UTK. I am in a sorority and i'm currently living on the sorority floor in Greve Hall because we do not have houses yet. I love it...everyone keeps there door open and there is always someone to hang out with. If i need something to wear, i have like 30 closets to choose from! Football games and Basketball games are very important, and definitely this year with both teams doing so well. There is a lot to do that doesnt involve drinking, you can go out to the strip and go dancing, you can go to the UC down under and go bowling, you can go see a movie. In west knoxville there is a 1$ movie theater, that i have been to often. You and your friends can go up to Gatlinburg for the weekend, its only an hour away!

No, yes we do have our share of parties and yes we can get pretty loud and excited on game days....but UTK has so much more to offer.

I don't think there is anything I would change about UTK. I've been to 3 different school during my college career, and UTK by far have been my favorite. I would not want to be anywhere else! While on campus, I probably spend majority of my time in classes or in the library... yes, studying in the library, but also socializing of course! I actually get to know alot of people in the library, and you can always find several people studying the same thing you are studying. I'm able to stay up alot longer and be more focused on what I'm studying in the library than I would if I was at home. I definitely believe Knoxville in a college town. Obviously families live in Knoxville, but majority of people you will see anywhere in Knoxville are students. Also, majority of the Knoxville is based around students- bars, restaurants, stores, etc. There is no doubt in my mind there is a lot of school pride. I have never seen so much school pride before I came to UTK!! Florida is in close rank, but I definitely believe we out beat them!... "We bleed orange!" UTK in general is a memory I will never forget. There are too many experiences that have meant so much to me that I cannot begin to list them all- from times out with my friends, to football and basketball games, to things that have happened during our nights in the library, to hilarious moments in class, and so many more! I don't believe I know of a frequent student complaint!

I can't even begin to describe UTK's student body. They are very diverse. No matter who you are, you will fit into UTK. There are students who are involved in everything academic wise, to those who are involved in everything sports wise, to students who just go to classes and work, to students who just go with the flow of the moment. When you go to class, you can find people wearing sweats, jeans, dressed up.. almost anything. You just wear what you want, and no one thinks anything about it. You can also find so many people from so many different racial and financial backgrounds. I would say majority are Whites and African Americans, but that doesn't mean if you are from a different racial background you wouldn't fit in, or even if you have a different financial background. There really isn't any racism here that I have witnessed. Basically if you love a big school and want to be off at college- you will love UTK.

I think so.. We have a good time, but we also have good grades, and we definitely have a VERY strong pride in our sports teams.

Your college years up at UTK is something you do not want to miss out on! It is probably some of the best times of your life!

Academics at UTK are amazing. They may be a little challeging at times, but professors are always there to help you, and they always do their best to get to know you. It amazes me how alot of them remember my name. The key to doing well is to get to know your professor. Have confidence- go introduce yourself to them the first day- go to their office hours whenever you need help! You will pass any class if you want to. I'm majoring in Marketing so, obviously my marketing classes are my favorite, but I don't think I have ever disliked a class. Students are competetive with themselves more than with other people. No matter if you know them or not, people in your class are always friendly and will help you with anything you are struggling with. UTK academic requirements are very highly looked upon. Any business seeing you went to UTK on your transcript will be very impressed. They are an amazing school who want you to succeed after your graduate in whatever you do.

There is so much to do at UTK!! Everything is offered here- I don't think I could even list it all. Sororities and Fraternities are pretty popular, but that doesn't mean if you aren't in one you will feel left out. I have a ton of friends who are not in one, and have the best time ever up here! There are so many opportunties offered to you such as Orange Nation, Orange Pride, Frats and Sororites, ACE, Intermural Sports, actual school sports, clubs, and so many more! There are always career fairs, guest speakers, athletic events, and UTK related events going on- Our website shows a calendar full of events that take place each year! Weekends are amazing too! You can always find something to do up here when you want to go socialize! Drinking doesn't always have to be involved- there is something for everyone!

Party school, good students, prideful

Britt

The classes are too big!! I spend a lot of my time at the gym!! I think there is a lot of school pride when our teams are actually doing well. I would like to change some of the teachers who cannot speak good english.

I have come in contact with all sorts of people. Most students wear sweats and a t-shirt. Comforable clothing. I believe all students interact. Most of the UTK students are from TN. I would say financially most students are middle to upper class.

SOrorities and Fraternities. I am involved in DZ and have met a lot of great people and have really enjoyed my four years. I am not a freshmen but in my dorm we didn't. If i am awake that late on a tuesday I am most likly studying. People party Wednesday-Sunday. Last weekend I attended the boxing tournament. You could go to a movie. I go to church off campus and shop. I met my closest friends from my classes or from the gym.

In my small classes they do. My favorite class was juvenile delinquency. I found the information to be really interesting. My least favorite was astronomy. It was way to hard and the teacher did not know how to teach the material. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I belive that the requirements are rising and that is good! I belive UTK is geared toward getting a job!

Andy

Best thing overall-FOOTBALL SEASON! UT is a large school, but I think the benefits outweigh the cons. We offer tons of resources that small schools don't have, and there are opportunities for all types of students. Knoxville is a college town. There are tons of places to go out, most located within 5 minutes of campus. There is tons of shopping and restaurants. On game days, the ENTIRE town of Knoxville and even surrounding towns are focused on the game. School pride is endless. Not only are their complete organizations dedicated solely to school spirit, the entire student body readily sports UT gear and everyone is always discussing the most recent game. The most frequent student complaint is about parking. Being in the middle of downtown Knoxville, parking is scarce. It is really hard to find parking especially for visitors. When I tell people I go to UT they usually immediately recognize the name from our phenomenal sports teams.

UTK is full of racial diversity, but in my opinion it is fairly segregated. In my hometown we have a lot of diversity, but we all mix and mingle together. At UT racial groups seem to intermingle within themselves, but not as frequently outside the group. However, there are opportunities that bring all of us together on certain occasions or for certain group organizations. Overall, I think everyone at UT will inevitably come into contact with many students who vary from them in gender, race, background, etc. whether it be through an organization, a study group, or another reason. I don't think there is one particular background or type of student that is more prevelant than another. Students vary from financially sound to students who are on full scholarship, from Latinos to Japanese, from outgoing to introverted, etc. That is one of the pros to such a large school, students from all different backgrounds and personalities.

Greek life is very popular on the UTK campus. We have many social sororities and fraternities as well as service sororities and honor societies. Intermurals are also a very popular activity. Other than that, UT offers almost any activity you can think of and if they don't offer it with enough support you can get it started. There are tons of campus events that do and do not involve drinking. This weekend for example, Friday night I went to a friend's apartment for a small get together and then and Saturday night I just had a girls night watchin movies with close friends.

Even though it is a large school, not all your classes will be huge. Some of my classes have had less than 25 people. Professors for the most part know your name, and in large lectures they make themselves available for help through office hours. Lecture classes are sometimes my favorite classes because you can usually always find someone to study with or who has taken the class before to help if you are struggling. I think education at UTK prepares you for the real world. It is geared toward helping you get a job. They encourage hands on experience, such as internships. It is fairly competitive because there are so many students many times a lot of students want to participate in the same activity or are going for the same internships. I feel that UT's academic requirements adequately prepare you for a job, atleast in my experience.

No, It is not just a party school. It is a great school academically and is fairly hard to get into, and the classes are not a joke. We are very into our sports teams, but the focus is other places as well.

UT is a party school. Classes are easy. UT is all about sports.

Allison

UTK is a very diverse campus. I think the student population is fine, except for the lack of parking and classrooms since Glocker is under construction. I spend most of my time in the library or dorm. Personally, the faculty at UTK are very accomodating and helpful- I feel welcome at office hours anytime. There is a TON of school pride especially this year and our mens basketball teams successful season. I will always remember my first UT football game in Neyland stadium freshman year. There is nothing like 107,000 UT fans cheering the Vols on to victory.

I believe there are groups for just about anybody on campus, regardless of background. However, I think it is necessary to get involved at UT to enjoy it as much as possible. Most students wear casual clothing to class- like sweatshirts and sweatpants. I feel that our environment is laid back for the most part and comfortable. Most UTK students are from Tennessee however I have friends from Maryland, Virginia, California, and other states. To me, UT consists of a variety of financial backgrounds, but mostly middle class. Also, our political views are very diverse, with groups to accomodate each belief. I know my friends and I discuss our future careers/ salaries because we need motivation to study!

Greek life and SGA are very popular at UTK. I'm a Delta Zeta and enjoy spending time with sisters and volunteering locally. Sometimes girls leave their doors open in the dorms but only when they arent studying. Athletic events are VERY popular and important to many students. My closest friends are the girls I met freshman year in the dorm and my sisters. Some people party every night, some on the weekends, and some never party. Greek life is popular, however there are many service fraternities also. There are so many organizations that being greek isn't required. On a Saturday night, I usually hang out with friends at one's apartment and just relax after a stressful week (not drinking).

I make it a point to talk to each of my professors. I feel this is important so they know I care about the class. My favorite class is genetics because I love biology and enjoy lab work. Organic chemistry is my least favorite because it is very difficult and my professor does not make it any easier. The majority of my friends are very studious and care about their futures but also know how to have fun at the same time. My major is biology with a concentration in microbiology. I have the awesome opportunity to work in my professors lab in the microbiology department as an undergraduate research assistant. I try my best to attend office hours atleast once a week to discuss tests or quizzes, or just to get help in general. I believe UT is becoming more academically challenging each year which will benefit the students in their future careers.

I think UTK is like most colleges- you can find a party if you are looking.

katie

--The best thing is location-- I love that it is in the mountains. It is so gorgeous here in the spring and fall. --I would change how centered it is on partying --I think it might be a little big but I like that though --They react in different ways. The funny thing is, is that most anyone else that has gone to a different school in the south hates us just because we are rivals with pretty much everyone, but we pretty much have more spirit than anyone else. But people who didn't go to school in the south think it's great that I go here. --I spend most of my time on campus either in my room, at the BCM, or in Panhellenic --Knoxville is most definitely a college town --I love UT's administration --Controversy.. hmm.. I think the crime on and near campus recently --School Pride? Are you kidding? It's ridiculous here.. We are ALL about the school pride. There's a reason people hate us-- because we LOVE our school more than anything --One experience I'll always remember: mission trip i took with the BCM last year for spring break

-- There are definite divisions between religious and other groups on campus.. it's really sad how divided the campus is --A really religious student might feel out of place; but the school is so diverse and large that pretty much anyone can find people to hang out with --most students wear tshirts and jeans to class --different types of students dont really interact all that much --most utk students are from tennessee obviously, and then majority are from nashville and memphis, and then some from chattanooga and knoxville. --all financial backgrounds, but you dont find many REALLY rich students here --pretty politically aware; left right and center --students never talk about how much they will earn; most are focused on partying now than where they will be after they graduate

huge party school; rednecks; annoying fans

--Some professors know my name; I think this year maybe two out of six know my name. So not really good odds. --Least favorite class: Chemistry or Anthropology. Both were just horrible and the teachers didn't seem to care. --Students don't study that much --In Class participation is usually requested but the majority don't participate --Most unique class.. Philosophy --I do spend some time with a few past teachers outside of class. But not many actually care enough to get to know you. I was just lucky to have some really good ones here and there. --I dont think it's geared towards either. I think it's just to get a major with a title on it. I don't think it is very specified to certain jobs and that a lot of the classes are too generic for some.

--most popular groups are the greek groups --i'm involved with baptist collegiate ministries; it is the most welcoming, friendly place ever. i probably wouldn't still be going to UT if I hadn't found the bcm. it has become my home away from home. --students in the dorm don't really leave their doors open, except on the sorority halls --Athletic events are insanity. You haven't seen a college sport until you've been to a UT game. Everyone on campus is at the game on Saturday. And you can hear Neyland from miles away. --2am on Tuesday I am watching tv --traditions: Vol Walk, Vol Night Long, Torch Night, Homecoming, AllSing, Carnicus --People are partying pretty much 6 out of 7 nights a week. --I would say sororities and fraternities are not completely important but are definitely one of the major ways to get involved --Last weekend I hung out with a few friends, worked, and studied --Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking..... go to dinner with a friend? go to a movie? go shopping? sit and watch tv.. Not much. --Off campus: movies, shopping

all but the redneck part. and we are proud to be annoying fans!

Lindsey

The best thing about UT is EVERYTHING! It is full of great people, awesome football, and many oportunities. I would definitely add more parking because it totally blows! The size is perfect, its pretty big but it becomes small very fast, once you make your friends its much easier. People love that I go here to school. On campus I'm usually in my dorm or the courtyard outside it or at TRECS. There is tons of school pride here! Everyone LOVES THE VOLS!

A lot of people believe that UTK is a huge party school and that no one is really here for an education.

Greek life I would have to say is the most popular organization on campus. Sororities and fraternities are excellent ways to get involved and meet a lot of people, not just within your own but others through greek events, mixers, and philanthropies. I am a Delta Zeta and absolutely love it. I'm also a member of freshman council which I would definitely encourage anyone interested in student government to apply for it! My closest friends I have met through my sorority.

Some professors will take the time to get to know their students. But if you are in a 400 person lecture hall they obviously won't know you unless you make them know you.

For some people, yes, but for the majority of this campus NO. Yes, a lot of people on this campus go out and have a good time but they also know they are here primarily for an education. They can handle staying home a few nights instead of going out to study for tests or write papers.

Amy

The pride people have for the school is the best thing. If I could change on thing I would get rid of the construction and add more landscaping. It's defintely a college town within a city.

Girls wear pearls and Wallabe shoes everywhere here, which is the complete opposite of Maryland (and the north in general) where girls are most commonly in messy-bun hair styles and sweats. Most UTK students are from in or around Nashville, from my experience.

i would said overall they are somewhere accurate, although there are some people who abstain from the partying and don't care about sports. and the school makes a good effort to create diversity through the I-house, and other similar programs.

Most of my professors do know my name- it's another thing I love about UT. Students may going out and party alot, but I think in general people study really hard here. Class participation is definitely common.

Sports club teams are really common; rugby, lacrosse, etc. Greek life is also pretty big. Dorm room doors are often open. Sporting events are a top priority. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm facebooking.

no diversity, party school, only care about sports

Carolyn

Our school is just the right size and right place to be. At first, the school seems amazingly huge and as though every building is miles away from the rest, but after a short time, the campus becomes small and everything is relatively close. People react very differently when I tell them I go to UT. Most have that typical response, "Oh! I bet you have lots of fun." The majority have the stereotype in mind of the party scene and not so much on the academic side. one of my favorite places on campus is actually the library. Our library at UT is more than just a place to study. It is a major hang out spot for all of our students. Honestly, when I go to the library, I socialize and hang out with my friends sometimes more than I actually study. Our college town has an orange and white atmosphere everywhere one goes. UT has an enormous amount of school pride, which is lead by our strong and efficient administration. Our chancellor and deans are very active in all aspects of campus life. They have a genuine concern for the well-being of all students and their interests.

Our student body is very diverse and open to anyone. We have over 200 organizations and activities that anyone could find multiple things suited just for them. Some of the best experiences I have had here at UT have been meeting random students around campus. I met people through Greek life, intramurals, class, going out on the weekends and mainly through routine things I do everyday. Different types of students interact all the time at UT. Even though a majority of our students are from Tennessee, we still have a large amount of out-of-state students and students from outside the U.S. I have heard foreign students say that they tend to end up all hanging out together. Students from other countries live with other students from outside the U.S., so to some extent, they are forced into a group of their own.

I feel as though many students look at UT as a "redneck" type school. People from outside east Tennessee and more specifically, the state of Tennessee, view our school as a southern, country institution. Some could view UT as not very diverse or lacking in cultural and ethnic diversity. Most importantly, and the most wide-spread belief is that UT is a party school. Apparently we do nothing except party, get drunk, and go out.

Greek life holds a dominant force on our campus. Although it only makes up a little less than 20% of the student body, over 80% of leadership positions on our campus are held by Greek members. I am very passionately and actively involved in my sorority. For me, it incorporates academics, athletics and philanthropy all with a fantastic group of 150 other women. I met some of my best friends at school through my chapter. Likewise, the most dominant force is athletic events. All of our sports attract large crowds, but our football and men's and women's basketball teams help to unify and loudly support UT. Our athletics have revolutionized the university and also established numerous traditions that have been here at UT for countless years. A game day in Neyland Stadium surpasses a game at any other stadium in the SEC or the country as a whole. The partying scene just depends on the individual. If you want to find it, you do not have to look far. However, if you do not care to party or go out at all, there is so much else to do. Last Saturday night, I stayed in with a bunch of girls that I live with on my sorority floor to watch movies and eat pizza. Going out is not essential, although it is fun. UT offers $1.00 movie nights and very cheap bowling in our University Center.

Academics are no "cake-walk" here at UT. We have a rigorous class schedule for all students. One of the biggest complaints that I have heard about the university is the difficulty in advising and graduating in four years. We have specific requirements for general education classes that are built into each major that lasts the first two years in school. If you change your major after your first year this can cause problems with graduating on time. Advising can also be a very challenging thing. Students must assume responsibility to meet with their advisor as many times as they need. Keeping up with your class requirements is very important at any school, but even more so at a school the size of UT. A few of my least favorite classes include: Geography, Anthropology and Statistics. My favorite classes besides Journalism (my major) classes include: Psychology, Spanish and Public Relations. The Journalism department is a very exciting one at UT. We have many school television programs and our own radio station. UT prepares you for the job world and offers fantastic internships and opportunities outside and within the university.

No. All three stereotypes are inaccurate. UT, of course, has its fair share of southern students, and yes, some are very southern. However, this is not a dominant force on our campus. Our school is extremely diverse and has students from all over the United States, as well as students from other countries. Last year, I met random guys, including one from Africa, just by playing a pick-up game of soccer at our exercise facility. Lastly, we are in college and every school is a party school. It is true that here at UT the partying may be more out in the open, but that does not mean that every student goes out the majority of the week and is not concerned about their classes.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.