Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Brown

What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Well it still is an issue, but safety in Fort Sanders. I'm not sure that there have been evident changes made and I think that lots of people have just tuned out, which is sad. The Fort has a lot of potential to be a nice, unique area to live in Knoxville. As a student I feel bad for homeowners who are going to continue living here when there is potential for conditions to get worse over time.

I think that Sport Clubs are a pretty big deal on campus. They seem to reach out to a lot of different people (fans, and participants). Its more fun to watch when you know the people playing and they're doing it for more of a competitive fun vs. they got paid to go to school here and play a particular sport.

Yes my professors know my name, but seeing as I have a class of 20 and my professors & classmates never change that isn't really an epiphany.

Some things are, but I definitely have friends who are participating in greek life who don't fit this description and as an Art student Ive come to find out there's so many different kinds of people who consider themselves artists. And yeah, Ive met a few true free thinkers/hippies in the past four years. I consider them to be inspirations for us all.

We're from the south. UT and the overall state of TN gets stereotyped in general. For students Im not really sure, there's your typical sorority girls that everyone thinks about (usually blonde wears pearl earrings and has a pastel lacoste polo for every occasion with Vera Bradley bag to match). Frat guy about the same without the vera bradley, and ray bans instead of pearls. Thats only the Greek stereos, I really couldn't say much about the student body as a whole. Art students aren't all liberal hippies thats for sure, I should know. *note: all statements are not to be taken personally just as observation

Richard

the best thing is the sports whether it is football or basketball i love them all. i could have gone to georgia for free with the hope scholarship since i am from there, but eversince i have been born i have bled orange. i would change the parking situation it sucks. and tuition is really high. when i am on campus i am in class or at a sporting event or in the TREX. Its not really a college town past the strip. i dont know anything about the administration-which is probably a good thing because no news is good news. the biggest controversy was something with the president. i have tried to have conversations about it but no one seems to really agree to what he has done. it seems to me that know one really knows because everyone i have talked to has heard different rumors. there is a lot of school pride especially now that the mens basketball team is doing so well. nothing seems unusual. beating memphis in basketball. frequent complaints: parking the new grading policy student sitting in basketball games.

i am a white straight male so i cant really say. most student wear t shirts and jeans very casual. most student i would say are middle to upper-middle class. i am politically aware and active but most arent. mostly conservative. yes

some do. not freshman or sophmore year but junior and senior year is better. favorite class international law and international relations with professor prins. he was amazing. students are not competitive in my classes. i am a legal studies major (which you dont have) and i love it. i love my classes especially political science. no i dont spend time with professors outside of class. our current academic requirement are ok but i dont know why i would ever have to take anthropology and geography if i am going to go to law school.

we are a party school but we are very educated.

party school. that we are stupid and less educated.

Nick

Best thing about utk is the sports/ downtown life/ to small/ they think i'm redneck/ sports facilities/ knoxville is nothing but a college town/ na/ i dunno/ lots/ not really/ first time running through the T/ parking

i've been tryin to go to FCA on a religious standpoint but other than that i just go to class/ none/ casual clothes/ yeah alot/ there's really alot of different tables/ tennessee probably/ middle class/ yes/ right/ not really

Real southern kids that are all from tennessee

not sure/ play football and its a pretty big group/ never/ very/ kinda not really/ not at all/ its pretty prevalent bc most people have boyfriends or girlfriends/ high school and football/ studying most likely/ homecoming/ alot!/ really important, greek life is huge/ stayed at home and rested up from the week before/ see a movie go out to rt's (you dont have to drink there)/ go home

some/ my favorite is probably spanish and least favorite is accounting/ alot/ yeah/ not really/ kind of but not really/ career development/ majoring in business and just waiting to get in so don't know a whole lot about it other than the prereq's/ nope/ they're fair but not too hard/ gettin a job

The best thing about UTK is its school spirit. UTK is definitely just right in size, not too big , not too small. When I tell people I go to UTK they ask about athletics. Knoxville is definately a college town, I mean we are walking distance from the Bars! Not sure if it is the biggest, but the safety concern off campus is a big issue for me. There is definately a TON of school pride! I will always remember the first time I went to see a game at Neyland Stadium, no one could had ever described to me how huge it really is!

Depending upon the class and the size, some professors learned my name. It is a tie between my two least favorite classes, Western Civilization and U.S. History. Well judging on the amount of students that are always in Hodges Library I would say studying is a pretty common thing around here.

On-campus living is very involved and there is a wealth of nicer off-campus apartments. Knoxville is a city built around a huge university. The school is downtown, making the scenery spectacular and bars and restaurants accessible. Although UT is downtown, the area surrounding it is a whole different world with its own apartments, houses, clubs, bars, restaurants and cafes. It is community oriented as well. During football season, 3/4 of the Knoxville population piles into the stadium and its surrounding parts to tailgate. Football time in Tennessee is certainly something that cannot be explained. It has to be experienced. Out of all of the other SEC football games I have attended around the South, UT has the most passionate fans, revered traditions and energetic atmosphere.

Knoxville is located in the heart of the Bible-belt. Unfortunately, some UT students and community members have radical views and racism is still a big issue. However, UT offers several programs and groups about diversity, cultural integration and international experience. Several of the schools at UT have international outreach programs. These programs result in a large number of international students from around the world that choose to study abroad at UT. Therefore, it is hard to feel like a minority due to one's race or religion. Most students come to class in casual clothes, jean and t-shirts. However, the 8 a.m. classes usually see sweat pants and messy hair, but that is not frowned upon at all.

While UT has its party goers and wild greek life, it also has some of the most enriching education providers. Upper level professors' resumes are beyond impressive. There is also a wonderful library that boasts the newest technology and cozy places to study. As for the energy on game days and stand-out athletic teams, that's just icing on the big orange cake.

UT is a very large university that boasts an array of tailor-made graduate programs and research opportunities. Most of the classes are large, making teacher-student connections hard. This is not a school to go to if you tend to slack off or need to be accounted for. The professors are very hard when you get to upper-level classes. They are not going to e-mail you if you miss class, and late work is not forgiven. It is a challenge if you make it a challenge. Many people go in with a party hard mindset and fail miserably. You have to be responsible and diligent to attend UT because there are a lot of social activities that surround the university.

UT is a party school, and fraternities and sororities run all student activities. UT students are sometimes seen as irresponsible and wild.

The greek community is a big deal on campus. However, if this isn't for you, there is a variety of different groups, from the Bluegrass lovers club to the fencing club. Sports is everything at this university. Football games days are holidays in Knoxville. There is always something to do on Friday and Saturday nights, even if it is just going to one of the bars on the edge of campus. On the weekends, one can here students' laughter and party screams throughout the entire night. In spite of all of this, UT actually has great educational outreach programs that host an array of famous and noteworthy speakers. Students have a choice of several events that they can attend each night of the week.

While fraternities and sororities are abundant and large, they do not run the student activities and not everything is catered to these greek organizations. It is true that UT is a party school, just go to any home football game and the smell of beer and liquor is evident on about 3/5 of the student attendees. However, while UT does have its wild students and parties, it also has some of the most focused and intelligent students and faculty members. There is a very obvious line between the students that come to UT to party and the students that are there to get a college education.

Evan

I'll always remember watching the UGA fans leave early both years that I've been here, as we beat them in Football. The roar of the stadium is life-changing and inspiring. School pride here is completely polar opposite of home, where basketball season in the spring unites the students. Here at Tennessee, football fall weekends bring the city to life and pride of the state shows truest. I spend the most time on campus in the fraternity house, with my brothers, whom I have learned to confide in, as well as the very same people who motivate me to acheive and lead around campus. The administration hates the greek system, though we have multiple chapters on campus that are the best in the nation for their particular chapter. I feel like the days of great greek life is over, as it has been invaded by media and by liberal ideals, and it has steadily gone on a decline since. However, lingering traditions within the greek community remain. Greeks rule the campus, and UTK has done a fine job in producing great alumni from the greek community. The strip makes it feel like there is very little near campus, but the fort makes up for it. Bomb threats scare people, but so does change.

Most people I deal with are not in the minority. UTK lacks diversity, and doesn't do a great job of encouraging interaction with the minority student body. Most students wear school colors around campus, however the greek community has a good image as far as dress code goes, but then again, keep in mind the liberal/artsy crowd that dress in an eccentric manner.

Some professors know who I am, some don't. I hate sciences, but love spanish and math. I study quite a bit, but get things done ahead of time so I can play harder. Class participation is uncommon unless provoked by the instructor. School of business can't retain any of its advisors, so I don't know who has my life in their hands anymore. I think that the school's entry requirements are increasing, putting us ahead of UGA when educational value and sports are compared.

Greek life, SGA, and SAA are most popular on campus. I'm in a fraternity. It is the best thing that UTK can offer, even above education and athletics. No one I know leaves their door open unless they're in it. Football and basketball make the population of Knoxville double. Nothing is better than a tailgate on a saturday, and you'll never have a chance of bleeding orange or seeing it bled as much as a gameday in K-Town. Guest speakers are rarely advertised, and don't attract major audiences, but they are relatively popular speakers. My closest friends were my pledge brothers, and the girls i've met during my time here, in sororities. If I'm awake in the early AM hours on a weeknight, I've either been to a date party or in John Hodges, ha, the library. Greek life owns campus and is one of the best in the nation. Alabama and Ole Miss, as well as UGA are all completely overrated. The plain truth: no one can party like a Tennessee Vol. I went on dates and went out with friends last weekend, as well as saw a jam band concert. I go hang out with buddies and kick it off campus, but I live in the fraternity house.

Extremely liberal for SEC southern schools. Very traditional sports program, very heavy drinking, very big party scene. Underrated educational system because it is overlooked and replaced by party scene and sports.

Alex

One experience you'll always remember: Alternative break trips. You immerse yourself in community service with students for a week. The diversity among you brings you together. I've worked with african refugees, sprayed homes for mold in New Orleans, visited the Kentucky Derby, and will soon be leading my own trip to an undisclosed location! It truly is an amazing experience. Student complaints: Too much construction and an unsightly campus.

- I attract quirky people. Therefore, I feel I've had a lot more interaction with individuals who are more diverse than I am. I originally joined a sorority when I came to UTK. I disaffiliated because I felt like everyone was a cookie cutter image of the person next to them. So, I began to participate in organizations like Team Vols where the person next to you is a different race, religion, ethnicity, etc. Diversity is here, but it's somewhat shadowed. - I would feel out of place at UT if I wasn't involved in anything. - Lots of studnets wear sweatpants and shirts. I personally dress up a bit more because I have a lot of clubs and events I attend during the day. - Different types of students interact outside of the Greek setting. I feel there is a lack of diversity among individuals who are in greek fraternities or sororities. Classes are diverse as well as other clubs and organizations on campus. - I dont really like the dining hall question. I personally eat lunch with different people all the time. Younger, older, different color, or race. I also eat by myself, you see a lot of that too. - Most UT students are from TN especially Knoxville, Nashville, or Memphis. - Middle class backgrounds are most prevalant. - Students are definately political. Groups are constantly set-up on the pedestrian walkway to increase awareness about environmental issues, government issues, labor issues, etc. - In the Greek system I'd say predominantly conservative, but I feel our campus is making a move towards a more liberal environment. - I think earnings is constantly on our minds, if not why would we come to college. But, I dont feel it is a major topic of debate at all.

Rocky top you'll always be home sweet home to me!

I think a stereotype about UTK is that you have to be Greek affiliated to participate in certain organizations on campus such as SAA or SGA.

Although the stereotype isn't completely true, there is validity. Generally individuals who are members of greek organizations are more involved on campus, but I think it is because they want to be. It is much easier to get into organizations if you are Greek, and I think it is discouraging to some students.

- SGA is big, Student Alumni Associates, Team Vols service club, SPEAK, christian organizations such as Young Life or RUF. But there is pretty much any club you could ever dream of including a cardboard club where they play games all the time. - I'm very involved in Student Alumni Associates. We serve students past present and future. WE get to work the skyboxes during home football games, attend banquets with the president, chancellor, and important donors, and we get to talk to highschool seniors who may attend UT one day. We also deliver cakes to students around campus and are involved in the adopt-a-spot program where we are responsible for keeping the area around the tyson alumni house clean. - RAs encourage students to lock their doors for safety reasons. However, we rarely locked ours. But, we never kept it wide open. - Atheletic events are huge if it involves basketball or football. - Our Clarence Brown theater has amazing plays such as Guys and Dolls that are constantly changing year round. We have nobel prize winning speakers, speakers from around the globe, and generally each academic college has speakers unique to their field of study. - The dating scene is abundant. At least I date, a lot. Generally people hangout in groups and grab pizza or see a movie. It's a fun, casual atmosphere. - I met my closest friends through involvement in organizations on campus. It's funny how I've grown apart from my high school friends and now hangout with people from all over the US. - If I'm awake at 2 am on Tuesday I am either cramming for an exam in the library with a cup of Starbuck's strongest brew in my hand. - Torchnight, Vol Walk, Aloha Oi, Homecoming, Volapalooza, UC Late-Nighter - Fraternities and sororities seem like the center of the universe during your freshman and sophomore years. But, after that you forget we even have them. I highly recommend not joining a greek organization based on personal experience. - Last weekend, I went to a concert, yonder mountain string band, at a local venue close to campus. Saturday, I went to dinner with some of my ASB team at the Tomato Head in Market Square, and then saw a local band at the preservation pub also in market square. Sunday I studies, cooked dinner, and watched a movie. - Go to the dollar theater, eat ice cream, play board games, sit by the river at volunteer landing, play frisbee in world's fair park, go to the t-rec and workout, participate in something going on in campus, dinner in the old city, go to a concert...the opportunities are endless. - I generally eat, shop, and socialize off campus.

In my upper level classes, my professors know my name, but in my lower division classes with more people they don't. Professors are a great asset. They can get you jobs, internships, and even graduate positions. They are knowledgable, funny, and worth getting to know. Favorite class: My HRT 445 class. We started a restaurant in the University Center. We have no tests or papers, our grade is solely based on the success of our project. So far I've been on the news and we've had numerous articles written about us. We get to plan the menus for guests and take care of everything from making desserts to seating guests. Least favorite class: My vitamins and minerals nutrition class. I have a difficult time understanding my teacher and she reads directly from the powerpoint. I never recommend skipping class, but I always skip hers because I learn more on my own. How often do students study: I can only speak for myself, and with 18 hours, I probably study at least 20 hours a week. Class participation common: I've found that science or business classes don't generally provide and interactive environment. All of my english, communication, journalism, hotel restaurant and tourism, history, and anthropology classes have. It's really great when you have a discussion because it's much easier to talk amongst a smaller group of individuals. Intellectual convos outside of class: Definately! I talk over coffee about traveling, books, national public radio, music, politics, etc. I love going to the golden roast and cozying up with a warm mug of coffee and speaking my mind and opening my heart to other's opinions. Competive environment: I don't feel it's a competitive environment, especially not in comparision to high school. Unique class: Once again, my hotel restaurant and tourism class was my most unique. It was wonderful to be able to take all of the knowledge about food costs, spreadsheets, menu design and planning, and apply it. Not many students can say they've managed their own restaurant. It was a great experience. Major/department: My major is nutrition, and my minors are hotel restaurant and tourism and journalism. I am actually more involved in my minor departments. I write for the online journalism website. My articles are Eccentric in the City, Cheap Eats, and Around the World in Knoxville. For HRT, I write a nutrition article for EVA magazine, and I hope to have a graduate position in the program after graduation. I dont' spend time with professors outside of class other htan working on projects with them such as the EVA magazine article or the Tennessee Journalist. UTK graduation requirements: I wish we had to take more liberal arts requirements for nutrition. I'm not sure if I'll be prepared for a job, but it's what you put into it. I'm passionate about my future so I research a lot outside of class and build opporunities for myself that will set me up for success.

Laura

The best thing about UTK is the array of opportunities available. As a large school, there is a club, an organization or an activity for everyone. However, the size of UTK is a double-edged sword. Sometimes I think UT is a little too large. You will not know someone in every class. You may even go a whole day walking around campus without seeing a familiar face. When I talk about UT, most people are impressed by its size and its stadium. From the outside, this is what most people focus on when looking at UT. I don't spend a lot of time on campus. I spend most of my time in the surrounding areas, like the Fort. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding UT's administration recently. However, I am of no opinion on the matter. There has also been a great deal of controversy surrounding Pike, one of the more popular fraternities. Three of Pike's members were hospitalized with Staph infections after allegedly going through severe hazing. Pike was in trouble on a national level, and as far as I know, the chapter has been suspended. UTK is exceptionally hilly. You will get a workout just walking around campus. However, UT has a really great free transportation system. If you don't want to walk to class, just hop on the "T."

I honestly don't think many students would feel out of place at UT. Every student can find his/her niche. Students who have never been around excessive drinking may be slightly uncomfortable, but even that side of UT can be avoided if so desired. Most female students wear sweats or jeans with Ugg boots to class. Dress is very casual, and you will get dirty looks from other girls if you wear heels to class! Male students just wear t-shirts and jeans or polos and jeans. Most UT students are from Knoxville or surrounding areas. There are a lot of students from Nashville. The majority of UT students seem to be from middle to upper class backgrounds.

While a number of UTK students aren't out-of-control partiers, the stereotype is fitting. Most UT students do their fair share of drinking and won't say no to a night out. And, yes, UTK is definitely an all out sports school.

In some of my smaller classes, my professors know my name. There are some extremely large classes where it would be impossible for the professor to know students on a first-name basis. I've had classes with hundreds of students. My favorite class was my English 102 class. Each English 102 class has a different theme. My class was called Gender, Sexuality and the Body. At first, I was intimidated by the topic, but my teacher made us all feel really comfortable discussing such awkward topics. She allowed us to debate and talk amongst ourselves, which was both challenging and entertaining. My least favorite class was a math course I took. My teacher was incredibly boring and the class was on the Hill in Ayres. Ayres is notoriously hot and walking all the way up there was not exactly pleasant. I haven't found the academics at UT to be overly challenging.

The football and basketball teams are extremely popular. When I lived in the dorms, it did not have the communal feel one would expect. Everyone sort of kept to themselves. My suite mates wouldn't even really talk to me. It was not the open-doors lifestyle often associated with dorms. Athletic events are huge. Although students get free admission, you are not guaranteed a spot because of the huge demand for tickets. You have to go wait in long lines to get tickets. I knew a lot of my closest friends from high school, but have met a lot of people at parties. Fraternities and sororities are by no means the majority, but they do have a noticeable presence on campus. On a Saturday night if you don't want to drink, there are lots of free music events in downtown Knoxville. Knoxville has a lot of restaurants, too. Last weekend, I hung out with my roommates and went to a rugby party at an apartment complex.

Although there is no single stereotype that applies to UTK students, they are often described as heavy partiers. However, this is a stereotype applied to most college students, not just students at UTK. UTK is typically seen as extremely sports-minded and less focused on academics.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.