The University of Tennessee-Knoxville Top Questions

Relatively accurate. You are in the South, you are at an SEC school. There are bound to be those types of people at ANY of the schools down here. However, there is definitely a large counterculture here. It is, after all, still the State flagship school.

In most cases no.

I'd say about 65{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} correct for the former and 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} for the latter.

Definitely not.

Yes, aside from the team being any good.

Several students do just go to college to party, but there are also several who are there for their academics. It is possible to have a great college experience without being drunk and partying all the time. College is an amazing place that opens up several doors for students, socially, academically, and mentally.

Chelsi

There are lots of people that think sports are the most important thing about UT, and there are lots of peole that party a lot. But there are also many other activities and clubs on campus that have little or nothing to do with either. You can have a great college career without the party scene. Although, going to several different sporting events, especially football, is a great experience that is unique to UT.

Quinn

see above.

no.

there are a lot of wealthy people that come here, but you don't feel like a number at this college big college, but a small town feeling

Sports by far have seemed to be a focus for the school with most new structures being sports facilities when there is a greater need to more sufficient dorms and classrooms.

Joey

Yes and no, refer to the first part

Not at all! UTK is such a huge diverse college. I would have never expected to meet as many people as I have with similar tastes, etc. And I believe that UT is a VERY intellectual and smart school. The university offers so much, and in my opinion, its the best choice for an in-state school.

Tate

Not at all

No, I have had aquantances that applied to UTK as a backup school and they got denied or waitlisted, due to the competative application process.

No, definitely not. Academics are always the main focus.

Not to all students. There will always be parties where there is this many kids.

To a degree most everyone i know parties

Carla

I would say no more than any other college campus.

erika

to a degree

not at all...there are always two sides of the story

definitly not...i think there is only a small portion compared to everyone else that actually parties

Josie

No.

None of them are. I feel that I have an active social life, am a member of a sorority, and go out on weekends, but all in moderation. I have good grades, and honestly on most days during the week the library is much more full than the bars are. Yeah, there are hardcore partiers, but every college has them. One reason I love UT is that there IS always something new and fun to do, BUT you have to know when to get to work also. About the football one: I don't like football, and I feel that I manage just fine knowing and caring nothing about it. Class size: Not at all. Though I am an art major and class size is generally kept tiny, the majority of my classes are 30 people are smaller. And even if they are large, most teachers will help you if you just ask.

Tate

to an extent

No

No

For the most part, no. However, there are students at UTK, just like at any other university accross the nation that are simply enrolled in college to go out and get drunk. However at UTK, I tend to spend quite a bit of time in and out of the library and everytime I go there are tons of other students there as well...so it is either students simply going to "hang out" at the library or there are a lot of students that actually strive for academic success. And for the athletic programs, yes most students do dream of that magic time of year...the fall when we can enjoy tailgating before football games and also our basketball programs are very strong...the Lady Vols just one their 8th national title!

Sometimes it is but those kids just end up failing and having to leave

Kristine

Heck no! Some of us are actually here to learn.

The school is big but, with all the campus organizations and involvement, I never feel like the school is too big. Yes, its college, students are going to party, but there are many other things one can do.

Ellie

For some yes and some no. It depends on who you are.

no, the academics are challenging, people often perceive this because there is always something to do

They are accurate about a percentage of the students, but not the majority.

no, not all students party throughout the week. In fact, I've made more friends who refrain from drinking.

This stereotype is pretty accurate for the most part.

Julianne

Only on game days

Jane

No

There is a large aspect of partying on campus, but that doesn't make the students all drunks. The students are also not rednecks.

Somewhat, sometimes.

Not everyone parties all the time. UTK is a lot more based on academics than it seems.

Some of them are

no. We are into sports, but that is not what we are all about. Students do like to party, but not all of us drink, and those that do don't drink hardcore all the time. I always see students studying and even miss parties to do well in their academics.

no!

No

NO!

I unfortunately think that these stereotypes are accurate.

NO!! They just think that we are from the South and that it automatically means that we are country-bumpkins!

Ariel

To a large extent, but obviously not always.