The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Most professors know my name because of the intimacy of the art department. In art classes, participation and attitude basically make up the majority of your grade because it's not necessarily the product, but more the process you go through to get there. The graphic design program/art studios in general is VERY competitive. Everyone is always feeding off others' ideas and it's really like it's own community within the community of UTK. Working on campus is a good idea. I work at The Daily Beacon and it gets me job experience in a field I am interested in, but more importantly I made contacts that will be useful in my future of graphic design. I would recommend getting a campus job to anyone. Having a boss on campus is a VERY useful contact when applying for scholarships or future jobs. I feel that the majority of the conversations I have with my acquaintances (not so much close friends) is about class. My favorite class thus far has been my ENG 102 composition class. I enjoy writing, but I also liked the discussion in class and the readings assigned. Outside of class I rarely ever see professors, but I have always had successful email responses from any teachers I needed to contact.

The professors do generally know my name, aside from the lecture classes, which have 60+ students at a time. My favorite class is my German class because it is taught by an awesome professor. Students tend to study frequently, and it is necessary to do your homework to pass your classes. However, the larger the class, the less students that actively participate. Students don't really compete for grades. Rather, they merely focus on raising their own. I took a Freshman Seminar class about Artificial Intelligence that allowed me to integrate into school much more effectively than those who didn't. For language classes, there is an opportunity each week to go to a coffee shop and speak in that language with multiple professors and other students in order to further immerse yourself in the language. Depending on your major, the school can be geared towards getting jobs or simply learning. The business school essentially trains students to get jobs while the majority of other majors do not.

I have my really big classes, and then i have my small classes. If your in a big class, then its up to you to get to know your professors and TA's on your own. But they do make themselves available through out the week by there office hours and email. Plus there are many tutorial centers for a lot of the academic departments that you can turn to if your professors are not giving you the help you need. My major is a little bit unique here at UTK. I'm doing Elementary Education, but at UTK you can not major in it, you have to choose it as a minor and pick another major from the College of Arts and Sciences. I choose Psychology. The reason for this is bc the Education program is a 5 year progam, and your 5th year is spent student teaching. Its considered your "graduate year". The cool thing about this program is if you take an additional 12 hours of grad school you can earn your masters degree. Also,this program makes your so much more marketable when it comes to getting a job.

I make it a point to get to know my professors because my classes are rather small since I have declared a major within a small department. I love anatomy and exercise physiology classes...classes dealing directly with my major. I hate English courses past 101 and 102. Students study however much they need to, I guess...for me that is everyday. Class participation is not common, but intellectual conversations outside of class are. Students might be competitive, but my friends help each other out. Unique class: I took yoga once with some football players-that was funny! My major is awesome :) It focuses on health and human performance. It looks at exercise recommendations and what needs to be done to prevent the onset of disease--I want to become a physical therapist! Academic requirements are so, so...education is geared to getting a job and learning.

Classes are large, but professors are still helpful, but YOU must make the effort to go to them. They have alot of students so they cant come to you but every professor that has been good, has been extremely helpful. I've had a few professors that are wonderful and I've learned from and some are just awful, which I guess is to be found at every school. UT is becoming more and more competitive and so students who attend UT are looked at better than some other schools. UT has a hard curriculum, and students who graduate from here have increased chances of getting into grad school because grad schools know that those students have completed the challenging classes that UT has required of them.

Academics is highly regarded. Students are very competitive especially with the new HOPE scholarship allowing more and more brighter students an opportunity at receiving "free" higher education. I am an architecture major and I know that my program is very competitive. Just getting into the program is a hurdle itself with the requirements of a portfolio and good grades. Most of my classes are highly participation classes instead of lecture classes...which I am fairly fond of taking. I believe some of the general education requirements are there to provide "buffers" for the university to pad their ratings even more than they have to do.

Only a few proffessors know my name. My favorite class is spanish 212 with Jules Harris. She makes the class well worth my time. My least favorite class is calculus 141.. it is very difficult. It really depends on the individual student on how often they study. I know that i study about 8 hours outside of class. Students are very competitive. I've heard many intellectual conversations while riding the T. I don't spend time wtith proffessors outside of class. Utk offers many outstanding courses and help from career services.. so UTK is definately geared towards getting a job

I usually try to introduce myself to my professors, so they will know me. They cut you more slack if they actually know your name. College is pretty hard. I don't study as much as I need to, and I'm sure a lot of students are like me. I am so busy with my sorority that sometimes I don't have time to study. All sorority events must be attended, unless you want to be fined. Managing studies and extra curricular activities is tough to do. Sometimes I go to office hours when I am desperate for help. I'm an undecided major, but gearing towards business.

I think one misunderstanding of UTK is that we're not as greatly focused on education as some private schools may be. I went to Lehigh University, a private school in Bethlehem, which is placed among Yale and Cornell, etc. last year and transferred back home to Tennessee, here. Surprisingly, I found UTK to be just as difficult, if not more so, than Lehigh. A lot of students here are smarter than we get credit for and the education at UTK is the number one thing people are focused here, no matter what others hear.

some proffesors get to know the students, and some don't care at all. i like the teachers who actually take time to get to know the students and have a small number of students in their classes. larger classes seem to lack people because normally the professor is boring and talks the whole time.