The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

I think Greek life is a very popular option for a lot of students at UT. Of course since I am involved in a sorority a lot of people I meet are as well, but I think a lot of people join to get involved in a tradition and to meet new people, to get involved. I do not care for frat boys; therefore, my dating life has been fairly weak. I think frats/sororities are an important part of college life because there are so many activities getting people involved and a lot of fund raising for various philanthropies, which is important for students to be a part of. I met my closest friends through Delta Zeta and my room mate. I was lucky enough to get a random room mate that I'm IN LOVE with, so she is my best friend. She is in a different sorority so I have become almost an honorary member of her sorority, so I've been lucky enough to make twice the amount of friends. Students don't leave their doors open. This is Knoxville. We don't need invitations for rape or theft.

Greek life is a major organization on campus. I'm involved in the Greek system and I feel like it really pushes you to be more involved on campus than you would be if you weren't to be in the Greek community. Most students in dorms leave their doors open. It's a sense of community and you really become close to the people on your hall as the year goes on. Athletics RULE at UT. Especially football season. Basketball is coming back though. Game Day Saturdays are a must for UT students. Everyone wakes up and puts on their best orange attire and goes to cheer on the VOLS! In my opinion, that would be the biggest tradition to UT. I met my best friends in my sorority. I didnt know anyone when I came to UT and joining a sorority really got me involved and let me meet my future bridesmaides. There are lots of things to do off campus....shopping, eating, boating on the river, parks nearby, golf courses.

What did I do last weekend? We are very fortunate to have plenty of restaurants that have built up around the campus. Knoxville is a city built around the university, rather than a university placed in the middle of a city. We are also very fortunate to have plenty of movie theaters around as well. I went out to eat with a couple of my sorority sisters to Calhoun's on the River... which is the in the top three restaurants you must go to if you're ever in Knoxville. I later went to the movies with my boyfriend... and my friends went to see the same movie earlier. So later on when we all met up at a party we could discuss it. Plenty of the people were drinking, but a few of us weren't, and there was no pressure to drink, and there never is. People are nice to you and welcoming no matter what your situation and beliefs. Winner winner chicken dinner.

THe most popular groups are definitely Greeks. I'm in a sorority, we do tons of philanthropic events, socials, and keep UTK traditions alive. Athletic events are pretty popular: Can you say, it's football time in tennessee?! Dating scene: Crazy! I actually met my boyfriend in Chemistry class I met my closest friends thru my sorority People party pretty often around here. THere is always something going on. Traditions every year include Torch Night, Homecoming, Lip Sync, Carnicus, All-Sing, Boxing Tournament, and the list goes on! Last weekend I stayed in and watched basketball b/c I had pneumonia. You can do anything without drinking. You would actually be surprised at the number of people that DON'T drink-it's A LOT! THere is plenty of stuff to do off campus-Knoxville Ice Bears Games, camping in Gatlinburg, ice skating, shopping

The Greek community is huge on UT's campus--I am in a sorority (AOII) and am very involved and have held several different positions...I live in a sorority dorms and doors remain unlocked until we go to sleep. Dating Scene...it differs for everyone right--I have found myself dating within the Greek community. 2am on a Tuesday...studying. We have a good time...starting Thursday :) Frats/Sororities, important? You can have just as good of a time if you choose not to do one...but it's a family and you will never regret it. Last weekend-Carnicus!!! haha you wouldn't understand :) Saturday night, no drinking? Anything, go out and don't drink...no one is making you. Off campus--groceries, movies, shop for clothes and my pet, Gizzmo, eat dinner (Mexican) visit friends.

Greek life is very popular at UTK. I am in a sorority and i'm currently living on the sorority floor in Greve Hall because we do not have houses yet. I love it...everyone keeps there door open and there is always someone to hang out with. If i need something to wear, i have like 30 closets to choose from! Football games and Basketball games are very important, and definitely this year with both teams doing so well. There is a lot to do that doesnt involve drinking, you can go out to the strip and go dancing, you can go to the UC down under and go bowling, you can go see a movie. In west knoxville there is a 1$ movie theater, that i have been to often. You and your friends can go up to Gatlinburg for the weekend, its only an hour away!

Athletic events are the most popular events on our campus. With a stadium capacity well over 100,000..who wouldn't be excited about going to a football game?! I'm not involved in a fraternity and do not care to fit into that social scene. But most of the time they do provide respectful charity work to the area. There are plenty of opportunities to make road trips to Nashville to see a concert or go shopping in Atlanta or catch your favorite small band in Asheville all in a day's trip. Of course, the natural surroundings are also plentiful with the Great Smoky Mountains as a great backdrop to go camping, canoeing, or even just going to the mountains for a retreat in a cabin or chalet.

I joined a sorority this semester, and I feel like a lot of girls are friendly, but I don't really get to go to all the social events cause I have a job. Some girls leave their doors open, but I don't, and I don't think the majority do. Football is extremely popular, but I don't know about other sports. I thing basketball is also a big deal. I don't know about the dating scene because I have a boyfriend. I get out of classes early in the afternoon, but I stay up till about 3 every night, watching TV or reading, but usually talking to my bf.

Most students don't know the kids down the hall, which can be a good thing. Athletic events are super popular and there is always one to go to. My best friends are from my sorority, and I wouldn't say that you have to be in greek life here but it REALLY does help you meet lots of people and know what is going on. There are so many traditions on campus, and yes the people here like to party. You can stay in or go out either way it is fun. We are also really close to the smokey moutains and lots of outdoor activities

I think it is a great idea to have intermural sports so it gives everyone a chance to play or do something they love. It is a great opportunity to meet friends as well. People party every night, but that doesn't mean you have to. There are always going to be people who get drunk every night. You can still have fun without drinking. You can go see a movie, or go on a date, or even go to parties that have alcohol, you just don't have to drink any of it.