The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

The worst thing about the university is the lack of drive and motivation for post-graduate success that at least half of the student body has. Being a state school, there are many who attend to get an education and have as much fun as possible, when they don't realize the amount of amazing opportunities the university provides. It's hard to relate to a lot of students because of their different priorities. This does affect the school's reputation as a party school and a classic state school, and it's something that frustrates me about the school.

I think the worst thing on campus would have to be the negative attitude that much of the male population has towards the female population. You don't encounter it physically, but on annonymous social media like Yik Yak, you see it way too often. Females are constantly put down for not having sex with someone, or not pressing charges for accused rape or assult, and the such. UT is also focused on getting on to the Top 25 Public Universisities list, so they're tearing down many buildings and replacing them with new ones, so tuition is rising.

I just do not care for our chancellor. He is in a hunt to be in the to 25 universities as reported by U.S. News and World Report, and I feel like every decision is made for that reason. It seems that the school cares more about its reputation than its students sometimes, which seems oxymoronic. I think that a university that spends more time enabling its students to be more successful and independent will have a better turn out that would lead to reaching the university goals of being in the top 25 schools in America.

There is really nothing wrong at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. The only thing that many up-coming freshman and transfer students have a problem with is fitting in and finding that group of people to be with. Since UT is such a large University it is very possible to feel like a number, but by getting involved you can make the campus enviorment feel small. There are over 400 different organiztions on campus to get involed in including intermurals and Student Government Association.

The current affairs that have taken place at the University of Tennessee have created some negative press for the school. The arrests of the athletes from both the basketball and football teams have created a bad reputation for UT. Also, our football coach, Lane Kiffin, left the school very recently and has created more negative publicity for the university. The situation is very embarrassing as a student because I do the best I can to represent my school in a positive light .

At UTK, it feels like the administration is way more concerned with money than education. We get tickets for everything here and it feels like everything costs ten times more than it should. A parking ticket will be address before a grade issue. Your car will be towed before you can meet with an advisor. The thing about it is we rarely see what the money goes towards. Sure, new buildings are being built but only several months (even years) after the original scheduled date.

I'd say some bad things would be how crazy it gets on campus when it is football time. Since it is a football school, the other sports seem to not matter, especially the non-popular sports. When it hits game day - better leave or get here before the rush or you'll be stuck in traffic for hours! If you aren't a football fan, you may feel left out, but there are plenty of other people who dislike football. You won't be the only one.

The worst thing about the school is the impersonality of it. There are far more people than the facilities will allow for. For example, the number of parking permits the university sells far outnumbers the amount of available spaces. UT could be a far more enjoyable place to be if it admitted half of the students that it does. Of course, money is the most important thing--the college is a business, after all.

At the University of Tennessee, I consider myself to have adusted to college life better than I thought I would have. The campus is large, and so, sometimes, when you are leaving a little bit late for your classes, the worst part about the school is how far you sometimes have to walk just to get to class. The campus bus transportation is very reliable, but you have to catch them just at the perfect time.

I think the worst thing about the University of Tennessee at Knoxville is the fact that we have tons of concrete everywhere and nowhere for students to park hardly. Even if you do find a parking spot, it is very likely that their will be a parking ticket lying on your car when you return. I also do not appreciate the new grading system with the added plus and minus on top of grades.