The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Partiers

We're from the south. UT and the overall state of TN gets stereotyped in general. For students Im not really sure, there's your typical sorority girls that everyone thinks about (usually blonde wears pearl earrings and has a pastel lacoste polo for every occasion with Vera Bradley bag to match). Frat guy about the same without the vera bradley, and ray bans instead of pearls. Thats only the Greek stereos, I really couldn't say much about the student body as a whole. Art students aren't all liberal hippies thats for sure, I should know. *note: all statements are not to be taken personally just as observation

I didn't feel like there were any specific stereotypes associated with UTK students until I went to a conference this last weekend for orientation leaders across the southeastern states. The students at UT Chattanooga did not have good things to say about our campus or our students. They said that their school did not want to be associated with our campus, because our campus thought we were better than everyone else. None of the orientation leaders, who were supposed to be leaders on their campus, had great things to say about UTK.

Some of the stererotypes of UTK students include the fact that we are all really southern and hick as well as imcompentent. Most of the time that is not true, and there's a lot of people that come from northern states that attend here. A stereotype that I fell for when trying to decide if I wanted to attend UTK was that it was a school for "stupid people." In fact, the average ACT score for freshmen is a 26. The "Big Orange Screw" is another stereotype of people attending UTK.

I feel as though many students look at UT as a "redneck" type school. People from outside east Tennessee and more specifically, the state of Tennessee, view our school as a southern, country institution. Some could view UT as not very diverse or lacking in cultural and ethnic diversity. Most importantly, and the most wide-spread belief is that UT is a party school. Apparently we do nothing except party, get drunk, and go out.

That all we do is go out and party. Most students I know are more into study that the "stereotypic party school" we are made out to be. Also, people think that all the students do is watch football, we are a diverse school with excellent academics that also happens to boost an excellent athletic program. Overall, students I know that attend other schools seem to think that all we do is go out, get drunk, and act stupid.

People think UT is a very typical Southern school. They think it's very Greek as well as very preppy. We are ranked pretty high up on the Major Fraternity and Sorority Scene Schools according to Princeton Review. We also have a huge party school reputation considering we are always on the Top Party Schools list. Huge football school

A lot of people think that UTK is just a huge party school and that their students party every night and go out every night of the week and drink all the time. Also UTK is known very well for its strong Greek life, and so there are always stereotypes that go along with what people typically think of a sorority or fraternity.

Stereotypically, we drink a lot and we don't go to class, but of course there are those who feel UTK students help out the community through philanthropy events and environmental improvements. UTK students, as well as all college students, will always get discriminated against because of the lazy stereotype

UTK is considered to be one of the biggest party schools. ive been to my fair share of parties but i can also say that if you wanna avoid the party scene its really easy. people think if you come to UT then you party...not true. UTK students are pretty cool...i haven't met any one that i really clash with.