The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

I think the size of the school is consistent with a typical college population of not being too large nor too small. There is definitely a variety of people where the general population is accepting of most others. There are still some prejudices (being from the South especially). Knoxville is a growing city that has a lot to offer, especially in the coming years. There are more and more opportunities to catch live performances across the city. Sundown in the City is a large attraction Thursdays in the spring. UT is also a largely prideful school where athletics has excelled. You will hear about the "Big Orange Screw" when somewhere in the system you will no doubt encounter a flaw in the system of fairness because of the lack of consideration on the administration's part. Recently our Chancellor resigned (or was forced to resign---it was unsure of the whole truth) concerning whether the system of the flagship campus had control over certain things on our own campus-especially concerning athletics. Another concern that is being addressed is that amount of crime in a neighborhoos adjacent to campus where there is a high student population. Security issues have been addressed and changes are being made to incorporate more lighting and awareness in these areas. Another aspect of UT is the amount of construction is always ongoing. The completion of 3 large facilities will lead to more construction on campus as well as the future of "The Strip" is being addresses. "The Strip" is a highly commercial area that runs along the edge of campus where fast-food restaurants as well as clubs and some shops are located. This area is being reevaluated as a Gateway area to the downtown as well as the university.

UT is by far the most beautiful campus I've ever been on. Football season is the best part of the year. It's a tradition that everyone should experience. Since it's a public school, the classes are fairly large, but the teachers are still good about offering help if you decide to take advantage of it. Most of the time, when I tell people I go to UT, I get the "oh wow" reaction because from my hometown, it's about 50-50 on how many people who graduate go to college. And of those who do go to college, they mostly stay within an hour of my hometown. It's a real impressive reaction that I get. Most of my time on campus is spent in classes, or in the dorm. The library is a popular place, but I never can seem to get any work done. There's just too much going on there. UT is definately a college town. In the summer, Cumberland Ave. is deserted. UT's administration has its ups and downs. I've had some of the best professors here and learned alot from them, and then I've had a few who shouldnt even be allowed to teach at the high school level. Other bad aspects are...PARKING SUCKS. Its like a 1:3 ratio and UTPD loves to write tickets. No matter where you go on campus, you walk uphill. Which is hard to get used to at first but I've heard people say before that "tennessee girls have the best legs." So it can be a good thing. Some major classes are only offered like once a semester so that's like 200 students who can take that class when 1000 need to, which makes scheduling sort of hard. Other than those though, I love UT. Anyone who goes here develops a strong sense of pride. Rocky Top is annoying to everyone but a UT student and when it comes on, you can proudly say I'm a UT student...GO VOLS!

One problem I have with UT is parking (typical response). It is completely unreasonable, and I hate that I have to schedule my day and my plans around if I will be able to find a parking spot. I find that it limits me and the activities I am willing to participate in, and it shouldn't. The advising process is also unnecessarily stressful. Why should I have to go talk to 4 different people, who all say different things, to be able to make my schedule? It's especially bad as an art major because there is only one or two classes of each subject offered, so freshman like me have to go beg to be added to certain classes. It's annoying. UT is the perfect size for me. When I think about going to a school any smaller, I just don't think I could do it. UT is exactly how I imagined college: constantly something going on, tons of people I'll never see again, and always meeting new people and making new connections. One thing I love about UT/Knoxville's "college town" is the strip. It is very convenient that everything is within walking distance, especially bars so no one is risking drunk driving or anything stupid. The "T-Link" system is wonderful and has saved me a couple of times! The Strip is something I'm proud of because most college towns don't have an area within walking distance that can meet basic needs. All my friends are jealous we have everything right here.

Since UTK is so big, when I answer that I go here, questions immediately follow if I am active within the Greek community; Greeks are really big here, but I feel that a negative stereotype accompanies that notion and it is difficult to be associated with that at times. Overall administration at UTK is not that great, but it depends on the department a student declares his or her major. The Exercise Science department has a great group of faculty members and is an exception in my eyes. The biggest recent controversy/student complaints is campus safety; the UTPD focuses its attention on matters that should come secondary when looking to perserve safety. Several students have been robbed/injured this year on the Fort. School pride is AWESOME!! I love the ROCK, which UT is trying to get rid of...what! One experience I will always remember: Being apart of Torch Night my freshman year :) The strip needs to be cleaned up; it makes our university look trashier than it actually is. I spend most of my time in the library when on campus...I study ALOT!

The best thing about this school is that it is easy to hide in the crowd. If you're simply wishing to get away, there are multiple spots on campus that allow you to do that. There are three common complaints about the campus: One is that there are very busy roads dividing the campus into two halves, which detracts from the overall feel of campus unity. The second being an ugly sculpture right in the middle of pedestrian walkway. The third is lack of green space. I would change all three of these, and currently the campus administration is planning to do away with the roads and as well as plant more trees and such. The student body is too large for me, but for one who wants a large campus feel, it would be just right because the student body (being around 20,000 students) is small compared to other state schools. In fact, it is even smaller than MTSU. On game days, every single one of these students wear orange in support of their football or basketball teams, which is actually an incredible sight.

I love being a student at UTK. I love the atmosphere of the campus and the school spirit that is found everywhere. One thing i would change, would be the lack of parking. Finding a parking spot can become very stressful. Some people think that UTK is just too big, but really its not as big as people make out to be. When I tell people that I'm a student at UTK, i sometimes get that look like "oh, your a party girl" and it frustrates me, because i chose UTK for its Education program, not for the amount of parties i can attend on the weekends. I would say that Knoxville can be a college town, on game day you see orange everywhere. When I have to work on game days at the mall, people are shopping in there orange and white. Right now there has been a lot of controversy with the safety of UT's students but i think that the administration and UTPD is working hard to fix the problem.

Best thing about UTK: School pride and traditions One thing I'd change: More parking Size: Just right, it might seem really big, but its really just a small community. I see at least 15 people I know every day walking to class. Reaction to UTK: impressed College town: for sure Opinion of UTK's administration: Money hungry-they don't really take into account what is best for the students, only what's going to make them richer Biggest controversy on campus: the fact that not only are they charging us an activities fee in our dues, but also football games will cost us money beginning fall 2008 School pride: TONS! anywhere you go the walls are painted orange and white Most frequent student complaints: the fact that UTPD are more worried about issuing parking and underage unsumption citations than they are actual crime around campus.

It is a huge school, but I am in a sorority, which makes it seem smaller. I come from a small town, so everyone is amazed by the fact I go here. I spend most of my time in my dorm room studying, or out somewhere with my sorority sisters. Knoxville is most defenitely a college town; i love it right now, but I would not want to live here after college. UT's administration is fair; I have talked to really nice people and really rude people, but I guess you'll have that everywhere. I believe we have more school pride than any other school there is. Our sports are always expected to dominate, because that's what we are known for. There is nothing like going to a UT football game. Rocky Top is played at least 20 times, but it never gets old! Overall, I wouldn't choose any other school to go to; i love it here!

best thing is that the population of students is so large that i can make many friends! classroom sizes are great. In all my classes I've had about 25 students (with the exception of my science classes). I can not think of anything that i would change. My school size is just right. when i tell people i go to ut they say... o you must have a lot of fun! I commute so most of my time is spent in my classrooms; i do not study in the library. Biggest controversy on campus is the crime in the fort. I'm proud to say that i got to UT because the students represent our teams with extreme pride! The most frequent student complaints are that our campus is not that pretty. with the construction of many new buildings, i think that it is working its way up. I'll always remember the football games!

I love my university! The school is really big, but that is one of the things I love about it the most! When I tell people that I go to UTK for the most part they are impressed. I have always considered UTK to be the best university in Tennessee. Our biggest controversy on campus is safety because there have been alot of robberies and asaults on campus this semester. I defintely think that there is alot of school pride! The one experience that I will always remember is one of our football games this year. It was our first big home game of the season and everyone was expecting to lose, but nevertheless everyone was still cheering when our team ran in, I have never heard Neyland Stadium so loud.