The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Most frustrating about UT are its level of hypocrisy and dismissal of students' wishes. They push a "green" campaign, but pay to light Neyland Stadium 24/7, all year 'round. They pay to power the electrical features on a hideous sculpture erected in the middle of the Pedestrian Walkway just this summer. Students protested the highly inconvenient placement of the statue and petitioned that it be moved, even going so far as to create a Facebook group dedicated to the cause. Though the group blossomed, UT disregarded it and left the monstrosity where it perched.

The technology is awesome, but often messes up. For example, last semester we all used a wireless service that would sometimes just not work, or log you off the internet. So we had to change that, and this year it's much better, but now there are issues with our campus email service, so now they are planning on changing it. Technology issues are frustrating, but the school is usually on top of it by the next year. Also it's frustrating that my theater classes are all over campus because we don't have our own building with classrooms.

The University of Tennessee is an amazing school and there is very few things that frustrate me, but the one thing is not having enough seats in the student section at football game. We are paying thousands of dollars to attend this school and we all want to show school spirit by attending an SEC football game but it is hard when there is a very limited student section and we have one of the largest college football stadiums in the nation. The ambience of Neyland Stadium during a big game is worth the fight for a ticket.

The most frustration thing about the school is not being able to use dining dollars at the restaurants on the strip. If the university would work with the local restaurants and come up with some kind of deal to where students could use their dining dollars and all star money to eat at the restaurants it would make it a lot more convinent for students. Most of the students get tired of eating on campus all the time but don't have the money to eat off of campus.

Classes at Tennessee are in varying difficulties based solely on your professor. A P.E. class could be more difficult than an Engineering class if your professor is a tough grader, a bad teacher, or just an angry person out to fail every student in their class. It is frustrating to know that i recieved a bad grade in a class when one of my friends took the same class, with a different professor, and recieved an A, when I know I studied more than they did.

The Career Center is not as useful as most students would like it to be. It organizes career fairs and hosts workshops once or twice per semester which usually happen during hours when most students take their classes. Getting help with cover letters and resumes is worthless due to a limited knowledge of the staff. Inquring about internships and jobs was a waste of time to me because the staff told me to do my own research on the Internet.

Well, I am currently in the pre-nursing program; this is where you take 2 years of general education classes, and then you apply for the nursing program. However, since our school previously had to make budget cuts, the nursing program is only taking 48 students this year. I think this is awful considering that there are over 24,000 students at this university and that there is such a high demand for nurses.

Other than the money issue at UT there isn't much to complain about. I'd say the bus system is very flawed. There is an East-West bus and a North-South. There are 3 times as many east west buses than north south leaving certain students to stand and wait with the ONE north-south bus runs all the way around campus. It's an easy fix too, but UT is stubborn and it will not change.

I constantly am realizing how much our college has become more like a business and less like a learning institution. Students are pushed through the system, and at the end of four years are extremely broke with nothing to show for it but a piece of paper. Our administration doesn't care about students, just about becoming a "Top 25" university.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are not enough classes to support all the students in the university that are wanting to take the courses needed to pursue their major. This makes it harder to register for the amount of hours needed full time per semester and even harder to graduate in four years.