The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

I wish I would have known how much responsibility you need to be successful in your college courses. I have been so accustom to being guided through everything I do in school. But here, everything is in your hands. You have to know when and what to study. The professors are not going to remind you about anything. Nor are they going to make sure you make it to class. How you perform in college is completely up to you. I knew going off to college would make me more independent but I was not expecting the level of responsibility.

Before coming to the University of Tennessee, I wish I had known how much walking would be necesary for me to get to different parts of the campus, as well as how hilly the campus was, so that I could have been in better shape before the first day of classes. Also, I wish I had researched the classes that I was considering to take in my first semester prior to orientation, where you are expected to sign up for all of your classes on the second day. There are so many students and they can only help so much.

I wish that I would have known how expensive it was going to be. They have continued to raise tuiation evry year since Ive been here. I am at the point now where my scholarships do not cover it all anymore. I understand that college is expensive but I feel as though my school is constantly finding new ways to raise tuition. There is an immense amount of construction going on on campus rigth now, so I have to take alternate routes to almost all of my classes. It is actually getting kind of annoying.

I wish I had known about all of the different ways to get involved at the very beginning of school. On the pedestrian walkway at the beginning of school there are many different groups that set up booths for the students to come look at, but there are also a lot that do not set up booths, are often those were the ones that I wanted to join. I advise talking to your teachers about clubs, and also joining the ignite program here at UTK. It provides a great way to meet new people and get involved!

I wish I would've knownhow hard the classes would be. My high school didn't prepare me at all for college and lots of teachers are really unsympathetic towards that. I also have to have a full time job to support myself and teachers do not take that into consideration either, most teachers don't really care about teaching and the advisors don't care about your classes or giving straightforward career advice. I also had no idea that it would be so hard to make friends here without being a partyer.

I wish that I had known that I needed to let go of my insecurities. Coming here and meeting so many new people that I love has really opened my eyes to who I am, but it would have been a faster process had I come out of my "shell" the first semester, instead of waiting a couple of months. I also wish I'd known to get more involved in my major(since I knew what I wanted to do) my first year.

I wish I would known more about how to get involved. The campus sends out so many brochures that it's hard to find right where you belong because of so many activities. One thing is to check for application due dates before you even even start school and know that if you're rushing a sorority it's best to go in with recommendation letters for as many of the sororities as you can get.

I really with that I would have known how much work was really expected of me. High school did not really prepare me on how much you have to study and really how much outside of the classroom things you have to do. As a student I had to learn to study more as well as how to depend on other people through study groups to assist in studying as well.

I wish I ad understood the amount of studying required to succeed in college. I did not have to study in high school nearly as much as I do to succeed in college. My grades in my first semester in college were not what I am capable of because I did not expect the tests to be as difficult and in-depth as they are.

I wish I had known the true quality of some of the programs available here. I first cam here to be a music major with a focus on voice and opera, but discovered that the music department was not of the quality I had be led to beleive. I have since become a double major in Journalism and Political Science.