The University of Tennessee-Knoxville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Danielle

Loved it. The SEC vibe is so fun, living in a college town in the south near the mountains gives ample opportunity to explore city and back country life. 5 out of 5 stars across the board. My favorite thing was that even though it was a big school, over 20,000 students, there was always a fun club or group activity that gave the feeling and sense of community and home away from home.

Michelle

I am very pleased with my decision to attend the univeristy. I love everything about the campus and school life. From the walk to the classes to the sports events, I am proud to be a student at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. I came for their academics and stayed for the community.

Charlsey

Overall, I believe it is a great school. The academics are incredible, the faculty are amazing, the campus is beautiful. The faculty stand out the most to me. They are highly experienced, have great education, and are passionate about teaching. Faculty also create an environment that challenges students to think and grow.

Anna

it rock

Donta

It is a great school to attend. It is a great school for academics for the fact that UT has alot of different fields for whatever you like and the proffesors are pretty good. On the other side, the parties and sports culture is amazing. Theres nothing like it.

Vrinda

I am excited to join UT as a freshman! It seems like an excellent fit and has a great and positive atmosphere. I went to the orientation and had a lot of fun making new friends and getting an opportunity to see what college life would be like. It was also amazing to see how many resources there are to help a student’s academic career and campus engagement opportunities as well.

Aliyete

When I visited the school the tour guid was super sweet. They showed us all around the campus, and it’s beautiful museum. We went through years of history. Not only was the campus clean and nice to look at it, the school had amazing academic programs. However there was no culture. When we walked around the campus there were only two types of races.

Jesse

The University of Tennessee has wonderful academics but don't expect much help in the financial aid department from this school.

paige

For the most part, I believe that it is an overall good school They have safety features throughout the campus to make students feel safe. The dorm I lived in was very clean most of the time, and I did not have many problems. Although, I feel the college does not provide students who need help with finances enough scholarship opportunities. There are many places to eat, study, hang out with friends and much more. As far as educations, I have had teachers who cared very much about the students and some that seemed like they were just there to get their jobs done.

Collin

The college is a nice place for pursuing a career. The location is a beautiful place. Along the river and near the mountains. The community and sports is a major character at the College, they have a thing called a "VOL NAVY" where they run boats down the river by Neyland Stadium during Game Day. The accessibility is incredible. Campus is fairly big and has plenty of businesses inside and around the Downtown Knoxville area.

Chelsea

The university puts far too much emphasis on useless courses and the "popular" crowd. It's like a more expensive high school. I have wasted two whole years worth of classes, that will not count towards anything, due to poor counseling and being pressured into majors that did not suit me by the staff. I have to go an extra year, with no scholarships, pursing a major I essentially am doing just to get the hell out of there. Honestly, I feel sorry for the incoming freshman on tours-- they don't have any idea the mess they are about to become a part of. If you aren't in a Greek organization, a wealthy family patron, or on one of the sports team, they don't care about you. Do. Not. Go. Here.

Jacob

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Destiny

Like everything else in life, there are pros and cons. UTK definitely has more pros than cons. The facilities are state of the art, the professors are from top schools all over the world and available at all times, the services are spectacular, and the overall student body is fantastic. The couple of bad things are more than bearable when you assess everything good about UTK.

Jared

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville is a great place to learn. I have been enrolled since Fall 2018 and have been able to grow and prosper here. The college atmosphere is not hard to handle here in Knoxville, where people are accepting and allow all ideas and backgrounds to be accepted. The greek life here is also one of the great aspects of the school, where I was originally form Colorado and attended CU Boulder, where the greek life there was dominant and if you were not in the system you were a no body. Overall highly recommend attending Knoxville because the experience is something you do not want to miss.

UT is a great university that I have been fortunate to attend for the past semester. In my time here, I have learned that students that don't even know each other will go out of there way to help others. It makes me want to get involved more in student activities where I can assist others.

Brianna

UTK is my dream school. It has pretty much lived up to my expectations with some hiccups. It has been generally difficult to make friends (I have made 2 in the two years I have attended) because the social scene is not too friendly if you don't fit into either of the ends of the social spectrum (i.e. greek or geek). The classes, professors, campus, and everything else are great though!

Emma

I think the University of Tennessee is a great school. One really important thing to note about UT is how there are so many ways to get involved on campus. No matter what your interests are, there is pretty much everyone can find something they feel comfortable getting involved in on campus. I recommend UT to all my younger friends who are looking at potential future schools.

Kaylee

When I was asked the question, "where do you plan on going to college?" I always answered, "UT." I honestly don't know why, I had plenty of opportunities to go to other schools on athletic scholarships, in and out of state. But I wanted to go to UT. I did not even take a tour of the campus before I came, I just knew I would love it. I am proud to say that UT did not disappoint.

Mika

Being a student at the University of Tennessee--Knoxville has been an amazing experience for me. Most students I have met are those that want to succeed and care about school. UTK cares for their students success and they continuously provide new resources for their students to thrive academically, professionally, and even socially.

I have to be honest, when I first decided to to to The University of Tennessee--Knoxville I was a little nervous. The campus is big, it is busy, and there are a lot of different paths. To an incoming freshman this was a little daunting, but there were always people there to help. I love going to The University of Tennessee--Knoxville. Everyone is incredibly friendly and I really feel like I belong. I could not imagine myself with different people at a different school. Every time I am on campus I talk to someone new, and the food we have access to is off the charts. While I do not live on campus due to financial and personal reasons, I do not have to live on campus in order to feel connected. There is always Tutoring available and when there is not an ideal time for me to go the teacher is always willing to meet. I have also made friends that know how to help. We are planning to group study for tests, which is really a valuable way to strengthen friendships and class grades. When I go to class I am given the attention I need to really learn what is needed, and if I ever have questions they are answered with extra detail. I know all of my instructors, their school lives and personal lives, and they are constantly encouraging us to get involved. With them supporting me I feel like I could do anything. Maybe I will go abroad, or internship, or even double major. The University of Tennessee--Knoxville is truly a lovely place that helps students reach their goals.

Austin

Friendly atmosphere, always able to find things to do in my free time! Knoxville has a big sports culture, as well as, an outdoor culture. On occasions, you will have a large class size in an auditorium, but those are lectured classes, in most of your more classroom scenario it usually 20 students to 1 teacher. The faculty is also always willing to help and have very flexible office hours. Overall it is a really good school, and you will never find yourself not knowing what to do with your free time!

I love UT with all my heart. The campus is beautiful and well kept. There is always something happening on or off campus, therefore, there is no excuse not to be involved. They are constantly updating on-campus housing as well in order to have the best available for students. Football season at UT is amazing. The atmosphere in the stadium is unlike any other.

I really like the University. It has challenged me in many ways academically and socially. The facilities are very nice, and a lot of money has been spent to make it the best it can be. I love all the surrounding areas such as downtown and everything on Kingston Pike. There is a lot of drinking on the weekends which can get annoying, but it is also very easy to avoid. Greek life and all other extracurricular activities are very prominent on campus, and they are very easy to join. Overall the campus is beautiful and supplies all the materials needed for a great education.

riley

They have good financial aid. I enjoy commuting and don't feel like I am treated differently because of it. My three major complaints would be that the Professors always have an agenda, I have too many TAs, and I always feel like the University itself is trying to find a new way to take more money from me. The parking and transit office is particularly unhelpful and hateful, out to get you wherever they possibly can; it makes me feel very unwelcome. I will say that the faculty of their English department is fantastic, as are the administrators who work for OIT, the library, and OneStop. In those facets of University life, there is always someone happy to help.

Bridgette

I couldn't have made a better decision when I enrolled at UTK. The school spirit that is present on campus is spread throughout the entire city of Knoxville and especially on game days. I had never experienced school spirit before and it really opened my eyes to how easily I became part of something.

Destinee

It is an okay school. I adore my engineering diversity family but I wish that the school as a whole was more inclusive. Having KKK rallies on campus isn’t exactly sending the best message. I have realized that the big part to this school is finding a group of people that share the same interests as you if you want to be treated equal

Abigail

The campus is very much a tight knit community. There is always something to do, including a lot of volunteer opportunities. Security is also something that is great around campus. There are call/emergency boxes within eyesight of each other so you can run and slap one and keep going to the next so security can follow your trajectory if needed. I felt at home at my first visit.

Alexander

The University of Tennesse has to be one of the worst campuses I have ever visited. As someone who comes from a city which is full of diversity, this is a definite change. Not only do they not provide any scholarships for minorities, which Miami-Dade college a much smaller college does, but they also have no inclusive extracurricular activities for the masses. Fraternities have been raided by officers for huge possessions of cocaine, yet none of the fraternity members that attend the school were arrested or held accountable for their actions. Also, not only do you have to pay for a parking pass but if you are in the gym parking lot on campus, which is a commuter parking lot, and are seen walking away from your car you will be fined for parking there and not using the facilities. This school should be ashamed of what it stands for and the faculty staff members that are aware of the corruption and stand behind these people.

Alexis

I feel that the University of Tennessee at Knoxville is a great school. There are a lot of different clubs that are easy to find and join. The atmosphere around campus is very welcoming and group oriented, but there is also opportunity for individuality. There is also always something fun and new happening on campus for students to partake in.

laeken

I think that The University of Tennessee- Knoxville is a good school. During the coronavirus, they showed they cared and that is something that is important about a school. They realized that it was a hard time for many students, so they tried to help many people.

McKenzie

The University of Tennessee Knoxville is going to be my home beginning in the Fall 2019. I will admit, the reputation that the school has isn't entirely great and it can be classified as a party school. I have a lot of friends that have gone and encouraged me to visit before knocking it. Once I visited UTK on Big Orange Preview Day, all of my concerns were gone. The tradition and spirit and campus were definitely for me. The programs I got to visit and talk with really opened my eyes to how involved and intentional this school was. The Public Relations program I am going to join is 4th best in the country! And the people I met were outstanding citizens that welcomed me with open arms. I will not deny that there are some people who are there for the wrong reasons, but I believe that it takes a few good people with their heads on straight to turn the reputation around and show the true honor of being a Tennessee Volunteer at UTK! GO Big Orange!

Justin

I have enjoyed my experience at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville overall. I am a die-hard sports fan; so right away I was captivated by the overwhelming sports culture on this campus. The campus technology is noticeably advanced and available in all facets of the day-to-day student life. For example, students have access to Macs, PC's, printers, scanning machines, DSLR cameras, and even recording booths in the library. The campus has felt very safe to me and my friends. None of us have reported feeling at risk of being harmed at any time. One thing that could be improved is housing. For me, housing is great. This is only the case because I stay in one of the newer residence halls on campus. Not-so-coincidentally, this is the hall that gets shown on tours. My experience has been wonderful; however, my friends have reported numerous issues while staying in some of the older residence halls. Overall, I have very much enjoyed my time at this university. Its unique sports culture is a big reason why I love being a Vol.

Jayla

The University of Tennessee in my opinion is a great school to elevate your communication skills and education. The school provides great opportunities to interact with your piers in and out of the classroom. In the class most of the teachers promote student interaction through group projects, class debates and a flipped classroom structure no matter what subject you are taking. They allow students to voice there opinion outside of class by giving us the option to join or create our own clubs and create or join showcases that take place in our student union. Anything from performing arts to business and education is allowed . Having this option and sort of demand to be sociable with one another grows our communication and networking skills that we will eventually need to communicate successfully in life with whatever journey we choose to go on after college. The university of Tennessee not only provides great communication skills but they also provide resources for you to succeed in your education. The university accommodates you with free tutoring and other group study sessions for each class that you are enrolled in to make sure that you understand and retain everything that you are meant to learn. Each professor that you have also has office hours were you can schedule to speak to them one on one if needed. If you feel that not enough for you the university includes academic coaches that will speak to you 3 times each semester to make sure your grades are at a good standing and you are on track to graduate. I personally like that this is provided because the transition from high school to college overwhelmed me and they were there to speak to me and help me manage my schedule. Overall I believe that The University of Tennessee is a great school to go to because they provide you with all of the resources you need to succeed and go further in life you just have to use them. I feel that I made the perfect choice when I chose to go there and I wouldn't change it for anything. Go Vols!