The University of Tennessee-Martin Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Tennessee-Martin

Kiara

The University of Tennessee-Martin is an exceptional place geographically, academically, and community based. Geographically, this campus is located in Northwest Tennessee, in a rural, agriculture based community. Academically, Martin has multiple opportunities for study abroad trips and hands on learning opportunities! The professors are very approachable and want students to succeed. Being located in a small town, Martin is very community based. There are multiple opportunities to get involved in and to help support the community. If you cannot find something here to be apart of, then you must not be looking!

Janiera'

I used to live on campus and I enjoyed my stay there. The housing was decent, the staff was polite, the campus was clean and safe. Now, I attend a satellite campus and my time here is just as enjoyable. The instructors are always available to help, the campus is clean as well and my schooling here helps me with my achievements. Any recommendation I have for students interested in this school is to focus on your aspirations and let the University of Tennessee-Martin help you with the rest.

Caitlin

It is a great place to feel safe and focus on learning. The class sizes are wonderful when getting to know your peers and professors. At night, the campus is a little scary and could use a tiny bit more light. But, other than that, I believe that UT Martin's campus is exceptional.

keiyonna

I love the college. The things I love most about the college is that it is close to home. Whenever I need something or if a family member cooks, I can just drive home and get whatever I need. Or if I just want to visit. I love that the campus is small and everything is close by. Also the town is town so it reminds me a lot of home

I love UTM so much! I knew when I toured that UTM would be the best college for me. I love the small class size. On campus housing is amazing! I love that we don't have to go anywhere to wash clothes or do the dishes, I especially love the dishwasher. Another great thing about the on campus housing is the balcony. I like to keep the screen door open on beautiful days like today.

Carlton

it's great to be a Skyhawk. just like life, college is what you make it. its great, the people are extremely nice and it just a homey feeling the campus gives you. this is one of the best campuses to attend to help you convert from a high school to college. it's even better than the teacher to student ratio is like 1-16 which is very helpful

Mieki

University if Tennessee-Martin is a close-knit school for those who want to get personal with their professors and the student body. As an incoming freshman, I have been nothing but happy to join UT Martin for the close knit community and resources that are always available.

Brooklyn

"the safest campus in tennessee" won me !! such a cute little town

Olivia

The University of Tennessee at Martin is a great place to receive an education. The professors really care about you, and you are more than just a number. I chose this school, because as cheesy as it sounds, it was my home away from home. the campus is beautiful and everyday I am greeted my the friendly faculty and staff. we are encouraged to be ourselves at UTM and we have such a diverse group of young adults on a small campus. Don't let the small campus fool you, the academic programs, travel studies, and extracurricular activities are outstanding here. I would recommend UTM to anyone thinking about attending college.

mercedes

At first coming to Martin, I didn't feel like I would fit in. It was mainly due to the fact that Martin was a very small southern town with a farm and I was a city person born and raised in Buffalo, NY since eighth grade. Even when I had moved to Tennessee, I moved to a part that wasn't even country, it was more of a military town. However, walking into Martin I realized how many people felt the same, in that I grew friendships. Also when I needed resources like how to get more involved in my major the professors and councilors and even my new friends helped me. When I had doubt in my ability here, the professors uplifted me and gave me word of encouragement. The campus has so many facilities as well that are open for long periods of time so that whenever a student is stressed they can go there. Students are able to find their safe spaces here like mine is in the library where it is quiet. Martin is a great place to be for any student who feels alone and like they don't belong, it is good for students who need to establish a relationship with professors and peers, and it's a good place to destress with so many councilors and facilities. Come on down to Martin. You won't regret it.

Christian

its a nice small school small enough that the classes are small allowing teachers to be more personable and more helpful when needed

Kaitlyn

I love being here because UT Martin is the right campus size for me. Even though Martin is a small community, there is a lot of school support from the community. It is always safe and you can usually find things to do. I love living on campus and being at UT Martin.

UT Martin is a wonderful and beautiful campus. Over my past couple years here, Martin has quickly become my home. Professors are always willing to help and there are countless other curricular help around campus. I recommend UTM to everyone I know! I would not go anywhere else!

Erica

The University of Tennessee at Martin is a wonderful school. The campus is beautiful and the people and workers are extremely helpful and friendly. The professors are very helpful. It’s a fantastic place to to go school and get an education because it’s in a very safe area and very close to most people’s hometowns that live in West Tennessee!

Hunter

Dollar for dollar, by far the best academic choice in the mid-south. The university offers a variety of academic majors for both undergraduate and graduate studies. The campus is immaculate, and student safety is a priority. The staff and faculty are attentive and supportive of each student's specific needs.

Tashauna

It's a fairly small large school that's pretty tightlt knit and it has a great relationship with the rest of the community and it's safe and in general the campus is friendly. It is unfortunately not very accessible to the disabled, but there aren't long distances to get to building around campus for class. Housing can be quite nice, and there are enough events to keep students active and communicating.

Ethan

It is an all-around good campus but can use better food in the cafeteria.The Cooper hall is very good in keeping the bathrooms full of toilet paper. The main lobby is always in high spirits and will answer any questions that anyone asks and they are never rude to the asker.

The school is alright. The professors encourage student participation and inform them of opportunities to be involved with the department as well as off-campus opportunities. Pricing in the area is ridiculous, though, especially on campus. It makes it difficult to be a college student on a budget.

Laina

The campus is relatively small which is extremely helpful because the odds of one getting lost on his or her way to class or being late to class is nearly impossible. Moreover, the class sizes are small which means better teaching and more personable moments in class. Overall academically, the university is amazing and has very passionate teachers. The food and extracurricular activities, on the other hand, need a large amount of improvement.

Andrea

It's a great campus, and everyone is so pleasant and the professors are generally willing to help you out if needed. The staff is so nice, and seem to generally care about the students. It is a bit annoying that to really get involved with homecoming week you have to be Greek, but overall I love the campus and community even if it is small.

Jayden

I will be attending the university in the Fall of 2018, and I believe this is one of the best colleges I have visited. The campus is the perfect size with a wonderful student to teacher ratio. There is a major for everyone, and each program is accredited. The housing is beautiful and updated to fit modern specifications. The sports programs are outstanding, and the school is know for having much pride. I am excited to be a Skyhawk!

Kiersten

I love it. The small class sizes, and the facilities available at the students disposal are fantastic. The people are amazing and are always willing to help. There is a lack of things to do in Martin itself, but the University compensates for that by holding lots of campus events.

Sydney

A great school with faculty and staff that show a genuine interest in the students. Always a safe and welcoming environment filled with great resources to thrive academically. I love the experience I am receiving from the school, I always have something to do and be involved in, and it is easy for me to focus on my career and dedicate a lot of my time to my studies.

Gabrielle

UT Martin really knows how to present themselves well. They praise themselves and set their standards high. They live up to every expectation. They do not falsely represent themselves at all. It is a genuine school that is interested in you education. The staff really cares. They don't just come for work and do the least expected of them. They go out of their way to help you. They are friendly and caring. If you have any problem at all, just ask for help! They will not turn you down. Instead, they will provide help if they can. If they don't know the answer, then they will find another staff member that does. They don't just brush you off like your problem or question doesn't matter. They help you find a solution or answer.

Daniel

I love the University of Tennessee at Martin. The campus is beautiful and the faculty and staff are both supportive and caring about your education and your future. All the students are friendly and the opportunities both for achievement and extracurriculars are endless.

Diamond

I’m a visitor of the school who will be going there in the fall. Just from the tour of the campus it seems to be a nice comforting school. It’s not too big and it’s not too small. Of course you have the people on campus who do things they aren’t suppose to, but that’s anywhere you go. Overall most people do what they’re suppose to and I’m sure UTM will be the perfect fit for me.

Catherine

I am a transfer student. This college is much smaller with a lot less that my previous college (Murray state). I would definitely recommend Murray over UTM. UTM has very little when it comes to school sponcered events. Murray has some really good performances from famous singers. UTM does nothing of the sort. UTM is a little smaller but it seems like they focus on roadworks more than anything.

Courtney

The University of Tennessee at Martin is a college like any other. It offers academics, like it is required to, and other activities such as clubs and sports and campus events. Unfortunately, a college is a business, and at the end of the day all it really cares about is making money. The college certainly holds those who have money to spend as priorities and those struggling to attend like burdens. They will help you, begrudgingly, and you will have to be resourceful and quick on your feet to make sure you are not being lowballed by mismanagement of your funds from a range of deceit to simple mistakes. For all of it’s business practices, the college does take in a wide variety of students at a lower than average cost, for a four year university.

Jordan

This university being my first home away from home, my parents and I were both beyond satisfied with the on-campus housing, and meals provided. Students, professors, and other university staff members all treated me with the upmost respect. There was not one situation during my freshman year when I felt as if I needed help of any kind and could not get it.

Kam

UTM is a "suitcase" school. Many of the students go home on weekends and some even go home on weekdays. The campus is always dead and there's nothing to do on the weekends. The cafe closes early on weekdays and weekends and the food is so so.Also the housing department is horrible. I had to move five times just so I could have a roomate and I ended up having to live in the freshman apartments which I did not intend on living on because it costs extra to live in them. This is not a traditional university, I do not recommend going here if you want a good college experience.

A

I was nervous about college because we were new to the area, I did not know anyone, and had no idea what to expect. UTM offers an amazing orientation day that I recommend to anyone attending - it was there that I learned about many doors that were available to me. I jumped in trying a few campus offerings, found what worked for me, made friends and have had a great experience since.

Michele

Great environment to learn and grow. The advisors are attentive and want you to succeed. The campus is small, however it is very pretty with lots of tall trees and interesting buildings. The small town atmosphere is a great setting to make you fell at home.

Morgan

It is a very same and friendly environment. I always feel like I have plenty of sources available to me to study and learn to the best of my ability. Although I am not used to living in such a small town, I wouldn't change my decision of attending the University of Tennessee-Martin due to the fact I feel more welcome there than I do at home!

Kendrick

Martin is some what the college a person would look forward to attending. The major downfall is that the community is so boring. Its not nearly anything to keep a student occupied outside if the university. However, on campus activities are honestly what you make of them.

Leah

It is a great school! The class sizes are excellent they are small enough to get that one on one experience with each professors. The professors are always very nice and willing to help a lending hand wherever needed, they are also available at most times if the day either in person, email, or text.

Agok

My experience at the Univerity of Tennessee-Martin was great! Martin is a small town in Tennessee so there is not a lot in the town, but the things that are there are hidden gems! I was a student-athlete so I got a feel for both sides and I would have to say that this university does a superior job with their academics and they truly care about their athletes! The education I received was worthwhile and I truly felt connected with the athletic community there!

Brianna

Welcome to a place of peace and relaxation! Surrounded by nature with everything within walking proximity it's a place many students love to have as a temporary home. It's such a welcoming place even families around the community come to dine with the students! If that doesn't say welcoming and safe then I don't know what does! Not your average cafeteria food, but always know that you can and will get full. It's not too big nor too small, and if you want to get on the road other cities surround the town with an hour to two hours traveling distance. It is a college town, so it can get boring on breaks when majority of the students leave, but students who stay off campus will always be there to entertain you! There are very supportive church members, if you go to church, who will take care of you to ensure you are enjoying your school year! Crime occurs but it is extremely rare and unheard of. I am 100% sure that the law enforcement officers enjoy their career considering there is not much that happens other than a few parties that they will monitor. It's very diverse, fun, and friendly. If you don't like noisy cities with high crime nor cities with only one store and the rest is farmland, then you have come to the right place!

Claire

The University of Tennessee at Martin is a very small safe campus. They have a very nice recreational center for practicing or just hanging out with friends. The campus also has security officers that can walk you to your dorm or class if, for any reason, you feel unsafe. The dorm rooms are very nice and you have three different choices! The Chancellor is very friendly and strives to meet every single student on campus.

Terrah

Like it. Glad I'm Going here. Beautiful campus, older dorms small bathrooms. The on campus apartments are really nice.Biggest small campus in West TN. Friendly staff in admissions. Greek life can get crazy if you aren't careful. More should attend the football games.

Claire

University of Tennessee at Martin is my top choice school mainly because of the size of the school. Since the school is on the smaller side you get to know more people there and the professors get to know you and can offer you help based on how to learn and how you prefer to study. The campus is also a very safe campus and they offer many on campus facilities from the upgraded rec building to the state of the art classrooms. This campus is one of the best schools in my opinion.

Jericka

It is a laid back place where you can provide for your family as well as have a safe environment to work, learn and grow. It is a place where you can meet new people and learn cultural differences. You can learn to love to country atmosphere as well as meet people from all over the world.