The University of Texas at Dallas Top Questions

UTD is an awesome school. It is not as party-go-riffic as say a bit more cool nerdy-like, but it gets the job done as far getting the college life experience. It offers great financial assistance to first time students and has great STEM-related major programs. It may not be the BEST in Texas but UTD is great school with good ideals and value. The campus is bigger than it looks ,believe me, there's a good walk from point A to B to keep you in shape and the weather is cool as cucumber when Spring comes around, I liked my stay at UTD, I was as comfortable as a cat on a windowsill. Pace yourself with the schoolwork and club activities and you'd enjoy your stay.

K Kishore

My university is one of the best universities, you have the independence to choose subjects, and the faculty are also friendly and they help you in the any doubts you have regarding the career or studies. The size of the school is just right, but i am afraid the size increases every year.

Estefany

I love the school. It's relatively small, but they're continuously making it bigger for the growing student population. But the students are friendly, the professors want you to succeed, the reputation of this school is good. I love going to UTD.

Xiangyuan

It's a very good school to study.

Nancy

I am just starting Spring 2015

Chunlei

UTD is an amazing place to go if you are an aggressive guy. The school provides sufficient resources for you to utilize to guarantee you can find a satisfied job. It locates in the famous Dallas city, Texas, with a moderate grassy campus. You can always tell your comfortable experience when being consulted.

Samuel

What's the best thing about this school? The best thing about the University of Texas at Dallas is its scholarships. Many students apply to UTD as a safety school and end up attending because it offers a lot of full-ride and partial scholarships. What is one thing you would change? I would definitely like to see UTD move up from Division III to Division II athletics and start the process for getting a football team. While that's the most significant change I'd make, I would also like to have fraternity and sorority houses on/near campus. Is your school too large, too small, or just right? UTD is definitely just right if you're an "average" student. Most of UTD's competition is other public schools in Texas. I believe the average student has more opportunities at UTD than UT Austin because the school is smaller. Likewise, the University of North Texas, Texas Tech and Texas Tech may provide more social opportunities (and football), but has lower ranked academics than UTD in most fields of study. Where do you spend most of your time on campus? I spend most of my time in the McDermott library, the Activity Center (gym), and my fraternity's off-campus house. College town, or "what college town?" Richardson is definitely NOT a college town. The city's population is dominated by families that live there for its proximity to Dallas and lost cost of living. UTD is involved in the Richardson community, but it isn't the only thing in this city which has been described as the "Telecom Corridor." All the good bars are at least 10 minutes away in neighboring Addison or Dallas. However, there's a lot of good entertainment in Plano and Dallas. What's your opinion of this school's administration? UTD administration is pretty forgettable. It won't affect your time here in any meaningful positive or negative way. The police department is definitely overbearing, though. Is there a lot of school pride? Unfortunately there's very little school pride. That's part of the package deal when you don't have a sports team for the students to rally around.

Samuel

Myles

The best thing about this school is all the opportunity that it can provide if your active and if you network properly. I have had legit internship opportunities already and I am only a sophomore! The only thing that I would change is the Thanksgiving break schedule, it is too short. The school is the perfect size, it has a big campus feel with small campus benefits. I spend most of my time hanging out in apartments as do most people who live on campus. School pride at UTD sporting events is low but people usually take pride in attending this university. This is a very unusual school it won't be your usual college experience but youll enjoy it nonetheless. I'll always remember the soccer games that I played in. I am a UTD Student Athlete. Frequent student complaints include parking and test difficulty.

Courtney

The best thing about UT Dallas is the variety of classes they offer. One thing I would change about UT Dallas is the class sizes. It is not uncommon to have more than 300 students in one class, and that professor to have multiple classes. The University itself is not too large, the classes are. When I tell people I attend UTD they automatically assume I am intelligent. I do not live on campus, so most of my time is spent in the class room. The UT Dallas administration is horrible. The advisors couldn't care less, the dean of students suggestions and advice consist of deal with it. They are a complete pain to deal with, and then rude when you finally are able to talk to them. There is no controversy on campus, the students are very much robotic just going through the motions not thinking for themselves. The most school pride you will see is the sporting of UTD apparel, and that's because you can get it at a lot of event for free. The most unusual thing about UTD is their Greek life. It's terrible, there are no greek housing, they're basically just a club that occasionally gets together, not like a family, like Greek life is at so many other places. The one experience I will always remember is the day my professor said "Lets hurry this up because I don't want to be here". The most frequent complaints I have heard is the social life is extremely poor, you will most likely get one professor you can't understand, and the classes are extremely hard for the amount of teacher involvement.

Andrea

My favorite thing about UT Dallas? That's easy. The professors here are amazing. Most of my professors have a PhD. More importantly, I actually get to talk to them rather than a TA. There are assistants that are good and you have a choice to see them. But if I feel that I need help with something, my actual professor is available. I make use of this service and have found most of them to be very interesting people who genuinely want me to understand the topic and excel in general. With the support of such an amazing faculty, I feel that I really have a leg up over students at other schools.

Lee

Growing - i just wish it would build the buildings up and not out - schools look better with tall buildings - we need nicer apartments that overlook the whole campus and our dorms shouldn't stop at just 4 floors. there is no school pride we NEED a football team, especially in a state where football is religion. Complaints are just student life isn't really anything and that is boring

The best thing about UT Dallas is definitely the professor to student ratio. You receive so much more attention from professors, so if you ever need any guidance, they are always there for you! The only thing that I would change about UTD is that we have a football team!! We need some more school spirit! Anytime I tell people where I go to school, they all seem to know how well recognized we are in each of our schools, especially the Business School!

Reese

The best thing about UTD is the the size, its just right. It's not a very popular school and not that many people know about it. I spend most of my time on campus studying. UTD is not located in a college town but is close to dallas where there are lots of clubs and events going on. Very little school spirit. Most recent controversy was Saturday test. UTD is very quirky and odd. The people you see around campus are different and nerdy.

Cameron

UT Dallas is a great school! I chose UTD because of its great reputation as a business school and its convenient location near my home. The class size at UTD is just about right: small enough to make close friends, yet large enough to continue to meet new and interesting people. I spend most of my time in the School of Management. With two computer labs, a coffee shop, study areas, and a student lounge, I have everything in one place. We also have several great resources at the SOM. First we have a writing lab. I often bring my papers and writing assignments to the writing lab to have it critiqued and reviewed by a professional. Secondly, we have an advising center. My academic advisor has been extremely helpful in picking and choosing classes to ensure that I graduate on time and have a painless process. And finally, we have a career center. The career center has some of the nicest people I know. They helped me with my resume, preparing for interviews, and developing networking skills. All of these are here to help us succeed both in school and in future careers. Both students and faculty are very happy and passionate about their school. They love to see UTD succeed and are very supportive any efforts to enhance our reputation. As with most growing universities, there has been an increasing problem with parking. Students have often complained about this issue, and the administration and faculty are doing their best to address the issue and respond to complaints as soon as possible. In all, UT Dallas is a great school with a growing reputation.

Torry

UT Dallas is by far the best college in North Texas, and among the top colleges in Texas. Life at UTD is better than how I pictured college life. It is a bit expensive compared to the other public colleges but that cost comes back at you as a benefit through the UTD experience. I was worried how I would manage such a huge financial burden, but looking at the prospects, its worth it.

Evan

I think the biggest recent controversy on campus, in my opinion, is having math exam days on Saturdays. Apparently, students are supposed to register for all sections or components of a class, and the math department just wanted to have Saturday tests without telling students in advance to registering for the classes. This was bad because UT Dallas has several non-traditional students; such as working parents who either use the weekend to just hang out with their family or use Saturday to pick up more income. The math department stopped it immediately, though. However, it is likely to

Nikki

I always say it is small enough that I know my professors, but big enough I don't have to know them. When I tell people in the community that I am a student at UT Dallas they are always very impressed. When I tell people not from Dallas, they have never heard of it, and think I am a longhorn. The administration seems very organized, and genuinely cares. There is a recent controversy over the change in the CPA review course. They canned a 17 year veteran professor who knows the exam inside and out, to open up a position for a current head in the accounting department's son. There is not a whole lot of school pride, but it is growing every year! I went on an Alternative Spring Break to New Orleans to work with Habitat for Humanity. It was the best week of my life!

Whitney

Top notch school that is serious about providing students with applicable knowledge in the "real" world. Great faculty that is able to apply case studies to academic theory. Fantastic value for money and ROI.

Mel

The best thing about UT Dallas is that all the professors are reachable and helpful when you need them. Also, UTD has a growing reputation in research and is excelling in different areas. UTD is a growing university and is expected to be one of the best public universities in the nation within a few years.

Harper

UTDallas is a fairly new university compare to other universities within the Texas University system, but it grows fast. Now the academic reputation is on the winning track, School of Management ranks top 50 business school according to Business Week.

Tate

I have been extremely satisfied with my choice of coming to this university. It has been everything I have wanted and expected from a University.

Gene

It is young and growing institution emphasizing on business and engineering. UTdallas is located at one of the highest cities in USA. Dallas is a home of several business and engineering companies. At School of Management, I mostly spend time at student lounge. There are also many private study rooms which I can spend my all day there.

Gene

I spend most of my time at the School of Management. We get a lot more perks at the SOM. We have two computer labs, 100 page printing per SOM class, own career center, flat screen tvs, etc. Professors are extremely nice and accessible. The people at the advising office are very helpful and caring. Any question you have just go to them. UTD in general is small to me but they are working on it. Undergrads have been present for only 20 years, so it's understandable.

Carson

UTD offers a variety of courses in various sciences. It is a growing university located in Texas, one of the largest states in the United States.

Melodi

The size of the classes are great because each student gets personal attention and its easier to learn in a smaller environment. The school also has been gaining a lot more student pride at events and people are getting together showing that bond almost everywhere. The school just built the freshmen dorm buildings and I would suggest that they build more dorm facilities on campus so that it can give UTD more of a college vibe.

Kendall

Value for money is the best thing I like about UTD. The school provides great level of education at a resonable fee.

Kendall

Value for money is the best thing I like about UTD. The school provides great level of education at a resonable fee. I am a part time MBA student and do not spend much time on the campus but the campus has a very convenient layout..The admin staff has been helpful...The students should feel more pride in the school.

Quinn

UT Dallas School of Management is the best part of UTD. It is the best building on campus and has many different resources. I would chang parking at UT Dallas. UTD is just right, not to big and not too small. People tell me that UT Dallas is a great school when I tell them I'm a student there. UT Dallas has a great administration. School pride is shown by students wearing UTD articles of clothing as well as the sorereties on campus.

William

The size of the school is just right without too many or too little students. The only thing I don't like about the campus is the construction. I have to spend so much time walking around all the construction sites on campus. Also, the entrance of the campus doesn't catch my attention.

Justin

UTD is a very good school from an academic standpoint, but lacks the real college life feel. The size of UTD is the perfect size, but is continuing to grow year by year. Many people react positively when I tell them I go to school at UTD. They say it is a very good school. I spend most of my time in the School of Management Building while Im on campus. The administration at UTD is very good, I believe most of the professors are really involved in helping the students succeed while they are here. School pride doesn't really exist from what I have witnessed, because it is more of a commuter school.

Albena

School with high rankings, in which great professionals are trained.

Shelby

I think UTD is just the right size as to where freshmen who come in wont get overwhelmed and lost in the campus, while at the same time, the academically it is a very good university,. Classes are NOT easy here and we really have to work hard to do well. But at the same time, there is a very nurturing attitude here and also a place for everyone to come fit in and find a home away from home. The fact that UTD is still growing and not steeped in tradition means that there is alot of room for leaders to come in and establish those tradition and truly make an impact on the campus which i think is very unique to the school.

Jessie

The best thing of UTD, especially School of Management is it owns many wonderful professors. Every professor is of great charm. Some of them are respected by their rich knowledge and some are very attractive because of their humors. For me, attending classes are so enjoyable that I have never missed any of them.

Charlie

UTD has an awsom campus and atmosphere. If you are looking for a serious education, UTD should be your number one choice. There is a lot of diversity on campus not only cultural but in the interests of students. There aremany different undergraduate and graduate programs to choose from. Very helpful advisors and professors who realy care about you and your success. UTD has tons of day and night class schedules for people who have a very busy schedule. I am a mother of three and I can be able to take five classes in two days..

Morgan

Best thing about UTD is that it is big enough to blend in, but it is also small enough to make a difference. The choice is yours.

Quinn

The best thing about UT Dallas is its a school of management. I change my career from Dentistry to Accounting because of the programs offered in UT Dallas school of management. People are well aware of UT Dallas at a recognize level.

Andy

Fast growing school in a very dynamic area.

Thomas

I spend the majority of my time in the school of management. It's an extremely nice building filled with extremely amicable faculty and students. Beyond classrooms, there are countless facilities designed for the betterment of each student's experience. From graduate and undergraduate lounges to coffee shops, the SOM is a among the most inviting places you'll ever set foot in

Tate

The best thing about UT Dallas is that it is very professional. The size is perfect and when i tell someone that i go to UTD they become excited.

Ash

The University of Texas at Dallas is a great University, the administration and the faculty here are conscientious and always full of passion. Studying here is an enjoyable experience. The only flaw of this university may be the campus is a little small for the students here.

Rodrigo

The best thing about UT Dallas School of Management it is great student diversity. Also, the quality and experience of the teaching staff.

Blake

UT Dallas is currently in the process of upgrading the campus. There is a major beautification project in progress that is going to really make the college look better, and be a more ejoyable place to go to school.

Wally

UT Dallas is located in Richardson where is not far from Dallas downtown. You can enjoy the life of prosperity and peace. Although UT Dallas is a relatively new school, it really has a wonderful potential future. Its full-time MBA program was ranked of the top 50 programs in the nation. In addition, the living expenditure is relatively low compared with other cites'. As a result, I think choosing the UTD is a good investment.

Tate

The School of Management at UTD has really great academic programs combined with some really experienced professors, thus making it a great school. All Classes I've taken so far constantly reiterate concepts I've taken in previous classes, helping me relate all fields of business together. I also really enjoy it when instructors use real world examples, because those are what really help when it comes to understanding.

Justin

UT Dallas is more of a school for graduate students and more of a scholar's school. Students are very academic oriented and professors are very helpful. You can approach your professor easily when you need help on your study. The UT Dallas campus is currently going through a beautification project and the school will have a great look afterwards. Look forward to it!

Tate

SOM at UTD is a pretty good school. All business classes constantly reiterate things you've learned in past classes, keeping you from forgetting concepts from past classes. There are some really nice teachers that genuinely want to help you succeed.

lynn

The best thing would be that classes are not that big in size and professors are willing to help even if you dont ask. I came from a traditional big school, UT at Austin, and the faculty was mean and not really approachable. Services at UT were not willing to help unless you ask and questions seemed ambigious to them as if they needed to do something better then help you. UT dallas isnt like that i notice they want to help you and answer your questions. I see a lot of old high school friends which is different and its a good place to study if you need a place or time. Its quiet and user friendly. I think they need a better gym for working out. The consturction right now is a bother because you have to go in and out of places just to get to another building, but i know the campus will look beautiful when its done.

abijita

Ut Dallas , after the landscaping done, will be one of the best campus. it is the right size for students, quite safe and a fun place.

Carsten

The best thing about UTD is the people on campus. Both students and professors are some of the top in the nation and this makes campus life excellent. Students at UTD are relaxed but dedicated and always willing to help out classmates. Professors genuinely care about their students and are there not just to research but to help students learn. The only thing I would change about UTD is all the construction. It has made it hard to get around campus although it keeps getting better. I know in the end it will make the campus beautiful and a lot more enjoyable. UTD is just the right size. From campus size to classroom size everything is a perfect fit. You can enjoy walking between classes on campus and not having to worry about being late. And classrooms are small enough that you get a personal exposure to all your professors. I went to UT Austin when I began my college career and having 400+ people in a class really hurt the learning experience. Smaller classes make it a lot easier to learn because the professor can focus on their students. Overall it's a great school and a great college experience.