The University of Texas at Dallas Top Questions

Samara

Where do I begin?! For one thing, I would tell myself not to waste time, and that a college is definitly an important of my future. I would say to learn to manage money better to prepare for the expense of college. I would practice better studying habits. I would also recognize and pursue what would help me to progress in the future rather than what is fun at the time. I would tell myself to surround myself with individuals that would help me achieve my goals. Lastly and most importantly not to limit myself, and that I have achieved things and learned things that I would never believe as a high school senior, because I pushed myself to be better by futhering my education and have created a great network that puts me in a position to succeed.

Learn to set a schedule and be very diligent about your grades. GPA really does matter to companies that are hiring.

If I could go back in time and tell my high school self allthat I know now, I would tell myself first to apply to schools sooner because I missed out on really great scholarships that I qualified for but didn't attain becasue I applied too late . I would also tell myself to start getting organized for the schoool year in the summer because once college starts the transition is quick and I had some trouble with being unorganized for abut a month. I would aso tell myself not to be afraid to call the offices of departments if I had questions because I had roomate and financial aid issues that could have been resolved a lot sooner had I called and asked simple questions. Finally I would tell my self to pack for unpredictable weather, and just more conscious of the weather before going out because my first semester had sweltering heat, rain, snow, and perfect days jumbled together in no apparent order and I was not prepared for that at all.

To my high school self, Congratulations, you survived high school, and you're now moving onto the next big thing: college. The most important things you should know are: 1. Don't forget to have fun. School is important, but everyone needs a study break sometimes. Spend time with your friends, go out on the weekends, and make the most of these next four years. 2. People come and go. Your best friend from high school might not be your best friend in college, but that's okay. You will meet great people and create new friendships that may be even better. 3. Grades are just a number. Study hard, but don't overdo it. If you're tired, sleep. Your health is a priority. If you tried your best and still didn't do as well as you hoped, it is completely okay. 4. Pursue what makes you happy. This is your life, not your parents'. You have options. Your major is not set in stone, and neither is your career. There is no rush. You have time to explore your interests. College won't always be easy, but trust me, you are going to be just fine!

Silia

It was a wise choice to go to a community college while in high school, it has helped me see what college will be like. Even though I am not yet out of high school yet, I would tell my past self to never give up even when there is too much to handle, that there are solutions to everything, and to pick keep pulling myself up after every fall. There are many oppotunities in the future to give up so soon. Yes, there will be times when it all seems to be the end, but it can not be allowed to stop one self. I am to remember to keep on going, it will all be worth it in the long run.

I can't tell you what your passion will be, you just have to trust me in knowing that you will find it. Life will happen and you will search for a few years under every surface for a spark that ignites your mind and believe me there will be so many. You will untap interests and beliefs you never dreamed of having. Then one day, it will dawn on you where you want to go and the years of unorganized chaos will be worth every moment.

I would tell myself to study harder than I did in high school and I would tell myself what major to go in so I wouldn't waste time, which is to become a Physician Assistant. This would mean to make sure I pass all my AP exams, tell myself about going into pre-health, join AED club which helps PAs, maintain a GPA of 3.7 or higher, to study for the GRE, and right away look for research along with schools to recieve a masters degree. Most importantly, above all, I will tell myself that even if it gets challenging and if I stumble and fall, to always get back up because the worst thing I can ever do is stop believing in myself and give up. Despite what anyone thinks this is my dream.

Bao

Prepare yourself for the unexpected. Better always be ahead of yourself than be late and have to cram all the works on the night before due day, although procrastination sometimes provide the best ideas to work out an entire project just in that fateful night. It's called last-minute inspiration. Meet and expand connections among peers and people around will be essential in proceeding onto the next level of your life as they will be valuable to you at a certain point in life. Be more proactive and always ask question, rather than be passive about it and regret. Don't hestitate of taking chance and falling right through the crack, because we're all living for experiences.

Elaine

If I could tell my high school self anything about college now, it would be to learn all I could about financial aid. It can be a confusing thing to a young adult especially if you don't understand finances very well. Another thing I would tell myself would be to never quit. Keep going consistently and if classes get to difficult find the resources on campus like tutors to get you through it. It can be done, and with hardwork, dedication and persistence you will come out at the end knowing more than you did when you went in. Your life will never be the same.

michael

Since I was out of formal schooling for almost a decade as I served in the Army, I realize now that this makes resuming my education much more difficult. I would tell myself not to wait to resume studies, but to continue on a part time basis throughout my military career. This especially applies to mathematics; I would like to have had the wisdom to take my college level math classes soon after graduation from high school. I would also have told myself to start taking classes during senior year at high school, as I had the spare time to do so. As an adult, spare time is often a foreign concept. I would tell myself to save some money for tuition and books, as these things are certainly not inexpensive. I would tell myself to enjoy my last year at high school, and to appreciate those friends that I had. I would advise myself to approach this endeavor with the same drive and intensity as I do most other things, and to prepare for an enriching experience. Most importantly, I would tell myself not to worry so much about perfection; that this was going to be fun!

devon

If I could go back in time and tell myself anything at all about the future with college, I’d spill everything I know. That sounds kind of broad, but it’s true. When I first started this journey I didn’t have any help or advice on what to do because nobody in my family has ever been to college. I did everything on my own through trial and error, but I made it. I’m the first person in my family’s history to ever attend college and I will be the first to complete college as well. I would tell myself in high school to do everything ahead of time, every document the school wants, every project, and to try your best to fill out scholarships day and night because it gets rough being broke and in debt. I would let myself know too that everything will be okay, and don’t worry about school because of the amazing family I have that supports me every step of the way. I would tell myself to never give up, even when it feels like the world is bearing down on your shoulders. It gets easier with time.

Dakota

Be prepared to work for what you get! College is the equivilant of a high demanding job and if you expect to succeed you have to be willing to put in the work. The workload is much more than you are used to, but it is manageable with careful time management and prioritizing school work over social wants. That being said, maintaing a social life is still important. College is a time to grow and learn who you are, what you like, what you want to do, and who you want to surround yourself with; extracurricular activites are a great way to do all of that. Your education is still the most important thing though, so embrace college and all it has to offer you!

Elissa

Everything that you know about the world and yourself is about to be questioned and everything that you believe in will change many times over the next few months and years. Remember these words: “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds” (Emerson, Self Reliance). An open mind can accomplish many things, whereas a foolish consistency will keep you from realizing your full potential. Accept that not everything you think that you know about the world is correct or that maintaining an invalidated belief is beneficial—a change in beliefs can be enlightening. Moreover, what you think you know about yourself is about to change and that change can open doors to exceptional places. Prove yourself wrong; accomplish the things that you never thought that you could manage: learn a second (or third) language, take every class you find interesting even if it’s not in your field, and never, never doubt what you can accomplish if you just try. Maintaining the belief that “I could never do that” will only keep you from your greatest self. Realize that you are wrong about what you can do and this growing period will be most rewarding and much easier.

Carissa

I worked hard in High School preparing to go to college in order to end the poverty cycle I was in. That being said, I would go back in time and tell myself to that the hard work I was doing would eventually pay off, because I know at times, I did not see the end of the tunnel for the path I was motivated to be on. That hard work at school and on the job, like I was performing in high school, would leave me ahead of my college peers in preparation for the real life. College is not like high school, you are on your own trying to make good grades and provide a life to live. I would tell myself that even though working to help my mom, while cheering on the varsity squad and maintaining A’s in my AP classes was tough, it would prepare me to be able to maintain A’s in my college courses while holding down two jobs to pay for college. There is a light at the tunnel and hard work along with dedication will pay off!

To go back in time would be a great experience, and would give me a chance to tell a past me some things I did not know at the time about the future. I would, first of all, find my high school senior self, and have a heart-to-heart. My first bit of advice would go something like this: “Listen, you know how everyone worries about not fitting in right away at a new school? Don’t. Making friends is easier than it may seem. Just have a funny video on deck (ones that have to do with cats in some way will work best) and use it as an ice breaker. Trust me, it will work.” “You know what else? Make sure to be nice. Not just to friends, but to anyone you interact with. When you treat people especially kind, they will have your back when you need it, even if it’s just opening a door for you when you’re hands are full.” “One last bit of advice, my young grasshopper: be prepared to be over-packed with some weird stuff, but underprepared on other points. You’ll know what I mean soon enough.”

Mindy

If I could go back, there would be so many things I would tell myself. First one being: "Don't procrastinate!!", because we all know that many of us college kids love to procrastinate. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because it is so hard to pay for school these days and you never know what might happen in the semester that you are in school. Then, I would probably tell myself to work hard and never compare myself to other people. We are all different and we are all good at different things. I should only focus on myself and what I want to accomplish in my life. And finally, the most important piece of advice: "Never give up!" Life is full of surprises and to give up is to give up on life.

Odeyuwa

I would advice my former self to apply to branch out in my selections of school. When I was selecting my choice on school, i was so bent on applying to schools with high level profiling that at the end of the day, I had limited choices based on the acceptance letters I got. Also, i would advise my senior self to apply for fafsa earlier because it would have made my chances of getting more money better.

Barbara

I would tell myself that although I am bored out of my mind I should go to every class and learn every detail. While I knew most of the material I am learning that I missed a lot of 'little' details because I skipped so much. I would tell myself to try to talk to the principal about getting into honors classes or even another school to try to keep me intrested. I would definately say not to fall in love with David, he will be nothing but trouble. Also to go right to college after high school- waiting ten years was not the smartest move and makes everything that much harder on yourself. I would remind myself to appreciate the friends I have, not to take them for granted, because a few years from now I will have needed all the friends I had. Listen to your mother, she knows a lot more than we thought she did back then, taking her advice now will save you a lot of hardship later.

Ka Him

I would go back to my high school senior year and instantly tell myself: Get out of high school NOW, because high school is truly not that important after all. Going to college is rather more important, especially the college degree, and is considerably a lot less stressful than high school. Never take more hours than is needed for your degree that you hope to seek, and stick to only one degree plan at a time. Applying for financial aid and scholarships is also extremely important. They will help yourself and your parents a lot so that they won't pay full price to invest in you. Study hard! Have fun! Meet new friends and make the best of your life. Don't work yourself out too hard because life simply does not only revolve around school itself.

I stop in my tracks. Up ahead is a young girl. As I approach her, she meets my gaze. “What do I do? I don’t know what I’m doing?” the quiet, timid girl asked. I smile and chuckle. “Don’t worry about anything. Everything works out for the best. College is nothing to be afraid of. College is full of fun and exciting times. You’ll meet new people and learn new things about yourself everyday. Stay in touch with your counselors and financial aides. They will help you discover where you’re going and how to finance it. Believe it or not, there are scholarships for everything. Try to loosen up and enjoy your time. This only happens once. Make as many friends as you can. Together, you will help each other succeed. And finally, keep your mind open to the career you would like to do in the future. Most students change their minds several times in college. It’s nothing to be ashamed of or to be concerned. Just be sure to have a plan and you’ll be fine.” I smile at the young girl, as I walk away from the bathroom mirror.

roger

Knowing what I know now, I would have specialized in a certain field. My original degree was accounting, but because I was in a hurry to graduate instead of taking one more semester, I settled for a general business administration degree. The way the world is today, it is not enough to go through college and hope you get a high paying job with some big firm somewhere. No, you need to specialize in something, whether its being an accoutant which could lead to being a CPA and having your own firm; or being a doctor or lawyer with a specialized focus. I think that's what makes it now in today's society is honing in on a specific skill set and taking that knowledge with you through school. Make your degree count, know what you want to do before going to school so as to not waste precious time or resources. I think that is the best advice I could have received.

Having gone through two years of college at the community college level, I would go back and tell myself to relax! I had straight A's in high school and stressed constantly about getting into the very best four-year university - and I did. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it, so I did the community college grind for two years and now I've gotten in to my dream school. I would love to go back to my seventeen year old self and say, "Stop stressing! You're going to be fine! Instead of worrying that your A will be a 95{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} instead of a 98{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, fill out some more scholarship applications - the money won't just 'work itself out' like your guidance counselor told you!" So, I guess my advice would be somewhat mixed: relax, enjoy high school, and you WILL enjoy college. Meeting great people and enjoying your studies will be the least of your concerns - just save every penny, apply for those scholarships, work extra hours, and keep your fingers crossed. Oh, and, again, maybe try to have a little bit of fun along the way.

Kareya

If I had a time machine to go back to myself entering the college enivornment... I would tell myself one thing--"Be smart. Everything you think you know, you really don't. And every gut feeling you have, is right. Don't doubt, just be smart." My reasons are as follows, there is a lot that goes on at every college campus--there is a lot of drama, troubles that will bring students down. However, you (as a student) have to remain focused on the ultimate goals. College life might appear glamorous, however you cannot let the glamour take away from what you are actually there to do--learn.

Sofia

My college experience thus far has shown me that there are so many more possibilities, in life and career, than I had previously imagined. I've found that any interest I may have can be linked to a career I did not think was possible, and for any interest I have, I am able to take a class regarding that subject. It is valuable to attend college because you learn more about yourself as a person. I have learned that changing my mind about what I want to study is not the end of the world, and finding new subjects that I like is easy when there are so many choices. I've been able to study new languages, life sciences, pre-Renaissance art and learn to play an instrument. I've found that while preparing for a future career, it is entirely possible to enjoy the college experience.

Dominique

So far the college experience has been life changing, the freedoms and the time we now have in life is something to learn a lot from. I have grown as a student, man and citizen through the first year of college and plan to continue to mature and take lessons each and every day until I finish college and hopefully become successful. I know I can always give the credit to my parents and college for making me what I will become in the near future. So far one year has been very informing to me as a student and a human being and hope the next two and a half years will be that much more life changing. College will most likely be the best thing for me so far in my 20 years of living.

sainath

i love it

Throughout my first year in college, I have gain something valuable that I would never had to in high school. College life is inexplicably different from that of high school. The academics in college have greater expectations that those of high school. I value the college academia that I would remember to cherish it every no and then. Besides studying, I've met new friends that share the same interests as me such as major and ideas. With these friends, there's no way that I'll be alone in college.

I have learned things that are extremely interesting, and also applicable to my future. I have been exposed to different cultures, and people I would have never met otherwise, and I have learned more about myself, too. I have learned how to work hard for something, and fiscal responsibility, and learned what I am capable of. In short, I learned how to suceed in life. I have overcome challenges to get here, and I have learned how important a college education is as a result. College prepares you for the real world like nothing else quite can, and concurrently gives you the tools to make a better life for yourself, and to suceed. For these reasons, I feel that my college education is an investment for my future, and likely the best investment anyone can make.

UT Dallas is exceptional because there is so much one on one time allowed between professors and students. I find that professors always have their doors open and the classes are small enough that they tend to know everyone's names. For such a small school, it offers a lot of variety in courses and times and is flexible to work for almost any schedule. I feel that I attend a prestigious school where the environment is completely student oriented and fun. Although not known for a large social scene, it is easy to get involved through greek life and intramural sports and housing sponsored events.

shabrittney

The best part of college for me is knowing that I get to learn and experience more than I did in high school. Its valuable to go to college to understand the real world and how the real world works. While I was in I high school I only understood certain aspects of the real world experience now that Im out here in it things are clear that they are not as easy as it seems. College to me is a great experiene I love it all kids coming up should be able to learn what I have learned during this college life I have possesed its great. Im studying Criminals at Kilgore College and the learning of human behavior and criminals is quite fascinating even to my family who yet to understands why Im studying this subject but its makes me happy to thats what im going to do with my life.

College has taught me how to create and develop an arbitrary love for mathematics. As a freshman in college, I had no genuine interest in any given academic role which initially impeded my success in classes. Without seeing a real world application, I felt I was just grinding out work without an end goal which made the whole process much more painful and less productive. Through the inundation of coursework, I began to comprehend the true lesson behind the class material. That is, we live most of our lives performing tasks designed to just get us to the next day - taking a car in for repairs, cleaning up a shattered plate or helping family with their hardships . We feel that we don't gain satisfaction from these chores - nothing near what is garnered from being with close friends or time spent with a hobby. I learned that maintaining a positive perception of ordinary college existence led me to an extraordinary mental adoption of math. Perhaps it was the intricacies and derivations of equations; the way everything could be dismantled and reassembled to interact as a whole once again which reminded me of the ultimate real world application - life.

During my college experience, I have learned many useful skills that will be with me for life. I have learned more about the value of education and how important it is to further my career. I have found college to be valuable because it pushed me to work harder, which made me a more determined person. College is not all about academics either, I have made many personal accompishments as well. College had made me a much more social person because of interacting with all the students and teachers. Due to all the interaction, I have become very self-confident and am involved in many activities. This is an important skill that will remain with me forever and make me a better teacher because of it. Overall, my college experience has been great and taught me a lot about myself.

Before graduating high school, I had been home schooled for my entire life. My mother did get me and my siblings involved in various activities with our home school group, so I was not isolated from other people when I was little, but it is true that, with the combination of being naturally shy and growing up in a small town, I did not have a large number of friends. Since attending college, I feel I have grown quite a bit as a person and have had the opportunity to experience things I never would have gotten to otherwise. Living away from my family means I have had to take on more responsibilities on my own and be more independent. Naturally there is also the academic advantage of going to college; with a degree, I have the possibility of getting a much better job than otherwise. Without more financial aid, I will be unable to continue my education uninterrupted. I really hope that does not happen, as I feel pursuing a college degree is absolutely imperative to my future.

Soumaya

Education in general is an important part of my life.Making the leap to further my education beyond high schoool,has been one of the greatest choices that i've made and is serving me well at the moment and for the rest of my life.My college experiences so far has been a genuinely amazing journey.I'm learning a great deal in the classroom as well as life outside of it.My peers,teachers and advisors have been supportive from the beginning,and simply enlightened me as how be more successful,and dedicated to my education.Being part of organizations,and clubs contributed to a productive life on campus and garnered good friends.My college experiences have been very valuable and important because mainly,i'm learning abundantly on so many levels and improving academically and socially.Attending college is aiding me now in life,and that will continue on toward the future because learning is forever. Furthering my education will drive me to contribute to society,make lasting impacts around the world and hopefully motivate people to discover the value and importance of education.Education is key to many opportunities and therefore it is valuable.

In life many people will tell you that success in life and in your career is about who you know and not what you know. Although there is some truth to that statement it is much more often the case that hard work and determination ensure a person?s success. At the university I have gained life skills which will enable me to be a top performer in my career. The University of Texas at Dallas is an academically intensive school not associated with partying and has allowed me to focus on the right type of activities. The whole education process is much like your career. It teaches you how to meet deadlines and produce great quality work. Also, many classes require group project which gave me an opportunity to see how the real world works and learn hard but valuable lessons. Although you may work hard you always have to ensure everyone in your group is doing their part to ensure a proper result much like a real life work environment. These lessons have been crucial in my work life and in addition to raising my human capital have helped make me the outstanding employee I am today.

Great foundation for my future.

Chayleen

It was valuable to attend college for me because I got to make new friends, meet a lot of new and interesting people, get my degree in my desired field of study, experience some personal growth, because I got on the student council and the council of the Skills USA club for that college, and I went to state competitions for the Skills USA in quiz bowl too. I got my Associates degree in Applied Science in Drafting and now I want to go back to school and get my bachelors degree in Cosntruction Management.

From talking to professionals within my chosen career, I have learned that almost everything one needs to know is learned on the job. However, I still believe my college education was valuable for more than just meeting certification requirements. My education at UTD is providing me with the foundation my work will be based on. It has also taught me about the importance of networking, about the inevitability of team work (and how to work together efficiently, and successfully), and how to communicate productively with leadership forces. In general, my education at UTD has emphasized the idea that this is a people oriented world, and that without them... you won't get very far.

Jean

If I were to talk to myself when I was a high school, I would tell myself to take risks and enjoy life more. I spend so much time studying, practicing for SATs, and volunteering. I never took care of myself and enjoyed what life had to offer. I would also tell myself to cease the day and use time wisely. Realizing that time is precious, I would tell myself to fix all of the mistakes and talk to people I have never talked to. I would tell myself to not regret things that i didn't do.

Kelley

To: Kelley From: Future Kelley Kelley, Please, for the love of God, schedule afternoon classes! No one ever told you that none of your professors care if you show up or not. I know you aren't a morning person, so it's afternoon classes or bust. You really need to go to lectures to get full experience of the class. There are some things you just won't be able to wrap your head around without seeing the examples walked through. Don't be afraid to go to your professors and TAs! They really do want to you to succeed and pass. Go to them if you have questions, they can help you improve your grades (and might even give you extra credit assignments!). Finally, get out of your dorm and socialize. There's nothing worse than sitting in your dorm alone, eating junk food. It might sound good right now, but trust me, it isn't. Get to know the people in your dorm hall, talk to the people in your classes. Who knows, he/she might be able to help you with homework, get you into frat parties, or maybe even become a lifelong friend. Goodluck!

"Get into great study habits!" This is the first thing I would advise to myself if I could go back in time and talk to myself. I discovered that studying regularly improves efficiency in a course. Also, read material that's advised by professor at the scheduled time and not try to "cram in" everything at the last second. I would tell myself to research every single aspect of the career I choose to take and not wait until college to figure it out. "Learn to be VERY patient." Do not expect to go to college and make friends the very first day. It takes time, do not rush things. Also don't get involved in so much that you forget that you are in college! Parties and extracurricular activities are not everything. Academic excellence should still be your main intended goal. Advise on making the transition, do not wait until the end of the final deadline to apply for a college because there are further steps after it that require time. The quicker the better. Do not make the mistake of waiting to apply for on-campus housing and later discovering there are no more spaces available (me)!

Afshan

I would definetly learn more time-management techniques and ways of effective studying. Having to juggle a full load of classes as well as a full work schedule can be very hectic at times. Also, in highschool I would have put more effort into keeping up with my school work. Never needing to study in highschool made it a harder transition to college since I wasn't used to studying on a regular basis. College is more about learning the information as well as keeping it in your mind for more than just a test. The information we learn on a day-to-day basis is information that we need to keep with ourselves for the rest of our college career. In highschool, most of the time we would study the week of a test and learn the information for the test and forget it until finals came around because there wasn't as much of an emphasis to study and be able to retain what was taught everyday.

Vimal

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to have a plan before entering college. By plan I mean a career path. Having an idea of where one would like to be after college would help guide one to their goal. This does not mean that one must follow the plan all the way through. Changes can be made and different paths may be selected, but atleast having an idea would help. Having a plan is not enough. One must also be able to execute it. If you do not work hard and focus on your goals then your chances for success for drastically decline. Be ready to work hard and focus would be the best advice I could give myself.

Rosinda

If I could go back to my senior year, I would advise myself to apply for financial aid as close to January as possible. It would have saved me from having to take out loans. I would have told myself to apply to more schools and to check out my options. I only applied to three schools; two of which I didn't really want to go to but simply applied because I received an application fee waiver. I did not apply to the school I had been looking at because I wanted to stay with my boyfriend. I did not think I could make it on my own at a large school but luckily the school I am currently at seems to fit me pretty well. I would also tell myself to not worry so much about high school drama. Leave all that behind you and make a fresh start when you go to college. Settle any issues with friends beforehand so that you can enjoy your last summer together. The bonds between you will help you keep going and will make it easier to transition into college life.

I would tell myself to finish all my school work before you decide to hang out with your friends. You will still have time for your friends after homework, but you will not have time for homework after hanging out with your friends. Getting even a little bit behind in college is the worst thing you can possibly do as everything will landslide from there until you are struggling to pass your classes. It is truly fun being on your own and away from your parents, but remember to be responsible and prove that you can handle it by staying on top of things. College will definitely be one of the funnest experiences of your life, but make sure to keep that way by keeping up with your academia. Schedule, plan ahead, and try not to get too stressed when things don't go as planned!

I never knew that living with complete strangers would be as difficult as it is. The constant noise and people can sometimes drive me to insanity. If I could go back in time, then I would tell myself to just relax and do not take too many things seriously. I would tell myself to take the days one at a time instead of looking at them in months to the point where I believe myself not capable of escaping. There is enough stress in college with the work load and the odd feeling aquired after moving to a new place. There is no need to make where you are living as much of a mess at the outside world may seem. Home is supposed to be your haven and santuary. I would tell myself to remember that during the times I would want to cry and scream, but also, to remember that you should not keep what you feel bottled up inside. Keeping what you think and feel to yourself will only tear you up, not anyone else. Express yourself with your roommates and do not let them take over your world. It is your house too.

Becky

One can?t fully understand the implications of living at home and commuting until it has been personally experienced. But if you have ever been in a place where you feel limited on living to your potential, you can definitely sympathize with me. If I could go back in time I would not have sacrificed what I wanted in an attempt to make the wise choice according to parents, old people, statistics, and journalists. In the end, the most important lesson I learned was to willingly listen, consider possibilities and advice, then ultimately follow my own freaking heart.

I would tell myself to work hard! I really wish I worked harder in my courses and volunteered more.

If I could go back in time then I would tell myself many things. First I would tell myself to take at least one semester if not a whole year to really evaluate what I want to do. I would tell myself to think about what I want out of life, and what I want to achieve. That time off is a good thing for myself, because the lack of interest is what made me end up quitting several times. After having returned after a long break from school, I understand why I wanted to be there. I would tell myself to not attend school until i had this will to want to be there, not out of lack of anything else to do.

Maggie

Make sure you didn't choose a college based solely on your first choice of major. Many students end up changing their majors. If you switch majors will the college of your choice have majors for your secondary interests?