The University of Texas at Dallas Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Texas at Dallas

Personally, I love UT Dallas; it's a perfect match for me. The location is nearby home and the campus is lined with beautiful magnolia trees. The students are friendly and welcoming to everyone. The on-campus housing are probably the best there is for public colleges. They're roomy and lets you spend more time on campus. The organizations are all encompassing, from Greek life to dance clubs to engineering ones. There's at least one club for everyone. The campus facilities are amazing. Not only do we have computers labs, a library, and tutor labs on campus, we even have a gaming computer lab to relax at. My professors have been considerate towards their students and want us to excel. And we are also known for our academics. I say the classes are pretty challenging, especially the engineering/science/math classes. But overall UTD is my home away from home. I don't feel to homesick because there's so much to see and do on (and off) campus.

I love the school and the campus, but the food could be better and the housing could be closer to the center of campus. The menu at the dining hall could change more often and there could be more seasonings for the foods. The classes are awesome and are actually challenging which I haven't seen in a long time.

Lan

I really like university of Texas at Dallas. It wasn't one of my ideal places to go into before because everyone used to tell me everyone makes it in, it's super easy. I have come to like it a lot over my first year of being here. There are a lot of groups and activities to partake in.

Chris

I mean I like it as a university, the only problem I have with it is that we hardly have NCAA sports here. Yeah we do have some, but we don't have a football team or a track team, 2 very important sports. Also, like organizations really don't matter unless you are in charge of one, other than that, it don't matter.

Parul

The University of Texas at Dallas is not your typical college that is depicted in movies. It is more like an experience, where your college life is a path which you pave. There are countless amounts of opportunities to explore, which ultimately enable students to find themselves. Students can get involved in anything from Greek life to study abroad to even sword fighting. We do not have a football team, but we definitely have active students in a variety of sports from soccer to basketball. More importantly, UT Dallas is heavily concentrated on academics. The atmosphere here encourages students to be academically challenged in a good way! You can always focus and get studying done on campus, and on top of that, you can always be social and have fun on campus too!

Anabel

The first time I visited this campus I knew I loved it. It's a beautiful campus. Academics are extremely important and we also have a lot of events with free food and free stuff which is great for struggling college students. We have some recreational sports but there isn't a football team so there's not a lot of hype about sports. The teachers are great, very helpful and the campus has so many resources to help students. Overall, great campus, great environment just wish we had a football team!

Brenda

A great place to flourish.

Annette

The University of Texas at Dallas is definitely an academically focused school. The institution really challenges you to do your absolute best and be successful. There are many resources on campus to help you academically and socially. UTD is also pretty diverse racially, ethnically, etc. In terms of a social life, there is always a party going on during the weekend, but they are usually off campus. Greek life is not as popular here, but I have many friends who participate because of the connections, experience and overall affordability. There are over 300 clubs/organizations on campus, so there is most likely something for everyone, no matter your interests.

Cheetah

Overall, The University of Texas at Dallas provides a great environment for students to further their education goals. It is a safe and academically challenging university with professors.

Colton

The people here are great to be around. I enjoy the diversity; I feel this school is very welcoming of all people. Professors are nice and are willing to work with the students. Resources are provided for almost anyone going through any sort of difficult time.

April

Ut Dallas is great academically, with students focused on college rather than partying.

Irma

I like UTD,I think it's a great school that has a lot to offer all its students, they are also very helpful. One of the only problems I have with UDT is the price for parking. I have night classes and I have to pay the same amount of money to park at school and I only go two days of the week. Sure they have areas where you can pay per hour but over time it can get expensive. So that is as of right now my only negative comment about UTD. Keep in mind I have verily one semester there. I do love the school though

Yuri

Overall, The University of Texas at Dallas is an amazing school. It may be small for those who are looking for a big, active campus, but UTD fits me. It is just the right size for me and has everything that I could possibly need. Despite being a small campus, the diversity is evident and everyone feels like family. I admire how UTD continues to try and become a better campus by adding new innovations, creating events for students to interact with one another, and just bettering the quality of the school. UTD has a lot to offer students and genuinely try to help us secure jobs in our field of study.

Sayan

It is not a very good place, makes students feel terrified and afraid. It makes college experience not good. The teachers do not care about their subject and frequently fail many students. Students are alienated from others when their opinions do not match what group thinks, even if group is not right.

Kylie

UTD is a school that I find to be a good fit for me. The classes are usually worth going to, most of the professors are open to talk to, I don't always feel overly stressed (except for when every class decides to cram projects/tests in the same week), but everything works out. I've made more friends this school year than I have in all my high school years. too.

Hrithik

When I First arrived at the university of Texas at Dallas, i was quite shocked as too how quite and reserved of a school it really was. it terrified me initially to realize that this is where I will be spending the next 4 years of my life, but little did I know the people I would end up meeting there would end up changing my perspective of things. The people and you make it what it really is, I love UTdallas.

nathan

UT Dallas is a great place to study and graduate to be a contributing member of the society. I only came here because it was in close proximity and it offered the major that I was interested in Biomedical Engineering, it actually has a very reputable program and I have enjoyed myself so far. There is a lot of work in my major but it is a great learning experience.

Tafari

I'm going into my senior year this fall and I've made lifelong friends and enjoyed my time here as a psychology major. Although, to anyone interested in attending, this school is a heavily mixed bag in terms of community. Academics are at the forefront of this school, and I'm certain STEM majors flourish here. UTD keeps on expanding and building new educational buildings, and has been awarded a lot of grant money for scientific research. The school more-so socially diverse than it is ethnically. For lack of a better phrase, the school's weird and quirky, with a lot of different communities. As soon as you've become settled in a friend group and ignore what you don't really "vibe" with, you're bound to have a better experience like I am so far. There are a lot of free movies and events that you're likely to miss out on if you're not really tuned into what's going on on campus, so it's best to be on the lookout for what students call "finesses." In terms of housing, ratings vary, because it's dependent on where you live-- be it the dorms, the apartments in University Village, Canyon Creek apartments, and the off-campus (but also across the street from campus) apartments at Northside. I personally live in one of the Canyon Creek buildings, and since they're the newest built, they're the best maintained. Cleaned indoors and groomed outdoors weekly, with a concierge desk for packages, and PA's that let you go about your business, Canyon Creek is overall enjoyable. Unfortunately be ready to walk, skate, or bike a distance to class, because it's almost the farthest from the center of campus. The freshman dorms are pretty good too, you don't have to share a room or sink, the toilet and shower are in separate bathrooms, and you're closest to campus. PAs are also always available to help you with lockouts, packages, and general questions about the college. UV sometimes has bug problems and poor maintenance, and I hear horror stories of the tenants at Northside treating the apartments like animals--vomit in the hallways or elevators, trash chutes packed to capacity, loud parties, you name it, it's probably happened there. In terms of eating, as soon as you become a Sophomore and aren't required to get a meal plan -- DO NOT GET ONE. Its overpriced and the food plan isn't worth it, you're better off buying groceries year-round. Even if you eat out all year, you'd still probably be spending less than what the options are, which is upwards of $2000 PER semester. Walmart, Tom Thumb, Target, Aldi, and Kroger are all relatively close to campus. Make a conscious effort to get there, be it with a friend or by bus. Overall rating I give this school is 4 out of 5 because I think there are more ups than downs of attending here. It's a weird school, but it's also full of intellectuals and genuine people.

Austin

The University of Texas at Dallas was my first choice for college and i'm glad i got accepted there, they have everything I will ever need there. It has all the best places to eat and relax, great study halls with excellent student teacher help, and wonderful professors in lectures and labs.

aaron

The University itself is an amazing place to attend, the people on campus are always friendly and you always go up to someone and make friends everywhere. The facilities are really nice, the dorms are in extremely good condition and the food is good because there is always variety.

Yentl

I have enjoyed my experience at UTD but sometimes I do wish the harder, science based courses had smaller class options outside of the summer. Sometimes it's hard to pay attention or even hear the professor and in some cases it is difficult to get the professor to learn who you are.

Naomi

UT Dallas is a very good school for students who are here for their education and only their education. You will really learn and get your money's worth. However for students who are like me who enjoy balance, it is not the best. I feel like all I do is school, school, school. But the education is great, it is expensive, but the curriculum and grading system is not a joke. Everything happens for a reason but had I known what I know now, I would've thought twice before coming here.

Maria

The only reason I did not give UT Dallas five stars is because of how expensive everything is, since it's not only a big school but also in Dallas, which is a much busier place than I'm used to. But overall, I am extremely grateful of what I am learning here at UTD and find it so valuable. The connections to my desired industry are absolutely amazing.

Katherine

UTD is a great school if what you are looking for is a school with rigorous academics and a competitive student body. However, socially, it is not the best school if you are looking for something that is on par with UT or OU. There is a lack of school spirit, and although there are parties to be found, they do not happen outside of the weekend. It's a great school for academics and socially it is growing, but if you care less about college and more about the college experience, this is probably not the place for you.

Carolina

This campus has strong and intensive academics. If you want to prepare for graduate school or go more in depth with learning this is a great school for you. There are plenty of programs for tutoring, mentoring, and research. On campus housing and residential life can improve. Aside from the lack of creating a fun social environment, housing is over priced and very competitive.

Tia

My opinion of The University of Texas at Dallas is that there is a place for everyone at the campus. The faculty, professors, are always greeting everyone with a smile and gives a helping hand to the students. They want their comets to succeed and are willing to help you reach your goals. Despite the fact, we may not have a large football team like other schools , our school demonstrates school spirit in other ways which make up for it.

Edgar

Overall, The University of Texas at Dallas is a great school. The campus itself looks beautiful with its water creek like passage and new facilities. On top of that, the school offers access to several amenities such as a recreation center, an extensive library, a bus line, shops, and a handful of places to eat. The school is not much into sports, however, as there is no football team. Due to that fact, student life is also a bit lacking. That being said, there is still a place for everyone at this school with multiple fraternities and sororities, as well as over two hundred clubs. Now, where the school truly excels at is with its academics. Full of talented professors who truly know their stuff, and a helpful staff, students will find themselves actually enjoying their studies.

I am a Speech Language Pathology and Audiology major at UTD, and I honestly love it here. The campus is beautiful and the people I meet a very nice. Academics at UTD are superb. There is a great balance between study and fun. There is also fun events going on at UTD, but most people here care about their future too. UTD was the perfect choice for me since I grew up here and went to Collin College first. I found with scholarships, support from family, and taking Community College classes that my education has been relatively affordable. I'm glad I looked at the big picture and chose UTD.

Connie

There are a lot of really great people here -- students, faculty, and staff. While the scholarship I received (and the proximity to home) played a large part in my decision to come, I was able to really become involved in a variety of interests (art, fellowship, music...) while getting a good education / foundation for medical school.

Danika

UTD is a great school! I love my academic advisor! She is consistently following up and helping me through the process. I am a nontraditional student, and I'm definitely not the only one - there are a few of us in each class. This University is heavy, HEAVY, on the Math and Sciences, but it makes me proud when I see renowned research coming out of those departments. And even if you are not in the Math or Science departments there are other schools to be a part of. I am in Arts and Performance and there are a ton of opportunities. I do not live on campus, and can not speak of its affordability; however; there is a huge section of campus housing very close. The downside to living on campus is that you are in the middle of the UTD bubble and there aren't many options within walking distance if you are without a car (I don't know about the bus system, but see it all the time and I know it's there). There are a selection of off campus stores and restaurants that are "close" but you still need a bike or car. If you are looking for a "scene", remember that this university is in the suburbs and you will have to seek out those opportunities for yourself. Bottom line - if you really like school, you will really like this university. If you are more interested in social life > academics, you may have a harder time. Greek Life is there, and they are in the process of working on on-campous housing - but it's not a major part of academics for most people. Books - BUY ON AMAZON! Always are going to be cheaper. The bookstore recently started a price match program but the hitch with that is, you still have to buy at the higher price and then they give you a gift card with the difference between the two prices. Nice -- but, not quite. At least I get some free shirts and supplies. If sports are your thing - they are there, and I am part of some clubs, but it will be offered outside of the realms of academics. UTD is a university still in progress - sports will be there one day, but today is not that day. Please come! This school is awesome!

Faizah

I really love the community here at UT Dallas. The people here are very open. The professors are always more than happy to help you with anything you need, be it school stuff or personal. The faculty here really want to see you succeed, even if it is not in their field. The career center is amazing for any kind of career advice or help you could possibly imagine of needing.

Shuwen

I believe college is what one make of it because there are plenty of extracurricular opportunities at The University of Texas at Dallas. It is more of an academic based college but there are a lot of clubs to join to get involved and to meet fellow students with similar interests.

Gem

If you're looking for a small community and life, this university could be for you. It's obvious that it's no college town and it's not the most hype in terms of sports, but that doesn't mean this school doesn't give you the academics you need. UT Dallas is known to be nerdy, from having quidditch to Pokemon tournaments around. It also has more competitive spirit for a chess team than a sports team. No, it's not a party school, but that's not a bad thing if that's not what you're looking for.

Ricardo

I enjoy attending The University of Texas at Dallas. The academics and facility are great, and the people are nice. The downside is the social life of lack there of. This school isn't known for being a party school, so most people know what they are getting into.

Haley

Great academics and opportunity for graduates to find a job; great athletics and opportunity to play in recreational and club teams as well; good food options; transportation services are very helpful; the dorms are amazing with single bedrooms in a suite

The university of Texas at Dallas is a safe, fun, academically challenging, and affordable university. Despite being one of the most expensive public schools in the state of Texas, they offer LOTS of scholarship opportunities. I transferred to UT Dallas from Collin College and it was fiscally, academically, and emotionally the best decision I could have ever made. Their faculty is amazing in their ability to help students inside and outside of the classroom in their path towards a career. The campus has a great social life in all the many clubs and organizations there, especially in Greek life.

Anthony

A generous school with regards to scholarships, but a little apathetic with solving student concerns, re: accessibility, professors, etc. There is not a strong campus culture, but there are very strong LGBT+ groups and resources. UTD is always under construction and is attempting to attract bright and innovative students.

Chase

To be honest, I really enjoy this campus and I feel like this was the right choice for me. I have never met so many people who are just like me. They are passionate, kind and love what they are hoping to do. But most importantly, I feel safe here on campus.

Catherine

UTD has a very diverse population and all of which are very friendly people. In any classroom, everyone has their own thought process however you are able to speak your mind because everyone is open-minded. Through the competitiveness comes long-term friendships and everyone is so supportive with the decisions you make and will give constructive criticism when needed.

ana

One word that describes UTD is diversity. From the moment you walk into campus you see people from all over the world. Everyone is so different but at the same time so welcoming. Everyone who I have encountered are very friendly and helpful whether you need a dollar for a water or to print out some papers at the library. UTD has been the school I always wanted to go to since I could remember and it has not disappointed me. The teachers I have this semester a great, they know their material and are confident in what they do. They are also funny and I can definitely see they are interested in their students education.

Kaitlyn

It's a really great university that is open to students of all cultures. Everyone is really nice and helpful if you ever find yourself in need of an extra hand. There are so many wonderful clubs that students are encouraged to join so that there is something on campus for everyone.

Jacob

The University of Texas at Dallas, or UTD, is the less know but kinda respected University of Texas. That doesn't mean it is any worse though. The classes are challenging and the instructors expect you to do all the work on your own time. The housing situation is terrible. I applied for housing on campus about 7 months ago and didn't hear back from them until the week school started. Off campus is hit or miss. DON'T live in any of the apartment on McCallum if you don't want roaches. (They are bad.) You may, if you want to live off campus have to drive, since most of the apartments the transit crosses are either gross or too expensive for a student. Student organizations really stay in there bubbles, you'll have to actively find student organizations if you want to take part in that. This is not a party school, this is a nerd school. All in all UTD is a fine school. It is very new and that shows, as there are very little in traditions here. Like any college if you want it to be fun it will be, and if you don't it can be a nightmare.

Ritika

The University of Texas of Dallas located in Richardson, Texas could not be a more aesthetically pleasing university. The university ensures that students who are dedicated to their academics will succeed and be debt free, as numerous merit scholarships are provided. Additionally, the resources provided for students such as the student success center and the activity center are available for any student that desires to use them. The faculty are very kind and willing to help students who demonstrate interest and passion. I thank UT Dallas for providing me with an excellent education and a wonderful undergraduate experience.

The University of Texas at Dallas is a wonderful school and very competitive academically. The professors are amazing and are always available to help the students succeed. The university provides various opportunities for students to be successful with the use of programs and assistance. My overall opinion of the University is that it is a wonderful school to attend when pursuing a degree.

Jana

It's amazing school with a great culture and many people to make sure you get the help you need and stay safe in school. Even just visiting you can tell how beautiful and loved the campus is as well as how much money has gone into keeping the school up to date

William

The University of Texas at Dallas is a great Unviersity for students who just want to focus on their career, and nothing more. The professors and curriculum are top notch, and everyone is there because they want to be there. If you put effort into your classes here, you will be duelly awarded. The social scene at the University is most definitely existent, but small compared to other major Universitys. This is mainly because a large portion of the student body commutes there, and secondly because there is a large intellectual culture there. While walking around the campus, you will find many people plying video games in the labs, playing card games on the tables, or board games in the lounges. It is most definitely more of a "nerdy" culture, and less "sportsy", if you will accept the usage of these words. Overall, I was definitely iffy about attending this University. But after discovering it's amazing computer science and A-Tec program, I was convinced. I do feel slightly cheated in the "college experience" department, but I feel heavily blessed in the "actually learning stuff" department. I can really feel my brain and self being challenged, something I rarely if ever really felt in highschool.

Laura

I love my school! We are all about the hardwork and no partying. I feel safe at all times, even at night. It’s definitely one of the most difficult schools around the DFW area. However, to have UTD behind your name after graduation is very prestigious.

Amulya

UT Dallas is a great value public school in the state of Texas. It is a more academically inclined school, so there are plenty of opportunities to get involved academically on campus. Social life is not too big, but you can usually find good people around. Greek life is not prevalent, but many people join and have fun.

The University of Texas at Dallas is a very good place for students who just want to get their degree, make a few networking connections, and then move on. A good amount of people get involved on campus, but it is not nearly as active in comparison to other universities. To be frank, I have personally found it very hard to find fun stuff to do at UTD, and in turn, I have found nothing that helps me unwind from the rigorous work that STEM majors are given. With that being said, your on-campus life might not be the best, but you will look very marketable in the eyes of employers you seek in the future.

Angeles

My overall opinion of The University of Texas at Dallas is that it is highly focused on academics. There wasn't that much mention of sports when I visited, but I wasn't interested in sports anyway. The students that were also interested in the college seemed to value academics as well as I do. I would recommend this college to someone who highly values academics over extracurricular activities.