The University of Texas at San Antonio Top Questions

I've been to a number of private universities labeled as "stellar institutions," but I have to give UTSA my approval. Don't be fooled by its label as a "public institution" with high acceptance rates. No SANE PERSON has ever said that a great education requires arrogant professors and failing grades. Yes, admittedly, UTSA has its arrogant professors, but they are avoidable (sometimes). UTSA becomes a second home, despite the laziness of its advisers and lackluster campus decorum. Teachers are reputable and the food is great (not much variety, though). The student body is heavily diverse; I see Indians, Asians, Hispanics, and Whites at every corner. Take it upon yourself to excel as English majors. Don't expect professors to carry you to the top. Choose your courses WISELY. This is the most important advice that I can give you. If you want to make the most out of your undergraduate career at UTSA, then choose the right professors to assist you in achieving your goals. There are amazing professors from Duke, UPenn, and Stanford that aren't condescending fools.

No not at all.

Owen

Though the situation has been steadily improving in recent years, UTSA's reputation as a "commuter school" is still largely accurate. The university began that way in the late sixties, and that early influence carries over today. The "commuter school" image is perhaps best exemplified in UTSA's small contingent of on-campus residents, which only makes up a ninth or so of the entire student body. However, direct and indirect steps (including more on-campus housing and activities) are being taken to steer the university away from this condition. On the other hand, the stereotype about UTSA students using the university as a substitute, of sorts, for UT is largely false. Certainly those cases represent a percentage of the student population, but a far greater number happily attend UTSA as a first choice. It's said that even of the students who planned to transfer out after the first year, a majority decide that they like the school after all and decide to stay.

Stef

Not sure.