The University of Texas at San Antonio Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Texas at San Antonio

Nicholas

I really like this school its not far away from home and i like to visit it whenever i get the opportunity to. I really fell in love with their rec center , its mesmerizing

Katie

UTSA is probably one of the most difficult schools to attend. Not academics wise, but life wise. It is very expensive and the financial aid department is awful and little help. The classes will almost always be in a lecture hall, there is very little one on one with professors. The class sizes are huge my smallest class is 40 and the next classes after that can range from 50 to 100. It is a party school and is very noisy on the weekends. The dorms are paper thin and have awful smells. The population is very diverse which might be the only upside besides being so close to other stores. Also there is absolutely no parking because 75% of the parking is under construction. So even if you do have a car you might have to park somewhere else and take the bus. Just hope your car won't get towed which is very common for UTSA.

Darrian

UTSA is a really great place to learn and make all types of new experiences and memories with. The education is top notch and the sports games are always exciting and energetic. There are always events everyday that you can go to and they are always fun and interactive for everyone in the community. UTSA is one top-notch school!

Justin

UTSA isn't the most exciting school, but it has a lot to offer. There are plenty of clubs and organizations to take part in, and there are always students with booths set up welcoming you to join them. The food options are somewhat limited, and there's always a long line at every restaurant on campus. The parking is terrible, especially towards the beginning of the semester. So far, my academic experience has been okay. I've had some professors that know the subject they're teaching extremely well, and I know some instructors that had barely more knowledge on their subject than I did. For the price, I feel it is a good choice of a University.

Hugo

It's okay, could be better. There aren't enough classes available and the ones that are there usually suck as far scheduling goes. Parking has definitely gotten better since I used to drop my sister off at school, so that has worked out for me now that I go here. I wish there were more clubs about hobbies, though. One thing I can't stand is the Blackboard system they use. Canvas at Northwest Vista was tremendously better. Overall, it's not a bad school.

Overall, it is a very good school with a variety of mentors and professors who understand that each student comes from a different background and has different needs. The Top Scholar program is life changing and offers a level of support unheard of.

Brianna

UTSA has been a great school so far. My teachers have been awesome and willing to help. The class sizes have also been very reasonable. My classmates have been great also everyone, for the most part, is willing to help each other out. The environment of the school is very comforting and I feel safe on campus.

I am going to be graduating in 2020 and am very interested in attending UTSA. I have gotten the opportunity to visit the campus twice now. All my expectations were met with flying colors. I would love to attend this great university. I never had a dream college until I went to visit this campus.

Tiffany

UTSA has such a beautiful culture and such a variety of people that add so much to the student body. I go to a very unique university in that there are many backgrounds when it comes to the age and experiences of seniors. As a business student thus has helped me tremendously in that I can ask so many questions about the business world when there are so many experiences from other students. The faculty also provides us with extensive knowledge that goes beyond the information of the classroom. Great school!

Arianna

I love the atmosphere at UTSA. It is a whole different feeling than what it is back home. The diversity at UTSA is huge and that plays a huge roll in our everyday learning. I have made many new friends and I know that I will make plenty more. I would give UTSA a solid 10 out of 10.

its a very good school, it is fairly new so they still have some growing to do. However, overall is a great environment. The class size is perfect, and they really have a way of helping freshman to get adjusted into the campus it starts to feel like home in no time.

Abigail

I honestly love attending this school! There are many things to get involved in and the academics are great! All the professors are fantastic!

Clarissa

I love the Academic Cultures and how everything is balanced in all categories from sports to science and everything in between. They have many clubs and organizations that can help any student get involved as well as many different festivals such as First Gen Fest that can give students an opportunity to relax and have some fun. The academics are great since there are so many resources that students can use, such as the Writing Center and Academic Coaching, to assist a student when they need help. They take very good care of students by offering things such as Counseling to make sure that every student is taken care of and given help they need whenever they need it. I have never been happier to go to an amazing school!

Kaitlyn

The University of Texas at San Antonio is a great school. There is a stigma surrounding it that it is a party school where no one cares about their grades, however the University is actually extremely academic. The teachers are (mostly) phenomenal, there are many academic and tutoring services, and your peers are dedicated to getting good grades. You can still find a party if you are into that, however the school is definitely gaining wider academic acknowledgment. The food on campus is great, and the on-campus housing options are amazing for first year students. I still cannot believe I got my own room my freshman year, with my own bathroom, and living room and kitchen shared with a roommate. UTSA is one of the only schools in Texas that offers that. Definitely consider UTSA, it's amazing!

alexa

I really like it and I like the way people are they are every friendly and I would be happy to attend your campus

David

UTSA has given me a great opportunity to obtain my Bachelor's degree in a great setting. I was able to transfer 31 dual enrollment hours I took in my local community college while in High School. I also had the ability to test out of four classes through CLEP tests. With that said, I was able to graduate at 20 years old.

Neryth

It is an amazing campus where you really feel part of a family. UTSA is my home away from home. There's plenty of things to do, such as joining organizations, attending games, intramural sports, and several cultural activities done every week. UTSA is definitely one of the best universitites in Texas.

Tanya

UTSA is truly a great campus to learn both about the intended material but also about growing as a human being in society. The teachers participate actively in meeting the students, and the faculty will go out of there way to make students feel listened to and valid. The main buildings are located very closely to each other, but parking can be trouble managing so they provide buses to transport you back and forth. Overall, its a very great school where the students love asking questions and learn as much as they can.

Alexandra

It is a great campus from the outside and the inside! The students are extremely friendly and so are the staff. It is an extremely safe environment and widely diverse. The on-campus housing is affordable and there are many options to choose from. It has such an amazing scenery and never feels overcrowded.

Grecia

I think that UTSA is a great school because it is incredibly affordable and very diverse. We have very nice state-of-the-art facilities, and so many resources that often students are not aware of how much is really at their hands. UTSA is a commuter school, with majority of its students living off campus. I think that sometimes this affects students school spirit, as many students spend more time off campus and thus may be more involved in events outside of the school. However, that is not to say that there is no school pride. From our sports teams to our marching band to the fans (alumni, students, and family), there is plenty of school spirit to go around. If one is willing to explore and do more than academics, they will also find that there is always something to do, from watching free movies on weekends, to getting free popcorn on day of the week, to having guest speakers and many events throughout the semester. Opportunities for fun, learning, and growth are always around, and so is support to do so.

The University of San Antonio really sparked my interests, especially when I was a freshmen. The University of San Antonio has so many amazing opportunities in terms of degree plans, extra activities and even peer student mentor ship! There are activities such as Rock-Climbing, Wake boarding, and are very active regarding their political stance. People are very open to discussion and super ready for learning!

Karen

It Seems like a very fundamental program for education. I would just like to receive more information on the opportunities that UTSA provides. I’ve heard many great things about this school and I would like to go to school here as well, due to how much this school is involved with our community. It seems like a very uplifting and encouraging, learning environment.

Jacob

It seems very open and inspiring to education. The campus displays a beautiful view and the location is very central to San Antonio. The feeling when walking campus i s very calming and inclines intellectual as well as lighthearted conversations. The atmosphere is great for learning and socializing at the same time.

Kaci

The University of Texas at San Antonio is a great school. Professors are super helpful, students are kind, and the facilities are accessible and adequate. This campus is very diverse in culture, so there are always great conversations going on between groups and tons of tables set up around campus to discuss any topic you want.

Elyzabeth

I honestly loved it.

joshua

I seethe University of Texas at San Antonio as a very good school that will always have options for people who know or don't know what they want to do they have good living arrangements and well teachings . i know many people who have attended or attending this school and they have nothing bad to say about it at all .

kendall

I think that the school is an amazing match to what I want in a school to earn my education. It is an ideal distance from where I live and it seems very welcoming. I also like that the school is trying to build something amazing. I would love to be a part of the greatness that the school is trying to achieve.

Adelyn

The University of Texas at San Antonio is a very welcoming campus, and offers many useful amenities to its students and guests. The students are very eager to work together, and the professors are very accessible outside of class hours. The campus itself is a warm environment.

Ramiro

My overall opinion without a bias is UTSA is a truly an amazing school , many resources , organizations , clubs, sport and activities besides just academics definitely a recommended school if you want to get out your comfort zone. Also being really close to Six flags fiesta Texas and huge outdoor mall walking distance is really nice and convenient when you may have those big times gaps.

Jake

With what I want to do, which is to study law enforcement and eventually be an FBI agent, The University of Texas at San Antonio is hands-down the best school with me, and that's just for the academics alone. Add the amazing campus and the wide variety of extracurricular activities available, this has the ability to be the best school in Texas.

Nadeen

It's good school overall, it has a fun atmosphere to meet new people and step out of your comfort zone from when you were college.

Vanessa

I think that UTSA has a great campus in regards to safety. I always feel safe walking late at night because there are many policemen patrolling around, and the on-campus housing is also very high security. Professors, for the most part, are always available and the food is pretty good.

Diana

If you want a very detailed opinion and description of UTSA, look no further! My freshman year, I lived at the dorms here. I think I had a unique experience in that I lived in 3 different ones over the course of the first semester. For the first two weeks, I was University Oaks. It isn’t managed by UTSA and is sometimes considered “on campus” and other times not. Don’t live there. Don’t even let yourself consider it. Even if you’re a freshman and don’t have a car and don’t know anyone and want to be “on campus” DO NOT. The rooms are tiny (and when I say tiny, I mean you can walk beside your twin bed, but another person couldn’t walk beside you at the same time). The walls are paper thin (your neighbor can speak at a normal volume and you can hear them perfectly word for word), there are lots of bugs, and for the price you could go somewhere else. Even if you don’t have a car, there is a shuttle to take you to campus constantly from almost all other student living places, and your roommates will most likely have a car anyways if you’re off campus. Chaparral Village is the newer bigger dorm, but they’re the farthest from classes and at least a 15 minute walk. They do have a nice amount of washer and dryers and are super close to the cafe. You get your own room and share a bathroom with another person. They don’t always do a good job of matching you with someone you’re compatible with though. Everything is decent, but wifi does go out occasionally so don’t take a online test unless you’re sure your professor will open it if you get logged off (go to the library for that). I lived there for a while and the room itself is decent, but since it has wood floors in the kitchenette/ living area, it kind of echoes if your roommates get home and are loud. Laurel Village is the closest to classes, less than a 5 minute walk but a little older. The rooms are basically the same as Chap, the only difference is that the toilets have a lid you can put down and chap doesn’t. Laurel has less dryers and carpet in the living room so it’s a little more quiet. Alvarez is another dorm that is a little more for people who enjoy being alone. You get your own room, which has a window that doesn’t open, a little sink, and then you share a bathroom with another person, but you basically could live there a whole year and not really talk to them. It kind of resembles a building with offices and little lobbies on each floor as opposed to Chap and Laurel which are outside and have apartment and building numbers. There’s also Chisholm Hall, which supposedly used to be a prison and kind of looks like it. It’s even farther from classes because it’s behind Chap, but they advertise to be the cheapest rooms, the drawback being it’s the only one where you actually have to share a room with someone. It’s apparently a close knit community of people if you enjoy living there. As far as the campus goes, there are a ton of people that go here, but it feels pretty small because most of the buildings are in a big square and easy to navigate once you understand how the room numbers work. They’re pretty old and not the cutest or most artsy, but considering the campus was founded in 1969, there’s only so much they can do with giant blocks of concrete. There’s a lot of construction happening now since it’s expanding so much. Student housing with a shuttle or carpooling is probably the best, because parking is absolutely TERRIBLE. After 8am fall semester there are no spots and you probably have to take the shuttle from outlying lots. It gets better as the semester goes on and less people go to class. Spring is a little less busy. Parking passes are expensive and a parking garage pass is even worse, coming in at over $800 a year. You can park there and pay a couple of dollars per hour during emergencies where you’re running late, missed the bus, or couldn’t find parking. There’s some forest/thick brush around campus so occasionally you may see a couple of deer. During the fall there’s normally a weird cricket/grasshopper swarm for like a week or two followed by a crazy butterfly migration where millions of them fly and the sky looks like it's blowing around tiny fragments of broken leaves. Most of the time it’s sunny and not humid so being outside is kind of nice. There are tons of clubs to join, and it’s one of the easiest ways to make friends besides sitting next to people in class and introducing them. There’s lots of ways to get involved at UTSA, and even start your own club if you want. Frat and Sororities are also part of the picture, but they’re not the whole campus considering there are no official houses for them. During the first week of school there are Roadrunner Days where the University has performers, or rents out a venue at 6 Flags and you basically get free stuff for celebrating a new semester. There’s also Best Fest, which is like a UTSA carnival with food and rides, as well as Fiesta later in the year which is a lot of food and colors. Sporting events and rides to football games are easily accessible, but it’s up to you and your friend group to choose to go consistently or not. The rec (gym) is pretty nice and they have plenty of equipment on top of group classes you can take, personal trainers and even cooking classes. The clinic is right next to it and also super helpful during minor medical emergencies. This isn’t exactly a prestigious ivy league school, but there are some great professors and ways to challenge yourself academically here. Of course there are a few bad ones in certain departments, but using Rate My Professor for classes every semester, you can sign up for people who you think suit your learning style the best, or are easy A’s or just straight up are the only ones that don’t suck. Labs are going to be the hardest classes to get into, and fill up within minutes, so make sure not to wait till the last minute to register (You get an academic advisor who also helps you sign up for the right classes, which can be confusing at first. It’s hit or miss if you like them or not though). Unfortunately schedules get a little less flexible the higher up you go, because fewer professors offer them and the university focuses a lot on having enough time slots for intro/basic classes, because incoming freshman every year are a huge number of the school. As far as financial aid goes, this isn’t a super cheap school, but it really depends on your fafsa and how the school is feeling, because lots of people come for free while others have to take out loans and get virtually no aid despite being from the same income bracket. Unfortunately, tends housing is even more expensive than tuition, and books can be a pain in the butt to buy. Don’t go to the bookstore for the text if you can get it somewhere else, because they’ll rip you off by dozens if not hundreds of dollars. Look for a free/older version online, or go to the library and check it out when you need to, or scan and email it to yourself. Some professors will even let you borrow their copy during their office hours. Overall, this UTSA is a great school to go to if you’re considering it. Or even if it’s your safety school. You can basically do whatever you want, because it’s a pretty chill environment. You’re going to make friends because a lot of people come here wanting to do the same, and you’re also probably going to have drama and growing pains. The transition for some people from high school to college might be a little rocky, but once you get into the groove of things with deadlines managing your schedule, being a student is super fun. Just make sure you know how to yield and use roundabouts. Also, don’t change seats throughout the year, you mess up the delicate system of unspoken unassigned spots. These few couple of years fly by, so don’t waste them slacking off or studying too hard; find a balance.

Labria

The school is decent, but honestly if you do not have a car then that puts a limit on the opportunities that you can participate in. It can get boring at times, I truthfully feel like this is a school that you really have to make the most of or else all you’ll do is complain. Promoting groups sucks, and the only time people really know about the school is when it’s tied to Travis Scott or Chi Alpha and you would think since Travis lived around here the school would math the hype, but they dont. Kinda lame, but the education system is decent.

The University of Texas at San Antonio has been my top choice for a very long time because of all the extraordinary aspects. It is a beautiful campus with an amazing student body who are always very kind and happy to help those in need. The academics are top notch with an amazing national ranked Cybersecurity program. I am proud to be a future UTSA roadrunner.

Analis

I was skeptical at first, but now as a current student in my sophomore year, I could not have found a better school that I fit in at. The school has many organizations for you to join, many resources to help you thrive not only in academics but outside of school as well. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The students are very diverse and push each other to achieve more. UTSA is growing and becoming an amazing school year by year. From holding concerts on the lawn to yoga sessions on the lawn, to having vegan option on campus to letting students rent chargers, and iclickers from the library, overall the school has many great qualities.

The University of Texas at San Antonio is an outstanding college who stands out amongst nearby colleges. There is always something to do on or around campus and the environment set by the students is incredible. You feel at home and welcomed by faculty, students, and even their furry friends. Academically, we offer several programs and opportunities to whatever your career goal might be. Lastly, there is a ton of resources available for any category. Whether it is a simple cold or help on an internship interview, the resources on campus are very accessible and everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand. Overall, I am very happy with my choice to attend this school and am excited about what this school might offer for my future.

Liliana

I feel UTSA is a good school overall, from academics, to diversity, to professors, to extracurriculars, to the overall atmosphere. I actually work at The University of Texas at San Antonio and I love how considerate they are with scheduling for me, and since working I have been able to stay on campus longer, able to see how the afternoon is on campus, it is very relaxed and I feel safe on campus.

Francisco

I am currently a freshman at UTSA thriving for a bachelor's degree on Civil Engineering. Although i'm still trying to adjust myself and feel part of UTSA, I can genuinely imply that I am proud to be a roadrunner at such a vibrant university. The faculty and staff are extremely ebullient and I feel as if I have found a second home. The people here at UTSA are very spirited, genuine, and authentic, which is something that I highly describe myself as within society. Ever since I was a young child, my surroundings have had a tremendous impact towards my academic achievements, struggles and journey. Although I was always seen as an outsider, my personal and educational environmental lifestyles have given me the opportunity to become a leader I’ve always hoped to be. My family has had an extreme influence on my academic achievements, in which they would always try to encourage me to make the correct decisions and to take the path less explored, leading me to make my best decision and attending UTSA. As an undergraduate, I want to aspire other people towards their goal and to never give up on their dreams. UTSA clubs and campus activities want students to be determined towards their desires and overcome their barriers in their lives, which really persuades me to be part of one in the nearest future. My surroundings have made an ebullient individual and I am capable of making a change in someone else’s life if I am given the perfect opportunity to do so. I am confident that my university will make a positive impact in my adolescent life, and I am certain that my adulthood will be full of educational and personal struggles, leading me to become a successful individual and accomplish my future career goal as a civil engineer, being able to make a change for a better state of society.

Jhaden

I fell in love with the school the minute I stepped foot onto it during a high school field trip 2 years ago. Ever since then, I knew I wanted to go here and so far I am not disappointed. Everyone is great and I wish nothing but the best for all my fellow classmates. Go RoadRunners!

Janine

The University of Texas at San Antonio was a stepping stone school for me. To be as real as possible, I almost stayed. The campus is great. It is clean and everyone is very friendly. There are many resources available to students to make their college experience as easy and successful as possible. I would recommend this school to anyone. The academics, resources, professors, and campus are GREAT and very underrated!!!!

Paige

The school is pretty good. So far all my professors are caring individuals and very patient with the students and will take the necessary time and effort to help a student who is struggling with a concept. The sports scene is not very big but there many clubs that one can join. Food and Dorms are mediocre, the food is mostly fast food and more expensive than off campus and the dorms are older, run down but cheaper than living off campus.

Mika

Very focused on STEM majors. The arts don't really get much in the way of recognition, and accessibility to them is nearly impossible. It's really easy to meet with professors, and a lot of them seem to enjoy their jobs. I think the best way to improve the school would be to shift it into a more Liberal Arts style school rather than Research University.

Makayla

Overall, the university is a good school, but it has much more unmet potential. Granted, the university is young, only fifty years old, but San Antonio is a culture rich area that the university should take more advantage of. The university needs to do more national outreach, rather than to just Texas residents. If the school was more known nationwide, there would be a bigger student population and even more opportunities for the school as a whole.

Luisa

UTSA is a great school to attend. During my first year I felt comfortable and safe. The professors are nice and caring. The people are friendly and helpful. There are many activities in which students can participate. School is a fun place to be when attending UTSA.

The University of Texas at San Antonio provides a plethora of tools to help their students succeed. The class sizes are a bit large, but after the first semester you will adjust to the teaching style of a big lecture class. I have enjoyed all of the opportunities this campus offers its students.

Paulina

When I think of UTSA, what first comes to mind is amicable smiles and the smell of Chick Fil-A emanating from the generously-spaced cafeteria. Ever since I first stepped on that campus, I've always felt a sense of comfort and freedom to be myself because students are generally accepting and respect other's uniqueness. UTSA holds a special place in my heart because it has allowed me to find a wonderful group of friends in a short period of time after struggling for several months to "fit in." Prior to attending UTSA, I had been dealing with many changes in my life and I was constantly moving from one city to another due to financial issues, which complicated my ability to establish long-lasting friendships. However, UTSA made that possible for me thanks to its standards and the community it has built over time. Go Runners!

Courtney

The professors are engaged and always willing to help. The teachers are what make college life helpful and meaningful. This campus is amazing and the grounds are always clean.

Ashlynn

I believe this school is pretty good so far. I haven’t experienced anything bad so far. I enjoyed every professor I’ve taken. The academics are excellent and the professors actually take the time and patience to work with you. The ones I’ve had don’t want any student to fail so they do their best to make sure you retain the knowledge. I have been having trouble with my financial aid every year. That gets pretty annoying to call the financial aid office and come out of pocket when they say FAFSA would take care of it. Overall I do give this college a great rating and I will know and forever be a roadrunner.