The University of Texas at Tyler Top Questions

Dominique

If I could talk to myslef as a high school senior I would share the importance of patience, setting goals, and making well throughtout decisions. I would tell myself to maximize on your youth and get as much education you can, in order to put yourself in a position to a career, not a job, and ultimately financial freedom. I would let my younger self know quick money is not as important as consistent money. I would stress the importance of having balance in life between family, work, and friends. Lastly, I would say not to be so hard on myself, embrace the good with the bad, and accept the lesson in order to truly learn from it.

Sylvia

Check the due date of the scholarships that you are applying for, and check it twice. Sometimes you will get two different dates and be out of luck if submittion is late.

Derek

The main piece of advise that I would give to my senior self is not to give up, and keep studying. When I first got out into the world of college, I was scared by the loans, and at the time, I had a falling out with my dad. This really made me depressed, and so the first semester of college, I pretty much gave up on my classes and stopped caring about my grades. At this point in my life, I've fully picked myself back up, and now I'm making a 4.0 gpa, and I feel more confident with myself after overcoming my depression. I'm not sure if I would actually change anything however, because I truly believe that by overcoming this failure and depression, I am now a stronger person than I was, and I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

Kalika

Start on scholarships and time management sooner, also start preparing to decorate your space - it costs more than you'd expect. Also, get more involved and take time out to do the things you enjoy with your friends.

Logan

I would tell myself to stop stressing out, that its not as bad as it seems and to not worry about college, but enjoy the rest of high school. I would tell myself that you are smart, outgoing, and athletic and college is going to be the best thing thats ever happened to you, but the nervousness has got to go. The insecurities are unneccesary and that will hold you back from doing things that are out of your comfort zone. The transition will be tough, but thats the worse part. It'll be hard forcing yourself to go to class when you "technically" don't have to, but it'll be worth it when you get that 4.0. Avoid the frat boys, they are no good. Playing volleyball will give you the best friends you could ever imagine and they will remain your friends far after the game is over. Overall, remember your self worth and never give up on yourself. You can do this. Just breathe. Get out there and give it your all. Your are smart enough, pretty enough, and brave enough. Don't ever let someone tell you different.

Eryn

Don't act like you know everything, Eryn. Calm down and listen to what these people are telling you, they know what they are talking about and you will NEED this information soon. I know that you want to be finished with high school and out of your parents house and that is coming all too soon. Do not rush anything. Take all of it in, and don't fight constantly with your parents. College life is grand, you are great, and you will be perfectly fine. I promise that you stay on track and you will struggle some, but it only makes you stronger. My advice is to relax. Take the time to make new friends, because that is how you will survive your life. Be thankful Eryn for you have turned out to be a great young lady and the people you have surrounded yourself with are only proof of that. While at first the transition will seem tough, you'll see what I mean soon enough, the person you are becoming is breathtaking, and we will both be proud. So worry a little less, don't stress everything, and enjoy all that is around you right now.

Janet

Focus on getting the best grades possbile. Don't merely focus on being in all upper level classes. Get the highest grades possible. Have a goal to complete your college applications before October. Give your Texas schools more prefrence than your out of state applications. You should use different study methods such as using a series of flashcards to study for an exam, alternating between subjects while reviewing for exams, or have study partners quiz you on information so that it is not in front of you. A must for college is knowing and establishing a good relationship with your professors. Reach out to your teachers now by asking questions, even if you know the material. Those teachers can potentially become prime candidates for writing letters of recommendations. I know that if you fully apply yourself to experiment with various study methods, consolidate information for tests, develop good communication skills and understand the importance of establishing academic relationships, you will go beyond the horizon and succeed in college. For now, keep striving for good grades and continue to study for those standardized tests. College will come faster than you expect, your future is waiting.

Not to be so concerned about the people I meet. The students are more than willing to help out new freshmen and transfers. I would also tell myself not to wait to join campus programs such as SGA and GATE. I found out too late only Freshmen could join GATE, and that has become a huge regret. I would tell myself to travel and make new connections with the people I meet in the groups I am with. This school wasn't as cut throat as I expected, but it is still an expensive choice.

Mia

If I went back in time and talked to myself as a high school senior, I would give alot of helpful advice. First, college marks how much you have grown and now it is time to start the rest of your life. It is extremely scary, but think of it as the adventure it truly is. In the beginning, make time for school work, social activities, working out, and going to the store for necessities. A balance of each equals a happy life. Make many friends in the beginning, because they will be the ones next to you when you are in need. Do not be afraid of what people think about you. Also, do not hang out with your roommates constantly; the relationship will turn against you. So, hang out with other friends you make. Overall, first two months at college are the hardest; being away from your loved ones and home are extremely difficult. Put all of your trust in God and pray because He knows what is best and will guide you in the right direction.

Nora

College is hard work. You're not going to just slide by and get through with a blink of an eye. Study everyday and mentally prepare yourself for your future career.

Amy

When I was a high school senior, going to college was not something I really wanted to think about. I felt as though it was very stressful and many times thought I would not end up attending college. I was also scared and did not think it was something I could do. If I could go back in time and talk to myself during this stage of my life, I would tell myself that attending college is very important even though it may be stressful at times. I would also tell myself that it will only makes things better in the long run. Attending and graduting from college can help you be more successful in the future. It may be scary, but everyone who chooses to has to go through it as well. All of the other incoming freshman are in the same position and may feel the same exact way.

Haja

In high school I did not know, as I do now all to well, how expensive obtaining a higher education really is. When I was in high school I was under the impression that my financial aid would completely cover all my college expenses, so when I was told to apply for scholarships, I didn't listen. I presently am feeling the pinch of my not so wise decision. If I was granted the opportunity to go back in time, this is what i would say to my former self: " Self, try to find as many resources you can to help pay for college or you'll be sure to regret it." Now all I can do is wish I knew then ... what I know now.

Marianna

When I think back to myself as a senior in high school, it relieves me greatly that I am the only one that can do so! Fortunately, the people I consort with these days have the incredible advantage of knowing me as an adult and not as the awkward seventeen year old with the bad haircut. It was the 90's after all. Do I want to go back? Absolutely not! But if I could give my old self some advice it would be as follows: - have fun! Don't turn down weekends, spring breaks, or summer get aways with your friends. Make it happen because you will never look as good in a bathing suit again! - don't take the full loan amount. It will take you eleven years to pay it off...at 2{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} interest. - be active on campus! It is college after all and when you hear about other people's experiences later on, you'll wish you had. Lastly, enjoy the experience. One day you will wake up, have a spouse, two kids, and a dog...and you're trying to go back! Only this time....you won't look as good in a bathing suit.

Amber

I have gained knowledge that could not be attained without a secondary education. I have made great friends, met wonderful professors and I have gained a self confidence that would have been nearly impossible to reach in everyday life. Although I'm just beginning, UT Tyler is definitely going to make me the intelligent, career ready person so I can go places!

JASMA

UT Tyler has given me friends for a live time. This school isn't as big as most UT system schools so its easy to meet new people and become friends in no time. Even if you met someone only once, the next time you see them they will remember and you all will speak to each other. This has also been a great school for networking. The Career Center here provides its students with the maxiumum amount of opprotunities to get an internship or possiblely a job through mulitple job fairs. However the most important thing i think i have gotten out of my experience here is the sense of belonging. When you feel like you belong somewhere, you do much better. Feeling like I belonged here made my college years seem much more valuable.

Areli

As a freshman in college, I have gone through major changes and obstacles; leaving home, meeting new people, paying my own bills, and picking up after myself are just a few things I have had to accustom to. Even though it has been hard I am thankful for the obstacles thrown at me because it has made me a much more responsible individual, and I am able to view life in a very different way. Attending college has made me realize what the real world is really all about and what I want to make of myself. This year has been filled with new expierences that made me uncomfortable at times but as each day goes by I am grateful because I am able to view the world differently and set my priorities straight.

Jordan

Playing a varsity sport while juggling classes has brought me to an understanding of what it takes to handle multiple responsibilties at the same time. I really like the way coaches focus us on school more than sports.

David

I have gotten the chance to better myself through a great education. The campus is practically a private school education at a state school price. The experience of attending this college has been so valuable because it is preparing me for my future as well as providing plenty of opportunities to get involved both in my community and in my campus. I love that UT Tyler has a ton of socially geared events in order to get people involved in each others lives. The few years I will spend at UT Tyler will not easily be forgotten and the education I recieve will last a lifetime!

I would tell my high school self to learn how to study for comprehensive exams. My high school allowed students to be exempt from final exams and I never learned the study habits that it takes in college. I was shocked when it came to take my first college final and I didnt know the right study ways. I would also tell my high school self to always read read read. In order to be sucessful in college, reading is necessary. I wouls also tell myself that I should take my time to have fun and meet new people. I was on the dance team for 2 years and I didnt branch out as much as I would have like. I am taking the next to years to really get to know all my Level 1 mursing classmates on a personal friendship level.

Laura

College has been a great experience so far and I thoroughly enjoy the daily challenges of becoming a more mature individual. However, if I could start over again, I would get more involved with the school and better organize my daily schedule. Being involed in college is very important because this allows you to meet more students, which leads to valuable friendships. This also allows you to meet more staff, giving you the opportunity to build connections, a very important skill for both school and the workforce. Getting involved in different clubs and organizations also looks great on resumes for the future! Secondly, I would also put more emphasis on my daily organization. Using a planner is a great tool to the difficult task of prioritizing. Grades always come first so studying should be at the top of the list. It is also important to incorporate time for excercise and fun with friends, because this will alow you to be healthy and get the most out of the college experience. Sleep is another vital aspect that should be incorporated because this allows you fully recharge and have energy through out the day. These two changes can be very beneficial!

Callie

My advice to myself would be to remain true to the values that were instilled in me and not to succomb to the party life that is so prevalent on college campuses. Freedom from parental control means that you must now be the one to impose rules on yourself. Don't be afraid to be the one who imparts wisdom to your friends regarding drinking and promiscuity. Time management becomes your number one priority; procrastination is your worst enemy. Grades came easy in high school, but they won't be so easy in college. Take all the AP courses you can and study hard for the exams. Any courses you can place out of will save you tons of tuition money. You worked hard in high school to achieve a high GPA; it can also be done in college with alot of hard work and determination. Apply for scholarships to lessen the burden of sky-rocketing tuition costs. If you room with your best friend from high school, you may not be friends after the first semester. Enjoy making new friends, but most of all, remember WHY you are at college- to earn a degree and become a productive citizen.

Taylor

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school, I would go back and tell myself that my closest friends will be found in college. In high school I did not have many friends and I realize now it did not matter. After one semester in college, I have met some of the most amazing people and will be friends with them for the rest of my life. Your true friends will show random acts of kindness when you least expect it. I would also tell myself I made the right choice by taking dual credit classes in high school. After taking dual credit classes, I am ahead in school and am one step closer to graduation and fulfilling my dream of becoming one of the top physical therapist in the state of Texas.

Katlyn

Although the transition to adulthood is scary there are are certain things that will prevent stress and aggrevation in the future. Money is the one major factor in the decisions that I make now I am a college student. Increasing savings in high school would not only have saved some time and preparation now but in the even distant future after college. Senior year which is also known as the "slack off year" is one that many students, including myself, take for granted. Being and staying motivated throughout the entire year would have also been some advice I would have given to myself.

Going back, I would definitley tell myself that things do not get easier! It's just as much work if not more. There is a lot to do when you have no one telling you what to do and not do, but you have to remember your school is most important and it comes first. If you mess up you can lose a lot, including money. I would also say don't take it for granted. It is your money and your parent's that is paying for it, so make sure you give it your all. Make it a wonderful experience, but make sure you stay focused at the same time. Besides, you still have your entire life waiting in front of you!

I would without a doubt tell myself to prepare now. Know your school work, and know what you love. I would also tell myself to get a job now, while still in school, so you can save enough money to where you do not need to have one in college. Also, a fancy car isn't a necessity, a bike will do you just as good. A college degree will buy you that fancy car later on in life.

Hoang

At 28 years old, I am happily married and a professional working individual. Regardless if we ever noticed those changes or not as we go through life and time, there is no mistaking that we grow and mature with age. Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, what advice would I give myself? Never choose a major only because you are driven by money/financial security in that field - follow your passion, what your know you are good at. The saying: ?do what you love, love what you do? will forever apply in life. I?ve been told that if you do what you love, you'd never have to work a day in your life. I first chose ?nursing? as a college major for financial security/stability purpose. But 10 years later, I am going back to follow what I wished I had chosen - creative art in graphic designing. I realize that I would rather make $15.00/hr, than $25.00/hr if it is something that I love and do not deem as ?work.? Life is ultimately short, too short to wake up everyday not enjoying what I do for a living.

I would tell myself to stay focused, the hard work is well worth it. Be more social and keep better contact with high school friends. It is important to get out of your comfort zone every now and then to make friends and to socalize. Study hard and everything is within your reach. Never give up on your dreams because anything and everything is possible. You have bright and hopeful future! Don't be afraid to talk to others and make new friends, people will like you even though you think they won't. Care a positive attitude on your shoulders and never let the small things get you down. Overall just remember to believe in yourself and have the courage to pursue the things you want.

Honestly, no amount of infinite advice I could have bestowed upon myself in high school can outweigh the vast amount of advice that I can utilize now as a college junior. My high school experience was very brief; I graduated two years early as valedictorian. As a Junior at UTTyler now, I have come to acknowledge that my determination and initiative for my academic goals and aspirations is significantly less. My determination was my driving frce throughout high school. So in turn I would like to give advice to me in my present state(College Junior) from me as a high school senior. As a high school senior, this is the advise I will give myself in the present: "DO NOT disregard all your strenuous work that got you to the position you are in today. Keep your eyes on your goals, do not lose sight of your aspirations. It may ultimately seem that you have made no progress, but YOU HAVE! Give it your all and go out with a bang."

Catherine

WARNING! This is a leter sent through time to my yournger high school senior self, from this point on it is out of my control! Dear Catie, Next year you will be off to the Univeristy of Texas at Tyler and you need to know some very important facts about living on your own. The first day that mom and JJ take you to move in make sure that a trip to the store is in mind BEFORE they leave you to go home. Going hungary the first night is so not fun. Next thing you need to know is study hard and when the professor says to read the chapter, do so. Keep on top of your school work and dont even think about partying. Plus Tyler is a dry county so the first couple of weeks you will see alot of people get kicked out of the dorm for stupid stuff. Most of all just enjoy yourself. Make the most out of everything and spend as much time with Laura, JJ, and Manuel as much as you can. Love you Catie (a.k.a your future self!)

Kelsey

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior with the knowledge I have now about college I would encourage myself to learn and develop several different study techniques, because it is much easier to transition into the college life once you have good study habits. And if you have more than a certain way to study its definately in your favor because you will never find that you are able to study the same way in all of your classes. Also I would take some time to sit down and try to make a plan of what classes I could take the next four years and begin thinking ahead about the possibilites of what I might be intersted in majoring in and what classes could contribute to my interests in those different majors.

Laura

Dear Laura, College is very different than high school. Given this opportunity, I want to give you some advice. First, there are a lot of ducks on campus. No duck should be without a name, so be prepared with all the random names you can imagine! Second, teachers don't hand out progress reports, and there isn't much daily work to back up your test grades. You do have to study and prepare for the tests. It'll make life easier if you study as you go. The cafeteria food is horrible. Just so you know! Make friends with someone on campus that can drive. That way, if you're car needs to go to the shop, you can have a ride to and from the shop as needed. Trust me, it will come in handy! Other than that, all I can advise is be prepared for a harder work load, but have some fun along the way. That is what college is all about after all! Love always, Yourself

Gregory

I would tell myself to work harder in high school to familiarize myself with the more difficult subject i'm encountering in college at this point, I also would emphasize the importance of saving money for later so that I can afford books, food and other important anemities.

I wish I could have the knowledge that I have now about the real world. I needed to have that experience to know that I wanted to go to college and have the drive to concentrate on my studies and succeed.

As curious as this may sound, I love school. Involvement in student's lives, and making decisions dealing with campus issues is incredibly rewarding. I attended Tyler Junior College, and have moved on to the University of Texas. While attending TJC, I was involved in Student Government, Student and Academic Affairs, President-International Organization, President-Bike Club, Treasurer-Hispanic Student Organization, Club Tennis, Student Senate Representative-Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society, and was chosen Homecoming Queen. It has been my honor to be a leader and valuable influence on various issues dealing with students and involvement. College is a stepping-stone into the real world where thousands of people are sent out into their chosen careers. The first step is not in college though, but rather in high school. Make an effort to be involved in school organizations, the things you do now will follow you forever. Sometimes I know it just so happens that making a difference means being at the right place at the right time, but I also see how a person can potentially have greater impact when they have strategically set themselves up and placed themselves in a position to make a difference for success.

The advice I would give my selfis: " You need to relax a little bit, you are going to make your self very sick and not have a summer time because you are doing everything in school ontop of taking all these hard classes. You are spending to much time worring!" Not that when I was running around all crazy in high school I would have listened to my self. I would of never believed I would of spent most of my summer sick because I stressed myself out so much. I would of told myself "You need to have more fun and enjoy your friends and family."

Karlton

Going back as a high school senior I realize that I did what I had to do to just get bye. Everything I did as a senior carried on through college. I had to learn the hard way, which sometimes can be good, but it caused me some money because I had to ret-take a class. I didn't listen to my teachers as a senior, and they had nothing but good advice for us as we were on our way to becoming college students. They even told us that most students would let this good advice go one ear and out the other, and thats exactly what it did. I just wish I didn't have to be so hard-headed because if I would've listened then I would've been a few years ahead. Now I'm always trying to give advice to students that they can overcome any obstacle if they want to by putting their mind to it and believing in their capabilities. I also tell them that just getting by will lead you to a pay check by pay check lifestyle, instead of having the opportunity to become educated and successful in wealth.

cody

I would definantely tell myself to listen more to my mom. That I should have applied for more high school scholarships because college is very expensive and my mom is paying for it all by herself. I would tell myself to take more college classes in high school to offset the expense and that grades really do matter in high school in order to get more scholarships at the college you go to, and to study for my ACT and SAT's.

cema

I would say not to be nervous. That while it is more difficult and there are more responsibilites than in high school, it is not impossible. With each semester it gets easier because you learn how to study more efficiently. That it is an exciting time in their life, they will meet a lot of interesting people from all over the country, maybe even the world! I would also say to start what you finish! I went to college twenty years ago and quit because I got married. That was one of my biggest regrets in life. Going back to school is hard to do with children, not to mention awkward at forty years old! You can do it!!!

I would tell myself to relax and just be as involved as possible. Being involved helps you meet people. Don't be afraid to put myself out there. Other students are new and just as afraid as I am. Becoming involved and relaxing is the best advice and two things I should have realized before attending school. Work on both of these things and everything will fall into place.

Victoria

I would emphasize how important studying is and time management skills are. It's harder than it seems to balance school work with trying to have a social life. A social life is more important than it seems - it's important to have a good support system and find time to relax and just have fun. Life isn't just about having a perfect GPA.

Grab life by the hands and go after what you want from the start. Go where you are accepted and make the absolute best of it from the get go. Never let anyone harbor your optimism. You choose how you envision your circumstances. Study during the day, relax in the evening, and try not to procrastinate it only makes your time at college more complicated and frustrated. Make time to relax with your friends, stress only accumulates and makes learning more difficult. Learn the classes you are taking try not to dismiss them for "stupid classes". Every single class you take has SOME impact in your life, even if you don't see it now-you WILL see it later. Try to realize that deadlines are there for a reason-they push you to learn the information, otherwise, would you really complete the information you need? Probably not! When you climb that mountain, it may feel like it will never reach the top but when you do-every single step you took, was worth every bit of your time. Love college while you are there, its an experience not everyone gets to see.

Bonnie-Blue

I would tell parents to understand their childrens educational capacity for the majors they select and find the schools that properly allow them an environment in which they have room to grow. Also to make the most of your college experience you need to retain a mindset within which you can remain calm and stimulated. Too much of a social life can have an effect on your grades and this is a fact.

RJ

I never originally planned on going to UT Tyler. I had a long track season my senior year when I competed at State. When I notified UT Tyler of my interest and after an assessment of my SAT scores and other accomplishments they gave me a full scholarship. My plan all along was to transfer after 2 years, but between the friends I made and the ease of the learning process provided by the administration and faculty, I decided to stay. I would say those two things made my college experience quite enjoyable. Try to get a feel for the people on campus, the opportunities in your field of interest, and the academic climate of the college (i.e. is it easy to study? is there the right balance socializing without hindering the learning process?). Most colleges provide a little of everything but with active participation you can find that a little can go a long way. All in all, your academic and relational well-being at a university is only as good as the utilization of resources provided.

Andrew

College is all about working towards a greater future and having fun with your new given freedom! If you are looking for the best college that fits your personal preference, and even if you do not know what you are looking for, I suggest you take several on campus tours. Make a list of schools that offer your interest of study, both big and small schools, and schedule a visit. Once you find a school that feels like home get plugged in too the on campus life. That will best give you the ability to find help from students who have taken classes you might struggle with, while at the same time make friends to have fun with during college and even network with once you are out.

Julia

I think you should join clubs and groups as soon as possible. If you don't, it's much harder to find friends and fit in. You'd then have a network of people you could go to with questions about the school, which you may have a hard time finding a staff member who can tell you. Find one with lots of diverse activites and something you think you can really get into. And if you do find a group you might like, see how active it is. I joined the Psychology Honor Society, but they never had any events so all it basically got me was an extra article of clothing to wear for graduation.

james

Before choosing any school to go to for four years visit the school, look at the price of tuition, look at the schools website and see if it is really where you want to go.

Aaron

Make everyday as fun as you can and keep your head in the books.

Marissa

Do research! Take trips with your kids while they are still in high school. Schools allow college days that don't count against absences so they can go on a school day to see what college life is like, and take several trips during weekends and holidays to show your kid what different colleges look like. Get involved in school clubs, go to orientations, live ON campus.

I think really listen to your heart. It will tell you everything you need to know. If you truely follow your heart no matter what you will be happy.

Matthew

TALK TO YOUR CHILD! Do not pick a school for them, allow them to choose one for themselves.