Galveston, TX
The University of Texas Medical Branch

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Texas Medical Branch

Ashlie

I honestly adore attending UTMB! The classroom size is perfect, there are plenty of amenities on campus and great places to live right next to the campus! I am in the CLS program and if has been beyond fantastic! Though it can be very challenging, the professors are always available to help so you feel less like you are drowning day by day. I would definitely recommend UTMB to future students interested in the health care field!

Ashlie

I have been there for a year, and I absolutely love it! The professors are beyond helpful, and I adore my program, CLS (Clinical Laboratory Science). It is definitely not an easy program, but even if you are feeling like you are being swallowed up, the department is phenomenal at working with your needs. A lot of available resources on campus, plus the history alone makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger than yourself!

Ryan

I think UTMB is a great academic center for anyone pursuing a serious career in the medical field. Here, we have access to top of the line training and medical equipment, as well as volunteer and professional opportunities and connections around every corner. The atmosphere is calming, yet serious. Students help each other and are all part of a strong academic team.

Mark

I would tell myself to go to jr. college first and get your basics completed. For students who know what path they want to take and what school exactly they want to go to, I may say differently. But for me, who didn't know what career I wanted to pursue and didn't have one college that towered over the others, I would've preferred to go to a small community college first where I can pay less and make great grades to begin with then transfer to a university where I can really begin my path to what career I have decided upon with a more mature mind. Financially, I wish more than anything that I would have taken this approach. Instead I went to a 4-year university where I spent way more money that I really had to without much more added benefit.

The worst thing is probably our anatomy lab. It is very old and the cadaver tanks are out-dated. Not to mention the fact that there is a constant smell coming from the building because of the cadavers.

The most frustrating thing is the faculty. Even though they are great, there is a constant scare of getting on their bad side and having school twice as hard for you. Most of them are very just and this is not much of a problem but there are some that make you walk on egg shells when you're around them.

Brooke

take college classes during highschool and apply to mpre scholarships.

take college classes during highschool and apply to mpre scholarships.

It has a very nice campus. It is the first medical school of texas. The school is located in Galveston.

Joy

My college experience has afforded me the opportunity far beyond mere acquisition of knowledge. It has broadened my horizon, and made me a valuable member of the society. When I came into this country almost ten years ago, I did not know what the future had for me. I am the daughter of an African mother who did not have any formal education. However, she knew the value of education, and always told me that the sky was not even the limit if I had education. I held on to that wisdom. When I applied to certain hospitals after my Associate Degree in Nursing, I was told those hospitals only hired BSN nurses. So, I went back to school because I was not going to have a limit placed on my career, or on my capability to care for my patients. As a BSN nurse I have gained professional respect in my place of work. I now provide patient care with a different ‘swagger in my professional stride’; needless to say that my patients are the better for it. I can now give back to the society that has given me the opportunity to boldly reach heights previously impossible.

I wish I had know how to actively seek scholarship. When I attended this school for my Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) in 2009, I made a 4.0 GPA but I did not get a single scholarship, even though I qualified for some merit-based scholarships. In retrospect, I wish I had contacted the Financial Aids department for assistance.

I tell my friends that UTMB is student friendly. The instructors have the students' intertest at heart. They are not 'out to get the students', like some of my friends tend to make me believe about their schools. They are willing to work with the students, and are eager to help the students maximize their learning experience.

bushra

I am on the process of expansion of my role as a Nurse Practitioner and my learning experience in this reputed institution is so incredible in shaping me as a compassionate and empathetic Advanced Practice Nurse.

The instructors are very friendly and dedicated and help the student to get the best learning experience.

I do the Masters program right now and some of the online classes are a little challenging due to black board issues.

Raisa

My school is best known for it's medical school. The university itself has a health related focus. The nursing school is the oldest nursing school west of the Mississippi. It is also known for it's rebuilding efforts after Hurricane Ike damaged parts of its campus.

I have been attending the School of Nursing at University of Texas Medical Branch for one semester and I am ever so thankful to be attending this school. I already have a degree from The University of Texas at Austin and I see a remarkable difference in the university atomosphere. In addition to the cutting edge technology which promotes learning and the availability of practicing facilities to conduct clinicals, the school is very student-oriented. The faculty are very approachable and treat their students like their peers. They go above and beyond their call of duty to provide the resources for their students to succeed in their courses. The Student Life Department provide free events for students to relax and meet students from other schools. There are many opportunities for students to get involved in organizations and volunteer in the community. I am involved with the Student Nurses Association, the Butterfly Project, and am a Student Ambassador, which serves to recruit potential students. The volunteer opportunities I am able to participate in as a member of these organizations are very fullilling to me in that I am able to make a difference in the community as a student nurse.

The best thing about the school is the fact that it is very student-centered. The Student Life Department goes above and beyond to provide free events for their students such as movie nights, a bingo night, and dinner parties. The faculty at the School of Nursing are very approachable and only want the best from their students. They too go out of their way to provide the best resources for the students so they can succeed in the courses. There are also opportunities for students in different schools to work together and meet each other.

Liza

Wow, I wish this was really possible to do! I would tell myself get to the counselors office STAT. They can point you in the right direction. Even though your family does not have the money you can still go to college. There are scholorships out there and loans you can pay back with little to no interest. Even though you do not qualify for financial aide you can get help and go to school. Quit that full time dead end job and go to College right after highschool and do not take any breaks!! It will save you a lot of heart ache. Trying to do it fifteen years later with a family is no fun :( There will be plenty of time to go out and have fun with your friends and they will still will be there when you finish school if they are true friends.---Coming from your Ghost of the future.....ha ha

I am applying for the 2yr BSN nursing program now and hoping I will be accepted. I know this school is definarely not for slackers by all means. The application is very lengthy and I am currently studying a study guide for the TEAS test and it seems pretty intense. You can not be a person who just gets by and has bad study habbits!!

I will be among 2,000 applicants and there will only be 90 selected and I will feel very honored when I get chosen!!

Heather

It was flexible, but impersonal since it was on line.

It was flexible, but impersonal since it was on line.

They were nurses of mixed ages and work experience.

I would not have quit college to get married. I would have gone to a 4 year college first. It is much too hard to finish school while working and having a family.

The University of Texas Medical Branch administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.