The University of Texas of the Permian Basin

« See more reviews of The University of Texas of the Permian Basin

I would like to give young me, college advice. My advice covers goals, credit hours, financial aid and studying. Have a goal, and if you change your major, get advice on how it will alter credit hours and finances. I regret switching majors, because I‘m a senior in credit hours, but sophomore in my program. If you are going part time, pay attention to semesters needed for your degree. Free grants only last a set amount of semesters, regardless degree completion. I’m attending for a BSN-RN and have credits that don’t apply to my degree or a second major/minor. I will need creative financing during the last two years of my education. Next, you need to study diligently and know what your instructor expects. This is easily done by getting your materials before classes starts. Read the syllabus, many times, and complete everything on it. Start assignments early, take good notes, and study everyday. While cramming may work for short-term memory, studying repetitively helps information last. Advising and many study options are available; use them! In conclusion, to succeed in college; be goal oriented, aware of financial aid, credit hours and study well.

I had the opportunity to attend a technical high school to study education. In college, I have furthered my education knowledge and taken more specific classes in order to be a secondary math teacher. My college experience has allowed me to be able to learn the specific aspects of my major & mathematics.In high school, I learned the general information of how to become a teacher, in college I'm learning the specifics which has helped me improve & increase my understanding of teacher expectations. In my first four weeks of college, I have developed more advanced study habits along with improving my time management. It is valuable for me to attend college because I want to make a difference in younger generations when I am older. College has not only taught me my major, study habits or time management,it has allowed me to develop more responsibility in my life. I am now currently working & attending school full time even taking winter classes to get ahead on my requirements. Also, it has allowed me the chance to develop a greater sense of individuality, I am able to pursue my dream at the same time as finding out more about myself.

Attending college has sparked my academic curiocity and maturned me as a person. When I first started college, I approached education as an obligation. I didn't loathe attending class or doing the homework, but I was far from enjoying it. Now that I have been in college for two years, I have come to see learning as fun. It was simply a matter of getting myself interested. I now love to search through my textbooks for an answer to any questions that occur to me while studying. More than that, I activly seek out information and answers to questions that never occurred to me by attending the lectures held on campus and in the surrounding community. As a person, I have learned that friends are not just people you shop, eat, or play games with. Friends are the people who encourage you when your down, help you help yourself, and inspire you to achieve more. I have also learned that people truly appreciate others who value morals. In addition, I have come to see being positive and believeing in yourself will take you farther (and often times, closer to your dreams) than you ever believed possible.

Money talks, and money doesn't always have to be the pendellum of your decision. Go to a place that you want to go in the first place, don't let the impression of friends going to the same college, and being cheap be the major factor. Rather, think about how much you really want to swim versus the education, social growth, and surrounding area of the college before you leap into the decision of swimming at a division II college in a place where nothing exists except tumbleweeds. Look through the financial aid, do more research on the different universities, consider the social clubs, intramurals, majors, but most of all, think, would you be proud to say your school out loud? Money is everything, but sometimes, when money is the source in providing an excellent education, facilities and amenitities, its better to go a place where they actually use the money too good use even if it does cost too much. That is why there are scholarships and financial aid to help out. Look at the award letters closely, you might find that your paying the same thing as if you were going to a cheaper school.

First off, parents, my biggest recommendation in helping your student is not to do all of the work and researching for them. Finding a college is a unuque process, one that they need to do themselves to fully know for themselves that they picked the right college. Sure, they will still need some help, encouragement, and a little bit of pushing every once in a while during this process but do just this: encourage, offer to help, and remind them to keep looking. The best advice that i can students about finding the right college is to start as early as you can and really consider every aspect: living expenses, gas, tuition, in or out of state, class ratios, school settings, etc. College is not only about your education but about new experiences, meeting new people and learning/seeing new things. And once you're at the college of your dreams, don't follow the crowd and try to be someone else. In college everyone is trying to find themselves too, so just be yourself and make your own decisions and mistakes, trust me there will be plenty of them but you will learn from every single one.

Now that I look back the number one thing I would tell myself would be to enjoy your youth. Enjoy the last few years of truely carefree fun. Enjoy and treasure the moments with your friends because you will all go off and become different people in the best way possible, but these differences will end with each of you taking a different path in life. I would advice myself to enjoy the time with my family because it would rapidly change and sometimes I still long for the simplicty that existed at that age. I would advice that my highschool self be more outgoing and not so resereved because I missed out on some amazing relationships. I would also say not to dwell on the pain that some selfish people caused because down the road I would meet some awesomley fierce people and that pain would make our relationships so much stronger. I think most of all I would want myself to know that it doesn't hurt to just stop and enjoy the world every single day and that everything will be okay. The world is a beautiful place and the sooner I realized it, the better.

Chris,this is your chance to prove to everyone that you can succeed in life no matter the constraints that we faced early in our life. It is time to put those issues in the past and look to the future.More specifically YOUR future. Money will be an issue for college and you must concentrate on school and finding ways to pay for school otherwise you will find yourself hoping that you can go to college next semester because you just cannot afford it without alot of help. More than you can provide or even our parents.I pray that you let your pride go and do what is best for you and what is best for how your life will end up.You must now realize that the biggest person holding you back in life was indeed yourself.You must be confident in your skills and be prepared use those skills more and more in order to show that you are a successful person and not just a surprising individual that actually is smart.You ARE a successful person and you are capable of anything.Many have said that before but this time listen to me,yourself.

Dear me, Yes time traveling is possible so I’m coming back to warn you and make clear to you of how important it is to apply to colleges early. I know it seems like you have a few months, maybe a few weeks but the clock is ticking and it’s not ticking backwards like it is now. There is still time, for every second that you waste somebody else is applying before you. But college applications are not your only priority, you must focus on applying to as many scholarships as you can. Do it starting today, apply to at least one per week. Put effort in each scholarship you apply too. Keep up with your classes, senior year is filled with numerous activities and it’s easy to become side tracked but “life goes on in your absence”. I know you think you’re not procrastinating but as your future self I’m telling you that you are, don’t wait another moment. Do things right away and do them correctly, do not prolong any assignments or anything useful. But the most important advice I have to offer to you is save your money for college.

There are many things I would have liked to know before I arrived to college and these are just a few that I find important. You need to learn to do things by yourself!! Your mom and dad are not there to do it for you. Before you leave, learn to do your laundry, clean, cook etc. It makes life easier when you know how to do these things beforehand. Another piece of advice is, if you know people that go to the school already, ask them which classes to take and which teachers are good to have. You must realize you are on your own and there isn?t going to be anybody to hold your hand constantly. Learn to do things independently. Some people may be ready for this but others are so I am warning take responsibility. You aren?t a baby anymore. Time management is another key lesson I would advise myself to learn because you have so much free time you will tend to procrastinate. I would say get a planner and make reminders of when things are due, what you need to do to be prepared for the next time your classes meet.

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school as a senior, I would tell myself not to wait so long to go to college, as soon as I graduate would be better. I would also tell myself to make sure all of my duel credit courses would transfer. Making the transition from high school to college helps when you know what you want and where you are going. Speaking to someone located on the campus would help in chosing the class load to take and where all of my classes are going to be located. I would advise myself to take a tour of the campus and get to know my academic advisor and get a degree plan as soon as possible for my area of study. I would also tell myself to seek out all of the campus resources to help me with tutoring, study skills and extra curricular activity. All of these things help in the transition because you are familiar, not lost and you get to meet alot of nice people that help you and take the time to get to know you and your individual needs as a student and person.