Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Rosario

The University of Texas- Pan American is near the Mexican- American border. UTPA is located in the Rio Grande Valley which is one of the most growing areas in the US. The University offers courses at Rio Grande City, Mcallen, South Padre Island for specific majors.

They motivate others, helpful, involed, and genreous.

Just because it is your senior year does not mean you can start slacking off; in fact it means to work harder. Take care of your college entrance appliciations early, do not wait for the last mintute. Apply for as many scholarships as you can. Stay involved in the community. Just because you started taking dual - credit courses at the STC campus, instead of the high school does not you can do whayever you want. UTPA will be different and more difficult than STC. Stay away from distractions when studying. Do not get so many online classes, you will become lazy and procastinate. Keep working hard to get ahead, do not procrastinate.

Kenneth

Classmates will vary, we have a large diverse population of students, so the classroom norm. will vary depending on the class subject or diffuculty level.

The procrastination stops here, as well as constrictive anxiety and hesitation. Get ready for trials, tribulations, but ultimately prepare yourself for definite adaptation. For twelve years its been the same friends, faces, and academic and social procedures; but lucky you just when it gets comfortable its time to erase the chalkboard. Skills will be put to the test; take the positive with pride, and look at your weaknesses with a sense of constructive criticism. Limits will be tested educationally and socially; but at the end of day the most valuable pearl of wisdom I can offer you is do not forget to breath! Remember to approach situations with an open mind, calm demeanor, and clear perspective. Look at these times as opportunities for learning, growth, and prosperity; these are the years in which we plot and calculate our path for the journey of adult hood. Do not carry the emotional burden of hard times, instead reflect on the valuable knowledge of hindsight. These next few years will project our interests and values the clearest, so prepare to immerse yourself in many random ventures; as cliche as it sounds, its time to find yourself. Ps. have fun too :)

I prefere large matropolis areas, and the city of Edinburg is medium size city; dont get me wrong the city has all your essential needs and somewhat of a selection of entertainment off campus, and down the road is McAllen Texas which is a growing large city with all entertainment needs within a fifteen minute drive from the campus. All in all not really that big of deal.

Luis

Here at UTPA there all kinds of people, you can find the emos, the frat/sorority people, the geeks, the athletes and more. It is like any other normal university except that the number of hispanics, me included, is way too high, I dont know the exact number but I want to say that 50+% of the students are hispanics or from hispanics roots. People don't discriminate each other, everyone gets along very well despite what groups you are part of.

Ricardo

Our school is basically all hispanic. Everyone is nice to each other and dont take into consideration any personal information. At the end of the day everyone is here for a reason to get a higher education for a better future. Most people go to class in regular comfortable clothes their are those few who like to dress up occasionally. Most students are humble about their economic issues.

larissa

The best thing would be the interaction with people around campus. One thing i would change is the security of the school, i think there should be more safety methods. as in more security guards. The school size is just right. They think I'm a nerd when they find out I'm from UTPA I spend my time mostly in the Union I think they need to better the school's administration because the people helping you there have a horrible attitude the days i have gone to inform myself on things. The biggest controversy was that a girl died recently on campus and everyone is still thinking it was murder instead of suicide. yes there is a lot of school pride, they have like pep rallies around campus not that big. things unusual is some people, like last time i had a guy follow me from class all the way to the parking lots just to stare at me, when he noticed i saw him he took off. the first day of school is the experience i will always remember. frequent student complaints is the safety on campus, and the parking space.

the most popular activity groups are the community service groups, inside the fraternities.

there is a huge diversity in my school racial, religious, economic, ethnecity and so on. for a student to feel out of place they would have to speak zero english. students just wear comfortable clothes,

my professors are really nice but some do not even explain the material you need to take tests, they do offer office hours but i would suggest they reviewed information in class.

The common stereotype at my school, are mostly just Jocks, Hippie type, and more Frats.

It's a great campus with lots of opportunities for a vast diversity of students. Especially so for students who come from low income families. We have a lot of different ways of fitting in--there is something for everyone and a great deal of friendliness around campus. A great time to spread your wings and learn a lot about yourslef and the Rio Grande Valley..

Movie watching, ice cream mondays, a lot of honor societies, any sort of student union activity. I am in the NSCS, the pre-med society, Alpha Lambda Delta, Tri-Beta Biological Honor Society. We have sorities, fraturnites, amine, history, psychology, poltical, and book clubs all over campus. Whatever you're intrested in--there is a club or society for it here at Pan-Am. I am not kidding

We have a huge diversity here at Pan-Am with thousands of undergraduates and graduates. I've seen high schools students, working moms and dads, migrants, and very old people here. I have never met someone here I didn't like or wasn't welling to help me in some way.

The stereotype is that we are all Mexican immigrants who can't speak English.

Mariel

UTPA it's perfect, is not that big, but is not that small. The best thing of UTPA is that you can always find help easy, the people who work there are remarkable I would change nothing. People from my home say that is a good school and that it's a great opportunity, and I feel proud of myself going there. I will always rememeber the learning assistance they help me a lot with my homework. Students complain about the city because there is nothing to do, but UTPA really is a good choice.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

because it has a good reputation with people from the valley, their ciriculum is awesome. the architecture catched my eye. the professors meet my needs and are very attetive.

No one is let of, everyone is kind, Most UTPA students are really kind, and have this beautiful culture. Really is an experience that you will never forgett. Most students are from texas, the other one's are from Mexico. I am from Mexico , and people treat me very well.

There are more than one stereotype. You can easily find friends like you, if you are skater, or if you love music you can find friends to share that passion.

The best thing about the school is the Honor's program. The class sizes are down to twenty students. I would change the parking situation. My school is just right. It is big enough to have students all around but small enough to have everything within walking distance. People always ask me how I like the school. I have never received a negative reaction. Most of my time on campus is spent in the library studying. The school's administration is involved and friendly. The biggest recent controversy at school was over budget cuts. "Bucky Pride is shown throughout the walk ways" There are many student organizations that show school pride. I will always remember the "Hestec" festival they have every year. All the student organizations come together with the community to have a great time on the campus. The most frequent student complaint is about the parking situation.

DO NOT move into the Veranda apartments. Majority of people that move there end up trying to give their lease to someone else. Houses are cheap to rent try to do that with a friend.

Tell us about your professors.

The majority of them are super friendly and willing to help you out with what they can. I live out of state so if I plan to travel the majority of them will let me take my exams earlier or later.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports aren't too big of a deal. We have a basketball, baseball, and volleyball team. The games usually don't get too crowded but you do notice more and more people starting to go.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The 4th floor at the library is always very quiet

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are several fast food places within walking range of the campus. They also have some great meal plans at the cafeteria. The students that live in the dorms usually have some sort of plan there.

What are your classes like?

The classes are not too difficult. They range from very large to small.

It it a medium sized school. The campus is walkable. The buildings are all brick and look similar.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend includes studying and hanging out with friends

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I will never forget going to hear Maya Angelou speak on campus. There were so many people from the community waiting to hear her.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Affordable school, that is the perfect size. Such a beautiful warm place to live. The people are very friendly and laid back.

My favorite campus tradition is going to Buckey's Block Party. It is held when summer is over. It is a good way to meet new students and catch up with old friends.

When you step off campus what do you see?

There are food places everywhere to go eat. There is a huge strip. There is also a wal-mart and a lot of apartments.

The campus being small is unique. There are large main events held. A few months ago we had Mario Lopez on campus.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are small. They are watched heavily 24/7

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It is in a warm place. Close to South Padre Island. It is friendly.

The professors are very friendly. They are willing to work with you and help you out when you need it. There are writing centers available and a student learning center that offers tutoring. You can always find students in the library studying. The classes are usually full with eager students wanting to learn. Some professors put their lectures online that help if you miss a class. The most unique class I took was asian philosophy. We learned how to meditate. I am majoring in Psychology and so far all the professors have been helpful. I am writing a thesis right now and I have three professors on my board. Two of them I have never taken for class but they were still willing to help me. The education is geared toward you learning something not just memorizing facts.

Beatriz

The school is big and they just give you 10 minutes to get to the next class. I like that they have a gym for us to workout and they have tutorials for us if we need help. I really don't have pride school because I'm a full time students that I don't have time to get involved in school. I'm mostly in the library finishing my homewrk.

I not sure what are the most popular students activities because I'm not involved in anything. I bearly join NSCS. I meet my friend in high shool. I don't party or anything I mostly in my study than anything else.

I can not describe the students for school becuase I don't really talk to people.

The Professors don't know my name. I really don't have favor class because all the classes are the same for me. I do my work, study for their test and I pay attention to them. If I have a question, I can ask the teacher or a students.

I'm a nice person, listen to the teacher, help other when is needed, try for everything to be right, and if I need help I ask.

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.