Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Blake

Take a breath, calm down and turn off the email notifications on your phone. Focus on your grades, making memories with your friends and enjoy the time you still have with your family. You will be moving a long way from home and you need to make the best of what you have. Go ahead and do the things you love, because you won't have much time in college. When you get there, be open to others! Remember names, faces and professors because it will help you in the long run. Go to university functions and put yourself out there and make a difference. Attend every class even though it's not mandatory, because you will defiinitely get better grades and improve your chances in the future. Don't be scared of being rejected or judged because it happens to everyone. Meditate, get in touch with your inner being, and love like crazy. You only get to experience college once.

It's small, one minded, not very many organizations to join, unorganized and sometimes unwelcoming

Jecenia

In the years that I've been attending this university all my classmates have been very nice and helpful some have even become close friends.

Getting an upper level education is very important for my family especially because I would be the first of the family to go to college. The preparation always starts in high school, start by trying to get into upper level courses like AP courses that are offered in the school. With these type of courses offered; you can easily take a test and get college credit hours and start as a sophomore, but before that make sure you are capable of completing the tasks. Get informed about programs or offices that can help you apply for universities, scholarships, and financial aid. There are many teachers that will be willing to help you out with the application process. Get involved with extra-curricullar activities to build up a resume for your university application. Yes, you will get scared about starting classes in a new campus, but once you are done with your first day you'll realize that people are friendly and willing to help if you have any questions. So, yes it may be frightening in the beginning but afterwards you'll love being in the environment because you are there to accomplish your priority goal; a higher lever education!

In the criminal justice field there are professors from around the country and that is great in my opinion because we as students can get different views about the same or similar situations. The different variety that exists. In the criminal justice department the professors go from very liberal to conservative to even feminist. Overall I believe that this university provides students with different ways of learning because the professors are from different cultures and ethnicities. This way students can analyze the different opinions of each professor and put them together to make one whole idea of learning.

Janette

Panam is not a very large university, but its agood place to be at. Its also close to home, it takes me about 15-30 minutes depending on traffic.

I really cant think of something "unique" to say about this university. i imagine its like the rest of the schools. with sports, academics, the thing that might be different is that this university does not have a football team.

The advice i would give myself after experiencing two years of college would be to take the most accredited hours that the school has to offer me. To take the dual enrollment courses to finish with basics faster. I would also advice my self to save my money for next year. That just because its my senior year i dont have to be wasting all my spare money on random things. When i could be saving that money for extra expenses like books. The spare time i had i would tell my self to be with friends. To keep creating memories so later when im all alone in a library studying for an economics midterm i can remember how being with friends was. I would tell my self to cherish this time with friends, cause next year it wont be like that. some will move to a different city, other will get married and/or pregnant and not continue with school, and others you might see at school but are too busy tohang out. If i went back i would say to live life, because next year the world will take a 360 degree turn.

Focus, stop worrying about your love life and focus on school. Finish school and you will find someone successful that has the same dreams as you do. Ignore all distractions and give it your all AMANDA.

People who are just seeking financial aid for the wrong reasons. People who could really care less about their education but barely pass to stay academically acceptable to receive their financial aid to later go "pimp," out their rides. People who are not getting educated because they want to better themselves. Don't waste someones space.

What I brag most about my school, is that professors are willing to aid you on a one on one basis if you have any questions for him/her. Not many colleges have this "luxury," butI am blessed that I attended my undergraduate studies at UTPA because of this and I look forward to graduate studies being even better as far as collaboration with the professor goes.

Rosario

They motivate others, helpful, involed, and genreous.

They motivate others, helpful, involed, and genreous.

The University of Texas- Pan American is near the Mexican- American border. UTPA is located in the Rio Grande Valley which is one of the most growing areas in the US. The University offers courses at Rio Grande City, Mcallen, South Padre Island for specific majors.

Just because it is your senior year does not mean you can start slacking off; in fact it means to work harder. Take care of your college entrance appliciations early, do not wait for the last mintute. Apply for as many scholarships as you can. Stay involved in the community. Just because you started taking dual - credit courses at the STC campus, instead of the high school does not you can do whayever you want. UTPA will be different and more difficult than STC. Stay away from distractions when studying. Do not get so many online classes, you will become lazy and procastinate. Keep working hard to get ahead, do not procrastinate.

Kenneth

Classmates will vary, we have a large diverse population of students, so the classroom norm. will vary depending on the class subject or diffuculty level.

The procrastination stops here, as well as constrictive anxiety and hesitation. Get ready for trials, tribulations, but ultimately prepare yourself for definite adaptation. For twelve years its been the same friends, faces, and academic and social procedures; but lucky you just when it gets comfortable its time to erase the chalkboard. Skills will be put to the test; take the positive with pride, and look at your weaknesses with a sense of constructive criticism. Limits will be tested educationally and socially; but at the end of day the most valuable pearl of wisdom I can offer you is do not forget to breath! Remember to approach situations with an open mind, calm demeanor, and clear perspective. Look at these times as opportunities for learning, growth, and prosperity; these are the years in which we plot and calculate our path for the journey of adult hood. Do not carry the emotional burden of hard times, instead reflect on the valuable knowledge of hindsight. These next few years will project our interests and values the clearest, so prepare to immerse yourself in many random ventures; as cliche as it sounds, its time to find yourself. Ps. have fun too :)

I prefere large matropolis areas, and the city of Edinburg is medium size city; dont get me wrong the city has all your essential needs and somewhat of a selection of entertainment off campus, and down the road is McAllen Texas which is a growing large city with all entertainment needs within a fifteen minute drive from the campus. All in all not really that big of deal.

Luis

Here at UTPA there all kinds of people, you can find the emos, the frat/sorority people, the geeks, the athletes and more. It is like any other normal university except that the number of hispanics, me included, is way too high, I dont know the exact number but I want to say that 50+% of the students are hispanics or from hispanics roots. People don't discriminate each other, everyone gets along very well despite what groups you are part of.

Ricardo

Our school is basically all hispanic. Everyone is nice to each other and dont take into consideration any personal information. At the end of the day everyone is here for a reason to get a higher education for a better future. Most people go to class in regular comfortable clothes their are those few who like to dress up occasionally. Most students are humble about their economic issues.

larissa

The best thing would be the interaction with people around campus. One thing i would change is the security of the school, i think there should be more safety methods. as in more security guards. The school size is just right. They think I'm a nerd when they find out I'm from UTPA I spend my time mostly in the Union I think they need to better the school's administration because the people helping you there have a horrible attitude the days i have gone to inform myself on things. The biggest controversy was that a girl died recently on campus and everyone is still thinking it was murder instead of suicide. yes there is a lot of school pride, they have like pep rallies around campus not that big. things unusual is some people, like last time i had a guy follow me from class all the way to the parking lots just to stare at me, when he noticed i saw him he took off. the first day of school is the experience i will always remember. frequent student complaints is the safety on campus, and the parking space.

the most popular activity groups are the community service groups, inside the fraternities.

there is a huge diversity in my school racial, religious, economic, ethnecity and so on. for a student to feel out of place they would have to speak zero english. students just wear comfortable clothes,

my professors are really nice but some do not even explain the material you need to take tests, they do offer office hours but i would suggest they reviewed information in class.

The common stereotype at my school, are mostly just Jocks, Hippie type, and more Frats.

It's a great campus with lots of opportunities for a vast diversity of students. Especially so for students who come from low income families. We have a lot of different ways of fitting in--there is something for everyone and a great deal of friendliness around campus. A great time to spread your wings and learn a lot about yourslef and the Rio Grande Valley..

Movie watching, ice cream mondays, a lot of honor societies, any sort of student union activity. I am in the NSCS, the pre-med society, Alpha Lambda Delta, Tri-Beta Biological Honor Society. We have sorities, fraturnites, amine, history, psychology, poltical, and book clubs all over campus. Whatever you're intrested in--there is a club or society for it here at Pan-Am. I am not kidding

We have a huge diversity here at Pan-Am with thousands of undergraduates and graduates. I've seen high schools students, working moms and dads, migrants, and very old people here. I have never met someone here I didn't like or wasn't welling to help me in some way.

The stereotype is that we are all Mexican immigrants who can't speak English.

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.