The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

« See more reviews of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

The procrastination stops here, as well as constrictive anxiety and hesitation. Get ready for trials, tribulations, but ultimately prepare yourself for definite adaptation. For twelve years its been the same friends, faces, and academic and social procedures; but lucky you just when it gets comfortable its time to erase the chalkboard. Skills will be put to the test; take the positive with pride, and look at your weaknesses with a sense of constructive criticism. Limits will be tested educationally and socially; but at the end of day the most valuable pearl of wisdom I can offer you is do not forget to breath! Remember to approach situations with an open mind, calm demeanor, and clear perspective. Look at these times as opportunities for learning, growth, and prosperity; these are the years in which we plot and calculate our path for the journey of adult hood. Do not carry the emotional burden of hard times, instead reflect on the valuable knowledge of hindsight. These next few years will project our interests and values the clearest, so prepare to immerse yourself in many random ventures; as cliche as it sounds, its time to find yourself. Ps. have fun too :)

Vanessa pay attention! This is what I would constantly remind myself if I could go back in time. I would tell myself to sit in the front of the class and ask all and any questions that I could, especially when it came time for Math. I would tell myself, it does not matter what others say or think- do it for yourself, for your future, ensure yourself a prospersous future- both financially and personally. Learn to ask questions now and college will be a breeze. I would remind myself that numbers hold the keys to success. A physical therapist must master many science classes in order to be successful, thus working harder during my high school years will ensure a smooth tenure in college. I would also advice myself that beauty comes from within just as much, if not more, than visual beauty. Other than that, I accomplished much while in high school, both academically and socially. I would remind myself to continue my school and community volunteering because they are not a waste of time because I will turn out to be a mature, responsible, committed, compassionate, well-rounded young lady whom will be environmentaly friendly as well.

Getting an upper level education is very important for my family especially because I would be the first of the family to go to college. The preparation always starts in high school, start by trying to get into upper level courses like AP courses that are offered in the school. With these type of courses offered; you can easily take a test and get college credit hours and start as a sophomore, but before that make sure you are capable of completing the tasks. Get informed about programs or offices that can help you apply for universities, scholarships, and financial aid. There are many teachers that will be willing to help you out with the application process. Get involved with extra-curricullar activities to build up a resume for your university application. Yes, you will get scared about starting classes in a new campus, but once you are done with your first day you'll realize that people are friendly and willing to help if you have any questions. So, yes it may be frightening in the beginning but afterwards you'll love being in the environment because you are there to accomplish your priority goal; a higher lever education!

There are so many things to consider when choosing the "right" college for you, but my advice is to make a checklist of what qualities you are looking for in a university, from location, available programs, tuition and fee cost, availability of financial aid, professor to student ratio, and any other quality you consider important in a university. I advice you to write the checklist with their parents. Despite the fact that the parents might have not attended college themselves, it is imperative that they know what steps you are taking in order to help you succeed and so they know where you stand on declaring your academic pursuit. Next, research the universities that you may have heard of or your school might have recommended and, from your checklist, check off what each school has to offer you based on the qualities you are looking for. I encourage you apply to atleast five universities, and if possible, contact an advisor from each university if you have any questions about the school or simply to get an opinion of the school from a primary source. Finally, visit the school, and if you like what you see, go for it!

There are many learned attributes from the college experience that are useful in life and the work environment. Nobody goes to college to be a better person; It is because they want a better job. So I will concentrate on work related skills learned. Working on difficult homework assignments begat networking with students in the same classes in order to solve these problems. Figuring out why simple reactions did not work in the lab was an important problem solving skill used in the chemical industry. Multi-tasking was having multiple classes with lots of homework due usually at the same time. The most important computer skills learned would be word and excel. Every chemist uses these two programs with excel at a masters level. Dedication was a learned trait when spending copious amounts of time on a particular class, not giving up, knowing it will pay off in the end. Paying my way though college by working part time taut me how to save money and be frugal. This is important when working for a company whom the employee has to order materials. Everyone wants to save money, and managers care about the bottom line.

Making the transition from high school to a college life is going to be challenging. You may suffer from being homesick, bad study habits, and many other challenges other freshman face when they make the transition from high school to the college. However, if you forget anything else don't forget your number one reason attending college, which is to be successful. Breaking the barriers that was placed on your family, your mom struggling to make ends meet, trying work two jobs, attain a masters degree, and raise two teenage kids while one in college. It was hard to witness your strong, determined, single-parent mother do it all by herself but she did it. Now as you end this chapter of your life and begin another chapter of your life at college you must remain stable and driven. Success is something you must work hard for and it will definitely will not be handed to you. So take advantage of every positive opportunity you have because success may lie within, and if you dont discover and take risk you may never find success. So make your mom proud like she has made you and believe because anything is possible.

Make sure not to procrastinate on applying for scholarships and turn them in at least a month before they are due, it will relieve a lot of stress to get paperwork done in time. Nobody will be pushing me or reminding me to meet with specific deadlines to have certain paperwork done. Always keep in contact with a financial advisor and make sure you are setteled in and completed all the paperwork into being accepted in the university, you don't want to know months later that you have unmet requirements. College life is full of active groups. Find one that you are interested in and attend the events and become active in the college community. There is no such thing in that you don't belong in a group. You have to accept to find that comfort zone into being able to socialize with other students and professors. If you are interested in criminal justice, attend the meetings and events with groups of people in that major. You can get insight of the career and expand your interest in all the different jobs in that major that you have never thought would have existed.

I have gained so much from my college experience already. I am now very confident in my public speaking skills, as well as learning to branch out of my shell, and I have Phi Theta Kappa honor society to thank for this. I have learned that to be successful in college one needs to get to know their professors and create a type of newtwork through them if one wants more opportunities to shine. I am currently starting to do more service learning by volunteering at the Arizona Museum of Natural History through AmeriCore. College is a very valuable to atten.d. Not only does one gain academic knowledge but college inspires self-confidence which is very important in any occupation. Also, at a community college most professors will sit and meet with you, to see if you are on track to transfer to the University that you wish to attend. Most professors will also use their social networks to get students opportunities volunteering or gain them access to parts of a museum or institution that is not available to the public. Overall, college is a very valuable experience

I would tell myself that even though people say college life is easy, its not. Its about responsibility and self-control. And It definitely is not the same as High School. My High school was one of the more challenging ones in my place. The teachers would say that if you work hard now, college life would be easier for you. My highschool prepared me well for college, but it is not easier. In fact you need to put in more effort and time into studying if you want to maintain a 3.7 or 3.8 and higher GPA. I would tell myself to push myself harder so that I get used to studying harder. Also picking a career you are passionate about is important so that you can stay dedicated and interested. Its also important to know what method of learning is most efficient because Pre- Med is not easy. It takes time, effort, and perseverance to get through. Not just to get through but to be on the top (especially for an average student like me). But college life is not all about studying either. Getting involved on campus helps relieve stress and helps build good character.

I would tell myself to designate about twenty minutes to each class to peruse my notes and reflect on everything I learned that day in class. I would have told myself to sacrifice one night out a week and dedicate the time to truly pursuing scholarships. When a became a collegiate athlete I discovered so many different techniques that I could have benefitted from in high school such as the increase in mileage ran per week, completely ballistic drills before interval workouts, and getting the right amount of sleep every night. I would tell myself to put school and athletics as top priority. I wasted an abundance of time with boyfriends and the constant desire to go out every weekend that I failed to see the bigger picture. Completing my first semester of college, I learned that I was capable of a lot more than I expected. All along I simply needed to apply myself a diminutive amount more and follow all the obliging hints my high school teachers gave me. The main tip I would give to myself as a high school senior is to focus on what is most important.