The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Judith

Overall I believe that The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a really good university. Their staff is very helpful, and professors are mainly very accessible. The comply with their office hours and seem to really care as to whether students understand and graduate. I do recommend this university to anyone who lives in the Rio Grande Valley region, as it is an excellent opportunity to continue with higher education, and it very close to home.

Rogelio

I have grown up around the university my whole life and have learned to see it a second home. With most family members attending UTRGV i am happy to continue the streak and will graduate in 4 years. I love how its close to home and how well the medical program has a great graduation rate it makes me think i am fortunate to be raised near it and to graduate from it will be a true dream come true.

UTPA is a very big school, with fairly large class sizes, that lacks outside facilities, organizations, and resources. The professors are overall good, but can sometimes be very difficult. I love how due to the class sizes being large, you are able to meet so many people, and build relationships, bonds, and study groups with.

isabelle

All I can say about UTRGV is that it is a great school that is often looked down at, or looked at as a "second option", but really it should be your first option especially if you live in the valley already or are looking for an athletic scholarship! the opportunities​ they offer you are enormous and just as good as any other school northern up texas.

Andrea

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is an institution where diversity is present providing students to have different ways to be involved in different disciplines such as culture, sports and academics. It provides a variety of opportunities for research and community service. The faculty is warm and always accessible providing help to students.

kamba

I’m glad I transferred here. I’m still nervous and anxious but I know I will be fine as long as I don’t stress myself out too much. It’s a very nice campus and the people I have met are so great and welcoming. The faculty I have met have been extremely helpful since I really don’t know where anything or anyone is, very thankful for them.

Anika

I attended the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley as an undergraduate student and now as a graduate student. I love this university because it is so close to home and I am able to travel to it while still living at home. The campus has grown in size significantly since my first year which makes me very happy to see although parking is a real struggle. Overall I have enjoyed my time at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.

Sheridan

This school is great as an academic institution. There are plenty of free services on campus for tutoring and extra academic help. Class sizes are not too big and professors do a good job of getting to know you personally. If you are looking for the "typical college experience," you aren't going to get it here. However, you will have had a good academic experience and come out of college with a lot less debt than other schools.

Ethan

It is a good school, especially for the price. I have yet to find another college that can compete with the level of the UTRGV because there are a lot of intelligent people and it is an overall safe campus. Although I am a visitor, I am aware of the challenges people face because of my older sibling that attends there. I feel it would benefit me going to UTRGV because they have a very strong artistic mentality drawing a lot of support from different places.

Pamela

Overall, if a student plans to go to this university, I recommend students who are majoring in medicine and teaching. The art program is slowly disappearing. Many graphic design classes are being dropped and my friends have to take regular studio art classes. I'm majoring in Studio art and I wish their is more diverse classes and teachers. I can take three courses with the same professor. I don't really mind that, but I would prefer to learn something different with another professor.

UTPA (Now the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley) is overall a comfortable environment to be in. There's always something to do on campus whether it be in clubs, events, or sports. The students are friendly and the teachers and staff are almost always ready to help you in anyway that they can.

Miguel

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a well-made , affordable university that all students who attend will definitely enjoy.

Over

As a current freshman, I have recently completed my first semester at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. My experience has been filled great learning and involvement opportunities. Professors at the university are very stern and serious regarding academics, but provide students with engaging lessons and material. As a student one must also enjoy and appreciate the clubs and organizations in the university. For example, I personally joined the Student Government Organization through the First Year Internship program which allowed me to take a closer look at the relationship between the university and the needs of the students. Moreover, as a campus resident, I find the university a very safe and protected environment that allows me to walk to the library at midnight. Overall, I see the university growing to become one of the top universities in the State of Texas. I am looking forward to completing my second semester as a freshman and graduating from the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.

Paola

This Univeristy is overall an average school. It can upgrade its academics opportunites and guide tours. Other than that, professors and students are very outgoing. They provide many engaging clubs and activites for everyone. Learning groups are provided for extra help as well.

Andres

Its a very affordable school and is great all around, I live very close by so I wont feel as lost as I would in other schools. This university has everything I am looking for, from Nursing to american sign language. I feel at home and everyone is very welcoming

It is a good school, the Brownsville campus is very peaceful and there are the occasional events happening on the lawns, like food stands and there are plenty of clubs and extra curricular activities to participate in. It is a decent sized campus with plenty of seating areas to sit and work or eat.

Deztiny

UTRGV is an amazing University, if it weren't for my parents pushing me to apply to college I would never have had the college experience everyone talks about. Being apart of the University has taught me so much about the different cultures around me, and about how close everyone is even if they just met.

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley has changed my life in so many ways. For instance, staying on campus was an amazing experience I will forever cherish. I met so many people, and the professors were helpful and available when I needed to access them. I attended soccer, volleyball, and basketball games. The crowd was fun to watch as well.

Raul

UTRGV is a college just like us, various cultures mixed to create something good. you wont have any interesting college life unless, you look for it. students are very nice, havent met anyone whom i hate. Many believe that the University is badly administered, some even may argue that there is corruption involved, but if that is fixed and the school tries to take care of its teachers, i believe it could be held in a higher tier than where it is today. one thing that i do want to address is how biased politics are amongst students, many being liberal/democratic socialist. the problem with this is that college is a place where you are supposed to learn about different points of views, but these students will almost try to silence you and in a way make you an outcast in the social media. there a deep division between campuses EDINBURG/BROWNSVILLE. once again, little details that the school should fix to include all types of ideas

Victoria

My opinion of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is that it’s very cultural and there is always positive activities spread on campus. I am going to be attending this coming fall and am more than excited that it's close to home and I am given many opportunities by organizations on campus!

Diana

I love this University! Since day one i have always felt welcomed and everybody is always available to help me out. I feel very safe in the campus and even encourage high school students to consider this University because of the great potential it has. One thing i will always praise is the dedication of the staff to ensure the well being of all students. They send emails daily regarding anything and everything, which i love because they are very informative. I recommend this University 100% and feel like i can genuinly succeed in my future career and personally too.

Marco

I must give an honest review of my university, and I can honestly say that although this university gets a bad review for being in Brownsville Texas, it is such an amazing university. The academics are outstanding, the students are very determined, the faculty here is very generous and helpful to those that seek it, overall, my university deserves a better rating from those that have not experienced it. It may not be a top tier university, but it does not deserve the ratings that people currently give it either. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is currently ranked the 4th best university in Texas by “BestColleges.com” and I can agree on that, because this university is not bad at all for all the programs and opportunities that it offers for students. A great example is that this university is home to the nationally award-winning Mariachi Aztlan, that I am hoping to become a part of very soon. Students here have also had the opportunity to be taught by award winning professors such as Dr. Karen Lozano, who was awarded the Presidential Excellence Award in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring by President Donald J. Trump. Dr. Lozano is a mechanical engineering professor and the director of the UTRGV Nanotechnology Center of Excellence. I, myself, am an engineering student, however, I also enjoy music, mariachi music to be precise, and I love the fact that I am given the opportunity to major in both Computer Hardware Engineering, as well as Mariachi Education! Two complete opposite areas of study, yet this university offers the chance to pursue a degree in both! I usually attend the Brownsville campus, but there are two campuses for UTRGV, the other is in Edinburg, Texas, about an hour and a half away from Brownsville. If a class is not offered at the campus a student attends, it is usually offered at the other campus, but to make sure a student has no problem to attend that class, the university offers a bus shuttle to take students to each campus if they have no form of transportation, as well as so they do not have to drive an hour and a half! The bus shuttle even has built-in wireless internet connection so that students have the chance to complete their work while they are on their way to classes! Overall, I have to say that this university is incredible for what it offers and the cost of attending, the knowledge and experience that is obtained here is great, especially for those that struggle financially. This university definitely deserves its spot as the 4th best university in Texas!

It's a decent school, however if you were born and raised within it's proximity I highly recommend that you go elsewhere. You will not get the real college experience that is needed to mature and evolve if you stay here. As for the campus in general it's a quaint campus however, once again, I recommend going somewhere else if you can. The classes are far to crowded, making the instruction time less efficient. The professors either are very compassionate or very careless, so be careful care full with which professors you end up with. On top of that the sports offered here are few in number, and it would be far more energetic if there was a football team.

hugo

my overall opinion about utrgv is that its the right college for me, its close to home and it has the major i wanna get into. mostly all of my friends go to utrgv so thats why i wanna go there. Its super close to my home i can go visit my whole family whenever i want to.

Marvin

Is a great university and is close to home so why not go there. Every day when I pass by I see everyone with there laptops and all the books and I feel I can join and have fun in college too. My goal is to graduate of network marketing of business. Hope that will come true.

Guillermo

It’s a great college and I will recommend it. When you go in there you feel safe and everyone is nice. If you need help about something and somewhere you need to go, they will help you. They make you feel like family and everything is lovely. You won’t be disappointed about it and you won’t regret your decision. The teachers are helpful and are open if you need help. We love each other and you won’t be alone. Everyone is hardworking and trying to succeed just like you are too. There is a lot of activities to do and a lot of socializing with each there about news, sports, etc. The school is very nice, and you see different people everywhere and you learn new things about other people and about life. During games people are excited and wild. The people treat each other as family even if they are not, and its fun to hang out with people there. For me it is the best University, and I will recommend it to you. People are very helpful. People are active all-around school, there will always be people in the campus for whatever you need. Everyone will unite together even if they don’t know each other. No one is treated different, everyone is treated the same just like everyone needs to be treated. The food is good and not does not cost that much. It is nice from the inside and the outside and we are all family.

Lorena

You can easily make friends here and there is always something to do. Learning is definitely a priority here at this university and is highly encouraged to keep a good GPA by professors. Plus you save a lot of money here which is awesome. I love it and all the services here.

Jesus

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a really outstanding University. I believe that it has the potential to grow into one of those big Universities that everyone wants to go to and i really hope it does. I am Proud to be one of its students.

alondra

The college is nice and professors are easy but the campus is lacking some things. Off living housing is proven to be expensive. At least $700 dollar rent. Meanwhile the dorms tend to be cold, have shared bathrooms, and the locking system is difficult to deal with.

Valeria

If you want to go to a school where everyone is academically focused, this is your place. When I transferred from Texas Southmost College it was a complete change of scenery. Everyone came on campus for one thing and one thing only and that is to get that degree.

daniela

The classes at the university is like any other college, the campus life is a bit dull and not much on partying. Many students do try to look for outlets during the weekends but theirs hardly any. Utrgv is good with on campus events and giving away free food for students. Classes and teachers are accessible, as for sports, it is not what we as a campus are known for but we do encourage it. Overall not a very active school.

Jaaziel

V try y y vfgttvgvg fgfvygvyggvyyvgvgyvgygygyvvyfyfvyvtffvtvftcfftcctfctf ytvvtyvtytfcfctcftfctftcfcttcfctftcftfctctcftcfyfygvygvvhggbhvghugbuhbgub ugvygvyvgygvvgyyvgghvhgvhgvhgvghvhgvvhgvhghgvhvghgvvghvgvhgvghyvg ugvygvygvygvyygvygv vago ugvy ugh ya yt ugv ygvtvygvygv

Jessi

UTRGV is your only option in the RGV, but it's a good one. Cheapest university in the states, great people, greater food, and greatest education. The people: most of the valley, and the students, are Hispanic, but there are so many different cultures here as well. The culture here is HUGE and AWESOME. There's fajitas in front of the science building, every so often the world outreach people have parties in front of the cafeteria where they give away free stuff (and food.) The food: The cafeteria food is all you can eat and is okay. Nothing spectacular. But there are plenty of cool taco places around and el pato is ON CAMPUS. The education: 5 stars. I have only have one professor I truly could not stand, but if you're not taking MexAm history, you'll be fine.

Evelyn

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a very unique campus compared to many others. It is located in two different border cities, which are Brownsville and Edinburg. Due to its location, the student life is significantly influenced by northern Mexican culture. Having been a student from there since I was sixteen years old, it is always a great experience to participate in school activities that highlight our academic accomplishments as well as our heritage. Attending a university where most of the alumni are bilingual, provides me with great pride of my cultural background, and hope for intellectual proficiency.

Isabella

This campus is a decent size. The classes are not too big nor too small. The professors provide their email addresses and office hours in the event that we need them. The classes are pretty easy to follow. I have not heard much about sorority life, but I do know that there is some. The professors I have had have all been nice and easy to follow. The campus itself is very clean, there is always someone from the janitorial staff around making sure the campus looks neat. The restrooms, as well, are never dirty and are constantly stocked. However, some stalls do lack locks which can be pretty annoying. The campus housing is not at all far from campus. The parking lot for the Freshman’s however is very far from campus and is a hassle to get in and out of. The Zone 3 parking is the closest but that is for the professors. I don’t view this as fair seeing as though a student should be allowed closer parking. The Parking permits are not too expensive but can add up. I recommend getting the Zone 2 Parking, The spots are harder to find but it is less of a walk to the classes. If you plan on taking morning classes, you might want to invest in the closes parking you can because they are farther from campus the cheaper they are. Overall, my experience was great my Freshman year. It was a struggle, but I made it, Also Take advantage of the free classes over 12 hours.

raquel

It is a great university to go and gain your degree. The food can be much better though however, its surrounded by restaurants near by so its not bad. The university if really secure and if anything suspicious happens it is reported fast enough for the police to arrive to prevent anything bad to happen.

Alekzandra

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley offers and continues to increase in a vast variety of career choices to which many students no matter financial circumstances are able to attend and partake benefit of. Overall atmosphere is wonderful and there is always a group in which you are welcomed too. The vast diversity in majors creates a university that is full of life.

I think that The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is a great school full of opportunities. The community between the staff and students is friendly, and we are all here to help each other. I am glad I am able to attend the school and pursue a higher education which is highly encouraged by the entire campus.

Karla

While they are a good school to attend because it is affordable and close to home, the atmosphere in UTRGV feels very closed off. There aren't that many activities to do, and most of the scholarships are based on sports instead of academics. Teachers are good, but many care more about the paycheck than the students.

Vannessa

My opinion is that it's a great college but some professors don't feel like answering your emails, or don't give you enough time to understand the material. But other than that, my college is a super nice and welcoming environment, it makes you feel at home and the advisers just want the best for you.

Larry

I believe a UTRGV is not just about me its about the value of education they are dedicated to provide those who attend . This is my first year attending college I am currently a freshmen my experience so far attending UTRGV has been great. I would encourage others to enroll.

Meghan

My overall opinion is that this university is constantly bettering itself. The culture of the campus is evolving, and pursuing a better experience for it’s students. It’s been ranked the fourth best college in Texas for 2019, and it has a long legacy of producing successful alumni.

Sofia

I love the amount of trees they have added, it gives a great atmosphere and there is more shade now.. They also give many minors for your type of career, the staff is great, they really do help, apart from classes its fun because they have many fun things to do .

Raja

The University of Rio Grand Valley is a growing university and every year it is getting better. It is just still lacking many fields of study. I am an artist, and my major is Fine and Studio Arts, and I was really surprised with the decency and quality of art classes in UTRGV due to it being in a small city like Edinburg. It could improve but all in all I am having a good experience with my education, and my professors are truly caring.

lorena

The school academics are great and they offer a variety of majors to choose from. The professors are very professional and good at their work they are usually available prior to scheduling a meeting and they are willing to help you and work with you in anyway they are able to.