The University of the Arts Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The University of the Arts

Naomi

Excellent schools with talented, dedicated and caring teachers. Ample opportunity for growth, immersion and first-hand experience.

Basil

University of The Arts is a school filled with unsurmountable amounts of student potential and talent. Students are always using the resources given to collaborate and create amazing art to give to the community. Teachers are very passionate about their work but there is a definitely a lack of ethnic representation at the school, specifically African American representation in the staff. We pay an extreme amount of money to go here but I often wonder where the money is going due to the poor conditions of some of our buildings and our dining hall especially. If a little more care and effort was put in to catering towards the students wants and needs and actually listening to our opinion, UArts would be an unstoppable school.

Joy

Before coming to UArts, I didn't understand why it was important for me to continue my education if my career interest is performance. Since attending this college, I'm so glad that I chose to continue my education. Aside from gaining amazing performance skills, my view of the arts has been broadened and moulded to help me become not only a performer but involved in discussion about my field and the culture surrounding it. I've learned the importance of strengthening my talent of dance (which is my main focus) and the importance of being active in the arts community. The professors here have helped me widen my scope of thinking in ways that I had not previously known were possible. Since I decided to continue my education, I also discovered through my Liberal Arts classes that I have a passion for social science and other academic areas outside of my major. Many times, this is rare for students in the arts to become interested in academic subjects, but I am fortunate to have learned from professors who have passion for their areas of work and teaching in the same way that I am passionate about dance, and now, learning. I don't believe that I would have the skills to be an effective performer or an be engaged student had I not attended The University of the Arts.

Jamie

I like it! Some of the teachers aren't great, but for the most part they're good. The students are really nice for the most part, too. I don't live on campus, but the rooms I've seen seem pretty nice. The food is ok at the dining hall, but great at Mangia. The buildings are pretty old though and the elevators break a lot.

Nina

I love this school. I'm currently a freshman in my second semester, and I have never felt more involved and accepted in my life. It's such an artistic and all encompassing atmosphere, and I know that between art, law, and chemistry, this was absolutely the right option. Every day I'm reminded that this school is unique, and exactly where I'm meant to be.

bellisant

UArts is a great school, but I wish they had more funding. Due to our small size we are always in smaller classes which I love. They are very helpful from an administrative side as well. The teachers are passionate and considerate. They really want you to be as excited as they are and most of the time, we are!

Chirs

The University of the Arts is a diverse learning environment. Student at Uarts has ample opportunities to dabble in all types of performing and fine arts. One of the only schools where creative minds can explore cross-curricular. As an upcoming freshman, I am eager and excited to part of this creative and innovative University.

Diara

I love this school and the people who attend. Everything that you need is pretty much accessible and makes us able to grow as a community. The teachers are understanding of all complications and they will help with all task and adventures you partake in. They continue to encourage us and help us with our journeys as people and artist.

The University of the Arts is an extremely diverse school in a great location. It's one of the few art colleges in the country that offers degrees in not only the visual arts, but also dance and theatre. Students are encouraged to take courses outside of their major as well, in order to expand your creative abilities. The student body is an incredibly creative bunch who are being instructed by professors who truly help and connect with students get a start in the professional world of the arts.

Ninah-Symone

The overall climate of The University of the Arts is good. Every professor is either a veteran of their profession or more so, still thriving in the art industry. This gives students an opportunity to network with their professors as well as their peers while learning advanced techniques. The location of the campus is along Broad St. which is one of the busiest streets of Center City Philadelphia, which means there is always shops, and resources accessible, such as open the campuses facility buildings, holding classrooms and studios are open until 2 am for students to utilize as a place to do homework or their own artwork at any time, and art supply stores such as Dick Blick in walking distance. However, I gave the school an overall three-star rating because there are two things I think the school has failed by the students. The first thing that needs revolution is our dining halls. The meals are unhealthy, greasy foods such as hamburgers, cheesesteaks, pasta, and tacos. A lot of the meals from the Terra Dining Hall, have given my friends food poisoning, being undercooked and unhealthy. I have experience pale green scrambled eggs and raw chicken sandwiches in my first semester alone. There is also a lack of the maintenance of the dorms. When I arrived, some of our stove tops did not work. Many of my friends also complained about emergency maintenance not responding for hours to leaks and other things of emergency related problems. Other than these two problems, I enjoy my experience at UARTS and will return to continue my education.

Shaurice

I love The University of the Arts because it allows me to be myself. I am allowed to grow here artistically, but also as an human. In addition, I am allowed to explore and participate in my other arts that I love outside of dance which is amazing. I don't have to restrict myself to only dance, which makes me extremely happy, although I do spend a lot of time with dance. Lastly, I appreciate how much the school is diversed and we have different events and clubs that allows me to respect and understand the different cultures. I am happy to be a current student at University of the Arts because it is my moment, but most importantly, it's my new home. There's no other place I'd rather be.

Sanniyah

I like the Students, but it's very hard to branch out and meet new people outside your major. They don't live giving out a lot of scholarships, and it's hard​ to get in contact with someone who can direct you to the right place. The events that they do hold aren't fun, which causes no one to show up to them.

Julie

I absolutely adore this school, and feel like I'm getting the best education I can be for my major, which is actually Costume Design. It's right in the middle of center city philadelphia, so it's the prime location within the city. There's a lot of outside connections that the school has available. It's always working to get better, as well.

WILL

As a first-year student, the University of the Arts is an okay school. I have spent seven years in art training only to find myself being retaught what I have already learned. My only complaint is that I wish I could fast forward past the foundations years and jump right into my real passions as opposed to the meticulous training I feel I have already endured.

Malynne

College in general is what you make of it. There are countless artistic opportunities at The University of the Arts that help students explore their career choices and help them to determine what specific field they wish to go into. The professors are all extremely supportive and make themselves available for as long as they can. There are also many work study opportunities within every major that can be explored by any student. The fact that the school makes it so easy for students to try everything is usually what appeals to incoming seniors and transfers and it certainly makes the students more positive about their paths. There are many opportunities for students at UArts, but it's up to them to take advantage of them.

Mark

The music school just now put all its funding into establishing new, state of the art resources and is currently in the process of ironing out and adjusting to all the new equipment and getting the right faculty so it'll take a handful of more years for them to really get their feet set in place.

Jasmyne

It is a good school. The environment is okay. Most people here are friendly. Sometimes it can be difficult to get to know people because the school does not have many social events. It's kind of weird because we are a University so I definitely expected there to be more social events. Otherwise, the school is okay. It is not a bad school, but there's room for improvement.

Aaron

My overall opinion of The University of the Arts (UARTS) is a dream to attend this school for vocal performance. The departments are wonderful and the ensembles, recitals and concerts are excellent to go to if you are a music fanatic. The teachers are always there if you need help with an assignment or something personal. They do not judge, but they do want to see their students succeed in the future. The classes are great and fun. I would recommend anyone to enroll in this institution.

Katlyn

The teachers are wonderful, but the housing accommodations needs major improvement. We lack air conditioning during the summer sometimes and heat in the winter. The buildings are so old and we pay entirely much for these school. The school is focus on teaching you amazing dance and other skills . But the living conditions are overrated.

Denisa

Overall, I did learn a lot here that I am surprisingly using in my post-grad daily life (Even in jobs that aren't in my field). I did not like the political-ness of the school. Some of the teachers were really cool and helpful others adopted favorites within their major. Then, there is a lack of resources considering the amount we pay in tuition. Most of the students here are terrible people, pretentious, and sociopathic bullies. Myself and a few of my friends got bullied really badly by other students for no reason. Even to the point where a couple of us needed time off from the University.

Brianna

I absolutely love the atmosphere, creativity and freedom. The curriculum is extremely art based no matter the major. Every class you take here is beneficial and will help you craft your profession. It's a family environment. Professors are more like your mentors versus your educators. Friendly student bodies, a ton of activities and events on campus. Guest speakers, performances etc.

Nicola

Very Awesome. Phenomenal University.