Wise, VA
The University of Virginia's College at Wise

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Virginia's College at Wise

Amber

The stereotype of students here are described as country bumpkins. However, its really only half the school. The rest are here through a sport, or just like the outdoors and mountains, so they decided to come here.

Sports is something most students here do. Whether its an actual sport or through intramural, students here love being active.

Just because first semester was easy, doesn't mean the second semester will be. Don't overload yourself because you thought you could handle more. As much as we both know you can, its better to stick with the same amount of credits and extracurricular activities because second semester you don't get as nearly the same amount of breaks and also you're so close to be going home at the end and you just give up on going to classes. If you find the right schedule for you, you wont be missing classes. Also DO NOT TAKE 8AMS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO BECAUSE YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Chelsea

I suppose the stereotype would be hick and no it isn't accurate. The students here come the 757, Nova, etc. giving the campus a diversity that isn't normally taken into consideration because of the campus' location in SWVA.

The intramural groups are the most poplar on campus. These teams range from soccer, walleyball, to softball and beyond. There are tourneys for these groups and getting the shirt is a big deal! GO CAVS GO!

Depending on your major the workload can seem a tad overwhelming, but the teachers are good at working with you and providing help. We have a student support center which allows students to acquire a tutor or to receive help with their papers. The center is very helpful. Seeing that the college is a Liberal Arts college, general education courses are required. These classes range from public speaking to basic drawing. All of the courses are insightful and allow students to broaden their horizons while still feeling comfortable.

tara

My classmates are the type of people you are instantly comfortable with.

My classmates are the type of people you are instantly comfortable with.

Dont change anything that you have done. You have made the best decision by choosing to go to this college. I would also tell myself to buy weather related clothing.

People who dont like unpredictitable weather or too much quiteness should not go to this school. People that like to party or people used to alot of necessities are should not go here. This school is in the mountains of rural Virginia.

Jamie

I would say UVA Wise is best known for its atmosphere. The mountains and the wildlife that surrounds the college is what truly makes Wise a unique university. Its hard to describe how beautiful this campus really is, especially now that its Fall and the leaves are beginning to change color.

As a freshman here at UVA Wise, ultimately I have learned to discipline myself to reach the goals I set. Graduating high school was a big success to me and being able to push myself and now being at college is ... quite the astonishment. A few years ago I had no goals, and I really didn't think I would graduate, now that I'm here and in the process of getting my degree, I have a faith in myself that I never had before. Attending college here has fully opened my eyes to a world where I know I can do anything if I set my mind to it. I have become an extremely hard worker and now that I've made it this far, nothing can stop me. Being here at UVA Wise has changed my life in many ways. Overall though, Wise has taught me nothing is impossible, and as long as I'm willing to do the work, I can take my life in any direction that I wish.

UVA Wise is a great school, however, the never ending construction can become frustrating at times. Right now Wise is in the process of building a new stadium, as well as new buildings and parking lots, and other facillities. The constant noise and traffic back-ups can sometimes get overwhellming, although I'm sure when everything is finished the full campus will look amazing!

Justin

My classmates come from a time forgotten!

My classmates come from a time forgotten!

My tolerance to other people and their culture has been the greatest experience to date. I am from a totally different background than 80% of my classmates. My school is in a very rural setting and i am used to more of a city environment. I have had to adapt to different and sometimes given up certain conveniences.

Jeshua

My classmates are incredible people. They are well rounded, and very educated people who come together to make the class a fun area to attend. We are serious and respect our professors in all of our endevours. I am proud to be involved with my classmates as a whole.

Out of attending The University of Virginia's College at Wise, I have received so much that has enabled me to grow intellectually and become a very well rounded persron. I have always had a sense of respect, but coming to this college has enabled me to refine that and set an example for my peers. The amount of knowledge that I have attained over the two semesters that I have attended at the college is substantial and is very beneficial to my future as a Computer Software Engineer. I find that one should take what they learn in school and apply it to the real world, so why not do this with ones education? The University of Virginia's College at Wise has benefited me by giving me the ability to understand many complex situations and resolve problems in the student body. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I do not believe that anyone should not attend this school! This is the best college that I have seen in our area, I believe that everyone should be allowed to attend our college.

gregory

I great place to study, learn, and to have fun.

I great place to study, learn, and to have fun.

The people at UVA at wise care about you and they want you to do gaet things with your life. It has a down to earth fill about the place. Class sizes are small there for there is more one on one with teachers and staff. The people here want to go to school and you met a lot of great poeple at the same time. That is why this college is the best.

That is a hard question but here is what I would says "Keep working hard and never give up on your dreams you will make them come true some day." I will be a long road that you must walk but it will be worth it in the end. You will be close to your family and you will be even closer to your dreams. The people that you will met will point you in the right direction you just have to trust them . The people and the expenices that you will have gained more knowledge in a life time then if sat there and did nothing. So go after your dreams anything is possiable if you try. The last thing I would say is " Belive in yourself and the world can be yours."

Meghan

My classmates are talkative, friendly people who are outgoing and who make an effort to make new friends.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to step back and think about my decision to go to Virginia Tech. I would ask myself to consider the fact that I would not know anyone, would be in classes with over 200 people, and that there would be times when people would pressure me to do things that I did not want to do. As a high school senior, I applied to only one college and was accepted via early admissions. I would tell my past-self to consider more options, and to create a back-up plan if I decided that I did not like attending Virginia Tech. I would also tell my high school self to enjoy the simple classes and to start developing better time management and study skills now, because they are valuable assets that can help alleviate stress later on. Finally, and most importantly, I would tell myself to enjoy the time that I have left as a high school student. College is another game entirely: there are many hours studying, irregular class schedules, time away from friends and family, and the high likelihood that you will have to work hard for every penny.

In the fall semester of 2009, I attending Virginia Tech. Though I enjoyed the classes, I felt that the environment was too large and impersonal. UVA-Wise is a much smaller university, and I believe that is the best thing about the college. The small size allows everyone to be familiar with one another, and the professors seem to truly care whether or not you succeed in their class. They simply do not lecture or give out the information, but they make an effort to ensure that everyone grasps the concept before moving on a different subject.

Whitley

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college is not one, big party like some people make it out to be. College requires a lot of hard work and going to class in order to make good grades. If I fail a class, then my GPA will be hard to bring back up. I would advise myself to stay focused and work hard to be a success and never let anyone tell me that I can't do it. I would tell myself to be confident and never take on more than I think I can handle. Study hard and prove to yourself and no one else that you are intelligent and can accomplish anything you set your mind to. I would tell myself to never let me down and to always know remember that ambition that I have always had and to never forget that ambition for one second. Always know that I have a chance to be great and I just have to reach for it and let myself have it. If I believe, then I truly can achieve.

Because this is a liberal arts college, I wish I had know all of the requirements to just finish the general education requirements. I believe that at first I did not believe it was going to be that bad and it is not really, but being an English major I would have to complete more Spanish and I don't quite understand why that would be required of me and I am an English major.

I consider the worst thing to be is that this school is too small. I have always wanted to go to a large school, that is why I want to transfer to a larger university in a bigger city.

This school, really, again comes down to the people. No other school I considered was so close-knit. This is a small campus and most people know eachother. If you don't know someone though, most people don't seem afraid to come up and just introduce themselves. Even the professors go out for coffee with the students. I've had large groups of friends go out to study at the local italian restaurant too. Everything here is people-focused.

I would tell myself..." Stop worrying Amanda, you're going to love it. The people wont be as bad as you think. You can handle the classes, you'll prove you can handle anything. Don't be afraid to expand your horizons, and be willing to experiment with your life. Nobody is going to hate you because of where you're from. The stereotypes are not as strong as you think. Just relax, enjoy your senior year and get ready for some of the best times of your life. So, just remember, you have got to stop worrying."

The people are the best thing about this school. Everyone is willing to help you adjust, fit in, get along, and get your work done. The professors are amazing and always willing to give you their all. The counselors are great, if they aren't in their offices, just e-mail them and they'll get back to you same day. Even the staff such as the cafeteria workers and the maintenance staff will smile and wave when you walk past.

The University of Virginia's College at Wise administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.