Pensacola, FL
The University of West Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of West Florida

Twymun

Never give up no matter how stressful or time consuming it gets, never give up when others lack understanding or sympathy for your situation, and never give up because God was with you every step of the way to see you through.

When applying for financial aid, you can never apply to early. Apply immediately!

As a college freshman looking to transfer for next fall, there would be many things I'd tell my high school senior self. First of all, I know you did hours of research on which colleges would be the best fit for you but.....way to go, you picked the wrong school. I do believe the University of West Florida can be a perfect fit for some, but it was exactly what I didn't need. Remember the type of students you associated with in high school? You need to find a college with a higher average GPA so you can be around more studious students, becuase in the future, you'll always feel like the smartest person in the room. Second, start a Best Buddies club at college. You were wrong, new clubs won't magically appear so save yourself the boredom and start a club already! And finally, stick to your gut, you're smart enough to know a good decision when you see one and you'll be very proud of yourself in the future if you continue to make great choices.

The best thing about my school is probably the housing. There are many options for on campus housing and I would definitely recomend it as it is a great resource to make new friends. The rooms are actually very big compared to other colleges and universities. I am currently in a triple as a freshman and I have room for all of my things (and trust me, I have a lot) and it is not very crowded. Plus, none of the dorms have community style bathrooms, which is awesome!

If you want to become part of Greek life, you should go here. The Greek life scene is pretty big and there isn't much to do on campus if you don't want to go Greek. Also, if you are into partying-this might be the place for you. I haven't met many people who don't like to party and people are always going out Thursday-Sunday.

Keilani

Writing letters to family and friends help with the homesickness. You won't feel it much the first year, but the second year you'll miss your family more. Also, believe in yourself. You'll make a lot of friends from being yourself so don't stress about it. By believing in yourself, your confidence will radiate outward and other people will see the confidence inside you. Lastly, don't change yourself to fit into situations that make you uncomfortable. Once people know how you stand on certain issues they'll respect your opinions even if they don't agree.

I wish i had know that it rained a lot here so I would have been prepared with rainboots. Everthing else I was prepared for.

I wish my fellow students had more pride in our school, though our school is currently working on that by starting a football team by 2016. I feel that the school will benefit greatly with this positive option.

Julianni

If my former self of two thousand and eight were to present itself before my very eyes and asked for advice on the challenges that tomorrow would bring, I would say one simple and straightforward word: persevere. Regardless of what obstacles thwart you in your path to success, you have to stay the course and persevere. No matter how many times you fail, you cannot allow past failures to influence any future endeavors, remain positive and persevere. Like the sailors of old, be steadfast in your pursuits. Hold sight of your goals and do not stray from the path laid before you, even if your voyage is to take you through darkened and unfamiliar waters. Do not let the words of naysayers creep into your conscience; doing so would invite the turbulent winds of self-doubt to sway you with extreme unease. Take each step in stride with the knowledge that robust character and interminable hope will be yours. Persevere and your life will be yours.

What i would consider to be the worst thing about the University of West Florida is the lack of parking spaces. Even as a student living on campus, I had a difficult time finding a parking spot. If I were to sum up all the time lost because of the waiting time for a parking spot, that figure would be outrageous. There were times that i had to park in faculty spots which eventually lead to a handful of tickets. The best advice I can give to a prospective student is to be highly effecient with their schedule.

The most frustrating thing about the University of West Florida would have to be its lack of employment on campus. Open positions for employment are limited and fill up rather quick, so students who are not as flexible with their schedules have to seek work elsewhere. The easiest way to resolve that is utilize all you time wisley. Even in a moment of rest, be productive with your time.

Kiara

The University of West Florida is best known for their prestigious academics and science programs. If the prospective student is interested in majoring in any sciences, be prepared for a challenging journey, but the medical or engineering field that follows graduation will be a lot smoother sailing, simply because the University of West Florida prepares each science or engineering major for their further education.

Knowing what I know now, as a upcoming second year undergraudate student, I would tell myself to go in with a strong mind, and not fall into peer pressure, be prepared to not easily grasp the material and just take full advantage of the help that is surrounding you.

I think this school is fit for anyone who is willing to put in the effort in their studies, prepared to study at least 20 hours a week. Definetly someone who is able to stay focused; that is not only at the University of West Florida, but at other post- secondary schools also.

Erika

The most important piece of advice I would give my high school self is that your mom is always right. Face it; every high school senior thinks they are so independent, and on top of the world, like they no longer need their parents. For me, I wanted to get out of the city I lived in for 18 years and move as far away as I could afford as quickly as possible. Mommy always told me that I’d miss it, but I swore I wouldn’t. Eventually you are here. Everyone you know that has come along with you to the same University starts changing. You lose your best friend when she abandons you for her older boyfriend; suddenly nothing feels right, and you feel kind of alone. You call your mom everyday because you miss her and all you want to do is go home. The student café is nothing like Mom’s home cooking, and sometimes, though you love your new friends, you just need someone to talk to who knows everything about you, to receive a little encouragement. Don’t be so hasty to fly out of the nest—you might fall a little first.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is the student that doesn't appreciate nature (as the campus is on a nature preserve), the student who wants to avoid the party scene, or the student who wants to be exceedingly challenged.

I'd say the most frustrating thing about my school as a freshman is having to live on campus and purchase a meal plan. As a student with limited means to pay for the over-priced things such as this, it has become sort of a nuisance. The party scene is also frustrating. Partying is a big thing at UWF, and it becomes obnoxious at times when you partner in a group assignment hasn't done their part because they were out partying too late over the weekend or the night before the project is due.

Matthew

UWF is a school that people should go to if they really want to get a bang for their buck and have the support from teachers that they should have.

To be honest, I would have told myself to switch my technical program. I would have benefitted from the Automotive program because of the basic knowlodge for car maintenance. I wouldve done harder classes and worked more intensely on my subjects because of the roll over effect that it has in college. I think that college is just like highschool, but the only difference is time management and I would've told myself to set a schedule for class, work, studying, homework, etc. To be frank, I would tell myself to do a 180 degree change in order to succeed. I would tell myself to look more into scholarships and especially into what college to go to. I was too quick to pick a school, but I still love it at UWF. All in all, I would tell myself to take it way more seriously than I did back then and to be more subjuective to setting a schedule.

University of West Florida is a school that is in a secluded location on a nature preserve. The teachers that are there generally care about the well-being of their students and they will work with you one-on-one if needed. It's a small school and everyone knows eachother and it is easy to get along with people.

Rocio

College is very different from high school; if I had the chance to go back and tell myself a few things it would probably make things easier. I would have made sure I had a plan B to school and how to pay for it. Bought a car and got my driver's license earlier so I could be more independent. Scholarship would have been a good idea to start looking up and filling out applications.

Quincie

Classmates are very diversed in opinion and most are egar to learn.

Classmates are very diversed in opinion and most are egar to learn.

I f i had the chance to address my younger self, I would let her know that although she should enjoy high schoolshe should take advantage of every oppurtuniy handed her. I would also let her know that the road ahead is not easy, there are a lot of obsticles that she is gonna face, but it is just to make her stronger. I would tell her that there is a whole knew world that she is in for, so gear up with the most important things : an openmind, a hunger to learn, and with a sense of who you are. I would warn her of the very long road that lies ahead, that the are going to be times where everything she knows is tested. In those times, i would tell her to turn to those who keep you grounded. I would tell her to welcome some change with open arms, that not all changeis bad event tho it hurts. I would let her know that pain will fade, and there is light at the end, you just got to keep going.

This campus would be ideal for a student who enjoys ruarl settings, a small campus , and a small community of people. Everyone in this school, do to its small size tends to be reconginize each other. Students who enjoy one on one attention for teacher will be please to know the UWF has a student teacher ratio of one to twenty-five. This campus is the perfect campusfor students who do not enjoy the big city life and instead like the family feel of a small community.

Christine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself, first and foremost save money for a rainy day just in case I needed to pay out of pocket for books and any other supplies you need in a certain period of time which I had to pursue. Next I would tell myself, do not stress myself over college and how "hard" people claim it is because when I started last semester, it was better than high school. The teachers and labs will help out as much as they can to make me understand the material, but more than half of the time the material is easy to understand. Also, I would tell myself not to worry about leaving my old friends, because it is actully fun getting to know people from all around the country and from different backgrounds and create many connections.

If there are any worst things about my university, they are most likly resolving the problem. I pretty much like everything since I started school there.

I believe everyone should attend my university! The University of West Florida has great professors and great learning outcomes. My university strives to push diversity, in which there are many organizations that will fit anyone's needs. We strive to not leave anyone behind. If someone is in need of help, it is always avaliable, especially when I was a first time freshman last semester.

The University of West Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.