Pensacola, FL
The University of West Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of West Florida

Gabrielle

The uniqu attribute my school possesses is their caring attitude towards the students. The teachers and faculty make going to school here a personal experience for every single student. The school offers free tutoring in every subject, as well as many facilities to help students personally such as a financial center and a health center.

Giving advice to my former self, I would recommend researching scholarships and applying for all that I qualify for. I would also advise myself to listen to my parents more. While at the time you may want them off your back, in the future they are the only ones who will have your back. I would advise myself to do lots of research on balancing classes and homework as well as balancing my personal finances.

I wish I would have known about many scholarship options out there, as well as how to manage finanaces and homework.

Gabriellah

My school is unique in comparison to the other three schools I applied to in that it has an amazing department for veterans and dependents. I didn’t get to visit any schools because I was stationed in Germany (my father’s in the military), but the University of West Florida offered a Military and Veterans program that would help make my going to school easier by providing me with tutors and access to the Yellow Ribbon program, making it easier to pay for my degree.

If I could travel back in time and give my high school senior self some advice, I would jump at the change. I'm currently only a week into school, and already the stress of paying for tuition, meal plan, and my dorm room. It's really hard making everything work out and being able to get everything under control. I would tell myself that I should not decide to ignore the scholarships I checked out. Why? Because scholarships are essential for all years of university learning, but especially that first year, when you're not used to paying five-digit sums of money. I would tell myself that every little bit counts, even scholarships only worth $100, because there's $100 dollars less that you'll have to come up with when it's time to pay your dues. I would also tell my senior self to really enjoy the transition, and that it's easy to start making new friends, no matter how scared and nervous you are. I would tell myself not to be shy, because you're about to meet some really awesome people.

I have no real complaints about my school. I've only been going to classes for a week now, and the only thing I really can complain about is the large set of stairs I have to walk in order to get from my dorm to the commons or any of my classes. But honestly, my school is great and I couldn't ask for better.

The University of West Florida is unique to me because it is a local school where I grew up. It is a pretty big school but it has no football team up until last year when they started to make one. The campus has nature trails and disk golf courses which appeal to me because I like being outside. Not many schools that I looked at have nature trails.

If I could go back to my sophmore year in high school and warn myself about how different college would be I would tell myself not to rush it. I started college when I was a junior in highschool and finished out highschool with college. It has impacted how fast I matured and how responsible I am. I would make myself go to football games and pep rallies instead of skipping them because I was not interested. I would have joined more clubs and participated in all the extracurricular activities instead of trying to grow up so quick. I would tell myself stay in high school and do not rush to college!

I wish I would have known before I came to this school how little of parking there is. You better arrive thirty minutes early for class so you can park two miles away and have time to walk all the way to class. Better bring a long board or skate board to make it quick!

Morgan

The best advice I could give my highschool self would be "You get out, what you put it." This could apply to anything in life, but specifically with college. The more time and effort that you put into anything in college, the greater the reward will be. The more time you take studying, the better your grades will be. The more time and effort you spend in making new friends, the better your friendships will be. You cant expect everything to just be handed to you. You can expect people to just come to you. If you're lonely and think you don't have any friends in college, it's probably because you did not try to make friends or you didnt try hard enough. It's just like excercising. The more and the harder you work out, the greater your results will be.

I think UWF has something for everyone.

I brag about the size of the campus. I think it's the perfect size. You meet people that you might actually see again, but it's also big enough to make new friends all the time.

Lexis

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to study hard and often. Most seniors want to enjoy their last year of high school and worry about studying anymore. When I first got to college and took some of my first tests I ended up failing them due to the way I studied and the lack of studying. The word "studying" becomes a whole new meaning when entering college. I never really had to study in high school to get good grades, but I found out quickly that studying was a very important factor to passing college level classes. The way I had to study for each class in college varied so I had to learn quick in order to boost my gpa. If I would have been able to follow my own advice during my senior year of high school, I feel that I may have been much more prepared for the intensity and amount of studying that I faced as a college freshman.

People who may prefer the big crowd atmosphere in classrooms with over 200 students, or big time athletes would probably not want to attend this school. The University of West Florida is not a huge college like Florida State, nor is it a division I school. UWF is a mid-size, division II college.

When people ask me what I like most about going to the University of West Florida I always tell them that I love the class sizes and professors. The class sizes are not too big and not too small. They are just right. All of my professors have been more than willing to always help me out with things that I struggled on.

Twymun

Never give up no matter how stressful or time consuming it gets, never give up when others lack understanding or sympathy for your situation, and never give up because God was with you every step of the way to see you through.

When applying for financial aid, you can never apply to early. Apply immediately!

As a college freshman looking to transfer for next fall, there would be many things I'd tell my high school senior self. First of all, I know you did hours of research on which colleges would be the best fit for you but.....way to go, you picked the wrong school. I do believe the University of West Florida can be a perfect fit for some, but it was exactly what I didn't need. Remember the type of students you associated with in high school? You need to find a college with a higher average GPA so you can be around more studious students, becuase in the future, you'll always feel like the smartest person in the room. Second, start a Best Buddies club at college. You were wrong, new clubs won't magically appear so save yourself the boredom and start a club already! And finally, stick to your gut, you're smart enough to know a good decision when you see one and you'll be very proud of yourself in the future if you continue to make great choices.

The best thing about my school is probably the housing. There are many options for on campus housing and I would definitely recomend it as it is a great resource to make new friends. The rooms are actually very big compared to other colleges and universities. I am currently in a triple as a freshman and I have room for all of my things (and trust me, I have a lot) and it is not very crowded. Plus, none of the dorms have community style bathrooms, which is awesome!

If you want to become part of Greek life, you should go here. The Greek life scene is pretty big and there isn't much to do on campus if you don't want to go Greek. Also, if you are into partying-this might be the place for you. I haven't met many people who don't like to party and people are always going out Thursday-Sunday.

Keilani

Writing letters to family and friends help with the homesickness. You won't feel it much the first year, but the second year you'll miss your family more. Also, believe in yourself. You'll make a lot of friends from being yourself so don't stress about it. By believing in yourself, your confidence will radiate outward and other people will see the confidence inside you. Lastly, don't change yourself to fit into situations that make you uncomfortable. Once people know how you stand on certain issues they'll respect your opinions even if they don't agree.

I wish i had know that it rained a lot here so I would have been prepared with rainboots. Everthing else I was prepared for.

I wish my fellow students had more pride in our school, though our school is currently working on that by starting a football team by 2016. I feel that the school will benefit greatly with this positive option.

Julianni

If my former self of two thousand and eight were to present itself before my very eyes and asked for advice on the challenges that tomorrow would bring, I would say one simple and straightforward word: persevere. Regardless of what obstacles thwart you in your path to success, you have to stay the course and persevere. No matter how many times you fail, you cannot allow past failures to influence any future endeavors, remain positive and persevere. Like the sailors of old, be steadfast in your pursuits. Hold sight of your goals and do not stray from the path laid before you, even if your voyage is to take you through darkened and unfamiliar waters. Do not let the words of naysayers creep into your conscience; doing so would invite the turbulent winds of self-doubt to sway you with extreme unease. Take each step in stride with the knowledge that robust character and interminable hope will be yours. Persevere and your life will be yours.

What i would consider to be the worst thing about the University of West Florida is the lack of parking spaces. Even as a student living on campus, I had a difficult time finding a parking spot. If I were to sum up all the time lost because of the waiting time for a parking spot, that figure would be outrageous. There were times that i had to park in faculty spots which eventually lead to a handful of tickets. The best advice I can give to a prospective student is to be highly effecient with their schedule.

The most frustrating thing about the University of West Florida would have to be its lack of employment on campus. Open positions for employment are limited and fill up rather quick, so students who are not as flexible with their schedules have to seek work elsewhere. The easiest way to resolve that is utilize all you time wisley. Even in a moment of rest, be productive with your time.

Kiara

The University of West Florida is best known for their prestigious academics and science programs. If the prospective student is interested in majoring in any sciences, be prepared for a challenging journey, but the medical or engineering field that follows graduation will be a lot smoother sailing, simply because the University of West Florida prepares each science or engineering major for their further education.

Knowing what I know now, as a upcoming second year undergraudate student, I would tell myself to go in with a strong mind, and not fall into peer pressure, be prepared to not easily grasp the material and just take full advantage of the help that is surrounding you.

I think this school is fit for anyone who is willing to put in the effort in their studies, prepared to study at least 20 hours a week. Definetly someone who is able to stay focused; that is not only at the University of West Florida, but at other post- secondary schools also.

The University of West Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.