Pensacola, FL
The University of West Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of West Florida

Morgan

The best advice I could give my highschool self would be "You get out, what you put it." This could apply to anything in life, but specifically with college. The more time and effort that you put into anything in college, the greater the reward will be. The more time you take studying, the better your grades will be. The more time and effort you spend in making new friends, the better your friendships will be. You cant expect everything to just be handed to you. You can expect people to just come to you. If you're lonely and think you don't have any friends in college, it's probably because you did not try to make friends or you didnt try hard enough. It's just like excercising. The more and the harder you work out, the greater your results will be.

I think UWF has something for everyone.

I brag about the size of the campus. I think it's the perfect size. You meet people that you might actually see again, but it's also big enough to make new friends all the time.

Lexis

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to study hard and often. Most seniors want to enjoy their last year of high school and worry about studying anymore. When I first got to college and took some of my first tests I ended up failing them due to the way I studied and the lack of studying. The word "studying" becomes a whole new meaning when entering college. I never really had to study in high school to get good grades, but I found out quickly that studying was a very important factor to passing college level classes. The way I had to study for each class in college varied so I had to learn quick in order to boost my gpa. If I would have been able to follow my own advice during my senior year of high school, I feel that I may have been much more prepared for the intensity and amount of studying that I faced as a college freshman.

People who may prefer the big crowd atmosphere in classrooms with over 200 students, or big time athletes would probably not want to attend this school. The University of West Florida is not a huge college like Florida State, nor is it a division I school. UWF is a mid-size, division II college.

When people ask me what I like most about going to the University of West Florida I always tell them that I love the class sizes and professors. The class sizes are not too big and not too small. They are just right. All of my professors have been more than willing to always help me out with things that I struggled on.

Twymun

Never give up no matter how stressful or time consuming it gets, never give up when others lack understanding or sympathy for your situation, and never give up because God was with you every step of the way to see you through.

When applying for financial aid, you can never apply to early. Apply immediately!

As a college freshman looking to transfer for next fall, there would be many things I'd tell my high school senior self. First of all, I know you did hours of research on which colleges would be the best fit for you but.....way to go, you picked the wrong school. I do believe the University of West Florida can be a perfect fit for some, but it was exactly what I didn't need. Remember the type of students you associated with in high school? You need to find a college with a higher average GPA so you can be around more studious students, becuase in the future, you'll always feel like the smartest person in the room. Second, start a Best Buddies club at college. You were wrong, new clubs won't magically appear so save yourself the boredom and start a club already! And finally, stick to your gut, you're smart enough to know a good decision when you see one and you'll be very proud of yourself in the future if you continue to make great choices.

The best thing about my school is probably the housing. There are many options for on campus housing and I would definitely recomend it as it is a great resource to make new friends. The rooms are actually very big compared to other colleges and universities. I am currently in a triple as a freshman and I have room for all of my things (and trust me, I have a lot) and it is not very crowded. Plus, none of the dorms have community style bathrooms, which is awesome!

If you want to become part of Greek life, you should go here. The Greek life scene is pretty big and there isn't much to do on campus if you don't want to go Greek. Also, if you are into partying-this might be the place for you. I haven't met many people who don't like to party and people are always going out Thursday-Sunday.

Keilani

Writing letters to family and friends help with the homesickness. You won't feel it much the first year, but the second year you'll miss your family more. Also, believe in yourself. You'll make a lot of friends from being yourself so don't stress about it. By believing in yourself, your confidence will radiate outward and other people will see the confidence inside you. Lastly, don't change yourself to fit into situations that make you uncomfortable. Once people know how you stand on certain issues they'll respect your opinions even if they don't agree.

I wish i had know that it rained a lot here so I would have been prepared with rainboots. Everthing else I was prepared for.

I wish my fellow students had more pride in our school, though our school is currently working on that by starting a football team by 2016. I feel that the school will benefit greatly with this positive option.

Julianni

If my former self of two thousand and eight were to present itself before my very eyes and asked for advice on the challenges that tomorrow would bring, I would say one simple and straightforward word: persevere. Regardless of what obstacles thwart you in your path to success, you have to stay the course and persevere. No matter how many times you fail, you cannot allow past failures to influence any future endeavors, remain positive and persevere. Like the sailors of old, be steadfast in your pursuits. Hold sight of your goals and do not stray from the path laid before you, even if your voyage is to take you through darkened and unfamiliar waters. Do not let the words of naysayers creep into your conscience; doing so would invite the turbulent winds of self-doubt to sway you with extreme unease. Take each step in stride with the knowledge that robust character and interminable hope will be yours. Persevere and your life will be yours.

What i would consider to be the worst thing about the University of West Florida is the lack of parking spaces. Even as a student living on campus, I had a difficult time finding a parking spot. If I were to sum up all the time lost because of the waiting time for a parking spot, that figure would be outrageous. There were times that i had to park in faculty spots which eventually lead to a handful of tickets. The best advice I can give to a prospective student is to be highly effecient with their schedule.

The most frustrating thing about the University of West Florida would have to be its lack of employment on campus. Open positions for employment are limited and fill up rather quick, so students who are not as flexible with their schedules have to seek work elsewhere. The easiest way to resolve that is utilize all you time wisley. Even in a moment of rest, be productive with your time.

Kiara

The University of West Florida is best known for their prestigious academics and science programs. If the prospective student is interested in majoring in any sciences, be prepared for a challenging journey, but the medical or engineering field that follows graduation will be a lot smoother sailing, simply because the University of West Florida prepares each science or engineering major for their further education.

Knowing what I know now, as a upcoming second year undergraudate student, I would tell myself to go in with a strong mind, and not fall into peer pressure, be prepared to not easily grasp the material and just take full advantage of the help that is surrounding you.

I think this school is fit for anyone who is willing to put in the effort in their studies, prepared to study at least 20 hours a week. Definetly someone who is able to stay focused; that is not only at the University of West Florida, but at other post- secondary schools also.

Erika

The most important piece of advice I would give my high school self is that your mom is always right. Face it; every high school senior thinks they are so independent, and on top of the world, like they no longer need their parents. For me, I wanted to get out of the city I lived in for 18 years and move as far away as I could afford as quickly as possible. Mommy always told me that I’d miss it, but I swore I wouldn’t. Eventually you are here. Everyone you know that has come along with you to the same University starts changing. You lose your best friend when she abandons you for her older boyfriend; suddenly nothing feels right, and you feel kind of alone. You call your mom everyday because you miss her and all you want to do is go home. The student café is nothing like Mom’s home cooking, and sometimes, though you love your new friends, you just need someone to talk to who knows everything about you, to receive a little encouragement. Don’t be so hasty to fly out of the nest—you might fall a little first.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is the student that doesn't appreciate nature (as the campus is on a nature preserve), the student who wants to avoid the party scene, or the student who wants to be exceedingly challenged.

I'd say the most frustrating thing about my school as a freshman is having to live on campus and purchase a meal plan. As a student with limited means to pay for the over-priced things such as this, it has become sort of a nuisance. The party scene is also frustrating. Partying is a big thing at UWF, and it becomes obnoxious at times when you partner in a group assignment hasn't done their part because they were out partying too late over the weekend or the night before the project is due.

Matthew

UWF is a school that people should go to if they really want to get a bang for their buck and have the support from teachers that they should have.

To be honest, I would have told myself to switch my technical program. I would have benefitted from the Automotive program because of the basic knowlodge for car maintenance. I wouldve done harder classes and worked more intensely on my subjects because of the roll over effect that it has in college. I think that college is just like highschool, but the only difference is time management and I would've told myself to set a schedule for class, work, studying, homework, etc. To be frank, I would tell myself to do a 180 degree change in order to succeed. I would tell myself to look more into scholarships and especially into what college to go to. I was too quick to pick a school, but I still love it at UWF. All in all, I would tell myself to take it way more seriously than I did back then and to be more subjuective to setting a schedule.

University of West Florida is a school that is in a secluded location on a nature preserve. The teachers that are there generally care about the well-being of their students and they will work with you one-on-one if needed. It's a small school and everyone knows eachother and it is easy to get along with people.

Rocio

College is very different from high school; if I had the chance to go back and tell myself a few things it would probably make things easier. I would have made sure I had a plan B to school and how to pay for it. Bought a car and got my driver's license earlier so I could be more independent. Scholarship would have been a good idea to start looking up and filling out applications.

The University of West Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.