Pensacola, FL
The University of West Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of West Florida

Alexis

My school is a public university , yet not many students. My school is not expensive like most schools, my school university of west florida is a home-like environment and community. UWF campus is known for its nature enivornment.

Know what you want to purse as a career or at least something in the field , so you will know what courses you will need to take; because when you keep changing your major you could have been taking irrelevant classes. Make sure you pay all your dues to the college because if not it can stop you from registering for classes and other things. Make sure you surround yourself with well rounded people in other words people who know how to have fun but also know when it is time to hit the books. Make sure you know how many classes you can handle and the time of day you take them.

Michelle

Young and sheltered. When I attended Virginia Tech, the students MOVED to school.. they did not commute to school. Most Virginia Tech students were nearly living on thier own, or ready to do so once school was done. UWF students seem to get a LOT of support from their local families.

Being the only University in Pensacola. Building new dorms on campus to accomodate more students. Expected to have a football team of some sort in the near future.

I would wish that I was not told "You can be anything"... I thought I could be "everything". With all the guidance, direction, and short-leashes, I had growing up, I was suddenly thrust into college life thinking I could do/be it all. But suddenly, I had a lot of "me" searching to do in college, while constantly being hounded by the folks about what I was going to be after school- this part they did dictate to me. For those 4 years, I did not realize that it was my time to make choices. I knew I liked "critters", was good at problem solving, and was repeatedly drawn to people that needed help (but not needy, whiney people). I started in Biology, then Psychology, and ended up with a BS in Marketing Management. Ten years later I went back and got a BS Psychology. But, I'm still not done. I wish now, that I knew that the few "less than stellar" grades (anything below a B) earned during my first BS would stack up... resulting in 204credits, and a terminal 2.9788888... will require years of 3cr/As to create a competative GPA for Graduate school.

Brenda

Brenda, I would tell myself...put your head down and get to work! That $8/hr job isn't your dream job and it's not going to pay the bills. You know you were born to be a nurse...you feel it, you believe it. Stop thinking you aren't smart enough. Now, when you get to college just remember everyone will seem smarter than you, everyone will seem more ready to be on this giant campus, in these giant classrooms. If you get lost (and you will because you KNOW you have no built-in GPS) don't worry...ask for help - you aren't the only lost girl on campus. Be smart...keep away from college boys...they're dumb and distracting. Focus, Brenda...and make time to volunteer...feed your soul, feed the hungry, just do something that matters on a global scale. The math courses will make you feel as if you cannot breathe...they've always done that to you. Use your resources on campus, they're there for you. And please listen to your professors...they're smart...smarter than you, my dear. Good luck Brenda-you can do this!!!

Darrius

If i could go back in time and change any advice to my self as a senior in high school. Knowing what i know now, i would tell myself to take my education as serious as i do now in respect of paying attention in class, doing my homework, and studying to insure better grades and a higher academic acheivement as a student persuing my diploma. As a result i would have be elgible for more scholarships to help with the everlasting expenses and hardships of the college life. I would also keep reminding myself to stay focus on the goal of getting an higher education, as a result there will come great advantages and rewards at the end of the road. If i could be a bird on the wall in my high school class i would tell myself to stop playing in my present and think carefule about preparing myself for the future.

The best thing about the University of West Florida is the motivation, passion, and drive the school have for making every endiviual student successful and an prominate employee in the work force and society.

The kind of perosn that shouldn't attend this school is someone who is not serious about their fellow class mates and also their education.

Heaveny

Knowing what you are going to college for saves a lot of time and money. It's better to go to college when you are ready. Look for scholorships and avoid student loans. Make youself count at your University. Applying yourself is key. Don't just be satisfied with a "C ". It's more rewarding with an "A" or a "B". It really helps out your GPA. Don't be afraid to go the extra mile. Push yourself to complete the task. Put in your mind that you will graduate. Set a date. Talk to your advisor regularly. Make sure you are on track. Set long term and short term goals. Don't wait until the last minute to study. Study 30 minutes to an hour each day. Stay ahead of the class. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Be Involved in campus activities. Be positive. Be optimistic. Don't be influenced by your peers, unless it is positive. Try to hang around like minded people. People who have a common purpose and goal. This helps the process go by a lot smoother. If at first you don't succeed try again. Make the next grade count.

Jaclynn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouldn't have too much advice to give. The only thing I would tell myself would be to take more AP classes or do dual enrollment! Back then, such things seemed like a small bonus, but something that wouldn't affect me too much in the long run. Now that I am here, I realize just how wrong I was. Every little thing you can do to improve your future early on helps--from gpa, to college credit, to extracurricular activities that may win you a scholarship. The earlier you get to work on your future, the easier your future just falls into place. The harder you work in the beginning, the less work there is ahead of you in the end. It is a big deal; no matter how small it seems, it is a big deal.

The best thing about my school is the class size. I have seen friends in other univerisities become overwhelmed with the size and pressure of large schools. This school is a bit less-prestigious than some, but the classes allow for a lot of learning if you take them seriously. This is possible because each and every student has a chance to engage in the class, join in the discussion, and ask questions if they need to... all because of the small class size (my average class has had 40 students).

Someone who thrives in small classes with engaging and driven professors should attend here.

Blake

an immensley engaging, fun, safe, beautiful, and great place to be with amazing, caring, and all around awesome staff and pee...

an immensley engaging, fun, safe, beautiful, and great place to be with amazing, caring, and all around awesome staff and peers.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior with the knowledge I gained from my first year in college I would tell myself to relax. Before I went to college I was nervous about being away from home for so long in a place I didnt know with roommates I hadnt met while trying to make good grades at college. It was strange at first but I adapted quickly and made many friends. I even managed to make straight a’s in college. I would tell myself to keep my chin up because crazy things will happen. My roommates and I hit it off at first but things quickly went south to the point of having to change rooms. It was extremely frustrating but I got through it by keeping my chin up. The most important thing I would tell myself is to hang out with friends as much as possible. Dorm rooms are very small and sharing that space is not easy. Leaving the dorm room and hanging out with friends as a stress reliever can really save your sanity. All in all the transition from high school to college just takes perseverance.

my school makes some silly decisions. they didnt act fast enough to punish a trouble maker who had stolen from me insulted several people including me and had several other incidents on campus. they designated housing in strange ways by giving 90% of on campus dorm buildings to incoming freshmen only which left many of us incoming sophmores out in the cold. they forced some double rooms to become triple rooms AND single rooms to become double rooms even though they werent out fitted as such.the mess hall staff is lazy.

The University of West Florida makes their students a top priority.

The University of West Florida makes their students a top priority.

The University of West Florida really cares about their students and seems determined to help transfer students achieve their higher education goals.

I would tell myself, college is harder then high school and be prepaired from the start. I would also tell myself, college should always be a top prority. Never let the small things get in your way. Stay focused and your goals will be achieved.

Christina

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school self to prepare to study hard in college. College courses are rigorous and difficult at times so students have to study very hard to get good grades. Grades are very important in college because it determines if you can get to a good graduate school or not. I would also tell my high school self to prioritize my time wisely in college. In my first year of college, I did not utilize my time right and so I didn't get the good grades I was accostomed to in high school. From that mistake, I learned to study very hard every chance I get. Lastly, I would also tell my high school self to enjoy every aspect of college. College is about exploring your options in life and taking every opportunity that comes to you. Looking back, I would have been more involved in school activites and joined more clubs. The people that you meet in college might be a part of your life in the long run.

Christian

Simply put, keep fighting and do not lose heart. You see everyone around you slacking off, partying with their friends, and throwing in the towel. You are part of a small group that sees what the real essence of the college experience entails. The way you study, how you dedicate yourself to service and Taekwondo, you understand that college will be a rush to get your degree. A word of warning, though; be prepared to step it up. Mercy is limited in college and so is time. If you thought you watched the clock with anticipation and fever before, some of your classes will intensify that feeling twofold; the same is true wih service and application deadlines. However, know this; your battle is not in vain. You will strive to make a much better life for yourself and enrich your surrounding environment with a career you love to invest time in. In addition, everyone that thought they were the greatest and spent their time partying, drinking, and throwing precious time away, those who once claimed to be your friends, they will be struggling so much. Proactiveness and a will to fight is the crucial key. Everyone at college shares that.

In many high school classes, teachers barely take the time to get to know their students by their learning styles, mannerisms in class, and even by name; this can also be said for more than a few colleges. The University of West Florida provides a classroom environment in which instructors are personally invested in students' academic journeys and willingly work with them through all trials over the course of a semester and beyond.

The University of West Florida is a place of new beginnings; every student is basically granted a clean slate to work with. This almost-cliche statement is more than true. Most everybody you will meet is driven to academically succeed to gain credentials to find a career. The most successful and most genuine students toss their high-school baggage at the front door; it does not matter what you accomplished in high school, how many dates you recieved, or if you were the class jock or star student. Those who carry those burdens with an inflated head will be hindered.

The University of West Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.