Norfolk, VA
Tidewater Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tidewater Community College

Mackenzie

It is a wonderful campus with friendly people and helpful teachers. David Neff and Andrea Palmisano are my FAVORITES! I never feel that I am unsafe or at risk. I want to continue to attend Tidewater Community College until I am eligible for transfer. It has been an absolute pleasure!

Ali

Upon graduating high school, I was extremely nervous about becoming an adult. That may sound strange, but in fact, a lot of people my age face this kind of anxiety daily – we talk about it often. With that being said, I did not feel like I was responsible enough to move far from home and indulge myself in full-on college life style. Instead, I decided to enroll at Tidewater Community College, and I can honestly say that it was the first and best adult decision I have ever made. At TCC the class sizes are small, which gives every student the opportunity to get to know their professors and actively participate in the classroom. Walking into a room where the professor knows exactly who I am always boosts my confidence and level of attention. With a 25:1 student-teacher ratio, I would have to try extremely hard to get lost in the crowd. Also, here at TCC, professors go out of their way to ensure that each student not only meets, but exceeds their expectations. In and out of the classroom, they push us to study, attend class, and read ahead. Professors here at TCC are a part of our support system, rather than a force working against us. A visitor strolling through campus will also find themselves in the middle of a hectic, active student body. At TCC we believe in being an active member of our community, so everywhere one turns there is either a political meeting, community service opportunity, or a recreational sport being played. I am also proud to say that over half of the students attending TCC are members of Phi Theta Kappa, an honor society that recognizes outstanding academic achievement and provides students with a competitive edge. My time at Tidewater Community College has been extremely well spent, and has adequately prepared me for the next step in my life. With help from my professors, Phi Theta Kappa, and the supportive Administration Team here at TCC, I am now a well-rounded, confident adult, but always a student first.

Jahshya

Tidewater Community College is more of a gateway school. This institution isn't for campus life and the real college experience. For example I along with a couple of friends I graduated High School with are attending TCC to get our general education courses out of the way at a cheaper rate. This is my last semester attending TCC and I look to continue my education at VCU in the Spring. Don't get me wrong TCC is a cool and great place to earn some credits and transfer but not really a great place for the college experience most students are looking for.

Rina

I see this school as a great opportunity to get your feet into a four year university. They provide emails of upcoming events and actively contact their students to participate in anything local related to either your degree program or just for kicks to get some stress off your chest. Even the professor's will try to suggest a few links or programs to enhance the success rate throughout the class which are incredibly helpful. This school, as long as you are motivated with a will to succeed then the experience that you get becomes one of the best experiences you will not regret. Though as great as it is, be sure to still keep safe and walk with a companion if you can - a city is still a city.

Tonya

Great college if you are on a budget but ready to improve your skills. Awesome for transferring to 4 year colleges. Integrated into the downtown area, so it can be confusing to find and navigate at first but surrounded by places to eat and shop. Lots to do with the water so close by and Virginia Beach 30 minutes out. I would recommend this school to anyone!

Terenda
LOVE TCC LIFE!!

LOVE TCC LIFE!!

I've enjoyed my time at TCC... from the campuses to the instructors and staff. All have provided me with the necessary materials to go on to higher education!

Bethany

Tidewater Community College is the perfect school to transition from high school to a 4-year institution, because you can take normal college without moving away and adjusting to a brand new environment.

Tidewater Community College has very few social events, which means that if you don't know people already attending the school you willl not have many opportunities to make friends or socialize.

Ariel

If I could go back in time, I would let myself know to manage my time more for studying, join more clubs or sports, and prepare myself to apply for Universities or 4 year colleges before the deadline. Managing my time more would help me in getting a higher GPA. Joining clubs or sports would help my resume for entering a 4 year college. Not procastinating would help meet the deadlines for the colleges. Overall, high school was a good experience, I just wish I worked harder to help my future education. Now that I am in college, I am more focused and have a better motivation to strive for my goals.

I wish I would of known the more of the resources at the school such as the computer lab.

I brag most about the enviornment at my school. The teachers are excellent at teaching, resources are endless, and overall it is a very clean and organized school. Staff and students are pleasant and I enjoy coming to school.

Marianna

I think that it's lovely! I have the opportunity to get all of my General Education requirements completed before transferring (to Hollins). Another plus is the fact that I am close to my family and near my campus there are a ton of cool things to do.

I think that the stereotype of community college students is that we are dumb, or lazy and that we couldn't get into bigger schools. That could't be farther from the truth! Community college students are actually VERY smart. We know that it's more economically smart to take general education classes at a local college and then transfer to a uni thus saving you time and money.

The Phi Beta Kappa and the SAAB (Student African-American Brotherhood). Activity wise it's humpday dodgeball and the freshmart which is a bi-monthly farmers market that comes to campus.

TCC has three different campuses and the one that I attend is home to the mathematics and scientific sides of the college. In VA Beach (approx 20 mins away) most of the language classes are held there and the Chesapeake campus (15-17 mins away) houses theater, film and art classes.

DeNiro

I would have to say that the staff here genuinely care about the students success. Most of the professors actually care about your standing in their class and offer to take time off to help students. They also provide tutoring services for people who are strugling in their academic studies.

Hey it's your future self here, I want you to read this carefully and adhere to my advice. Stay focused on your grades this last year and most importantly the material taught. You actually need to know this stuff in order to get through college. I know it may seem useless in the real world but it will help spare you from the countless hours of studying. Some of it you will need to know if you still want to become the great engineer we both know we're capable of. Also get a job and save your money and dont waste it on useless junk. Now is the time to start applying for scholoarships not later. If you have to take some time off from sports and focus on your academics then due so. We can do it, you just have to stay focused on our goal and keep pushing forward. Your going to have a fun time, and learn many new things and hey, good luck kid.

I have noticed that TCC is great at organizing everything but their academics. What I mean is, if you miss a class most times you're left in the dark and cant get caught up. I would like to see them set up an online grading site where you can actually see your current standings for each class that you're taking, as well as each assignment for that particular class and the due dates. This proposal would tremendously help with the feedback between students and teachers and would alow us to always stay on top of our assignments.

Tidewater Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.